Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price increases on food because of Brexit

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

ShaneU wrote: »
    Majority of flour used in Irish bread is imported from the U.K.

Majority, if not all toilet roll comes from the U.K.

You'd expect those to rise if tariffs are introduced

You’d expect them to be sourced elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭pummice

Soda Bread (baked in-house) has increased in my local SuperValu in the last few weeks from 2.19 to 2.50. Last year it was 2.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

I watched the news last night.

On one hand they said food prices could go up.

About thirty seconds later a beef farmer said that the price they are getting for their cattle is going down.

I'm confused.

Does Brexit provide an excuse to justify increases like september 11 and the financial crash did.

What's confusing you? Do you buy direct from the farmer, I'll take a punt at no.

Farmer may sell to a finisher, or to a factory. The finisher sells to a factory. The factory sells to a supermarket.

The raft of middlemen is where the consumer expense is generated, farmer gets least.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AMKC wrote: »
    So anyone notice any lately. I certainly have. Rice has gone up about 20 percent and butter too. They are just the ones I notice. We live in an expensive enough Country as it is this is only going to make it worse.
    Last year was one of the warmest on record.

The resulting water shortage played havoc with water levels in the British paddy fields.

timthumbni wrote: »
    Bread is bad for you and less bread means less toilet roll needed.

Well, the argument that Brexit will be good because it will reduce the obesity and consumerism pandemics and reduce waste and environmental problems at the same time is certainly attractive from a sustainable living perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    When prices go down for farmers you can be sure prices do not go down in the shops. There are plenty of middlemen between us and the farmers.

why is brexit being blamed then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

badtoro wrote: »
    What's confusing you? Do you buy direct from the farmer, I'll take a punt at no.

Farmer may sell to a finisher, or to a factory. The finisher sells to a factory. The factory sells to a supermarket.

The raft of middlemen is where the consumer expense is generated, farmer gets least.

Whats confusing where does brexit fit in? what is it about brexit that has influenced this chain

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Whats confusing where does brexit fit in? what is it about brexit that has influenced this chain

Farmers sell their cattle into factories for processing.

Probably 60% of cattle processed here go to U.K. shops

The factories are using uncertainty over Brexit to push down prices paid. Factories are in a cartel setup and so all drop prices to match, farmers are price takers so have no other outlets.

But same prices cover animals slaughtered and sold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

pummice wrote: »
    Soda Bread (baked in-house) has increased in my local SuperValu in the last few weeks from 2.19 to 2.50. Last year it was 2.00

Extortionate prices in Supervalu is nothing new. I'm surprised that advertising watchdogs haven't reigned them in yet on their blatant misuse of the term "Supervalu". Maybe they'd argue that "Valu" only sounds like "Value" and doesn't mean the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

pummice wrote: »

Bread is so easy to make, we use a no knead throw it all in recipe that my 10 year old cooks. Brilliant results every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

van_beano wrote: »
    Extortionate prices in Supervalu is nothing new. I'm surprised that advertising watchdogs haven't reigned them in yet on their blatant misuse of the term "Supervalu". Maybe they'd argue that "Valu" only sounds like "Value" and doesn't mean the same thing.

I agree. There is custard that I buy and Supervalu is the most expensive of the top 3 big retailers for it. They charge 30 cent extra for the same product.

Also I noticed more yogurts and other products that have gone up in price today in a certain British retailer. Its disgraceful.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Just spotted Lomza Export alcohol has actually reduced by 25 cents in Tesco’s. Was €2 for the 500ml bottle, now it’s €1.75. Thank you Brexit (even though it’s Polish beer)

B-Day will be just another excuse to up prices of anything and everything, after years of shrinkflation they simply can't make the contents in the packaging any lighter.
    So they'll probably start going back to the sizes and quantities they had five years ago and hike the prices above and beyond the amount needed to cover the extra product.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

B-Day will be just another excuse to up prices of anything and everything, after years of shrinkflation they simply can't make the contents in the packaging any lighter.
    So they'll probably start going back to the sizes and quantities they had five years ago and hike the prices above and beyond the amount needed to cover the extra product.
    The other way they can go is to reduce quality.

Look at Cadbury's.
    Creme eggs don't use Dairy Milk anymore, even if they did it's just waxy muck these days.

Also
    Kraft stock just dropped 27%
    known for its cost-cutting approach to its businesses.

At Kraft Heinz, that strategy has delivered mixed results.

The firm reported a $10.2bn loss for 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

timthumbni wrote: »
    Bread is bad for you and less bread means less toilet roll needed.

Not from the Polish shops. They make proper wholesome bread with only the necessary ingredients. No 'flour improvers', fatty acids or other crap.

Used to buy overpriced bread from Supervalu which still had additives that had no place being in real bread, then I discovered the joys of my local Polish shop. Sourdough or rye flour and wheat flour, water, seeds maybe and very little else- very tasty. Cheaper too- €2.60 for a loaf.
    Poles told me they think of our typical Brennans as not real bread, just white stodge for toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Noticed the price increases alright, many have kicked in from 01 March.
    I suspect it is is also due to £ strengthening

zell12 wrote: »
    Noticed the price increases alright, many have kicked in from 01 March.
    I suspect it is is also due to £ strengthening

Don't forget the VAT rate which was 21% for the last couple of months has gone back to its normal 23%.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Zombie thread back from the dead.

SUAF_1879 wrote: »
    Don't forget the VAT rate which was 21% for the last couple of months has gone back to its normal 23%.
    Noticed one of my fave biscuits in Lidl
    dark choc digestives up 25% from 39c to 49c today

Aldi tortilla chips have gone from 35c to 49c this week. That is a whopping 40% increase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I posted this is other threads, but a 24 pack of cans of Diet Coca Cola used to be €12, then on special for €10 or €8. Now the standard price is €15.50, sometimes on special for €12. Crunchips used to be around €2, they're now close to €4. Think Kerrygold has stayed the same. But prices for most things have gone up, and every excuse will be used as a reason for the increase, but a lot of it is just down to greed, they can because they can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Remember how every price got rounded up when the Euro came in?

Advertisement