Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK licence after Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

R.O.R wrote: »
    Got mine in the post today and still have BE - license issued December 93

Mine was issued 91 I better still have it when I get the Irish one back!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

I applied for mine on 19th March and received it today.
    I still have BE on it. I passed my UK test in March ‘93

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Marcusm wrote: »
    Yours has been exchanged; it cannot be renewed. You have to exchange it back. Yours is one of those cases where it will be apparent that deception is in point (unlike a simple false address renewal). Given that it gives you no advantage it would be silly to attempt it.

Just to go back to this as a FYI. A letter about renewing my Irish license has been received at my old Irish address. Not that I plan on renewing it (no point in wasting the money or effort) I was always sceptical that the exchange would be recorded on both sides. Anyway, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

theteal wrote: »
    Just to go back to this as a FYI. A letter about renewing my Irish license has been received at my old Irish address. Not that I plan on renewing it (no point in wasting the money or effort) I was always sceptical that the exchange would be recorded on both sides. Anyway, nothing to see here.

The fact that it hasn’t been recorded properly doesn’t mean that it hasn’t been exchanged and thus the underlying Irish entitlement has lapsed. Administrative incompetence is not the same as validity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

I am not a bit surprised tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

theteal wrote: »

I also got the renewal after I had exchanged my Irish for an English licence a few years back. I just exchanged back though as didn't want to face the possibility of getting caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Marcusm wrote: »
    The fact that it hasn’t been recorded properly doesn’t mean that it hasn’t been exchanged and thus the underlying Irish entitlement has lapsed. Administrative incompetence is not the same as validity!

I never said/thought it was valid however I was also never really in doubt that it wouldn't work. Just relaying the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Finally bit the bullet last week and surrendered my UK license, couldn't trust them clowns in westminster to not fcuk things up and me having no license.

Took around 10 days in total from going into NDLS to getting license.

Now something on it has me truly amazed, IIRC when i got my license in the UK in the early 90's i didn't select bike licence to be added onto it, in 2013 i got a new license as they wanted a new pic, so i ticket the bike part, it must have been added on.

Get my new Irish license this week and i've got category A, so in theory i'm legal to ride any type of bike i want, and i've NEVER taken any sort of bike test, surely that can't be right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

scudzilla wrote: »
    Finally bit the bullet last week and surrendered my UK license, couldn't trust them clowns in westminster to not fcuk things up and me having no license.

Took around 10 days in total from going into NDLS to getting license.

Now something on it has me truly amazed, IIRC when i got my license in the UK in the early 90's i didn't select bike licence to be added onto it, in 2013 i got a new license as they wanted a new pic, so i ticket the bike part, it must have been added on.

Get my new Irish license this week and i've got category A, so in theory i'm legal to ride any type of bike i want, and i've NEVER taken any sort of bike test, surely that can't be right

What does it say in the box beside it? If it says 70 UK then it's full bike license. If it's 70 UK 79.03 then it's trikes only, which you're allowed to drive on a car license.

What does it say in the box beside it? If it says 70 UK then it's full bike license. If it's 70 UK 79.03 then it's trikes only, which you're allowed to drive on a car license.

Errrr, ok, move along, nothing to see here, i'm just off to browse trikes :pac::pac:

Thanks for the clarification, was eyeing up a mean looking 1200cc bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

Is it possible to hold both uk and irish licences if you do the test in each country?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

kerosene wrote: »
    Is it possible to hold both uk and irish licences if you do the test in each country?

Not legally, no - at the moment. May change when the UK leave the EU though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

What if Westminster accepts the deal do i still need to change the UK licence ?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Not if, as part of the deal there is mutual recognition of each other's licences.
    In reality, Ireland is an outlier in allowing UK licences to be retained at all, every other country expect you to convert your licence when you become resident or stay for more than six months(or so).

You’re cutting it fine if they don’t. Most, if not all, opposition parties have said they’ll reject it.

Whether or not your car insurance would be valid is the real deal breaker, Gardaí may turn a blind eye in the short term, but you could find the insurance invalid if you crash and not be able to renew.

Whether or not your car insurance would be valid is the real deal breaker, Gardaí may turn a blind eye in the short term, but you could find the insurance invalid if you crash and not be able to renew.

I can’t imagine Gardaí turning a blind eye to uninsured drivers. Anyone who knowingly drives without valid insurance deserves all that’s coming to them.

I can’t imagine Gardaí turning a blind eye to uninsured drivers. Anyone who knowingly drives without valid insurance deserves all that’s coming to them.
    The insurance companies may or may not accept a UK licence after a no deal Brexit, that is a bit of an unknown.
    Cancelling an insurance policy is another issue.

The insurance companies may or may not accept a UK licence after a no deal Brexit, that is a bit of an unknown.
    Cancelling an insurance policy is another issue.

What’s being said is, and the information is out there that, in the event of a No Deal the UK licence will not be valid. They are saying someone who didn’t exchange before 31st October would have to take the test here. Not being in possession of a valid licence nullifies your insurance with immediate effect much in the same way if you were banned.
    I’m a driving instructor in Meath who held a full UK licence since 1993. The risk for me was, had I not exchanged it, I could be out of work overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I acknowledge the precariousness of my situation in continuing to be a, eh, licence swop refrainer, but found it striking that when I changed insurer for a better quote in Sept the new company's rep said nothing as I explicitly declared my UK licence - just told me to send a scan/photo of it online, and it was accepted. However I know this doesn't have a bearing on the legal situation, and I suppose the insurance company could use that as a convenient argument to refuse/recoup any claim that might arise later, so maybe they have no motivation to care! Perhaps I'll go in to swop it in a panic a few days before the 31st if things still look bleak or there hasn't been another deferral.

• Advertisement

Will see what happens today in Westminster, if deal accepted will then contact RSA and see what the situation with a UK licence is now.

Will see what happens today in Westminster, if deal accepted will then contact RSA and see what the situation with a UK licence is now.

I’d be amazed if it gets voted through tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

You’re cutting it fine if they don’t. Most, if not all, opposition parties have said they’ll reject it.

It's finely balanced and as I see it it will scrape through. I don't know what the deal would be then, but I imagine we'd be back to a bi-partisan agreement to accept each others licenses. I'm not sure if the EU could block this though. We'll have to wait and see, but it's taking a bit of a risk not to change your license.

What’s being said is, and the information is out there that, in the event of a No Deal the UK licence will not be valid. They are saying someone who didn’t exchange before 31st October would have to take the test here. Not being in possession of a valid licence nullifies your insurance with immediate effect much in the same way if you were banned.
    I’m a driving instructor in Meath who held a full UK licence since 1993. The risk for me was, had I not exchanged it, I could be out of work overnight.

I looked online about the need to change licence if no deal before ore 31st, RSA saying could be long delays after that date to get a Irish licence but no mention on having to retake your driving test after that date?

I looked online about the need to change licence if no deal before ore 31st, RSA saying could be long delays after that date to get a Irish licence but no mention on having to retake your driving test after that date?

There’s been radio adverts about it. I’ll try and find a link later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭sundodger5

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Brexit/Driving-Licences/
    clearly states you will need a learner permit..so that is a retest

Not only would my licence need to be changed also my cpc card and my digital tachograph card also will need a medical, alot more involve for me, that's why i was putting it off ,so was hoping for a decisive vote today to know to jump or not, but as usual UK making a balls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

My broker highlights all changes to the text when my insurance policy was renewed this year.

I don't have the exact wording to hand but essentially they just added UK licences to every area in the past that mentioned Irish or EU licences. This was Aviva.

Edit:
    Scroll down to: "Terms and conditions apply. Please see our policy documents for more information." on https://www.aviva.ie/insurance/car-insurance/.
    And you can see how they now include UK licences in their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Looking up FAQs from my new insurer, Allianz, I see:

https://www.allianz.ie/car-insurance/faqs/uk-licence-insured-with-allianz-implications-if-licence-not-changed-after-brexit/
    "We encourage all our customers who hold UK licences to take all reasonable steps to get their licences exchanged before the 31st October 2019. However, as things currently stand, failure to achieve this will have no negative impact on your existing Allianz insurance policy terms and conditions."

https://www.allianz.ie/car-insurance/faqs/uk-license-premium/
    "Will my Allianz Insurance premium go up if I still hold a UK driving licence after October 31st 2019?
    At this point, we do not envisage that your Allianz premium will be affected as a result of you holding a UK licence after October 31st 2019."

However the uncertainty re the validity of the licence, depending on exactly what happens, is discussed in
    https://www.allianz.ie/car-insurance/faqs/i-live-in-ireland-with-uk-driving-licence-driving-in-ireland-after-brexit/
    ...though they don't actually mention whether they would honour a claim if the licence becomes invalid!

And more mind-twisters...
    https://www.allianz.ie/car-insurance/faqs/will-allianz-policy-operate-after-brexit-when-exchanging-uk-to-irish-licence-whilst-driving-unaccompanied/

• Advertisement

I was in the same boat as you (i think), i wanted to keep UK license and kept putting off changing it.

Turning point for me was the uncertainty, if they crash out with no deal then on Oct 31st i wouldn't have a license, be unable to drive and would have to take a test and i think 8 lessons.

Just couldn't afford to take the risk.

Also, i know that the UK License is valid until you're 70 but you do have to renew it every 10yrs (update pic), technically for a few months about 5yrs ago i was driving without a licence as it was past renewal, sent a digital pic into DVLA and they delivered a new one to my dads gaff in Wales.

Makes you wonder how many others driving UK licenses have gone past the 10yrs

Advertisement