Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Nature Pictures I Took Recently - II (Seasonal Photos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

@ IrishZeus "Rabbit" is a Hare....
    Great selection of photos.....

You've just settled a bet.

My wife hates you now.

:D:D:D

• Subscribers Posts: 686 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Repurposed baby bath working out well.

Frog-3.jpg

He submerged after I took the phone pic, so I didn't get a chance to grab the dslr.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

Robin
    tiXfRQm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Bumblebee in Salvia in the twilight of the evening.

516198.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Goldenrod crab spider.
    Had to google this fella, my neice spotted it on a plant. Never saw one before.
    IMG-20200614-164313.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Few from yesterday

50009458562_a4a751a0c4_c.jpg
    50009196956_d9a6078748_c.jpg
    50008667453_ec783d3ddf_c.jpg
    50009196891_3bfb7dd12e_c.jpg

Juvenile Blue Tit
    Y0c7T1o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Sea Slater

50012672063_f2ec497dd8_b.jpg

Swallow in flight
    ahGHJYS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sea Slater
    That's a new one on me, never heard of it and had to Google it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Alun wrote: »
    That's a new one on me, never heard of it and had to Google it.

Never knew the name either but saw it on the beach at the weekend. My first thought was 'wood louse' and from googling it they are related. Apparently they can be found along rocky beach shores and are a crustaecean.

I did pick the most 'dramatic' image to upload, it was a big 'un, easily 40mm long. If you look carefully in both pics there is a Mrs Slater underneath, they scuttled along as a 'couple'.....

50014227057_beb9c6b460_b.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They look like sea woodlice. :)

Came out of a shed today and this little fella landed on my back, hung on for a while and then fluttered into the undergrowth. I think it's a Tree Creeper.....

50017069811_ba567e263c_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Rook and Jackdaw sunbathing

50021966023_de2b45e3ea_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

From the AA/Readers Digest Book of British Birds:

Jackdaw desc.

...occasionally it even steals a home, making a cranny for itself in the base of the pile of sticks forming a rook's nest.

!!

Spotted Flycatcher with juvenile Chaffinch
    rzSJWwj.jpg

Dont know which was more confused :D

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

• Registered Users Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

For the last few days we have been introducing a few incubated born chicks to their parents for a few hours a day before bringing them back indoors where they have the heat lamp and security. We leave them in a terrier transport cage which we can see from the kitchen.

Every year we have an increase in the amount of swallows that arrive here, the terrier cage is placed in the middle of the 8 nearest nests, at least 20 feet away from them.

Today just before the storm and 5 minutes after we moved the chicks indoors the young fella spotted this baby swallow (Dad, what's that small pink thing?) inside the cage, if he didn't spot it it would have been dead from the storm within minutes without a shadow of a doubt.

The incubated born chicks have been relegated to one of the sheds and the baby swallow was put under the heat lamp, after a while it started to move a little and is getting more responsive by the hour but we are not getting our hopes up.

What is absolutely amazing us is how he/she was dropped/placed in that small cage of all places on our few acres.

It has eaten a small fly dipped in diluted honey, some powered chick crumb and taken some water from a cotton bud so far and has done 3 poops, the storm has been raging since it was abandoned so there is no chance of putting it back in a nest. It's a long shot it will survive but it had no hope where it was. I have a syringe now for the next feed when it wakes up.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Wren bath time
    FlcRnaK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

What is absolutely amazing us is how he/she was dropped/placed in that small cage of all places on our few acres.

Predation possibly? I watched a Clattering of Jackdaws yesterday around a thrush nest near my garden and one seized upon a fairly well grown thrush chick. It flew across the adjoing field being mobbed by the others. The poor chick was dropped several times before they all disappeared over the hedges.
    Could the predator have inadvertantly dropped it onto the cage?

TT

Blue Tit with insect
    XNVshuv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

My male Sparrowhawk plucking a catch just before completing food pass with the female. At least 3 chicks clearly visible with the scope.

50030675521_12f8a69a00_c.jpgIMG-20200620_091320 by Gustavo, on Flickr

50030937857_9e992dec56_c.jpgIMG-20200620_091724 by Gustavo, on Flickr

50030937817_418c4ebc27_c.jpgIMG-20200620_091737 by Gustavo, on Flickr

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Herring Gull, Slea Hd ,Dingle today.

OGh7CMe.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

50034067793_3ae018094c_c.jpgDSC_0597 by Caoimhe Sweeney, on Flickr

This guy dropped down into our stove. I left all the windows and doors open and it found its own way out but not before I had to snap a picture

50034610701_1cd0fd3756_c.jpgDSC_0558 by Caoimhe Sweeney, on Flickr

Blue Tit Fledglings taking shelter from the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Think the 2nd picture could be Chiffchaff fledglings?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Bsal wrote: »
    Think the 2nd picture could be Chiffchaff fledglings?

You're right, they aren't blue tits. I just seen the eye strip and there has been quite a lot of BTs on that tree so just assumed.

Possibly a willow warbler with those legs?

50035763153_a977ed093f_c.jpgDSC_0568 by Caoimhe Sweeney, on Flickr

And bright yellow belly

50036568112_40e83bd29a_c.jpgDSC_0580 by Caoimhe Sweeney, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

For the last few days we have been introducing a few incubated born chicks to their parents for a few hours a day before bringing them back indoors where they have the heat lamp and security. We leave them in a terrier transport cage which we can see from the kitchen.

Every year we have an increase in the amount of swallows that arrive here, the terrier cage is placed in the middle of the 8 nearest nests, at least 20 feet away from them.

Today just before the storm and 5 minutes after we moved the chicks indoors the young fella spotted this baby swallow (Dad, what's that small pink thing?) inside the cage, if he didn't spot it it would have been dead from the storm within minutes without a shadow of a doubt.

The incubated born chicks have been relegated to one of the sheds and the baby swallow was put under the heat lamp, after a while it started to move a little and is getting more responsive by the hour but we are not getting our hopes up.

It has eaten a small fly dipped in diluted honey, some powered chick crumb and taken some water from a cotton bud so far and has done 3 poops, the storm has been raging since it was abandoned so there is no chance of putting it back in a nest. It's a long shot it will survive but it had no hope where it was. I have a syringe now for the next feed when it wakes up.
    Any updates on this little fella?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Possibly a willow warbler with those legs?

They’re hardly Grey Wagtails, are they? We’ve a few fledglings here at the moment that look similar to those

Advertisement