Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK licence after Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

tanko wrote: »
    Does a ROI resident wirh a NI/UK licence have penalty points applied to their licence in the same way as if they had a ROI licence?

Essentially yes, the points are applied to an Irish "driving record" based on the details of the licence presented.

It's all explained online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭tanko

So, there's no truth to the suggestion that ROI residents with NI/UK licences are a lot ess likely to get penalty points?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Dont think ill panick to change my one yet,will wait and see what happens.

So, there's no truth to the suggestion that ROI residents with NI/UK licences are a lot ess likely to get penalty points?

As I understand it the penalty point system was always applicable to all licences. In practice, however, it doesn't seem to have been applied effectively until a few years ago. There was often posts on here about "ghost licences" where points would never expire and only be applied only when/if the holder exchanged for an Irish licence. I was certainly under that impression originally but I never saw any official documentation.

I can, however, confirm that, at least since 2015, the "driving record" is in operation. I got three points which expired last year.

Another complication is regarding addresses. All communication is to the address on the licence. I can imagine that would cause issues if the holder has no way to receive mail sent to that address. In the case of GB it's now a specific offence to have an out of date address.

Exchanging mine on Tuesday.

Don't particularly want to but can't take the chance.
    Same here, I wanted to wait until over 60 (to only have one renewal before 70), but having to do so now to avoid the possibility of insurance companies refusing to accept a UK licence at the next renewal.

• Advertisement

Same here, I wanted to wait until over 60 (to only have one renewal before 70), but having to do so now to avoid the possibility of insurance companies refusing to accept a UK licence at the next renewal.

That's not the main issue, if there's a no deal brexit on the 29th. - in four weeks - it won't be valid if you're resident!

Admittedly it's unlikely to happen but I certainly don't fancy taking my test again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

O it’s true because they are better drivers.

That's not the main issue, if there's a no deal brexit on the 29th. - in four weeks - it won't be valid if you're resident!

Admittedly it's unlikely to happen but I certainly don't fancy taking my test again.
    True, but you wouldn't be able to renew the insurance either.
    Even if being caught driving on a licence that has been cancelled due to a political situation that we have no control over, I expect drivers would be given a similar warning that the fisherman in Dundalk received today and ordered to get it transferred.

As it is, insurance companies already load the premium for UK licences so we had to change them eventually anyway.

Even if being caught driving on a licence that has been cancelled due to a political situation that we have no control over, I expect drivers would be given a similar warning that the fisherman in Dundalk received today and ordered to get it transferred.

As it is, insurance companies already load the premium for UK licences so we had to change them eventually anyway.

In the case of a no-deal Brexit I don't believe the current licence exchange process would be available. That's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Any points are applied to a temporary RSA driver file. If the driver exchanges their licence, these points are then applied to the new Irish licence.

• Advertisement

Always found my insurance quotes no dearer then my wifes with a Irish licence.

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Any points are applied to a temporary RSA driver file. If the driver exchanges their licence, these points are then applied to the new Irish licence.

That is only if they haven't expired though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

That is only if they haven't expired though, right?

Exactly, usually held for three years max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

They don't always transfer over. I know several who had at best spotty driving records receive completely clean licences on exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Scaltan

There is a straightforward solution and one that will be put in place anyhow. At the minute Ireland exchange licences with quite a few States including South Korea??. The basis for these arrangements is that licensing systems are broadly similar. Ireland and U.K. licensing systems are almost identical so Brexit deal or no- deal we will have a licensing arrangement with the UK that is certain. Therefore if I were a UK Licence holder I don't believe there is a need to panic about exchanging before 29 March. The Government should now say it intends following this path so as to stop unnecessary anxiety about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Scaltan wrote: »
    There is a straightforward solution and one that will be put in place anyhow. At the minute Ireland exchange licences with quite a few States including South Korea??. The basis for these arrangements is that licensing systems are broadly similar. Ireland and U.K. licensing systems are almost identical so Brexit deal or no- deal we will have a licensing arrangement with the UK that is certain. Therefore if I were a UK Licence holder I don't believe there is a need to panic about exchanging before 29 March. The Government should now say it intends following this path so as to stop unnecessary anxiety about this.

The whole point is it's not certain. Nothing is. There's no agreement in place ahead of March 29th to provide UK licence holders with a way to exchange their licence once the UK leaves the EU.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

I am UK licence holder. I am also an ADI in RoI. I would immediately find myself out of work in the event of a No Deal. They are saying the licence won’t be valid. There is absolutely no way I can risk this happening. There will be others like me.

It's a political problem that requires a political solution, in the meantime we can't take any chances, or we could be left high and dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The basis for such agreements is via bi-lateral agreements and despite having similar or even identical procedures such agreements don't come overnight, they require discussion, negotiation and legal agreement and due to involving community licences also require rubber stamping from the European Commission. Whilst I can't see any issues in relation to the above it simply won't happen overnight.

All previous such agreements have taken 12+ months to be negotiated and implemented.

Recognition (for residents) is what needs to be sorted ASAP, exchange agreements can be sorted later.

In my understanding what happens is that the delay in putting the arrangements in place happens because of the time needed to look at the licensing systems in the other country. This is not an issue here as both Irish and UK Systems follow EU standard. With the political will it can happen very quickly.

BTW Recognition for residents with UK licence holders is via the mechanism I'm speaking about. That's why it can and should happen quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

In my understanding what happens is that the delay in putting the arrangements in place happens because of the time needed to look at the licensing systems in the other country. This is not an issue here as both Irish and UK Systems follow EU standard. With the political will it can happen very quickly.

BTW Recognition for residents with UK licence holders is via the mechanism I'm speaking about. That's why it can and should happen quickly.

That’s all well and good but would you risk your livelihood in the hope that Theresa May gets her act together? If the stories told me the sky was blue I’d go outside and check for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Called into Santry this afternoon and the queue was out the door. Earliest I can book an appointment online was 20th March, so I'll try again during the week.

Don't buy into the "they'll have to sort a deal" mentality -- that seems to be the UK's entire Brexit negotiating strategy, but the EU and Ireland aren't going to magic last-minute arrangements out of thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The delay is far more complicated than looking at the others systems, bi-lateral agreements are actually quite complicated legal agreements even for what appears to be simple matters.

"Recognition for residents" is not via the mechanism you are speaking of.

Recognition for residents is currently via EU laws for member state licemces, in case of a hard Brexit the mechanisms used for non EU exchange do not afford a recognition for residents and never have. They are exchange mechanisms not recognition mechanisms.

Surely it is up to the Irish government what sort of licenses are acceptable on our roads?

Again, compare with the advice from the UK Government which is that EU licenses will continue to be valid both for residents and visitors after any form of Brexit.

Is the Government saying it doesn't have the power to accept UK licenses as valid on Irish roads, and if so on what basis does it not have that power? I find it very hard to believe that the EU has anything to do with a domestic matter like that.

Why can the UK reassure Irish citizens living in the UK and we can't reassure Irish citizens living here who happen to have the 'wrong' license?

It's pathetic and appears to be some stupid game of "look at the consequences of a hard brexit!" with Irish taxpayers and citizens as the victims.

GM228 wrote: »
    The basis for such agreements is via bi-lateral agreements and despite having similar or even identical procedures such agreements don't come overnight, they require discussion, negotiation and legal agreement and due to involving community licences also require rubber stamping from the European Commission. Whilst I can't see any issues in relation to the above it simply won't happen overnight.

All previous such agreements have taken 12+ months to be negotiated and implemented.

Recognition (for residents) is what needs to be sorted ASAP, exchange agreements can be sorted later.

My posts are by way of suggesting solutions which in the final analysis will let those with a UK licence and who are resident here drive here without having to take further tests.
    I see two possibilities one is designating UK as an Exchange Country for licences- UK licence holders living here will swap their licence for an Irish one.
    Another is to pass a law here saying we will continue to recognise U.K. licences just as UK has said it will continue to recognise all EU licences- If we do this there would be no need to exchange the licence for a resident here until it expires.

The holdup in the past with granting exchange status has been because of a need to analyse the licensing system in the other country plus they being satisfied with the Irish one. These are not issues with UK. Yes it's a political issue but if will is there either solution above can be implemented quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

https://www.123.ie/Brexit-Information

Just noticed 123 sent me an email. Green cards will be issued free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

wonski wrote: »
    https://www.123.ie/Brexit-Information

Just noticed 123 sent me an email. Green cards will be issued free of charge.

Axa issuing automatically

https://www.axa.ie/other/green-card/

Exchanged mine today in Waterford.

Will lose a couple of UK only categories for trailers plus I'm now limited to 3.5t without submitting a medical cert. You have to sign a document acknowledging that these will be removed.

Very helpful chap in the office. Definitely book a slot online though, 1-1.5hr waiting times when I went.

Exchanged mine today in Waterford.

Will lose a couple of UK only categories for trailers plus I'm now limited to 3.5t without submitting a medical cert. You have to sign a document acknowledging that these will be removed.

Very helpful chap in the office. Definitely book a slot online though, 1-1.5hr waiting times when I went.

If you done the medical would you have kept the 7.5 tonne licence?

• Advertisement

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    If you done the medical would you have kept the 7.5 tonne licence?

Probably wouldn't bother tbh, I've never used it in over 30 years!

Bit disappointed I never got to use my minibus towing a trailer either!

Advertisement