Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/teams/munster-squad/

The squad page has been updated, 44 senior players are listed including the promoted academy players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

That's disappointing news for Sherry but unfortunately not a big surprise. Fair play to him for getting back to rugby at all after making just one appearance due to injury for 18 months.

I haven't seen news on Duncan Williams' future, I assume he's hanging up the boots?

He said as much in his interview after cons win in the AIL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

aloooof wrote: »
    More recently, ROG has slightly softened his stance on that to be fair. It was from an interview last year (I think) where he said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that Zebo's hi-jinks and attitude in training used to wind him up and he saw that as Zebo not taking it seriously, but that he now saw it more as Zebo's way of getting through the training.

Exactly. From what I remember, ROG said he didn't understand him in the beginning, but changed his mind about him. And of course, ROG was at Racing when they recruited him.

ROG in February 2019.
    Attacking wise I think he offers something” O’Gara said on Virgin Media One.
    “The point I keep coming back to about Zebo is that certain people score tries. He’s a try-scorer. Every time if you look over the years… He always scores tries.”
    “It’s the same way you pay big money in soccer for strikers. Simon Zebo is a fella that gets you points on the board.”
    “With Rob there you probably have Conway disappointed, Larmour disappointed, Joey Carbery, Will Addison… But Simon Zebo in my eyes is better than those options.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

jm08 wrote: »
    Exactly. From what I remember, ROG said he didn't understand him in the beginning, but changed his mind about him. And of course, ROG was at Racing when they recruited him.

ROG in February 2019.

The version of Zebo that ROG talks about is not the version of Zebo that we saw in the 2nd half of this season. That version is Zebo is not better then some of the alternatives

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Zebo reminds me of Rupeni Caucaunibuca. A lot of talent, potential to be world class but lazy, no real work ethic and happy to just cruise along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭sioda

Shame about Mike Sherry great player just injuries at the wrong time allowing people to step into his spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think this Pau try was one of those moments for me. SZ isn't even in the frame once until the try is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

aloooof wrote: »
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah, as I said earlier his workrate wasn't something I questioned until his move to Racing. That despite the fact that it was something that was specifically called out by ROG in regards his application at training. FF is probably right. The move to Racing probably hasn't helped him there.

More recently, ROG has slightly softened his stance on that to be fair. It was from an interview last year (I think) where he said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that Zebo's hi-jinks and attitude in training used to wind him up and he saw that as Zebo not taking it seriously, but that he now saw it more as Zebo's way of getting through the training.

I didn't see that. That would seem to make sense as if he wasn't arsed in training I cant imagine that would endear him to fellow players. And he does seem to be popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Zebo reminds me of Rupeni Caucaunibuca. A lot of talent, potential to be world class but lazy, no real work ethic and happy to just cruise along.

If he had no real work ethic he wouldn’t have made a long term career out of rugby and reached the pinnacle in a hugely physically demanding sport, talk about jealousy here!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,301 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Lucas44 wrote: »
    ......and reached the pinnacle ......

did he??

i would have thought the criticism of him is that he hasnt hit his pinnacle.

i mean, surely part of "reaching the pinnacle" of an irish player would be to have a lions test cap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

What I disliked about Zebo the player was that if he had a 10% chance of a try and the guy inside/outside him had a 90% chance he backed himself the majority of the time. Great when it came off but frustrating as hell when it didn't. Saili was the same.

The guy has talent, of that there's no doubt, and I'd love to see what Larkham could make of it but I hate consistent selfish play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

sydthebeat wrote: »
    did he??

i would have thought the criticism of him is that he hasnt hit his pinnacle.

i mean, surely part of "reaching the pinnacle" of an irish player would be to have a lions test cap?

Yeah, that's exactly the question.

You have a guy who only made it to 35 test caps and was never first choice for his country, that's better than the vast majority of players of course but it's a stretch to say it is the pinnacle of the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You have a guy who only made it to 35 test caps and was never first choice for his country, that's better than the vast majority of players of course but it's a stretch to say it is the pinnacle of the game.

Agreed, but equally it's also a stretch to say he has "no real work ethic", which was earlier being suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

mark_way wrote: »
    Mr Big Man, slagging him off on the internet. The term 'keyboard warrior' springs to mind.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Translation: "I adore Simon and want to have his babies."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭jacothelad

mark_way wrote: »
    Mr Big Man, slagging him off on the internet. The term 'keyboard warrior' springs to mind.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Twaddle.

errlloyd wrote: »

I think this Pau try was one of those moments for me. SZ isn't even in the frame once until the try is inevitable.

You would have to question Simon's choice this season past of wearing heavily padded shorts.....It looks for some reason as if he has shoved a couple of pillows down them. Maybe he has piles.

I want the Munster thread back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Munster started back in preseason today...

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

errlloyd wrote: »

Why would he be? That try is down to failures on that side of the pitch. Zebo's playing fullback presumably covering the kicking option. He's not exactly lightning when he gets there but if I was to blame five players for that try he wouldn't be among them.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Won everything bar World Cup with ireland, Munsters all time try scorer and could well add more in the future and lions tourist/winner in aus

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Won everything bar World Cup with ireland, Munsters all time try scorer and could well add more in the future and lions tourist/winner in aus

Did Zebo win a Grand Slam?

Tom Court did. And he was a Lions tourist/winner in Australia. Must have been the pinnacle of the game for him too. All hail Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Did he play for the Lions?

???

Zebos only senior rugby honour is one 6N campaign (in which he didn't score any tries).

Not exactly something to be jealous of to be honest.

I want a thread title!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Caranica wrote: »
    I want a thread title!

Ask and you shall receive

Ask and you shall receive

OK, I'd also like Munster to win the Heineken Cup next season and the Pro14 for good measure :D

Caranica wrote: »
    OK, I'd also like Munster to win the Heineken Cup next season and the Pro14 for good measure :D

I'm not a miracle worker ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Why would he be? That try is down to failures on that side of the pitch. Zebo's playing fullback presumably covering the kicking option. He's not exactly lightning when he gets there but if I was to blame five players for that try he wouldn't be among them.

That is the worst attempt at defending poor play or else a terrible understanding of full back play. You pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭phog

Rinse and repeat

Soundwaves ripple through both jerseys, the visual representation of actual recordings taken from match footage and a memory that will live on in the jersey for years to come.

Bright, bold and unmistakable, the new Munster Rugby home jersey embodies Munster’s supporters in full voice with the alternate jersey, providing balance in striking navy with red under tones, symbolising the wall of silence unique to Thomond Park.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/07/03/new-jerseys-available-in-store-now/

People get paid to write this. Fair play to them.

• Advertisement

People get paid to write this. Fair play to them.

replace "shockwaves" for "soundwaves" and you get the same lazy BS they came up with for the leinster purple jersey.

The munster alternate one looks suspiciously like a barca jersey though

Advertisement