Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Apparently Wooton is moving to Connacht.

He started the semi final vs Racing in 2018 but has only played 120 mins this season

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Caranica wrote: »
    Source?

Limerick Leader reporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Munster now too. Confirmed signing of Roman Salanoa too.

https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status/1262337942749614087

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Wootton looked like he had real potential a few years back. We don't produce many big, athletic wingers like him and it looked like he could step up and become a fixture in the team. I recall he started ahead of Zebo that day and Sweetnam didn't make the 23.

At 26, it's probably time for him to look elsewhere if he hasn't kicked on from that year despite Zebo departing. Hopefully Nash steps up and becomes that person who establishes himself long term. It will be interesting to see how it pans out with Earls probably starting to wind down this season a little and Gallagher arriving. Places in the back three could become very competitive.

Kevin O'Byrne 2022
    Rhys Marshall 2021
    Niall Scannell 2021

Diarmuid Barron Year 2
    Eoghan Clarke Year 2

James Cronin 2021
    Dave Kilcoyne 2023
    Liam O'Connor 2022
    Jeremy Loughman 2022

James French Year 2
    Josh Wycherley Year 2

Stephen Archer 2022
    Keynan Knox 2022
    Ciaran Parker 2020
    John Ryan 2022
    Roman Salanoa 2022
    Brian Scott 2020

Tadhg Beirne 2022
    Billy Holland 2021
    Jean Kleyn 2022
    Sean O'Connor 2020
    Darren O'Shea 2020
    RG Snyman 2022
    Fineen Wycherley 2021

Thomas Ahern Year 2
    Paddy Kelly Year 1
    Eoin O'Connor Year 1

Gavin Coombes 2021
    Chris Cloete 2022
    Tommy O'Donnell 2021
    Jack O'Donoghue 2021
    Peter O'Mahony 2021
    Jack O'Sullivan 2023
    CJ Stander 2021

Jack Daly Year 2
    John Hodnett Year 1

Craig Casey 2021
    Neil Cronin 2021
    Nick McCarthy 2021
    Conor Murray 2022

Jack Stafford Year 3

Tyler Bleyendaal 2021
    Joey Carbery 2022
    JJ Hanrahan 2021

Jake Flannery Year 1
    Ben Healy Year 2

Damian de Allende 2022
    Chris Farrell 2022
    Dan Goggin 2022
    Alex McHenry 2021
    Rory Scannell 2021

Sean French Year 2

Andrew Conway 2023
    Liam Coombes 2021
    Shane Daly 2021
    Keith Earls 2021
    Matt Gallagher 2022
    Mike Haley 2021
    Calvin Nash 2021
    Darren Sweetnam 2021
    Alex Wootton 2021

Alan Tynan Year 3
    Jonathan Wren Year 2

Confirmed 2020/21 NIEs:
    RG Snyman (capped), Damian de Allende (capped)

IN: RG Snyman (LK, Honda Heat), Damian de Allende (CT, Panasonic Wild Knights), Matt Gallagher (FB, Saracens)
    OUT: Sammy Arnold (CT, Connacht), Arno Botha (BR, Blue Bulls), Conor Oliver (BR, Connacht)

Out of Contract:
    Ciaran Parker
    Brian Scott
    Sean O'Connor
    Darren O'Shea
    Jack Stafford
    Alan Tynan

Sorry, got mixed up, that's Arnold and Oliver confirmed for Connacht. No word on Wootton. Would think if it was happening, they'd be confirmed all together. Doesn't he have another season left on his contract too?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Sorry, got mixed up, that's Arnold and Oliver confirmed for Connacht. No word on Wootton. Would think if it was happening, they'd be confirmed all together. Doesn't he have another season left on his contract too?

Munster like to dripfeed contract news.
    I had said on the Connacht thread that I'd be surprised if Munster let Wootton go with a year left but looking at that list there's too many back three players there.

Munster like to dripfeed contract news.
    I had said on the Connacht thread that I'd be surprised if Munster let Wootton go with a year left but looking at that list there's too many back three players there.

Yeah I get that they wouldn't announce say 9 players leaving in one go but if it's between announcing 2 or 3 players at one time wouldn't make a massive difference. Not that I'd be surprised if he goes just not sure logic behind not announcing it now. Presumably players all know by now too.

• Advertisement

Reads as if Sammy was given option to re-sign for Munster judging by this

https://twitter.com/SammyArnold9/status/1262343142285729793/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Reads as if Sammy was given option to re-sign for Munster judging by this

https://twitter.com/SammyArnold9/status/1262343142285729793/photo/1

There could have been a contract on the table from Munster...

But he was effectively 4th choice centre with Munster this season, with De Allende arriving in the summer.

It's the right move for Arnold. A new contract at Munster would most likely have him sitting in the stands for big games.

yerrahbah wrote: »
    There could have been a contract on the table from Munster...

But he was effectively 4th choice centre with Munster this season, with De Allende arriving in the summer.

Ah yeah, just bit surprised he was offered one under those circumstances.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ruaidhri O'Connor suggesting Munster's signings could feature if and when the season returns.

aloooof wrote: »
    Ruaidhri O'Connor suggesting Munster's signings could feature if and when the season returns.

It's a tricky one. The players leaving clubs will be gone on the 1st July so you almost have to allow the new signings be eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It's a tricky one. The players leaving clubs will be gone on the 1st July so you almost have to allow the new signings be eligible.

Yeah I’d be thinking any games from last seasons competitions will allow the new squads to play. Otherwise a team could be in a tough position potentially.

Update from Munster on new signings:

Munster Rugby’s incoming signings Damian de Allende, Matt Gallagher, Roman Salanoa and RG Snyman will commence their contracts with the province on July 1.
    For the trio arriving from overseas – de Allende, Gallagher and Snyman – current government measures require passengers to complete a public health passenger locator form and to self-isolate for a 14-day period.

After arriving from Japan earlier this month, Damian has followed all measures and completed his self-isolation period. The World Cup-winning centre will use the upcoming weeks to finalise living arrangements and settle into his new life in Limerick ahead of the 2020/21 season.

RG is expected to arrive at the end of the month with Gallagher due to arrive in June.

Greencore Munster Rugby Academy players Liam Coombes, Keynan Knox, Alex McHenry and Jack O’Sullivan also advance to the senior squad next season.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/05/19/update-incoming-signings/#post

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The wording of that press statement suggests the new arrivals won't be available for the recommencement of the season, if it eventually goes ahead. Or maybe I'm just reading into it too much.

It reads to me like they'll be fully available unless stated elsewhere. The only stumbling block I could see would be any registration issues with the league relating to those registered for the 2019/20 season. I reckon there won't be though.

I can see someone like Edinburgh being a little sore about it and trying to block it potentially though given they're the most likely team to miss out due to Munster suddenly becoming unexpectedly stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Buer wrote: »
    It reads to me like they'll be fully available unless stated elsewhere. The only stumbling block I could see would be any registration issues with the league relating to those registered for the 2019/20 season. I reckon there won't be though.

I can see someone like Edinburgh being a little sore about it and trying to block it potentially though given they're the most likely team to miss out due to Munster suddenly becoming unexpectedly stronger.

Players will have changed clubs all over the league from July 1st, so they'd have to stop any player who's changed club from playing. I'm sure Edinburgh would want any new signings to play seeing as they've released 9 players.

Edinburgh have only signed a couple of journeymen who probably won't make their starting team. They don't have the money to replace the guys they've released. Their academy is probably going to get a serious run out this season.

On the balance of things, they're going to lose out but there's not a lot they can do other than curse their luck. If the playoffs happened this month as scheduled and Munster had to go to Edinburgh, it was a scratch game. Edinburgh potentially would have even gone in as 1 or 2 point favourites. If that game takes place in August/September, I'd be making Munster 7 point favourites at this stage.

Is the proposed format for Pro14, interpro games that would count as league games and then knock-out games based on current league standings plus result? Haven't really kept up with the plans floating about tbh!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Is the proposed format for Pro14, interpro games that would count as league games and then knock-out games based on current league standings plus result? Haven't really kept up with the plans floating about tbh!

Nobody knows. It's all still just rumours.

That's the rumour. In Ireland, I assume it would be just ask the provinces to complete the remaining two interpro matches. Munster would travel to Dublin and host Connacht.

Edinburgh would go home and away to Glasgow etc.

Nothing set in stone though and it could all fall by the wayside yet.

Buer wrote: »
    That's the rumour. In Ireland, I assume it would be just ask the provinces to complete the remaining two interpro matches. Munster would travel to Dublin and host Connacht.

Edinburgh would go home and away to Glasgow etc.

Nothing set in stone though and it could all fall by the wayside yet.

From a restriction point of view they may be the easiest to start with. Whether they end up counting is another thing but I suppose if everyone plays out theirs in each country and it’s equal games played then they’ll probably count them for whatever end game or qualifications that they need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

https://www.the42.ie/munster-de-allende-snyman-gallagher-5102780-May2020/

Allende already completed 14 day self quarantine..
    the 2 other lads, Snyman and Gallagher will be good to go by July 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

salmocab wrote: »
    From a restriction point of view they may be the easiest to start with. Whether they end up counting is another thing but I suppose if everyone plays out theirs in each country and it’s equal games played then they’ll probably count them for whatever end game or qualifications that they need to.

So Connacht will desperately try to defend their european spot vs Munster and Ulster when Treviso will kick them out by facing Zebre twice (4 times the season!)

I can't see how this could even be imagined

"There is an over-riding obligation on the players to observe the laws and to respect the principles of fair play." "rugby is rightly proud of its ability to retain high standards of sportsmanship, ethical behaviour and fair play."

World Rugby Laws of the Game

That would not be fair-play or ethical. At all

connachta wrote: »
    So Connacht will desperately try to defend their european spot vs Munster and Ulster when Treviso will kick them out by facing Zebre twice (4 times the season!)

I can't see how this could even be imagined

"There is an over-riding obligation on the players to observe the laws and to respect the principles of fair play." "rugby is rightly proud of its ability to retain high standards of sportsmanship, ethical behaviour and fair play."

World Rugby Laws of the Game

That would not be fair-play or ethical. At all

I imagined it quite easily to be honest, although to be perfectly honest and I know this will shock you I didn’t even consider Connacht. They will do whatever they can do to get things done and if it’s harsh on some teams then really there’s not much can be done.
    If I was you though I’d not spend anytime worrying about it because there’s just no way to know what will happen and whatever does happen will be well beyond your control.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    I imagined it quite easily to be honest, although to be perfectly honest and I know this will shock you I didn’t even consider Connacht. They will do whatever they can do to get things done and if it’s harsh on some teams then really there’s not much can be done.
    If I was you though I’d not spend anytime worrying about it because there’s just no way to know what will happen and whatever does happen will be well beyond your control.

I think you'll find it's spelled Connaught.

Advertisement