Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Refs lost the plot

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Munster needs to be very careful now. They've made two maul infringements in succession. Could be getting a third card soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Jesus is there anyone better in the world in a 5 metre defensive lineout? Like clockwork

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Hard to know what to take from this. Munster defence in one respect is excellent, but a stronger ref would have a number of Munster players in the bin at this stage. Suppose you play as they ref and they're getting away with it (in the sense of cards at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Shehal

Munster have completely downed their tools this 2nd half, the only reason this is game is because Munster's discipline is atrocious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

That defense is immense! At some stage it has to craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Sleepy Joseph

Saints are atrocious. Need to have a serious inquest into this. Should be an easy 5 pointer for Munster.

Contrary to Munster's discipline their defence has been remarkable. Granted Northampton attack has been as limited as it gets.

Northampton's ruck speed is slow as piss, its no wonder Munster have had such a field day defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We're a bit spoiled in Ireland by the overall quality in coaching imo. Northampton could have played 80 minutes against 14 men and wouldn't have scored a try. That's down to the quality of Munsters defence and the lack of it in Northampton's attack.

I do think Munster were very ill disciplined today though. Another referee would have penalised them harsher.

• Advertisement

I mean, their discipline has been atrocious almost consistently while in defence. They are lucky that the ref is weak and NH attack is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Fair play Munster, despite all efforts by the ref to spoil the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭OldRio

What a defence by Munster. Superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Wasn't pretty but a win is a win. Hopefully beat Saints at home and a lbp against Toulouse away will get us to round of 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Ah....barring the fight, Munster were reffed very generously. Should have had a PT and few more yellows cards

I'd say beating Saints at home with a BP would be enough to quality for R16. Wouldn't want to be relying on the LBP away after seeing what they did to Sale.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Last year 8 points was sufficient in one pool and 7 in the other.

I'm sure 9 or 10 points will be sufficient to qualify this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fitzgea1

Strange game, second half felt like a defense training exercise for munster, think they knew Northampton couldn't hurt them too much.

Thought the ref was generally poor. For the fight I thought I seen fingers around the eye area, there was also the forearm choke on the ground and then the flying shoulder on Earls. Yet it ends up as a yellow each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I really enjoyed that. Very physical and a decent scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭OldRio

I think JJ made a good point on commentating (he made many BTW) That it was standard practice in France for something like that to be refereed in that way. Crazy when you think of it. But 'cest la vie'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 fitzgea1

Ya seems mad but I guess it gets the game restarted quicker.

Agree on JJ, definitely has a pundit career ahead of him

Even if my Duvet was that long, I swear I'd still wake up with my feet outside it when it's cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Agree JJ was good today.

was a real addition to the game.

unlike most of BT Coverage

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Thoughts on that:

• Pretty good 1st half, but you’d have to mention the unforced errors. Incredibly resolute defence in the 2nd half but you’d have to mention the penalty count.
    • And hard not to mention the ref in that game; he seemed to lose a bit of control following the double-yellow incident. Don’t know how that came away 1 yellow apiece.
    • And no idea how Casey’s yellow wasn’t a penalty try. Game could’ve played out completely differently from there, but thought Munster managed the clock during the card periods after that very well. (And rode our luck not getting another card too).
    • We showed some good attacking intent again in the first half. Frisch looked good and involved again, and we put Earls away a few times. Excited to see Earls in this system.
    • Scrum platform was great throughout the game. We’re gonna miss John Ryan when he’s gone.
    • Thought Coombes was great today. He continues to wrack up the tries (I’m not sure there’s another player in Irish rugby I’d want 5m out, the 2nd was particularly well worked) but he had 2 big turnovers as well, and he’s down for 24 tackles. Serious work rate.
    • Mike Haley again with a great performance too (even showing up with a jackal) and Calvin Nash continues to efficiently go about his business.
    • Hodnett was super off the bench. Had hoped he’d come on sooner, was made for him to make tackle after tackle (and had one big turnover in there too). Killer too, good of the bench, and a lot better than he’d been lately.
    • Thought it surprising we didn’t challenge their lineout early on, but you’d nearly put your house on POM making a crucial lineout steal when we’re up against.
    • Crowley at 12 didn’t quite work as well as off the bench last week but he’ll learn from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

What is the deal with our 2nd rows.... Edogbo, Aherne and the SouthAfrican Viking, are they out long term still?

on the game, I only saw the second half and that was an utter pile of donkey manure...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Snyman latest was he’ll be back in Feb but that was a few months ago.

Ahern is out for a few months and I don’t think they give injury updates on academy players for Edogbo.

We’re also missing Fineen Wycherly too, so we’re fairly stretched there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Winning away to any English side, managing so many injuries in key power positions, is a huge result. The ref, the shmozzle, the possibe penalty try, yeah, there's definitely a lot for the coaches to analyze. But dammit that turned into a proper scrap, and coming out on top will be a great lift to the camp, and confidence in the defensive system. You could see how much it mattered to Rowntree at the end. Played some lovely stuff in attack in the first half too. Onwards and upwards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Kiran McDonald's short term cover contract included a term that he was URC only. He didn't want to become cup tied apparently.

Fineen Wycherly was mentioned as not to far off 3 weeks ago.

Edogbo was 6-7 weeks last week.

Ahern was reported as 4 months at the start of November.

Synman was reported as not this year in October. I don't know if not this year means just after this year (in January) or who knows.

I'm not allowing myself to think of a back 5 of Edogbo, Snyman, Beirne, O'Mahony, Coombes. I can't do that to myself.

• Advertisement

Watching back here.

Opening 15 mins were actually great. Try was on if Murray had gone to Joey instead of Coombes with the pass before Joey gave away the breakdown penalty. Crowley looking to take it into contact like Scrappy Doo, but his lines are very clever. A slightly higher pass before his knock-on (before the scrum that led to Coombes's first try) might have seen him slip through. No question about power up front either, which, considering the lack of locks, is very encouraging. Ball was definitely down in the phase before Coombes's registered the first try. Joey having a very tidy game too, great overall decision making. Also, Earls looks like he hasn't missed a step. Such an asset on the wing, just makes yards, secures possession. Every time.

Advertisement