Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

People get paid to write this. Fair play to them.

That’s a far more realistic example of the realities of copy writing than anything on the likes of Mad Men. Word salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I was reading an article about Larkham and Rowntree being appointed to the Munster coaching staff. I think they are good signings but my thoughts actually turned to how lucky they are being on the doorstep of Kerry and West Cork for their free time. There are a few places in these islands that really pull me emotionally towards them. Donegal where I had a holiday home for 30 years and the West Highlands of Scotland are two but the Beara peninsula in particular has fascinated me since I was a little touring there in the 1950s. Standing at the top of the Healy Pass on a sunny day is one of the great memories I will always have. Touring from Ardgroom to Eyeries and then to Allahies is travelling a slice of heaven as are the cakes you can but in the Ardgroom Cafe....

Lucky men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Has anyone any feedback on what are Saracens and Racing like as an away day experience?

Was thinking of booking an away trip this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Has anyone any feedback on what are Saracens and Racing like as an away day experience?

Was thinking of booking an away trip this year

If you have a choice, go Racing.

Sarries stadium isn't great to visit, the atmosphere is a bit crap and bar the small minority of hardcore old school Sarries fans they wernt good craic, even when they were hammering Munster and should have been in good spirits. Least enjoyable atmosphere I have ever been to.
    Tho London is London and obviously readily accessible.

La Defense arena looks like an amazing place for a game. I haven't been there for one personally though. I was over for the game when unfortunately Axel passed away so cant comment on the atmosphere of a match in Paris but I can 150% endorse the hospitality and comradery of the Racing fans in Paris that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    If you have a choice, go Racing.

Sarries stadium isn't great to visit, the atmosphere is a bit crap and bar the small minority of hardcore old school Sarries fans they wernt good craic, even when they were hammering Munster and should have been in good spirits. Least enjoyable atmosphere I have ever been to.
    Tho London is London and obviously readily accessible.

La Defense arena looks like an amazing place for a game. I haven't been there for one personally though. I was over for the game when unfortunately Axel passed away so cant comment on the atmosphere of a match in Paris but I can 150% endorse the hospitality and comradery of the Racing fans in Paris that day.

Agree with all of the above. I've been to plastic park AKA Allianz Park for a game...The worst rugby trip ive been on. Surrounding area is awful, no atmosphere and no banter with the locals.Their team is class, but the club is soulless. A really drab day out.
    If you have the money/dates suit the racing trip is the one to target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

jacothelad wrote: »
    I was reading an article about Larkham and Rowntree being appointed to the Munster coaching staff. I think they are good signings but my thoughts actually turned to how lucky they are being on the doorstep of Kerry and West Cork for their free time. There are a few places in these islands that really pull me emotionally towards them. Donegal where I had a holiday home for 30 years and the West Highlands of Scotland are two but the Beara peninsula in particular has fascinated me since I was a little touring there in the 1950s. Standing at the top of the Healy Pass on a sunny day is one of the great memories I will always have. Touring from Ardgroom to Eyeries and then to Allahies is travelling a slice of heaven as are the cakes you can but in the Ardgroom Cafe....

Lucky men.

Did... the Beara peninsula write this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Racing is very doable as a day trip depending on kick off, I did it in January 2018. I did have to leg it after the game to get back to CDG but made it.

Everyone should experience that stadium at least once. Not rushing back this season but glad I went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I was at Racing vs Munster in SdF years ago ago. The few Racing fans we met in what was a small crowd in a deluge of rain were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Also don’t go to Swansea

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I've threatened to go to Treviso before but I think Racing might get the nod this time round, just to see the new stadium. And next time we get Clermont, I'm definitely going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,823 ✭✭✭✭phog

Caranica wrote: »
    Racing is very doable as a day trip depending on kick off, I did it in January 2018. I did have to leg it after the game to get back to CDG but made it.

Everyone should experience that stadium at least once. Not rushing back this season but glad I went there.

Probably more doable from Dublin but not so handy from any of the other airports

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Also don’t go to Swansea

Is Swansea that bad? I was thinking of going. Was already at Saracens for a London Irish game. To be honest London and Paris don't appeal to me. I'd like to get in an away match in either the Heineken cup or pro 14. I was in Gloucester and Edinburgh this year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

aloooof wrote: »
    I've threatened to go to Treviso before but I think Racing might get the nod this time round, just to see the new stadium. And next time we get Clermont, I'm definitely going.
    I didn't like treviso that much. Though was mainly around there for lake garda/venice.
    Is Swansea that bad? I was thinking of going. Was already at Saracens for a London Irish game. To be honest London and Paris don't appeal to me. I'd like to get in an away match in either the Heineken cup or pro 14. I was in Gloucester and Edinburgh this year
    great place for a session but nothing on Gloucester or Edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Did... the Beara peninsula write this?

If only I was the Beara Peninsula.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

phog wrote: »
    Probably more doable from Dublin but not so handy from any of the other airports

Yes, sorry should have added that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

"Soundwaves ripple through both jerseys, the visual representation of actual recordings taken from match footage and a memory that will live on in the jersey for years to come."

that was a real laugh out loud moment

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Has anyone heard of a rugby site called "Rugby Pass" they make out Munster made a short contract offer to Mathieu Bastareaud.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Macdarack wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of a rugby site called "Rugby Pass" they make out Munster made a short contract offer to Mathieu Bastareaud.

Clickedyclickedyclickbait.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That would make absolutely no sense. Munster are stacked with serviceable options at centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

From Rugbypass:

Mathieu Bastareaud is alleged to have received what has been described as a “concrete offer” to join Irish side Munster on a short-term deal covering the start of the 2019/20 season.

Seems legit.

:D

Absolutely made up rubbish. And I know i clicked on it. Shame!

• Advertisement

I never knew I wanted this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That would make absolutely no sense. Munster are stacked with serviceable options at centre.

But Kilcoyne going to RWC. Short in the front row

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I don't get the Swansea hate TBH. It's a grand drinking town. It can get a bit messy, but that's no different to any UK or Irish city. Maybe he's referring to the soulless stadium, but I've been to plenty of those type of stadiums in worse cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If I was a Munster fan and that actually happened, I'd be organising a protest at the Branch offices over negligent waste of funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

jacothelad wrote: »
    If only I was the Beara Peninsula.....:D

I'm getting married down that way later this year. At least I think its on the Beara Peninsula.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

RTE reporting that Bastareaud has been contacted by Munster and has a few options to consider.

"Munster are interested in signing former France international Mathieu Bastareaud on a short-term contract, RTÉ Sport understands.

Currently with Toulon, the powerful centre was surprisingly left out of the France's World Cup training squad, and is said to be weighing up his options ahead of his move to the USA in January, where he has signed a contract with Rugby United New York.

Midi Olympique is reporting that his former club, Stade Francais, and Montpellier are also interested in the 30-year-old, who retired from international rugby after the World Cup squad announcement.

It is understood that Munster have been in touch with Bastareaud, who is still mulling over his options."

Replacement for Rory Scannell/Chris Farrell if one of them goes to the RWC?

I think Bastareaud would slow down our backline though, so even if he were available I'd much rather see Daly or Arnold at 13 with Goggin at 12, and I'm expecting Scannell to be available also to rotate with Goggin.

Two quality centres in the academy also in McHenry and French, so there would be plenty of backup regardless of injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That is a bizarre approach to make. JVG seems quite intent on identifying a top class centre, most likely to replace Scannell in the side. Apparently Pollard was approached previously with 12 being a more likely position for him than 10.

But for 4 months, he'd cost a pretty penny, could well phone it in and it surely couldn't sit well with the existing options.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I'm getting married down that way later this year. At least I think its on the Beara Peninsula.

Ah yeah, but don't let them give you a negative view of the Peninsula :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Paul O'Connell interview, worth a listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Would be an awful waste of money to sign Bastareaud on a short term contract, especially seeing as Montpellier and Stade Francais have made offers as well so I can't imagine it'd be a cheap signing.

JVG is more than likely looking for a top class 12 replacement for Scannell, but a short-term signing doesn't really do anything, especially someone who is likely to still demand top wages as he'd have significant prospects in Japan or even the MLR if he was to cash out.

Advertisement