Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price increases on food because of Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Brexit took my Monster Energy and now I've got a big big thirst for human blood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

AMKC wrote: »
    So anyone notice any lately. I certainly have. Rice has gone up about 20 percent and butter too. They are just the ones I notice. We live in an expensive enough Country as it is this is only going to make it worse.

A lot of people are going to make a lot of money out of a hard Brexit. It's open season on raising prices above and beyond whats required to maintain profit margins. Old stock will go up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

blanch152 wrote: »
    Own brand butter in my supermarket was €2.19 yesterday just as it always is.

Correct. It has been the same price with the Germans for at least 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

No reason to leave Ireland if taxes are the same everywhere.
    Except for better healthcare, transport, cheaper goods etc, not to mention having to follow the jobs when the FDA dries up

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Brexit took my Monster Energy and now I've got a big big thirst for human blood

Monster energy is made is Ireland, so unless you are in the U.K. it should be ok..

Avoid the blood, hear is fully of chemical ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

So anyone notice any lately. I certainly have. Rice has gone up about 20 percent and butter too. They are just the ones I notice. We live in an expensive enough Country as it is this is only going to make it worse.

Why is Kerrygold two quid more than the standard butter.

IT'S BUTTER!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

kneemos wrote: »
    Why is Kerrygold two quid more than the standard butter.

IT'S BUTTER!

Kerrymaid is cheaper. Probably from the same factory as well

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

van_beano wrote: »
    Kerrymaid is cheaper. Probably from the same factory as well

What's it taste like?

Kerrygold is the business in fairness. Convinced all they do is add a bit of salt to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

kneemos wrote: »
    What's it taste like?

Kerrygold is the business in fairness. Convinced all they do is add a bit of salt to it though.

It tastes like Dairygold.

TBF I notice no difference with any of them. However, the Kerrymaid (and the Dairymaid version) seem easier to spread on toast than the current Dairygold carton I have in the same fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

sugarman wrote: »
    UK suppliers/wholesalers are stockpiling everything ahead of Brexit, so there are supply shortages which have driven prices up already.

I have to say I haven't noticed any increase in the weekly grocery bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

sugarman wrote: »
    Depends where you shop and what youre buying. Iv'e noticed a a decent increase on brands like Kellogg's, Whetabix, McVities and Cadburys in the last month.

Mine are all just branded goods in Dunnes, with meat from a butcher and fruit/veg from a greengrocer. If there have been increases I really haven't noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

topper75 wrote: »
    Wait a sec. That doesn't happen until end of next month.

You can't up the customs in advance. These price hikes are from your supplier. Butter sold in Ireland is largely produced here anyway.

'Crap, we'll lose money from Brexit. Raise the price for the local people' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

'Crap, we'll lose money from Brexit. Raise the price for the local people' :rolleyes:

There are additional costs connected to brexit that indirectly impact on prices.

It's not like the companies raise prices just for fun. They don't plan for one week in advance, what is about to happen is being worked on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Your Face wrote: »
    Brexit will used as an excuse for many price hikes.

Because increasing the cost of trade leads to increased cost of trade surprisingly. There is undoubtedly other factors too but the activity our nearest neighbours have engaged in is the biggest example of f$ck up going on currently hence the reason it will be cited as the cause for most economic problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Majority of flour used in Irish bread is imported from the U.K.

Majority, if not all toilet roll comes from the U.K.

You'd expect those to rise if tariffs are introduced

• Registered Users Posts: 15,664 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Its not Dairygold or Kerrygold I buy but the one I buy has gone up in the English Supermarket I shop in and the price of Pasta has as well. Thankfully we have choice and I bought it elsewhere in another supermarket for less than the new rip off price. Silly British and there stupid Brexit.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I’m just hoping that my supply of Twiglets will be unaffected. I love those crispy snacks to the point of addiction and have been known to drive all the way up to Newry just to get them! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

ShaneU wrote: »

Bread is bad for you and less bread means less toilet roll needed. Maybe some of those houses I saw years ago with a bidet will finally get to actually use them.

I thought they were for washing your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Oh shi:t we’re on a roll so, bread or loo, take your pick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

The only solution to this shenanigans is to mail order one's weekly shop from Harrods.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Chestvalve

Major premature ejaculation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

kenmc wrote: »
    And the Muppets in Leinster house just can't see far enough past the end of their payslips to see it coming. When they've done the bidding of Merkel, junkers etc for the brexit stuff, then the eye of sauron will swivel a couple of degrees west, and we're next. 4 million people an absolute drop in the ocean compared to Germany, France

Next for what? Unless there have been special rings posted out to all the TDs that we haven't heard about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

I watched the news last night.

On one hand they said food prices could go up.

About thirty seconds later a beef farmer said that the price they are getting for their cattle is going down.

I'm confused.

Does Brexit provide an excuse to justify increases like september 11 and the financial crash did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

I imagine that we'll still manage to wipe our arses after brexit has passed.

It'll be an excuse to buy the sindo.

I have a bidet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Did Leo not say anyone caught hoarding or profiteering during this emergency will be arrested and executed by firing squad
    only the ones who get up early in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I watched the news last night.

On one hand they said food prices could go up.

About thirty seconds later a beef farmer said that the price they are getting for their cattle is going down.

I'm confused.

Does Brexit provide an excuse to justify increases like september 11 and the financial crash did.

When prices go down for farmers you can be sure prices do not go down in the shops. There are plenty of middlemen between us and the farmers.

only the ones who get up early in the morning

And take us from behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

kenmc wrote: »
    Except for better healthcare, transport, cheaper goods etc, not to mention having to follow the jobs when the FDA dries up

It’s FDA drying up that you are claiming to prove. Companies don’t care about the other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Its not Dairygold or Kerrygold I buy but the one I buy has gone up in the English Supermarket I shop in and the price of Pasta has as well. Thankfully we have choice and I bought it elsewhere in another supermarket for less than the new rip off price. Silly British and there stupid Brexit.

That’s information that might have been worthwhile at the start.

Irish food prices are fairly cheap in supermarkets.

Advertisement