Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price increases on food because of Brexit

Options
  • 22-02-2019 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

So anyone notice any lately. I certainly have. Rice has gone up about 20 percent and butter too. They are just the ones I notice. We live in an expensive enough Country as it is this is only going to make it worse.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭PingTing comes for Fire

Just going to have to order a chips instead with my curry this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Brexit will used as an excuse for many price hikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Wait a sec. That doesn't happen until end of next month.

You can't up the customs in advance. These price hikes are from your supplier. Butter sold in Ireland is largely produced here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Don't worry everyone, its not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

AMKC wrote: »
    So anyone notice any lately. I certainly have. Rice has gone up about 20 percent and butter too. They are just the ones I notice. We live in an expensive enough Country as it is this is only going to make it worse.

There have been no tariff changes yet, so those increases are not Brexit related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

This is the result of Quantitive Easing

Inflation.

Which is the ECBs way to deal with Debt- Inflate it away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Ireland was No.1 on the food security index last year and is second only behind Singapore now.

We should be ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,277 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

AMKC wrote: »

Own brand butter in my supermarket was €2.19 yesterday just as it always is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Tefral wrote: »
    Ireland was No.1 on the food security index last year and is second only behind Singapore now.

We should be ok..

There will be shortages of short shelf life products soon.

We will be fine in general, and the food is generally cheap in Ireland , but the availability will suffer, and the prices will go up for all imported products.

There is a bit of uncertainty over how bad it will be. But it will be bad enough to affect all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Best excuse ever

"Why did you get so drunk last night?"

"****ing Brexit innit.."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

What if we run out of bread????

PANIC BUY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Did Leo not say anyone caught hoarding or profiteering during this emergency will be arrested and executed by firing squad

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What if we run out of bread????

PANIC BUY!!!!
    And milk.

You'd think people would stock pile on non perishables before a weather emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Obesity crisis solved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

We create enough food on this little island for a population 10 times our size. If people stick to good quality farm produce, cut out the processed junk, it will help your wallet, health, and have the added bonus of watching the Brits flush themselves down the toilet.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We create enough food on this little island for a population 10 times our size. If people stick to good quality farm produce, cut out the processed junk, it will help your wallet, health, and have the added bonus of watching the Brits flush themselves down the toilet.

We're the ones who will end up stuffed.

Tax harmonisation is on the way.

We'll be an outpost, an insignificant province of the European empire with no friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If there is no brexit food prices will go up as well because the brits can keep buying our stuff with no import taxes

If it's not england trying to screw us it will be the EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

We'll be an outpost, an insignificant province of the European empire with no friends.

I see you've been stocking up on tinfoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Obesity crisis solved

Nope. Cheaper, nastier muck will just become more popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Completely agree. We are just a small island between North America and non-EU Great Britain and with little to nothing in common with mainland Europe. As if Germany or France give the slightest bit of damn about little old Ireland now or in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Better stuffed than starved.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Completely agree. We are just a small island between North America and non-EU Great Britain and with little to nothing in common with mainland Europe. As if Germany or France give the slightest bit of damn about little old Ireland now or in the future.

And the Muppets in Leinster house just can't see far enough past the end of their payslips to see it coming. When they've done the bidding of Merkel, junkers etc for the brexit stuff, then the eye of sauron will swivel a couple of degrees west, and we're next. 4 million people an absolute drop in the ocean compared to Germany, France

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Sure it will, but you can't just live on carrot, turnips, parsnips and meat.

There are many non processed food items delivered by boats. If those boats are delayed by custom checks, no matter how short these checks are, the boats get delayed.

And to be fair if you there is loads of products delivered in containers by boats.

Ireland is not as self sufficient as you might think and delays, extra paperwork, transport costs etc will cause price increase on the shelves.

Don't think the same way the British did when it comes to food and how we can feed ourselves. We can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

This is the result of Quantitive Easing

Inflation.

Which is the ECBs way to deal with Debt- Inflate it away

There’s been bog all retail inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

As I heard mentioned before, we are just a wet Albania.

No reason to leave Ireland if taxes are the same everywhere.

Exactly. The government are a shower of scheming parasites. Anywhere they think they can make a few extra euros then Brexit will be used to hike up the prices.

Do you think the gubbermint run the shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Brexit will be the gift that keeps on giving…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Brexit took my baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

van_beano wrote: »
    As I heard mentioned before, we are just a wet Albania.

Well that’s just nonsense. Ireland is one of the wealthiest, fairest, and safest countries in the world. We are always ranked in the top 10 in quality of life reports from the UN. Albania is a dirt poor country with enormous levels of corruption and huge levels of inequality.

Advertisement