Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Brolly tweet about school match

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Do we have to wait for a no score draw in the All Ireland championship before something is done?

Should the referee not have got involved and instructed the players to...well actually play...or abandon the match

The quality of the game isn't the referees job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I've seen some schools rugby games finish 6-3

So that's 2 scores to 1.
    I don't remember an outcry about the state of rugbt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Its a team game. And the sum of the abbey teams is better than the parts. Would people prefer if they got hammered?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Should the referee not have got involved and instructed the players to...well actually play...or abandon the match

That's nonsense. Not the refs job to tell a team how to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Augme

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Its completely the coaches fault!

Not soley. It's the clubs and parents fault. As a coach your job is to win and if you don't win then the clubs and parents aren't going to want you as a coach. If this style gives the coach the best chance to win it's a difficult position for him to not go with it.

Parents are the worst tbh. A huge amount of little interest in seeing their kid develop but just want to see then win.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

+1 here for it being the coaches fault.
    Parents can be a source of problem in getting involved in how teams play from the sidelines without being willing to get involved officially but this came from the coach.

It most definitely should not be all about winning. Ending a GAA game on a score of 0-2 to 0-1 should be embarrassing to put your name to it.

Colm Parkinson was apoplectic on Twitter yesterday about this. Named the coach involved and lambasted him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

yabadabado wrote: »
    That's nonsense. Not the refs job to tell a team how to play.

Nope, but like a jockey being banned for not trying on a horse....the gaa will now have to make sure this situation never arises again .

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

nice_guy80 wrote: »

So that's 2 scores to 1.

You could have an absorbing game of rugby where the two teams go at each other hammer and thongs and end with a 6-3.
    Still a much better spectacle than that dross in the op.

That's basically basketball on a much bigger playing area with 30 players

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You could have an absorbing game of rugby where the two teams go at each other hammer and thongs and end with a 6-3.
    Still a much better spectacle than that dross in the op.

That's basically basketball on a much bigger playing area with 30 players

With no shot clock.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

With no shot clock.

Have you just stumbled on a solution?? :)

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Have you just stumbled on a solution?? :)

They tried something similar with the consecutive hand pass rule and we saw how that worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,488 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Young lads should be allowed show their skills and flair and not be stymied by coaches. At that age and up to minor they should be not even coaching defensive rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The shot clock would encourage this drivel more.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

I'm not trying to be smart, but how do you attack or defend without goals. Isn't the object to defend or attack a goal? Not a ball?

kippy wrote:
    The GAA have to do something alright - but what to do is the difficult one. How does one incentivise attacking and skill full play, that may not necessarily lead to winning matches?

How about (as in basketball) once the ball is in possession of a team, crosses the half way line, the ball cannot be played back into the team's own half again during the possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So that's 2 scores to 1.

And I've seen soccer matches with no scores at all, 0-0 draws all over the place, whats up with that?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭howiya

The shot clock would encourage this drivel more.

To a point. You'd likely see both teams defend this way with a shot clock but the attacking team would take more risks because they know if they lose the ball they'll get it back after the allotted time elapses.

I would have to see it trial led before coming down in favour or against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

And I've seen soccer matches with no scores at all, 0-0 draws all over the place, whats up with that?

:rolleyes:

Usually both teams have a go. They don't sit in their respective half of the pitch for 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Nope, but like a jockey being banned for not trying on a horse....the gaa will now have to make sure this situation never arises again .

Not a thing the GAA can do about unless there is a change in rules.That will have to be passed at Congress, the very same thing could happen at any game today .
    That is absolutely nothing like a jockey for not trying.

So that's 2 scores to 1.

Next compare these apples to oranges

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

tuxy wrote: »
    All sports evolve, this is currently the most effective way of winning. Just give it time for coaches to come up with counter tactics to this kind of play. Once the game isn't flawed at a fundamental level(it isn't) this will be just a short lived fad. I'm actually excited to see how it evolves from here.

Logically though, the tactics make sense in the U15 game. Stuff the defence and restrict opposition to long shots, because lads of this age are less likely to have the strength to kick from distance. I suppose a counter tactic would be to run at the defence and draw fouls closer in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Do we have to wait for a no score draw in the All Ireland championship before something is done?

Well another side of it is that nobody has won or probably will win an all Ireland playing this defensively. And before you say Donegal, the year they won they had perfected a style of quickly transitioning from defence to attack. It's a style which will let teams grind out the odd win, but as a long term strategy it doesn't work

Well another side of it is that nobody has won or probably will win an all Ireland playing this defensively. And before you say Donegal, the year they won they had perfected a style of quickly transitioning from defence to attack. It's a style which will let teams grind out the odd win, but as a long term strategy it doesn't work

I'm not saying the two teams who will eventually thrill us with the nil all draw will be all ireland contenders. One of the best games of football I seen last year was Dublin v Carlow as they were pure dogged, attacked Dublin constantly and basically said we may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

So that's 2 scores to 1.

Who gives a ****e about rugby?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

Edgware wrote: »
    Who gives a ****e about rugby?

Me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Not the coaches fault, and indeed slightly unfair on the 14/15 yr old lads being called out online in this manner. Coaches will (generally) play the game more or less within the rules to get positive results. It's not their job to provide an entertaining game, to paraphrase Eamonn Dunphy one time, if you want entertainment, go to the pictures.

The top brass at GAA Hq need to cop the fvck on and adjust the rules to keep the game alive as a spectacle. Every field sport (soccer, rugby, American football) constantly tweeks their rules in response to defensive coaching trends. Things like offside rules, what's allowed in the tackle etc are adjusted all the time, normally in favour of attacking at. Any attempt at doing this in gealic football in particular are met with a huge campaign of whinging and bitching from coaches, inevitably resulting in a volte face from the rule makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Not the coaches fault, and indeed slightly unfair on the 14/15 yr old lads being called out online in this manner. Coaches will (generally) play the game more or less within the rules to get positive results. It's not their job to provide an entertaining game, to paraphrase Eamonn Dunphy one time, if you want entertainment, go to the pictures.

The top brass at GAA Hq need to cop the fvck on and adjust the rules to keep the game alive as a spectacle. Every field sport (soccer, rugby, American football) constantly tweeks their rules in response to defensive coaching trends. Things like offside rules, what's allowed in the tackle etc are adjusted all the time, normally in favour of attacking at. Any attempt at doing this in gealic football in particular are met with a huge campaign of whinging and bitching from coaches, inevitably resulting in a volte face from the rule makers.

So which is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I don't think that's fair at all (not being disrespectful). It's a huge flaw in the game.
    In the rules.
    The Dubs turned this into an art form when they're leading games. So it gets to the stage where young lads and coaches watch it and look to make it work for them.
    I wouldn't blame the coach, I'd say he's trying to enhance his own team's chances.
    But everyone is gonna go down the same route and eventually the game is screwed then.
    So it has to be down to a change in the rules. But the changes so far seem either too difficult for a referee to keep track of or just entirely useless.

Football is in trouble.

Paper hat for the first one to blame Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Christy Ring was right.........."every football in the county should be cut in half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭shockframe

Seemed like a good game in the Munster Final Replay today.

PCD 3-10 St Brendans 0-16.

Why is it always the negatives that are overblown when it comes to Football?

Advertisement