Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sales agent told me off...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

I have no issue with someone bidding on multiple properties, but I don't see anything positive which could have been gained by letting the agent know this.

OP, what were you hoping to achieve by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

I once put in a bid on a property - This would have been in the early 00's before things went mental. It was a good bit below the asking price, and the Agent scoffed at me down the phone and said that would be totally unacceptable to the Client.

I had to remind him that I didn't need him to provide commentary on my offer, his job was to convey it to the Vendor and get back to me with an answer.

Some of these guys think they're Gordon Gekko or something.

Agreed, but these people have a certain power over the process, they dont gain much if the bid is only going up incrementally, neither do they lose much if they think its maxed out and they dont like you and go for a lower bid, they could tell the seller that they think that bid is more likely to go all the way.
    Estate agents are by far the worst to deal with, I think they are necessary but some of them are total ar$ehole$. Went to look at a place to view, was a few minutes early, went up to the door, agent in his car, he was fiddling about with the radio, I could see this, its not like he got out on the button to make a point, he waited, I started walking around the smace at the side and started to check things like the gutters and I shone a light up as it was later on, he starts hoping out straight away, the place had obviously been rented for a while and had been given a cursory facelift, he was all in a hurry to rush me then as I was looking around, he rightly pissed me off, but have to treat it as a necessary evil, and not pass comments back I think, just be plain, matter of fact and unphased, still, interested in pointers for dealing with them.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭Kidkinobe

CPTM wrote: »
    Would a delayed response not give the impression that you are reaching your limit, making the other bidder go again in case it's your last attempt? Just an idea, fast bid on your part might reduce hope on the other side.

Separately, Estate agents don't care about you and only want the sale. They do this everyday and don't care for side comments or what other property you care about. Ideally you and the other party would have decided internally what the max price you'll pay, and it should be an easy, incremental path to get there. So I would recommend deciding what that figure is for you and forget about any personalities or games involved.

Also, he was probably upset that you mentioned the other property because I'm sure he has experienced the 'time wasters' who are the highest bidders but pull out of the process after other interested parties have moved on. So he's trying to get a feel for whether you really want this one or the other so that he doesn't have to start the process all over again.

Sticking to bids of 1000 gives nothing away to anyone, the agent does not know how much I have to spend and the other bidders suddenly reducing their 4k offers tell me that its reaching close to their limit. And why over bid by a 3/4 k when 1k might be all I need to win the property..1k bids are pretty generous.
    And the agent has no reason to get upset, the property has to go through a survey before he can rip down the sale agreed sign and put up a sold sign, so I would be a serious buyer but if the survey sucks, I'm suddenly not a serious buyer unless the price is dropped to meet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Kidkinobe wrote: »
    I'm suddenly not a serious buyer unless the price is dropped to meet

You've told the agent there's a reasonable chance you're going to buy another property anyway and your dribbling your bids out in small increments while trying to drag out the process.

There's a strong chance the agent already has you in the 'not a serious buyer' category.

skallywag wrote: »
    I have no issue with someone bidding on multiple properties, but I don't see anything positive which could have been gained by letting the agent know this.

What makes you think I was wanting to achieve anything? I was just being straight up with him, the house will sell for what someone is willing to pay for it, every agent knows this and every agent knows that a buyer will want the best value for his dollar.
    Its his job to sell houses and he has to take every offer as a serious offer.
    And what was the agent hoping to achieve by getting a bit short with me on the phone, If I was a sensitive soul I might have told him to stick his house meaning the people he is selling the house for would have just missed out on a higher offer...Is that the type of agent you would want selling your house?

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    You've told the agent there's a reasonable chance you're going to buy another property anyway and your dribbling your bids out in small increments while trying to drag out the process.

There's a strong chance the agent already has you in the 'not a serious buyer' category.
    Whatever he thinks, he still will have to accept my offer as a serious offer otherwise it would eventually get around that he is a crap real estate agent and doesn't get top dollar for sales. And lets. face it...who would use an agent that doesn't follow up on all offers, serious or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That was the agents point of view this morning on the phone..I said to him you are in the game to sell houses at market value/highest bidder and it usually is sold to the person that wants it the most...Moral values don't come into it...If I really want a house and have 200k to put on the house, but the other person has 201k....thats just my tough luck and all the more reason to be looking at other places that appeal to me in the meantime...

It’s better not to let the agent know that you are bidding on two houses. By all means explain that you have strong interest in another house to get him to press his client to deal a deal. By disclosing that you are bidding on another house you are letting the agent believe you are only half-committed to your bid, ie even if you are the last bidder there is a decent chance that you won’t complete the deal. That’s the worst if all worlds for an agent. You need to play them not put them off. Ask him for a price that his client will sell at and not entertain other bidders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

Well I had assumed to you mentioned it on purpose to him, rather than it being something which was more just mentioned in passing.

I agree with you that he sounds like a dick, and I would also not want to be dealing with someone like him. If it was me though I just would never have told him that I was also second bidding.

Whatever he thinks, he still will have to accept my offer as a serious offer otherwise it would eventually get around that he is a crap real estate agent and doesn't get top dollar for sales. And lets. face it...who would use an agent that doesn't follow up on all offers, serious or not..

Getting top dollar and getting a top dollar offer are not the same thing. If he thinks you are not seriously engaged then, from his perspective, you are spoiling his chance of selling to another bidder by pitching a price that you will not follow through on. That’s his nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Not true, if he was able to sniff out timewasters & sale agree a higher percentage of properties with reliable bidders who are actually serious about buying the property instead of playing games, thinking, they are being clever, he would be a lot more respected.

What makes you think your offer is a serious offer, you have already admitted that your bidding on other properties.

To be honest, from your posts, you seem like a typical timewaster & this is a good thing for the agent to find out early on in the sale process. God knows what you would be like in the latter stages. The seller wants a straightforward sale with someone who is actually genuine in their efforts to purchase the property, not always necessarily the highest price with someone who is flippant & will pull out over the smallest thing or move onto another property if they see it advertised slightly cheaper than the one they are sale agreed on.

Nothing to do with the agent, its your attitude that needs correcting in this area.

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    It’s better not to let the agent know that you are bidding on two houses. By all means explain that you have strong interest in another house to get him to press his client to deal a deal. By disclosing that you are bidding on another house you are letting the agent believe you are only half-committed to your bid, ie even if you are the last bidder there is a decent chance that you won’t complete the deal. That’s the worst if all worlds for an agent. You need to play them not put them off. Ask him for a price that his client will sell at and not entertain other bidders.
    Its not the type of house anyone could put a price on and if they could, it would be way less than the offers that are on it now.

Its not the type of house anyone could put a price on and if they could, it would be way less than the offers that are on it now.

If you want to close ask for a price they are willing to sell at; every seller has a price irrespective of how unusual the property or how thin the market.

Not true, if he was able to sniff out timewasters & sale agree a higher percentage of properties with reliable bidders who are actually serious about buying the property instead of playing games, thinking, they are being clever, he would be a lot more respected.

What makes you think your offer is a serious offer, you have already admitted that your bidding on other properties.

To be honest, from your posts, you seem like a typical timewaster & this is a good thing for the agent to find out early on in the sale process. God knows what you would be like in the latter stages. The seller wants a straightforward sale with someone who is actually genuine in their efforts to purchase the property, not always necessarily the highest price with someone who is flippant & will pull out over the smallest thing or move onto another property if they see it advertised slightly cheaper than the one they are sale agreed on.

Nothing to do with the agent, its your attitude that needs correcting in this area.
    Well clearly he does not have the ability to sniff out serious buyers. The first day I saw the house I told him it was exactly what I am looking for..,maybe he has forgot that as there was about 40/50 people at the property all wanting a piece of it.

Marcusm wrote: »
    If you want to close ask for a price they are willing to sell at; every seller has a price irrespective of how unusual the property or how thin the market.

Like I said above, I need the sale to drag out because of my circumstances. Rushing it will put me into a position where I might lose out.

Can anyone spot the real estate agent in the above posts....

Well clearly he does not have the ability to sniff out serious buyers. The first day I saw the house I told him it was exactly what I am looking for..,maybe he has forgot that as there was about 40/50 people at the property all wanting a piece of it.

So he is supposed to take you at your word immediately without knowing you from Adam & give you priority based on this.

Good thing he hasnt & is unlikely to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

skallywag wrote: »

i'd have thought the agent would be happy to have people bidding up the price. Higher price means happier vendor, more commission.

So he is supposed to take you at your word immediately without knowing you from Adam & give you priority based on this.

Good thing he hasnt & is unlikely to do so.

Well yes, because that is what they do for a living...let me explain...People give them permission to sell their house and will pay him commission for them to get the highest offer, the agent advertises the house and asks people make a bid on it, People, like me bid on it until a deal is reached, the buyer then gives money to the seller and the seller pays the agent..Even if I wasnt a serious bidder,I have just pushed the price up by another 10k and the agent receives an ever bigger commission...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

FYP
    People give them permission to sell their house and will pay him commission for them to get the highest offer highest sale price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

Well yes, because that is what they do for a living...let me explain...People give them permission to sell their house and will pay him commission for them to get the highest offer, the agent advertises the house and asks people make a bid on it, People, like me bid on it until a deal is reached, the buyer then gives money to the seller and the seller pays the agent..Even if I wasnt a serious bidder,I have just pushed the price up by another 10k and the agent receives an ever bigger commission...

How much commission to you think he'll make from that 10K? In the meantime you've introduced and unwanted variable in the sale - you could drive others away by bidding and not even buy the house at the end of the day. The agent doesn’t know for sure whether you'll follow through with your offer or decide that you prefer the other property.

• Advertisement

Your posts indicate you are very naive. Do you know how many people are likely to say this to an agent only to change their minds a few days later. But because its you, they should take you seriously although I'm sure they can smell the bull**** a mile off.

<mod snip>

Keep it civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

People, like me bid on it until a deal is reached, the buyer then gives money to the seller and the seller pays the agent..Even if I wasnt a serious bidder,I have just pushed the price up by another 10k and the agent receives an ever bigger commission...
    1% of nothing is nothing if you both pull out. The agent is annoyed as you are speculating on a few houses.

But consider that he has used the tactic of mock anger to make you increase your bid; I'm sure others have done so as a way to apologize to the agent.

Like in poker; you don't show your hand to the other players.

Your posts indicate you are very naive. Do you know how many people are likely to say this to an agent only to change their minds a few days later. But because its you, they should take you seriously although I'm sure they can smell the bull**** a mile off.

<mod snip>

Keep it civil.
    Well that was will timed...agent rang me while your were furiously hammering away on your keyboard and asked for proof that I had the funds for the cash sale.

the_syco wrote: »
    1% of nothing is nothing if you both pull out. The agent is annoyed as you are speculating on a few houses.

But consider that he has used the tactic of mock anger to make you increase your bid; I'm sure others have done so as a way to apologize to the agent.

Like in poker; you don't show your hand to the other players.
    Of course you never show your hand in poker but all good poker players will occasionally pull out a bluff...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Like I said above, I need the sale to drag out because of my circumstances. Rushing it will put me into a position where I might lose out.

So you are kind of messing about then, you aren't in a position to buy and are pushing the price up for the other bidder. Can blame EA for asking for proof of funds. Seller may want quick sale at lower price with other bidder in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

To be honest if its known your bidding on multiple properties it means your less committed on this property. The sellers might well just want the sale to go through smoothly.

Normally if bidders are getting tecthy about drawn out bidding in small increments creeping up above the asking they will wrap the process up by asking all the parties to put forward their best and final bids.

Quite a lot of cash purchasers will bid on multiple properties, scare off other bidders with small bidding increments and then pick one building and abort the sale on the others.

Agent then has to go back to the underbidders and start again who may be out off at that point

pc7 wrote: »
    So you are kind of messing about then, you aren't in a position to buy and are pushing the price up for the other bidder. Can blame EA for asking for proof of funds. Seller may want quick sale at lower price with other bidder in this case.
    Seller doesn't want a quick sale..its being empty the past 6 months...the seller is dead..may they RIP.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Seller doesn't want a quick sale..its being empty the past 6 months...the seller is dead..may they RIP.

Be careful if its going to probate, that can really delay things, you may be better off with the other property.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,303 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Your first post said you were a cash buyer?

Then you said

So do you have the cash or not?

If you have it fine, otherwise I think you are kind of messing the vendor and estate agent about.
    As well the current underbidder

• Advertisement

To be honest if its known your bidding on multiple properties it means your less committed on this property. The sellers might well just want the sale to go through smoothly.

Normally if bidders are getting tecthy about drawn out bidding in small increments creeping up above the asking they will wrap the process up by asking all the parties to put forward their best and final bids.

Quite a lot of cash purchasers will bid on multiple properties, scare off other bidders with small bidding increments and then pick one building and abort the sale on the others.

Agent then has to go back to the underbidders and start again who may be out off at that point
    Well that the nature of the game...Buyers are looking for the best deal and sellers are wanting the best price and thats where agents fit in, they are paid by the seller to get the best deal. If agents don't like what they do and the **** they have to put up with, they should not be doing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement