Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regency Hotel shooting trial collapses following Detective Superintendent's suicide

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

I stand corrected!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

tigger123 wrote: »
    They are completely separate. What would the point of GSOC be if it were part of AGS?

Where did you see that members of AGS are seconded to GSOC? Can Gardai even be seconded to another independent body?

They aren't seconded to GSOC. GSOC rent out rooms in hotel to meet civilians who are meeting GSOC they won't even use stations. Completely independent of AGS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

They aren't seconded to GSOC. GSOC rent out rooms in hotel to meet civilians who are meeting GSOC they won't even use stations. Completely independent of AGS

So was Nuala O'Loan making it up or has there been a change of policy that prevents Gardai carrying out investigations on or working on behalf of GSOC ?

RustyNut wrote: »
    So was Nuala O'Loan making it up or has there been a change of policy that prevents Gardai carrying out investigations on or working on behalf of GSOC ?

Did she say they were conducting investigations? The quote above said they're working there, not conducting investigations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Did she say they were conducting investigations? The quote above said they're working there, not conducting investigations.

So this statement is untrue?

• Advertisement

RustyNut wrote: »
    So this statement is untrue?

Where is it being said that they conduct investigations?

What relevance is it whether it not GSOC are renting hotel rooms to meet civilians?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Isn't it entirely possible that he was just leaving notes for whoever was going to take over the case, and tieing up loose ends?
    Even if he did make a mistake on the case, and from what I can tell it's not even confirmed yet that he did, why the jump from everyone to assume that's the reason he took his own life?

It's impossible to know the reason with full certainty. Even if a suicide note says the reason is X, there is still an element of assumption involved.

In this instance, there are comments in the thread that the notes referred to an "error of judgment", and if notes were left relating to the case that means it was one of the foremost things in his mind at the time.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/tragic-lead-investigator-regency-hotel-14033815
    A source said: “He had expressed concerns weeks earlier that he was being set up for a fall on the Regency investigation by defence barristers... People dismissed this as just general bunker mentality comments but clearly he was burdened by it.”
    The notes contained references to “mistakes” in the Regency investigation but did not go into detail.

Given that these are comments in the national press (granted of unestablished veracity), it seems reasonable to consider scenario where the case played a part in the suicide, especially so if the defense counsel's remarks in relation to the garda emails and the photo ID hit the mark.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Isn't it entirely possible that he was just leaving notes for whoever was going to take over the case, and tieing up loose ends?

Even if he did make a mistake on the case, and from what I can tell it's not even confirmed yet that he did, why the jump from everyone to assume that's the reason he took his own life?

There’s another possibility which no one has mentioned - Det. Fox did nothing wrong at all, but his fellow officers did, and they pressured (or coerced) him into going along with it and not saying anything. Then, when the case began to fall apart because of those mistakes / malpractices (could be either), he couldn’t live with the guilt of having knowingly covered up for others and seeing that a potentially guilty man might get off because of that.

Based in everything we saw in the Maurice McCabe case, police officers in groups which are flouting the rules or the law do not take kindly to being called out on it or ratted out by others, so this seems as likely an explanation as any.

But I personally don’t buy any explanation for this which doesn’t involve his final notes or the subsequently trawled communications not turning up some serious f*ck ups or wrongdoings, and that this is ultimately why the case collapsed. The timeline of events points to something more serious - this was not a routine investigation into a Garda’s death, this involved substantial forensic examination of electronic devices (I remember reading one article last summer suggesting that GSOC were going as far as appealing to a manufacturer for help decrypting one of the devices without knowing the credentials for it) and in my view clearly hints at something more substantial than a run of the mill investigation.

Obviously I could be entirely wrong, but I doubt we’ll remain in the dark about it if I’m not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

For feck sake lads have you still not worked out what happened??
    I've told you it's easy step back forget the spin ...
    When all of officialdom all spins the same story it obvious they are hiding something.
    Listen to David Byrne's sisters interview on rte news on the day of the charges were struck out she said what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

When all of officialdom all spins the same story it obvious they are hiding something.
    Listen to David Byrne's sisters interview on rte news on the day of the charges were struck out she said what happened.

Spit it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭safeasparagus

Will the results of the GSOC investigation into Dec Fox death be made public ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I think pretty much everyone has it figured out at this stage. Once you disregard the spin, as you say, then its clear what went on. Still sad.

No way the papers could be printing it for the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Nobody has queried why the defense barristers knew there were compromising emails.

I think pretty much everyone has it figured out at this stage. Once you disregard the spin, as you say, then its clear what went on. Still sad.

No way the papers could be printing it for the moment though.

spit it out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Nobody has queried why the defense barristers knew there were compromising emails.

The history of the search is well publicised. There was inconsistencies in the description of the ID process. The barristers asked for all correspondence involving the process. They whittled it down to 4 gardai.

The emails were eventually released to the defence.

Advertisement