Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claire Byrne show. Her name was Clodagh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭holliehobbie

marvin80 wrote: »
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Did I hear Clodaghs sister sadly mention that her husband had also passed away ?
    Jacqueline spoke so lovingly about her sister and nephews

Awful tragedies for the family to cope with:

"This was not the first tragedy suffered by Clodagh's family. Her brother, Tadhg, took his life in September 2010. Three years later, Jacqueline Connolly's husband, Richie, also took his life."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39877325

I thought Jacqueline's husband had cancer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

I'd imagine no one from the Hawe family is speaking out of pure shame.

The primary victims are Clodagh, the boys and her family.

The Hawes are victims, albeit at a far lower level. Could you imagine facing the world if your brother, son did what Alan Hawe did..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me did the children attend the same school as the father or not ?

Well the oldest lad was gone into secondary but the others did go but I could be wrong. It was the local school I think.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It really is the most shocking, barbaric and violent event in this country in this century. Clodagh’s family deserve answers.

I sincerely hope the house is demolished if it hasn’t already been. No one would want to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Marengo wrote: »
    The Hawes are victims, albeit at a far lower level. Could you imagine facing the world if your brother, son did what Alan Hawe did..

I don’t know how they’re not pressing for answers too. They lost grandchildren/nephews also.

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It really is the most shocking, barbaric and violent event in this country in this century. Clodah’s family deserve answers.

I sincerely hope the house is demolished if it hasn’t already been. No one would want to buy it.

There have been similar. The Wexford 2008 case comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'd imagine no one from the Hawe family is speaking out of pure shame.

The primary victims are Clodagh, the boys and her family.

Sorry to say it, but it is like a mega Lotto win, all eyes on you for a week or so, then nothing.

But then again rural communities are tight lipped anyway. But they will always know about the Hawes anyway. But his family are not to blame are they? Just him.

I know I'll be laughed out of the place, ridiculed for this comment.

But with Jennifer's husband taking his life and this unbelievable tragedy it's like there is, in the old Irish phrase for bad luck, a mí adh, on the family.

We all know families that suffer a lot of tragedies, road accidents, early deaths, suicides etc, way beyond the norm.

I know first smart comment will be along the lines 'you're right you should be laughed out the place'!

However it's really an observation that for some inexplicable reason some families really suffer. However this is the absolute ultimate in human suffering. Anyway those are just thoughts which will be ridiculed.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭MintyMagnum

No you have it exactly right.

After Clodagh Hawe died, her assets passed in law to Alan Hawe, and since he was the last person alive, I'm pretty sure no will can even supersede the statutory provisions. So everything should pass to his next of kin.

Was the law not changed after Celine Cawley's murderer walked off their assets and their daughter was left fighting for her due?

Sorry to say it, but it is like a mega Lotto win, all eyes on you for a week or so, then nothing.

But then again rural communities are tight lipped anyway. But they will always know about the Hawes anyway. But his family are not to blame are they? Just him.

No way. In a rural community for generations that will be known. For example the grandchildren of a man who committed an infamous murder in Laois in 1949, yes 70 yrs ago, are still called the murderer *****'s descendants. 6 miles from me.

Yes just him to blame but the stigma carries on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Have the INTO made a statement or the school management.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Balagan1

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me did the children attend the same school as the father or not ?

The eldest boy was in secondary school in Virginia, the younger pair were in the national school where the father was vice-principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No you have it exactly right.

After Clodagh Hawe died, her assets passed in law to Alan Hawe, and since he was the last person alive, I'm pretty sure no will can even supersede the statutory provisions. So everything should pass to his next of kin.

He and his wife probably had a provision in their will that the kids should receive the assets but that's moot.

I recall a provision in my own will that if husband and wife both died within 24 hours, they are treated as having died simultaneously. The scenario he mentioned was a car crash, where one dies instantly and the other after a few hours. I understand that it is a standard provision.

I recall a provision in my own will that if husband and wife both died within 24 hours, they are treated as having died simultaneously. The scenario he mentioned was a car crash, where one dies instantly and the other after a few hours. I understand that it is a standard provision.

There may have been no will. Who knows?

If there was a will provision would have been made for such a scenario.

If no will, then Hawe's family inherit I think.

There have been similar. The Wexford 2008 case comes to mind.

I am aware of the TWO murder-suicides in Wexford in 2007 and 2008, the first in Monageer and the second in Clonroche. But the savagery and premeditation of the Hawe atrocity IMO lifts it above the other two in its brutality and degree of evil.

I am aware of the TWO murder-suicides in Wexford in 2007 and 2008, the first in Monageer and the second in Clonroche. But the savagery and premeditation of the Hawe atrocity IMO lifts it above the other two in its brutality and degree of evil.

Terrible tragedies also.

But you would have to be prompted (if not a local) to remember them now to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Cartroubles

Wasn't there another murder suicide in Wexford where a mother drowned herself and killed her kids too? Wexford Town I think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wasn't there another murder suicide in Wexford where a mother drowned herself and killed her kids too? Wexford Town I think ?

Sharon Grace? That’s going back a good while.
    Was there another one off a pier in duncannon- father in a car with kids?

Here is a link to some of the murder-suicides in Ireland from the year 2000.

http://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/05/17/news/more-than-two-dozen-murder-suicides-since-2000-1028162/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Cartroubles

road_high wrote: »
    Sharon Grace? That’s going back a good while.
    Was there another one off a pier in duncannon- father in a car with kids?

Yeah that's the one. 2005. Generally seemed not to be considered a murder suicide though, or at least the reporting doesn't use the word murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The Byrne case in Kilkenny is kind of like the Hawe case; I’d completely forgotten about it bar scant details
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/brief-fling-row-led-to-wifes-murder-26256626.html

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭howareyakid

Absolutely heartbreaking watch but important viewing at the same time. The family exuded class in what must have been very difficult circumstances for them. Find it so hard to believe that they have never got answers from the school in particular after everything that happened. I understand the need for confidentiality etc. but surely the extreme nature of this case negates that. Seems it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭deisemum

tretorn wrote: »
    Have the INTO made a statement or the school management.

Tonight's Prime Time read out a statement from the INTO - basically offering their condolences to the families and will not be making any more statements, so no they will not reveal anything to Clodagh's family.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

http://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/05/17/news/more-than-two-dozen-murder-suicides-since-2000-1028162/

Is there something to there being a high proportion if not all murder suicides that have happened here have taken place in rural Ireland? I mean not to insult anybody, but I have lived both in rural Ireland and in large cities, I feel that the sense of not sticking out or being different is far more a thing in rural communities, everyone knows each other, similar values/lifestyles etc leading to one repressing their real selves to avoid eyes on them, wheras in a big city if you’re different or quirky it’s no big deal and more likely to be accepted.

Calltocall wrote: »
    Is there something to there being a high proportion if not all murder suicides that have happened here have taken place in rural Ireland? I mean not to insult anybody, but I have lived both in rural Ireland and in large cities, I feel that the sense of not sticking out or being different is far more a thing in rural communities, everyone knows each other, similar values/lifestyles etc leading to one repressing their real selves to avoid eyes on them, wheras in a big city if you’re different or quirky it’s no big deal and more likely to be accepted.

That's one of these things that would require a lot of anyalis and research to be honest.
    Take for instance they appeared to be various situation in some of these cases that may have lead to what happened.

Was the law not changed after Celine Cawley's murderer walked off their assets and their daughter was left fighting for her due?

A bill was introduced to that effect last year , but has not progressed to law.

I am stunned that there appear to have been around two dozen murder suicides in Ireland since 2000. I remember the Wexford ones and the Tyrone one but over 24 in the space of under 20 years in our small country?:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I always thought you couldnt inherit from someone you murdered? Or do you have to be found guilty in a court for it to take affect?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I am stunned that there appear to have been around two dozen murder suicides in Ireland since 2000. I remember the Wexford ones and the Tyrone one but over 24 in the space of under 20 years in our small country?:(

That is just off the charts if the figure is accurate. What the hell?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Calltocall wrote: »

Adequate access to services is probably a bigger influence

Advertisement