Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What policies would you like to see introduced in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Age of adult criminal responsibility reduced to 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JeffKenna wrote:
    It's a crazy situation that you can have people with 100's on convictions walking the street committing further crime.

Maybe we should be more proactive in trying to prevent crime in the first place
    JeffKenna wrote:
    Children's allowance should stop after the second child.

Would this encourage more crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Kneecapping for anyone who puts their feet up on seats on public transport, their limp would remind others not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Do away with childrens allowance and use the money to provide creches for the children of working people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Would this encourage more crime?

How so?

Of course we should be proactive in trying to prevent crime but it shouldn't be an either or situation.

Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JeffKenna wrote:
    Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime.

Ah don't mind that nonsense, it generally doesn't work in preventing crime, there's loads of research on the root causes of crime, has been for decades, but we ve largely decided to ignore it, or act poorly on it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A flat rate of tax on cars. I have two cars with a combined age of 34 years, it costs €2200 a year to tax them both at €1100 each. My other half's 4 year old car is €190. Where is the logic in that?
    well what engines are in your cars? what are the emissions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Zero emissions to make a new car.

A proper decentralisation of Ireland. Not one where a government department moves to the constituency of the minister of that department, obviously. A commission like an electoral boundaries' commission that is impartial and using demography and geographical information to reshape settlement in Ireland should be established.
    The whole place has shifted to Dublin in the past 50-60 years, and spreading the resources of the state across the state would solve an enormous number of problems.

Also, related to the above: implement Wicklow County Council planning permission rules across Ireland. It's the wild west everywhere else, with zero respect for the traditional built heritage of each area and any cultureless eejit allowed to blight an area with his embarrassing symbol of "success" sticking out like a sore thumb on a gorgeous landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

A change of culture which holds people to account, whether they be politicians, white-collar workers, public servants, convicted criminals

• Advertisement

Zero emissions to make a new car.

of course plenty of emissions just saying thats how the tax is calculated. its not a secret formula.

Gorteen wrote: »
    A change of culture which holds people to account, whether they be politicians, white-collar workers, public servants, convicted criminals

stay classy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

of course plenty of emissions just saying thats how the tax is calculated. its not a secret formula.

Yeah that's how it's calculated and that calculation is what the poster said they'd like to see changed. That's the whole idea behind the thread. If not you could just reply to every post in it with "yeah but that's how it is".

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Mandatory minimum sentences for anything over 5 convictions.
    e.g.
    Conviction 6 - 1 year plus whatever the normal sentence is.
    Conviction 7 - 2 years plus whatever the normal sentence is.
    And if you get caught and charged for more than one crime then the sentences run consecutively.

So if you get a judge that likes to give suspended sentences, fine. You'll get the suspended sentence plus time in jail.

Kinda fed up reading about guys with 20 previous convictions getting conviction number 21 suspended because they have kids or had a hard upbringing. Thats all well and good until you or somebody you know is victim number 22.

Edit: and this doesn't mean you ignore crime prevention methods. Of course not. Continue with education and rejuvenation and whatever else, but there are some scumbags that just don't care. I don't care about punishing criminals, I care about society being protected from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Politicians who are proven to have lied in the dail or in the media get barred from being a politician for 10 years.

I'm not talking about a mistake, everybody makes those. I'm talking about the kind of system where they've ended up in the UK or the US where politicians will just double down and treble down on provable lies and some people keep falling for it.

And, no that wouldn't mean that all of our politicians would be barred from day one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Wanderer78 wrote:

I agree.

Anyone with over 10 convictions should be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Accountability among politicians
    Reduction in accident/claims fraud
    Reduction in S/W based on crimes committed and reduction if long term s
    Everyone pay 10 euro a week inc pensioners and s/w for health
    No ethnic minorities
    Land tax and water tax
    Actually collect corporation tax
    Put legal alcohol limit back to 2017 levels
    Legalise canabis and cocaine
    Stricter limits on gambling

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

1. Increase penalties for violent crimes, sexual offences etc
    2. End concurrent sentencing
    3. Three strikes and you’re automatically on the highest sentence
    4. Custodial sentences for theft (shoplifting and burglary), assault etc
    5. Social housing eligibility audits every 18mths/2 years; if you’re oversupplied, you move, if your circumstances have improved, you move - it’s a hand up, not a handout
    6. Long term unemployed (6mths+), you must attend training or internships Monday to Friday unless at an interview. Failure to appear cancels your dole.
    6.a. The WRC would be prevented from claiming DES/DSP are unfair - your dole money is your pay
    6.b. Those in internships would receive a transport allowance
    7. Those in social housing on employment benefits would be prevented from travelling abroad; if Joe Murphy who goes to work 5 days a week and houses himself and family by himself can’t afford two weeks all inclusive in Spain, Ciara who gets the lot for free off the taxpayer doesn’t get to go either.
    8. Scrap the child benefit - paying people to breed (and often not the families who we want reproducing). Use it for childcare for workers.
    9. Delinquent children; parents are charged with neglect and liable for costs unless the child is surrendered to borstal
    10. Introduce noise laws where the guards can actually intervene; confiscate stereo equipment, arrest them for disturbing the peace.
    11. Social housing priorities key workers (emergency services, teachers, council services)
    12. Turn down a social housing home once only; second time you’re off the list
    13. Curfew - all children under the age of 10 home by 8pm unless accompanied by a responsible adult, age of 13 by 9 and age of 16 by 10
    14. Remove plastic packaging off fresh food and allow fill a bag Why does a cucumber need to be plastic wrapped? Why be forced to buy ten apples when you only need two? Food waste and plastic waste!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

A 2.4 diesel at 179g/km and 2.5 petrol at 215g/km. Hers is 115g/km. Hers are lower but isn't better for the environment to use a car until it isn't useable anymore rather than a continuous use of precious and environmentally damaging resources to produce a constant cycle of new cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

everyone pays some income tax however small. not the current situation where up to a million part time or low earners contribute nothing to the tax take.

massive investment in domestic industries, need to get away from FDI dependence

end concurrent sentencing for repeat offenders and increase prison capacity.

decriminalise drug possession.

Good luck getting people to work in these jobs so. Proper pension scheme for every worker in the country no matter your job type. Part time or full. This needs high priority.

• Advertisement

A 2.4 diesel at 179g/km and 2.5 petrol at 215g/km. Hers is 115g/km. Hers are lower but isn't better for the environment to use a car until it isn't useable anymore rather than a continuous use of precious and environmentally damaging resources to produce a constant cycle of new cars?
    yeah absolutely valid point but higher emissions cars still need to be taxed accordingly, no?

Good luck getting people to work in these jobs so.
    if welfare is simultaneously reduced they'll work them alright.

yeah absolutely valid point but higher emissions cars still need to be taxed accordingly, no?

I suppose so but not in such a punitive manner. My 2.4 diesel is effectively worthless due to age and tax rate but it is serviceable and driving fine yet I have to pay through the nose to use it. Reduce, reuse, recycle in action.

My 2.5 petrol is an appreciating classic which was driven less than 2k miles last year and only taxed for 3 months at €305. Had it been a flat rate of €500 for instance for the year I'd have paid it meaning the more tax take plus increased excise on fuel used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

if welfare is simultaneously reduced they'll work them alright.

I've worked these jobs in the past. A lot of the time the work is harder than the better paid ones. I wouldn't work them if ya forced me to pay a massive chunk in tax. So no incentive really.
    More onus on employers to provide proper full time employment for their employees. Not on going temp contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Whether it's lower income taxes or lower social welfare spending, something that makes working worthwhile.

Public flogging for pseudo intellectual geebags who stick the word 'neo' in front of whatever word they use to describe people.

I've worked these jobs in the past. A lot of the time the work is harder than the better paid ones. I wouldn't work them if ya forced me to pay a massive chunk in tax. So no incentive really.
    no massive chunk necessary. just some. currently way too may workers paying no tax while the "squeezed middle" are...squeezed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

1. Long term unemployed to made to work in the next available job, or else lose their benefits.

2. Stricter controls around disability benefits.

3. Stop and search powers for Gardai.

4. Shut down direct provision and expel illegal immigrants. Use this to house the homeless.

5. Jail the homeless who refuse to accept the above .

6. Skirts and high heels mandatory for women in the workplace.

7. Extra benefits to women who choose to put their family ahead of career.

8. Zero tolerance on drugs. Life for repeat offenders.

9. Hard labour for prisoners, men and women.

10. Irish citizens (by blood) given prority in hospital waiting lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Let the victims of crime have a say in the punishment of convicted offenders. I would even let them flog them. It would save the state banging them up in prison for a few months and may act as a better deterrent.

PV solar panels on all new builds.

Ban one-off housing.

Ban stupid objections to critical pieces of infrastructure.

Cap welfare

Cap child benefit. Actually, get rid of child benefit and put the money into early years education.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

1. Long term unemployed to made to work in the next available job, or else lose their benefits.

2. Stricter controls around disability benefits.

3. Stop and search powers for Gardai.

4. Shut down direct provision and expel illegal immigrants. Use this to house the homeless.

5. Jail the homeless who refuse to accept the above .

6. Skirts and high heels mandatory for women in the workplace.

7. Extra benefits to women who choose to put their family ahead of career.

8. Zero tolerance on drugs. Life for repeat offenders.

9. Hard labour for prisoners, men and women.

10. Irish citizens (by blood) given prority in hospital waiting lists.

Der Fuhrer would be fond of you.

• Advertisement

A removal of the building height restrictions within our cities.

Only locals or property owners in an area can object to planning applications. Why should someone in Dublin decide what happens in rural Kerry, unless they actually will be affected.

Advertisement