Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Nature Pictures I Took Recently - II (Seasonal Photos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

No.9. is a male Stonechat

No.10. Meadow Pipit (?) - small boring brown birds never did it for me so I can't be certain with this one. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

IrishZeus wrote: »
    First time poster, long time lurker!

Been playing with a new lens the last 10 days or so and got a few pics. Apologies that some are slightly blurry - some were taken from hundreds of yards away and are as close as I can get in my current location.

Below are the ones I know and can (i think!) identify. Would appreciate corrections if they are needed:

Yellow Wagtail Grey Wagtail

Thrush Meadow Pipit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Continuing those I know:

Identify 8 = Looks like the female Chaffinch again!

And for the last set - Thrush and some of the undentified birds are all Meadow Pipits, except the Stonechat as Del.Monte said above.

The large bird is a gull not an albatross - looks like a Lesser Black-backed Gull (if not, a Great BBGull)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Thanks a mill OpenYourEyes.

Mea culpa on the grey wagtail - I always confuse the colour when I’m talking about them.

Re: the Meadow pipit vs Thrush - would you tell me how you know so I know myself for future reference? I couldn’t tell the difference even when I looked them up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

Bath time
    kf4QFu8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

mTJv5iJh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

A few Buzzards over the house this afternoon

49846782537_db4ddd6ac7_b.jpg

49846781732_cc2f8529b1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Awesome birds and photography.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Swallow in flight
    n5WD1NE.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Livefornow

How the hell did you get that shot NewWave??? :)
    Brilliant !!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mid air tussle.
    (embedded images don't seem to be loading at the moment)

511669.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would this be a fully grown kite? i.e. am i right in thinking there'd be a bigger size difference if it was?

511693.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

511693.jpg

See if the attachment is visible if we embed it...

it's odd, it displays sometimes for me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Now, this is very weird. When I went to edit the message, the IMG tags and the url within them weren't even in the post, it looked like they disappeared! And I tried it twice!!

Aha!!! Bingo!!

The url for the original attachment was: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=511693&d=1588532870. That doesn't work. But if we take out everything from the & onwards, we get this: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=511693

Let's see if it works when I embed it, now:

511693.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Still can’t see it.... iPhone OS, Chrome.

Damn it, it's gone again... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I can see it.

Think it's just pot luck, with the site being a bit screwey in general at the minute.
    Hi all, we apologise for the ongoing issues that are resulting in slow load times and unresponsive errors at times. We are working to get to the bottom of these issues. We understand that this is frustrating, but we thank you for your patience as we deal with this and we are sorry for the disruption.

• Advertisement

Livefornow wrote: »
    How the hell did you get that shot NewWave??? :)
    Brilliant !!!!

Thank you. Every year the swallows nest in our sheds the telephone wire passes close by where the female was perched just out of the shot. The male swallow was keen to multiply but his mate was not hence the expression. This courtship went on for around a week with similiar facial expressions before she said yes. :D

Starling in flight
    TDQQgLO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

That’s stunning New Wave! What do you use for your photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

New Home wrote: »
    Damn it, it's gone again... :/

Looks like the site is on the mend, I just got a lot of updates re threads that I am following.

It's been very strange the last week or so sending updates four or five days after they were posted, sending them more than once and problems posting or trying to see pictures posted.

Hopefully it's back to normal soon.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Male Bullfinch
    PI5GZAN.jpg

Female Bullfinch
    TE6ITgd.jpg

Aaaawh! He's bringing her flowers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

New Home wrote: »
    Aaaawh! He's bringing her flowers! :)

Unfortunately their penchant for Apple and Pear blossoms got them into trouble in times past.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

NEW WAVE..what camera & lens are you using??

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I’ve only ever caught a glimpse of a bullfinch in the bad snow of 2009/10. I put out niger seed which seems to be popular with finches and was watching patiently out the window for the usual characters, goldfinches, greenfinches and chaffinches. It’s one of those moments that takes your breath, when you find something unexpected through the ordinary moments in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mid air tussle.

are those two raptors having a tussle? if so what are they?

Advertisement