Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What policies would you like to see introduced in Ireland

Options
  • 03-03-2019 1:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭

If you were a politician, what would you like to see introduced to make Ireland better?
    • I'd like canbis legalised. If nothing else, a lot of tax revenue could be raised
    • Reduction in plastic usage. I don't think anything is being to curtail plastic usage. I hate plastic, and the cronic waste. Especially when you go shopping for examples. Fruit does not need to be wrapped in plastic. We do not need 20 plastic bags to carry our shopping. I'd introduce a hefty plastic levy.
    • Harsher penalites on animal cruelty, rape, and murder convitions. The punishments are laughable in this country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Lower tax rates on overtime be nice, I dont see the need to crucify people who put in extra hours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

devlinio wrote: »
    Reduction in plastic usage. I don't think anything is being to curtail plastic usage. I hate plastic, and the cronic waste. Especially when you go shopping for examples. Fruit does not need to be wrapped in plastic. We do not need 20 plastic bags to carry our shopping. I'd introduce a hefty plastic levy.

They introduced a plastic bag levy about 15 years ago, if you believe the stats it accounted for a 90% drop in plastic usage at the time so if you think it's particularly bad now (it's not) try to imagine what it was like back then when plastic bags were free. It's still in effect btw

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Lower tax rates on overtime be nice, I dont see the need to crucify people who put in extra hours.

I agree with this. There needs to be more tax bands to cater for different amounts of incomes. 40% on everything over everything is sick.

I don't agree with USC on principle. But that way of income taxation should replace the current income tax band.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

They introduced a plastic bag levy about 15 years ago, if you believe the stats it accounted for a 90% drop in plastic usage at the time so if you think it's particularly bad now (it's not) try to imagine what it was like back then when plastic bags were free. It's still in effect btw

That's why I think it should be increased. I know people will say that you're just taxing the situation away. But the only way people change their habits, is if it hits them in the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

Let me buy a beer whenever I want to for the love of holy f**k

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted Johnson

The death penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Conscription for everyone between the ages of 18 and 24 .
    None of this serving for a year or so helping old people or working in the community , it's the full six years in the army and no leave for your first five years either.
    And if you're caught with drugs in your system or an STI , it's another six years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Zero tolerance on using the car horn as the ah-jaysis-howehye button.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The day-fine system which is currently in use in most baltic states

Without going into an overly complicated explanation - fines for minor offenses (speeding, littering etc) are calculated based on your net worth. A rich guy can get a fine of hundreds of thousands whereas someone on a more modest means gets a much smaller fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anyone that says ''this country is a joke'' or ''only in Ireland'' should be shot with balls of Shane Mc Gowan's shite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Reptilia10

Tough laws on delinquency and anti social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Introduction of Workers control through workers councils & committes.

The Nationalization of key industries, energy, banking, natural resources, transport etc...

De-criminalization of all drugs.

Holocaust denial should be made illegal like in some other European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A complete ban on Dublin accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Abolition of concurrent sentences in the justice system.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I'd ban onions, and seize them at the airport.

vaccination denial would be an offence, as would revisionism.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Hanging and deportation of the new Irish for commiting a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Why would you bother deporting them after they've been hanged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Introduction of Workers control through workers councils & committes.

The Nationalization of key industries, energy, banking, natural resources, transport etc...

Yeah like that worked out well for countries East of the Berlin Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

All depends on the severity of the crime. Small crime 2 strikes deportation. High crime aggravated assault murder etc hanging.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

All depends on the severity of the crime. Small crime 2 strikes deportation. High crime aggravated assault murder etc hanging.
    Good idea. Everyone knows murders by Irish people aren't as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Encourage multi-national companies to set up operations in areas in need of jobs, within reason.

Ongoing law reform.

Increase the tax threshold on earnings.

No state support for any religion.

General engineering programs to be thought in all schools.

Physical education to be mandatory in all schools. Not a Games class but a fitness class.

Abolish the Seanad.

'Broken windows' and RICO-like policing practices.

Stricter immigration policies.

Expand free training courses and initiatives such as Springboard.

Better architecture (aesthetics) and infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I'd ban onions, and seize them at the airport.

vaccination denial would be an offence, as would revisionism.

So you would want to cancel how people want to cancel their interpretation of the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

JDD1006-2__00507.1390359141.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Banish the word ‘Entitlement’ from the English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

devlinio wrote: »
    If you were a politician, what would you like to see introduced to make Ireland better?
    • Reduction in plastic usage. I don't think anything is being to curtail plastic usage. I hate plastic, and the cronic waste. Especially when you go shopping for examples. Fruit does not need to be wrapped in plastic. We do not need 20 plastic bags to carry our shopping. I'd introduce a hefty plastic levy.

+1 for me on that but the problem with a levy is that people will become accustomed to paying it. Maybe ban sale of items wrapped in excess packaging?

Also
    • I would like to see stronger enforcement of quality cycling and public transport facilities. Particularly the cycling. I think every school (national and secondary) should promote cycling to it and it become a requirement that the infrastructure is in place so that any child from within 5 km can cycle to it.
    • I would like to see a policy of older dwellings being refurbished ahead of new builds.
    • Meaningful promotion of sustainable enterprises in areas outside of the largest cities. Still urban located but that might allow 10-15 people to stay and work in the likes of Kilrush, Bundoran, Moate, Bantry etc.
    • Location of National facilities outside of Dublin. Whether hospital, crime lab, concert venue, whatever, for at least the next 30 years, first preference should be to find meaningful ways to promote Cork, Galway, Limerick ahead of Dublin etc (I've nothing against it, I like the city but we have 33% of population in 1.3% of the land area of the country. It's not ideal)
    • A massive scheme of the planting of native forests in every county. Plant them on land which has been left fallow or is not suitable for agriculture. Consider walking paths and associated facilities throughout them from the outset.

Sure I will think of some more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

everyone pays some income tax however small. not the current situation where up to a million part time or low earners contribute nothing to the tax take.

massive investment in domestic industries, need to get away from FDI dependence

end concurrent sentencing for repeat offenders and increase prison capacity.

decriminalise drug possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Land value tax

the banning of all black bin waste materials to be sold in the country, forced reduction of all other materials entering our market

increase in corporation tax, this increase to be accepted in stocks and shares of the corporations, and placed in a sovereign wealth fund.

Introduction of a public banking system

Employ some non neoliberal/neoclassically trained economists, sack those that are, they can take their supply and demand nonsense with them

Force all corporations to increase pay to all employees, possibly by paying them in stocks and shares. Index link all pay within corporations.

Enforce some sort of control on our banking sector, sack and jail individuals if needs be

Major investments in green tech, and movement away from fossil fuels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Allow free choice again and stop using everything as a means of dipping hands in our pockets, the environment being the latest blanket "grab all" excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

A flat rate of tax on cars. I have two cars with a combined age of 34 years, it costs €2200 a year to tax them both at €1100 each. My other half's 4 year old car is €190. Where is the logic in that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Three strike rule like in the US.

It's a crazy situation that you can have people with 100's of convictions walking the street committing further crime.

Children's allowance should stop after the second child.

Advertisement