Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Nature Pictures I Took Recently - II (Seasonal Photos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Alun wrote: »
    Any updates on this little fella?

Went to sleep yesterday afternoon and never woke up, even though we knew it was a long shot it would survive it still broke our hearts, tears were shed.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Went to sleep yesterday afternoon and never woke up, even though we knew it was a long shot it would survive it still broke our hearts, tears were shed.
    Sorry to hear that. It's great that you tried though, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Alun wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. It's great that you tried though, well done.

We had some good times together, this was taken after I told him one of my Dad jokes.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Poor ickle birdie. :( At least he died warm and with a full belly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very lucky to catch this Dolphin having a ball off Galway Harbour recently, I spotted some splashing but could not see anything until he broke the surface then put on this short display, when he stood up it reminded me of marine world in Majorca

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 686 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

zippy84 wrote: »
    Repurposed baby bath working out well.

Frog-3.jpg

Busy wee frog:
    Tadpoles.jpg

It probably isn't big enough to sustain any of them but hopefully it will be soon when I put a proper one in... at least for now there's plenty of free protein floating about!

Few others from the last week:

Blue-Tit-Chick800px.jpg

Hare-1800px.jpg

Magpie-Bath-800px.jpg

Sparrow-Crop.jpg

Sparrow-Outside-House-Small.jpg

Poor wee sparrow, he is at that house day after day looking to click, chirping away from morning till night. I thought maybe it was too low, so during the week I moved it higher, minutes later he was back giving it large, happy enough with it... maybe too late in the season to make any difference now. He did get a few females having a look later that day, followed by a bit of chaos as the mates maybe realised the heads were being turned. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Can't see everything but a lot of those 'Tadpoles' are Mosquito Larvae.....
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I hope the frog has a field day on them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Few from today

Stonechat
    50041964576_239e7dbf58_c.jpg

Rock pipit
    50042225152_6ce66121ce_c.jpg

Female Linnet(?)
    50041964601_42fc8c8f71_c.jpg

Chough
    50041409193_a5d712bd6b_c.jpg

@ zippy84 Can't see everything but a lot of those 'Tadpoles' are Mosquito Larvae.....

Was thinking they looked a bit different than last year's batch.

Should I be trying to get rid or maybe best leave well enough alone? I've been keeping it topped up with rain water this year. Last year it was kept topped up with tap water. Maybe I could overflow it with rainwater / tap water? There's probably only 30 ltrs in there.
    New Home wrote: »
    I hope the frog has a field day on them. :)

Haven't seen him since that pic.

• Advertisement

You can get some nematodes to keep them in check. I'll find the name and post it later, unless someone else can think if it first (burk something).

New Home wrote: »
    You can get some nematodes to keep them in check. I'll find the name and post it later, unless someone else can think if it first (burk something).

Or put a couple of Goldfish in for the summer.....

No "burk" something and not a nematode either, it was bacillus thuringiensis I was thinking of.

You could try and fish some out with a fine mesh sieve, you won't get them all but it'd definitely help.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

Chiffchaff feeding time
    x1UEauP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Went for a drive yesterday and ended up in Ballymore Eustace, where I spotted a Buzzard for the first time.

I got into bird watching at the start of the lockdown so I was very excited yesterday to spot him, not knowing they were nesting out there.

This was the best photo I could manage really, plus some others.

50053768231_12047f02f3_z.jpg
    Buzzard in Ballymore Eustace

50053194668_00befd8726_z.jpg
    Chaffinch in Ballymore Eustace

50053774156_5c2836b0c7_z.jpg
    Gray Wagtail in Ballymore Eustace

Swallow
    NY7ClNq.jpg

Spotted Flycatcher in flight
    ioqVwpn.jpg

HVI2vmd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Both lovely photos but that first one is spectacular

Any chance you would share your camera settings to capture that?

• Advertisement

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Both lovely photos but that first one is spectacular

Any chance you would share your camera settings to capture that?
    Thank you for your comment. Both photos were taken using a APS-C camera so multiply the focal length of the lens by 1.5 to get the actual value.

Photo 1. 1/2500 f5.6 200mm Good light and background and quiet close.
    Photo 2. 1/2500 F4 280mm includes 1.4 tele converter reduced light and dark background quiet far away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Collard dove and a wood pigeon ?

No, just wood pigeons, I'd say. Collared doves have a "collar" and they're "beigier" in colour.

https://www.ecosia.org/search?q=collared+dove

All Wood Pigeons for me too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Lovely day out in Tory Island... Corncrake and Rose-coloured Starling

50069937557_65764c3a6f_b.jpgIMG-20200701_153116 by Gustavo, on Flickr

50069933367_7c2a39cbf2_b.jpgIMG-20200701_153055 by Gustavo, on Flickr

50069682576_d713ea7eb5_b.jpgIMG-20200701_153043 by Gustavo, on Flickr

50069126188_e5b62210f2_b.jpgIMG-20200701_093813 by Gustavo, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Wow great to see the corncrake.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

That's an adult woodpigeon and a juvenile woodpigeon. The juv hasn't developed the white collar yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

gzoladz wrote: »
    Lovely day out in Tory Island... Corncrake and Rose-coloured Starling
    What a coincidence! We saw a rosy starling in the garden (Wexford) today and it caused much argument as to whether it was an albino blackbird, albino starling, or some kind of dwarf magpie.

VUULvk7.jpg

• Advertisement

Willow Warbler
    VEaOEBI.jpg

Advertisement