Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The solution to this mess is getting the players to understand the rules and their responsibilities.

You would kind of hope everyone would at least quickly read the information that comes with any medication. Not sure anyone should bother going to the effort of an expensive set up to get around that requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Unfortunately, it was an idea I had myself... but there has to be some checks put in place..to make the players responsible is fundamentally flawed.
    My thinking was that it would be the doctors responsibility...if a player needs meds...he gets them.
    Surely in this day and age the provinces can work out a deal with a particular pharmacy and try to eliminate this kind of mess

It will always be the athletes ultimate responsibility, if a club decided to go rogue and dope their players your idea seems the best place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

salmocab wrote: »
    It will always be the athletes ultimate responsibility, if a club decided to go rogue and dope their players your idea seems the best place to start.

Since it's the IRFU I would hope not

The pharmacy made a mistake. How would having an in house pharmacy mean that a mistake was impossible?

Not in-house
    Doctor is responsible for prescriptions, and physically giving them to players.
    Not too many James Cronin's playing for Munster.
    If a mistake is made .the doctor can easily rectify the mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Since it's the IRFU I would hope not

Well obviously not but your suggesting a system where the player isn’t ultimately responsible for his body. It will always and should always be the athletes responsibility as to what goes into his body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Not in-house
    Doctor is responsible for prescriptions, and physically giving them to players.
    Not too many James Cronin's playing for Munster.
    If a mistake is made .the doctor can easily rectify the mistake

The provinces already have doctors on staff, generally part time for obvious enough reasons. They don't need to treat players like children, they just need to educate players to check anything they're taking, like professional athletes. I'm sure the docs are happy to take a call if they have any questions!

There'll always be mistakes though to be fair. It's unrealistic to expect 100% of people to be 100% sure about everything they're taking 100% of the time. Fairly reassuring it was caught, if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

This had occurred to me as well ..with all the professional parts of the IRFU... possibly the most important non playing part is doping .. there is most definitely a need for an in-house pharmacy to eliminate any chance of a further disaster...

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/if-ever-there-was-a-perfect-week-for-munster-and-the-irfu-to-bury-bad-news-this-was-it-james-cronin/

Interesting idea. Get someone in to give advice to the players and supply them with what they need. Maybe a bit like Jamie Astaphan and Charlie Francis's group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

So with the new signings presumably coming in by the time rugby is back what do yous guys see as munsters strongest potential 15/23 providing everyone is fully fit?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

So with the new signings presumably coming in by the time rugby is back what do yous guys see as munsters strongest potential 15/23 providing everyone is fully fit?

To me, this wouldn't be far off:

1. Kilcoyne
    2. Scannell
    3. Ryan
    4. Kleyn
    5. Snyman
    6. POM
    7. JOD
    8. CJ
    9. Murray
    10. Carbery
    11. Earls
    12. De Allende
    13. Farrell
    14. Conway
    15. Haley

16. Marshall
    17. Loughman
    18. Archer
    19. Beirne
    20. TOD
    21. Casey
    22. JJ
    23. Goggin

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

You'd have to wonder if Rory Scannell will be considering his future. He's someone who had Irish ambitions not that long ago although they seem to have fallen by the wayside. He's highly unlikely to be selected ahead of DDA or Farrell in the centre and you'd have to think JJH would be the logical choice for the 22 slot as he covers more and is an established goal kicker. None of those guys will be in the Irish 23 either (Farrell would be in the event of injuries).

He's still only 26 but, if he wants to really maximise his career, he might be departing Munster and Ireland. I think he has a contract up to the end of 2021 at which time he'll really need to consider his options.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

aloooof wrote: »

1. Kilcoyne
    2. Scannell
    3. Ryan
    4. Kleyn
    5. Snyman
    6. POM
    7. JOD
    8. CJ
    9. Murray
    10. Carbery
    11. Earls
    12. De Allende
    13. Farrell
    14. Conway
    15. Haley

16. Marshall
    17. Loughman
    18. Archer
    19. Beirne
    20. TOD
    21. Casey
    22. JJ
    23. Goggin

There's still one glaring problem with that team. JOD is not and never will be a 7. I'd start a fit TOD there every day of the week.

1. Kilcoyne
    2. Scannell
    3. Ryan
    4. Kleyn
    5. Snyman
    6. POM
    7. JOD
    8. CJ
    9. Murray
    10. Carbery
    11. Earls
    12. De Allende
    13. Farrell
    14. Conway
    15. Haley

16. Marshall
    17. Loughman
    18. Archer
    19. Beirne
    20. TOD
    21. Casey
    22. JJ
    23. Goggin

I think Gallagher has been signed to slot in at 15

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

1. Kilcoyne
    2. Scannell
    3. Ryan
    4. Kleyn
    5. Snyman
    6. POM
    7. JOD
    8. CJ
    9. Murray
    10. Carbery
    11. Earls
    12. De Allende
    13. Farrell
    14. Conway
    15. Haley

16. Marshall
    17. Loughman
    18. Archer
    19. Beirne
    20. TOD
    21. Casey
    22. JJ
    23. Goggin

Tadgh Beirne at 6 pom 7 tod bench

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think Gallagher has been signed to slot in at 15

Quite likely but I'd say he's also signed with an eye to Keith Earls winding down (33 in October) and they'll look to accommodate Haley and MG both in the back three in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Quite likely but I'd say he's also signed with an eye to Keith Earls winding down (33 in October) and they'll look to accommodate Haley and MG both in the back three in time.

There was talk online that MG was replacing Haley with Haley returning to England in the summer, releasing him the final year of his deal but due to Covid who knows what will happen.

Munster have a lot of decisions to make in the back three. Conway is a certain starter but with Earls maybe having 1-2 top seasons left there are spots up for grabs. Only Gallagher and Conway are signed up past 2020/21. Sweetnam and Wootton looked like big prospects but they've been injured recently and Shane Daly has emerged in the interim. Calvin Nash will hopefully get more opportunties and Liam Coombes was promoted from the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

1. Jeremy Loughman
    2. Niall Scannell
    3. Stephen Archer/John Ryan
    4. Billy Holland
    5. R.G. Snyman
    6. C.J. Stander
    7. Peter O'Mahony
    8. Jack O'Sullivan
    9. Conor Murray
    10. J.J. Hanrahan
    11. Shane Daly
    12. Rory Scannell
    13. Damian de Allende
    14. Andrew Conway
    15. Matt Gallagher

16. Kevin O'Byrne
    17. David Kilcoyne
    18. John Ryan/Stephen Archer/Keynan Knox
    19. Gavin Coombes
    20. John Hodnett
    21. Craig Casey
    22. Dan Goggin/Ben Healy
    23. Keith Earls

Very tough on Jack O'Donoghue. He's been excellent recently and well deserved his Ireland call-up. He's a first-rate blindside and a very useful no. 8. He's better in the lineout as a 6 than Stander but would probably need to be somewhat better either in terms of handling skills or powerful ball carrying to be a top, top level 8. I think it would be worth giving O'Sullivan a serious selection push. He's very dynamic in the carry and is a classy footballer. I'd say he's potentially better than Doris and Deegan.

Coombes and Hodnett cover the back five of the pack positions very well between them and are probably the best options for making a physical impact off the bench.

Kilcoyne is probably best suited to the role of bench impact player and Loughman's skilset probably makes him a better fit if they want to play a smarter game.

I'd say de Allende at 13 might work better given Munster's other options in the centre. If it was him at 12 do Munster have a 13 capable of making use of the space he'd create for them?

Carbery will probably get injured again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

1. Jeremy Loughman
    2. Niall Scannell
    3. Stephen Archer/John Ryan
    4. Billy Holland
    5. R.G. Snyman
    6. C.J. Stander
    7. Peter O'Mahony
    8. Jack O'Sullivan
    9. Conor Murray
    10. J.J. Hanrahan
    11. Shane Daly
    12. Rory Scannell
    13. Damian de Allende
    14. Andrew Conway
    15. Matt Gallagher

16. Kevin O'Byrne
    17. David Kilcoyne
    18. John Ryan/Stephen Archer/Keynan Knox
    19. Gavin Coombes
    20. John Hodnett
    21. Craig Casey
    22. Dan Goggin/Ben Healy
    23. Keith Earls

Very tough on Jack O'Donoghue. He's been excellent recently and well deserved his Ireland call-up. He's a first-rate blindside and a very useful no. 8. He's better in the lineout as a 6 than Stander but would probably need to be somewhat better either in terms of handling skills or powerful ball carrying to be a top, top level 8. I think it would be worth giving O'Sullivan a serious selection push. He's very dynamic in the carry and is a classy footballer. I'd say he's potentially better than Doris and Deegan.

Coombes and Hodnett cover the back five of the pack positions very well between them and are probably the best options for making a physical impact off the bench.

Kilcoyne is probably best suited to the role of bench impact player and Loughman's skilset probably makes him a better fit if they want to play a smarter game.

I'd say de Allende at 13 might work better given Munster's other options in the centre. If it was him at 12 do Munster have a 13 capable of making use of the space he'd create for them?

Carbery will probably get injured again.
    Jack o f handling skills are top class it's not that that is an issue. Cj at 8 with Jack o d ahead of Jack o sul on blindside
    Farrell maybe at 13. Or goggin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Arno is out of contract at the end of the season but good to know he's got a place to go if this is true.

https://twitter.com/DjRossouw87/status/1259008408851808263?s=09

Yeah, with the lack of international games on the horizon, he's not really needed anymore, wish him all the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

When normality resumes hooefully carbery will be back fighting fit but my wish is to see Ben Healy been given a fair crack ,jj just too inconsistent and has been around longer enough and given enough chances he’s a squad player at best Healy whilst young looks the part

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Yeah, with the lack of international games on the horizon, he's not really needed anymore, wish him all the best

He was a good option to have while the likes of Hodnett and JOS were developing in the background. Now they're ready to take his spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Where exactly has the lack of transparency been?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Have been out of the loop on any squad news lately. Have there been any announcements on players who's contract is up at end of season yet? Or will Munster wait until it's known whether this season will finish before those sort of announcements? Is it just De Allende, Snyman and Gallagher coming in?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Eod100 wrote: »
    Have been out of the loop on any squad news lately. Have there been any announcements on players who's contract is up at end of season yet? Or will Munster wait until it's known whether this season will finish before those sort of announcements? Is it just De Allende, Snyman and Gallagher coming in?
    there likely wont be any announcements as noone really knows when any games will be played next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Where exactly has the lack of transparency been?

I didn't say there was any.

But in the best case scenario, you have a doping violation that has been explained by an incredible confluence of events and which resulted in no punishment for the player. The investigation itself seems to have been brief to the point of being worthless.

Given rugby's questionable attitude to doping, I think it's good optics for the sport for someone else to be looking at it. If there's no grounds for objection, then that's good news.

There are still a lot of very odd questions about this case which just aren't answered by what has been published by EPCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

I didn't say there was any.

But in the best case scenario, you have a doping violation that has been explained by an incredible confluence of events and which resulted in no punishment for the player. The investigation itself seems to have been brief to the point of being worthless.

Given rugby's questionable attitude to doping, I think it's good optics for the sport for someone else to be looking at it. If there's no grounds for objection, then that's good news.

There are still a lot of very odd questions about this case which just aren't answered by what has been published by EPCR.

What do you feel hasn't been answered?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

What do you feel hasn't been answered?

Cronin wasn't interviewed by the JO which is strange.

The pharmacy has links to people within the Munster set up.

The pharmacy didn't put an address in the prescription details when dispensing. That's a breach of protocol.

Its all too neat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Cronin wasn't interviewed by the JO which is strange.

The pharmacy has links to people within the Munster set up.

The pharmacy didn't put an address in the prescription details when dispensing. That's a breach of protocol.

Its all too neat.

Cronin waived his right to have this heard by a judicial committee and accepted the charge from the off. That means no hearing and formal questioning of Cronin himself. If you believe this is unusual do you have stats of how often a JO will interview someone who has pleaded guilty and there is no hearing?

I'm unaware so what are the links of the pharmacy to the Munster set up?

In the official report on the EPRC website the details relating to what was on the medicine when it was dispensed have been redacted. Where are you getting the detail of the address being missing?

Advertisement