Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

nerd69 wrote: »
    That hodnett news is a damn shame. Was really looking forward to watching him this year think he could have been a starter by end of the season. Hopefully he does not lose explosiveness

I think he was on track to be a starter by December.
    Best 7 in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

Lots compared to who?
    Logan is gone maybe 2/3 weeks. I wouldnt worry too much about it as his two assistants are with Munster 4/5 years etc and isnt too much of an issue.

I didn't compare us to any other team. Pointless exercise in meaningless stats and "well known facts". We have several key players with long term injuries, and in these straitened times, where the provinces and the IRFU are haemhorraging money, there is no cover available. So, I DO* worry, and IMO it IS an issue!

His 2 'Assistants' can have all the experience in the world, but it doesn't mean that the function of Athletic Performance is working well. if it was, we wouldn't be where we are.

*Rugby worry - not real life worry ;-)

[Lots of other things to worry about right now]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

blindsider wrote: »
    I didn't compare us to any other team. Pointless exercise in meaningless stats and "well known facts". We have several key players with long term injuries, and in these straitened times, where the provinces and the IRFU are haemhorraging money, there is no cover available. So, I DO* worry, and IMO it IS an issue!

His 2 'Assistants' can have all the experience in the world, but it doesn't mean that the function of Athletic Performance is working well. if it was, we wouldn't be where we are.

*Rugby worry - not real life worry ;-)

[Lots of other things to worry about right now]
    You said Munster have a lot of serious injuries but a lot compared to who?
    There is always a significant number of any professional squad out injured.
    The 2 assistants have been working with Munster for years and know structures, systems everything the players are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

I'm delighted that you think everything is perfectly okay and that our Injury Profile is just fine.

I disagree with that, but I'm not going to get into a keyboard argument stemming from a reasonable question re a key vacancy we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I'm delighted that you think everything is perfectly okay and that our Injury Profile is just fine.

I disagree with that, but I'm not going to get into a keyboard argument stemming from a reasonable question re a key vacancy we have.
    Im not saying everything is perfectly ok but if our injury record is so poor then who is it poor when you compare it? Surely you must have some other teams and can back up that the munster injury record is so bad.

As i said already the man is gone two or three weeks. Munster had plenty of time to plan for if they hadnt got a replacement for him immediately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Any word on a new Head of Athletic Performance?

Looks like we need one.

I know rugby is a physical sport, but we seem to have a lot of (more serious) injuries on a regular basis.

I remember reading an article about Mark Cueto and all his injuries. He blamed it on bulking up too much and his body and ligaments couldn't handle all that weight. Said when he slimmed down he was injury free. I believe it. The likes of Stephen ferris was carrying too much weight for his frame whereas Heaslip used to be alot heavier when he was 19 than when he was playing pro. He was naturally big but slimmed down. Bigger guys have bigger bone structure and can just naturally carry it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Other than Cloete, who in the Munster squad looks to be carrying too much muscle mass? I don't think that's really an issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Side named to face Ospreys

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/preview/team-named-munster-side-to-face-ospreys-3/

Munster: Mike Haley; Darren Sweetnam, Rory Scannell, Damian de Allende, Matt Gallagher; JJ Hanrahan, Craig Casey; James Cronin, Kevin O’Byrne, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Fineen Wycherley; Jack O’Donoghue (C), Tommy O’Donnell, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Josh Wycherley, John Ryan, Billy Holland, Jack O’Sullivan, Nick McCarthy, Ben Healy, Dan Goggin.

Haley at FB with Gallagher starting his second game on the wing

JJ gets the nod at 10

John Ryan returns from Irish camp to take his place on the bench

Would love to see Tommy get a run of games without injury. With Cloete and Hodnett injured, he's our only fit 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

SUAF_1879 wrote: »
    Would love to see Tommy get a run of games without injury. With Cloete and Hodnett injured, he's our only fit 7.

When he's on form he's a great seven. But he'll definitely need a run of games to get himself back, if that's possible.

• Advertisement

When he's on form he's a great seven. But he'll definitely need a run of games to get himself back, if that's possible.

It is mad to think he's made 180 Munster appearances, you would have to imagine that would be significantly higher only for injuries.

Would love to see him reach 200 but with his contract up next Summer, I doubt it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

And the 10% mrsc discount works on top of that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Great to see Coombes starting to excel, looking forward to an eventual Coombes, Hodnett and O'sullivan backrow would love to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭phog

InterPros fixtures confirmed
    Munster Rounds 9-11 Fixtures
    Round 9

Saturday, December 26: Munster v Leinster, Thomond Park, 7.35pm; Live on eir Sport

Round 10

Saturday, January 2: Ulster v Munster, Kingspan Stadium, 5.15pm; Live on Premier Sports, eir Sport

Round 11

Saturday, January 9: Connacht v Munster, The Sportsground, 7.35pm; Live on TG4, eir Sport, Premier Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

JJ Hanrahan was removed with a thigh contusion in the first half of Sunday’s bonus-point win over Ospreys and will be assessed as the week goes on.

There is positive news for Liam O’Connor (calf) and Roman Salanoa (thigh) as they are being re-introduced to training this week.

John Hodnett’s surgery on his achilles tendon went well and he has begun his rehabilitation.

Unavailable: Liam Coombes (hamstring), Alex McHenry (thumb), Chris Cloete (neck), Jeremy Loughman (shoulder), Niall Scannell (neck), Neil Cronin (knee), Dave Kilcoyne (ankle), RG Snyman (knee), Joey Carbery (ankle).

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/11/18/squad-update-preparations-begin-for-glasgow-warriors/

Massive boost to get LOC back, suddenly our situation at loosehead looks much healthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

yerrahbah wrote: »
    You could make a pretty decent team from the players who are unavailable to Munster this weekend

Kilcoyne (Inj)
    Loughmam (inj)
    O'Connor (inj)
    N.Scannell (inj)
    Salanoa (inj)
    Ryan (IRL)
    Snyman (inj)
    Beirne (IRL)
    O'Mahony (IRL)
    Hodnett (inj)
    Cloete (inj)
    Stander (IRL)
    Murray (IRL)
    N.Cronin (inj)
    Carbery (inj)
    McHenry (inj)
    Farrell (IRL)
    L. Coombes (inj)
    Earls (IRL)
    Conway (IRL)
    Daly (IRL)

Plus 1 Covid case

How did Salanoa get injured? I only saw him play about 10 minutes all season, did he pull a Snyman

Akrasia wrote: »
    How did Salanoa get injured? I only saw him play about 10 minutes all season, did he pull a Snyman

He picked up a thigh injury, but is now back in training (as is Liam O'Connor). This information is literally one post above yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

He picked up a thigh injury, but is now back in training (as is Liam O'Connor). This information is literally one post above yours.

In fairness that's not what he asked.

At some point between the Cardiff Match on the 26th October and the squad update on November 3rd He picked up a knock. Presumably in training as he wasn't in the quad for the Dragons game in that time.

And he has only featured twice in the league so far for a total of 19 minutes (8 + 11)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

What's going on with Joey? Still no timeline according to Larkam this morning. They must know a timeline and if they're not releasing it I don't think we'll see him back. Has anyone heard anything through the grapevine or anywhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

What's going on with Joey? Still no timeline according to Larkam this morning. They must know a timeline and if they're not releasing it I don't think we'll see him back. Has anyone heard anything through the grapevine or anywhere else?

They deliberately gave no timeline. He'll be back when his injuries are healed and he's fit. Rugby players aren't machines who can recover to a schedule. Putting pressure on players to get back early, as with Joey for Japan, can do more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭CONSI

Anyone know if IRFU is picking up Joeys wage since this all stems from the injury playing with Ireland and him being rushed back for the world cup..

CONSI wrote: »
    Anyone know if IRFU is picking up Joeys wage since this all stems from the injury playing with Ireland and him being rushed back for the world cup..

The IRFU picks up everyone's wages.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,068 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Munster are billing Joe Schmidt directly at the World Rugby offices in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Lots of Academy players pictured on the Instagram today, inter alia Wren, French, French eile, Crowley. Would love to see a few of them in a match day squad in the coming weeks - get their first shot.

I'd go for:

Cronin, KOB, Ryan/Archer, Kleyn, Wycherley, Coombes, JOD, JOS;
    Casey, Healy, Sweetnam, DDA, Scannell, Nash, Gallagher

Marshall, LOC, Knox, Ahern, TOD, McCarthy, Goggin, Haley

JOS is probably due a start after two recent bench appearances so Coombes gets pushed to the blindside.

The following week is Zebre at home where you'd expect more academy players to get a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

POM pulled one out of the archives today, hopefully we get an Indian summer out of him in green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Tbh, I'm wearing my Munster hat now...that Irish performance was poor .. very poor...we have 3 hookers at Munster who could have performed better today... Conway should have been in the side..or bench at least...and if anyone thinks Casey would have done worse than JGP today, I'll laugh heartily..
    POM was out of position..and still brilliant .. Stander saved a certain try.. earls put in a good shift..and unlike the other winger...looked like he knew how to attack properly.... think we'll see The Sherminator involved in the 6N camp too at this point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Tbh, I'm wearing my Munster hat now...that Irish performance was poor .. very poor...we have 3 hookers at Munster who could have performed better today... Conway should have been in the side..or bench at least...and if anyone thinks Casey would have done worse than JGP today, I'll laugh heartily..
    POM was out of position..and still brilliant .. Stander saved a certain try.. earls put in a good shift..and unlike the other winger...looked like he knew how to attack properly.... think we'll see The Sherminator involved in the 6N camp too at this point

Some impressively 3 inch think red munster sunglasses you have watching that game...laughable

Advertisement