Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne show. Her name was Clodagh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/clodaghs-family-sues-killer-hawes-estate-over-trauma-37985266.html

Purpose behind the interview becomes a little murkier.

At almost exactly the same time as the mother / sister started to give interviews, pose for the photos etc they also started proceedings to attempt to get money from A Hawe estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Are you saying they don't have a right to be compensated for what he has put them through? Not everything belongs in the compo culture narrative that the media like to spin, they have suffered extreme psychological trauma at the loss of their sister/daughter and grandkids and have every right to take a case for damages owing to his actions. And btw Alan Hawe's own mother is suing his estate for compensation too, she has suffered as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,198 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

padser wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/clodaghs-family-sues-killer-hawes-estate-over-trauma-37985266.html

At almost exactly the same time as the mother / sister started to give interviews, pose for the photos etc they also started proceedings to attempt to get money from A Hawe estate.

When Alan did what he did he transferred money from the Joint account and put it in his own account. So I can see why they are peeved.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Good for them .Their loss was immeasurable and probably cost them a small fortune to bury their daughter and three gorgeous boys

Murkier?
    Murkier?

"Pose for photos? "
    Go to a mirror and take a long hard look at yourself. And then revaluate what you've just posted. Seriously.

Murkier?

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Are you saying they don't have a right to be compensated for what he has put them through? Not everything belongs in the compo culture narrative that the media like to spin, they have suffered extreme psychological trauma at the loss of their sister/daughter and grandkids and have every right to take a case for damages owing to his actions. And btw Alan Hawe's own mother is suing his estate for compensation too, she has suffered as well.

...and money always makes it better, does it????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Really and truly I think AH's family should have just handed the lot (house, money, etc) to the Coll family. Any financial gain is tainted with such pain and horror from what their relative did, they'd be better off making the only gesture they could towards the Colls. It's not like the Hawes ever expected to come into this money and they only did though his dreadful act so even for optics alone, it would look way better for them to hand it over.

You do relies they've big funeral Bill's/etc to pay for.
    I'd day they could do with a bit of counselling as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

It's not always about the money, this is literally the only form of justice that her mother and sister can go after.

You don't know if they will even keep the money , the point here is they were gravely wronged yet our laws as usual are still catching up so the perpetrator gains in a way.

Nothing will make it better , money might make it easier for them . And any small ease to their pain is a good thing

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Nothing will make it better , money might make it easier for them . And any small ease to their pain is a good thing

To be fair, 2 families have lost children, children in law and grandchildren.

Neither family have any responsibility for what happened - but both have been through something horrific.

I don't think either family have a monopoly on the grief caused here.

However, one family (specifically two members of it) started to wage a media war against the other and have now followed up with legal actions.

Genuine question. Two grandmothers have lost 3 grandsons. Do we genuinely believe that for some reason the maternal grandmother has some right to the family assets but not the paternal grandmother? If so, why?

Neither family have any responsibility for what happened - but both have been through something horrific.

However, one family (specifically two members of it) started to wage a media war against the other and have now followed up with legal actions.

Genuine question. Two grandmothers have lost 3 grandsons. Do we genuinely believe that for some reason the maternal grandmother has some right to the family assets but not the paternal grandmother? If so, why?

In this article it says that Clodagh's mother and sister want nothing from the estate and want it donated to charity.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/year-filled-love-sorrow-murdered-11068207.amp

In this article it says that Clodagh's mother and sister want nothing from the estate and want it donated to charity.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/year-filled-love-sorrow-murdered-11068207.amp

They have given interviews saying they believe it should be donated to charity.

Their legal action is to have themselves named as the beneficiaries of estate.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Really and truly I think AH's family should have just handed the lot (house, money, etc) to the Coll family. Any financial gain is tainted with such pain and horror from what their relative did, they'd be better off making the only gesture they could towards the Colls. It's not like the Hawes ever expected to come into this money and they only did though his dreadful act so even for optics alone, it would look way better for them to hand it over.

I think therea a huge focus on Clodaghs family.

But, her husbands family are almost forgotten about.

To be honest, I think their horror must be as great if not greater. It was their son who caused the deaths of 4 people. Their child, I cannot imagine a greater horror than knowing it was your flesh and blood who commited such an act. And the guilt they must feel. And raking it through the media, TV shows etc must be unbearable for them.

It might be cathartic for Clodaghs family but must be excruciatingly painful for the husbands family. Their son being demonised over and over again. To be fair, they did nothing wrong.

Do we know that the Mc Colls want it all ? I was not aware they did ? Maybe they just wanted their fair share and felt they needed to fight for it .

It might be cathartic for Clodaghs family but must be excruciatingly painful for the husbands family. Their son being demonised over and over again. To be fair, they did nothing wrong.

Yeah I completely agree.

At this point, it's not their son being demonized - it's them.

A completely innocent family.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

I agree they are innocent but how could they in good conscience accept all of the proceeds of the estate? If it was me I would give all to Clodagh’s family and if they didn’t accept it I would donate to Women’s Aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think therea a huge focus on Clodaghs family.

But, her husbands family are almost forgotten about.

To be honest, I think their horror must be as great if not greater. It was their son who caused the deaths of 4 people. Their child, I cannot imagine a greater horror than knowing it was your flesh and blood who commited such an act. And the guilt they must feel. And raking it through the media, TV shows etc must be unbearable for them.

All 100% correct. None of us have any control over our relatives actions and anyone could be in their shoes. The whole thing must have been and is horrendous for them. But they can only, imo, come out of this looking bad if they appear to be squabbling over the spoils. Their son caused the heartbreak here and really it's maybe all they can do towards atonement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

On the contrary, it becomes a lot clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Things have to be confusing for the hawes. Very confusing.
    I wish the whole thing would go from the media. It can hardly help the hawes find a way to settle this peacefully with all the rumors and inneudeno floating around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Yeah I completely agree.

At this point, it's not their son being demonized - it's them.

A completely innocent family.
    I've seen no demonization of the Hawe family. None whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

To get money from his estate. He came into his estate only because he killed his wife and three children in the most terrible way. That's how he got his estate. His estate that both him and Clodagh worked for. It wasn't all his money.

Murkier my arse.

Wow! You're accusing them of waging a media war. He killed four members of their family and they still don't know why. Would you not want to know?

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I wish the whole thing would go from the media. It can hardly help the hawes find a way to settle this peacefully with all the rumors and inneudeno floating around.

Ah yes... keep the whole thing out of the media... so Clodagh can end up like she was in the beginning - a nameless adjunct to that poor man. FFS!

Wow! You're accusing them of waging a media war. He killed four members of their family and they still don't know why. Would you not want to know?

!

They are waging a media war. They might have good reason to do so - but I think it's beyond question that they are waging a media war against the school and the Hawe family - neither of whom have any blame for the tragic position they find themselves in.

What's to know? He was clearly disturbed mentally. He stopped taking his medication. He killed his family. He planned doing it.

What's left to know?

Honestly, what is this "truth" that people seem to want to come out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Sometimes there is no why to be found. And knowing the why often doesn't help anything.

To get money from his estate. He came into his estate only because he killed his wife and three children in the most terrible way. That's how he got his estate. His estate that both him and Clodagh worked for. It wasn't all his money.

Murkier my arse.

Bobtheman wrote: »

Ah yes... keep the whole thing out of the media... so Clodagh can end up like she was in the beginning - a nameless adjunct to that poor man. FFS!
    I think you are virtue signaling and playing to the gallery. I never indicated such an opinion but play to the gallery all the same
    Bottom line is the law needs to be changed so nobody profits from murder.
    But the law is what is now. The hawes are people too. You might pick up a stone and throw it at them but they lost a son and daughter in law plus three grand children. They are not responsible for their sons behavior. His murders. The law as it exists is with them. Thus media stone throwing ain't going to help . Let them arrive at a reasonable conclusion.
    Meanwhile jump up and down on your feminist bandwagon. It amounts to a hill of beans

• Registered Users Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

They are waging a media war. They might have good reason to do so - but I think it's beyond question that they are waging a media war against the school and the Hawe family - neither of whom have any blame for the tragic position they find themselves in.

What's to know? He was clearly disturbed mentally. He stopped taking his medication. He killed his family. He planned doing it.

What's left to know?

This is what I've been wondering, I just don't know what accountability they're hoping or looking for.

This is what I've been wondering, I just don't know what accountability they're hoping or looking for.

Maybe they need to know why and who are we to judge them for that ? If one tiny snippet of information can help ease their horrendous pain then I for one would support them in that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

By Succession Law it would appear that the Hawe parents will inherit the lot as nearest surviving next of kin. Alan Hawe died last, so the devolution of the estate will speak from him now. Whether he left a will or not is not clear, but if he didn't his parents will inherit. If he did and his wife and children were named beneficiaries, the fact that they are deceased means he effectively died intestate.

There is nothing to stop the lawful successors from dividing the estate equally between the Hawes and the Colls once Probate has been granted. But if Hawes do this, the Colls will have a Gift Tax liability. I doubt they would care as long as the right thing is done in the circumstances.

Alternatively the Hawes could donate half the estate to Women's Aid or whomever, no tax payable.

I know it is not my decision, but that to me seems fair, and would obviate the need for endless litigation that will probably leave nothing to distribute anyway.

I just don't understand why the families cannot come to an agreement outside the courts. Surely that is possible.

What's left to know?

According to them the school made no contact since the incident when they were on Claire Byrne.
    Alan also said something along the lines of he was due a fall from grace and he had made contact with INTO/Teaching council.
    They probably wanted to know why was he contacting them and did something happen at the school.

What's left to know I don't know. It's important that all areas are fully investigated and it may prevent similar things happening in the future.

I don't think they've being bad to the Hawe family to be honest. They could have being a lot worse.
    They had an anniversary mass in the church for him where Clodagh was buried very close to and the county she's from. They could have done this in Kilkenny or privately in there home. That mass had to have being organised by somebody. Clodagh's family said they had issues with the mass being in the church but they didn't really give out about the Hawe family.

• Advertisement

What's left to know?

According to them the school made no contact since the incident when they were on Claire Byrne.
    Alan also said something along the lines of he was due a fall from grace and he had made contact with INTO/Teaching council.
    They probably wanted to know why was he contacting them and did something happen at the school.

What's left to know I don't know. It's important that all areas are fully investigated and it may prevent similar things happening in the future.

I don't think they've being bad to the Hawe family to be honest. They could have being a lot worse.
    They had an anniversary mass in the church for him where Clodagh was buried very close to and the county she's from. They could have done this in Kilkenny or privately in there home. That mass had to have being organised by somebody. Clodagh's family said they had issues with the mass being in the church but they didn't really give out about the Hawe family.
    Again let me ask you if you were a hawe how would you deal with all of this. Confusing emotions. Can you imagine if your brother did this crime. Give them a break. It will be sorted. Stop the virue signalling

Advertisement