Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I didn't say it wasn't serious. I said his life was in no danger. You and the other guy had said it was life-threatening. It wasn't.

I never said his particular life was in danger. I said the mis-dispensing of medicines is extremely dangerous. The pharmacist is lucky that their mistake didn’t have serious health implications on one side. We don’t know if the other party suffered because of the mistake.

Not sure what the hostility is about. But anyhoo I re read the report there and I may have put 2&2 together and got 22 the wrong outcome. portion 7.3 says the tablets had the name James Cronin in and I made a mental leap, between a private that and another conversation I was having someone saying mad how there's 2 James Cronin's or something to that effect

Almost as if mistakes happen

No hostility, but accuracy is important in a situation where a player is being discussed in these regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

KSU wrote: »
    I was being a bit facetious with life threatening however to say it is not harmful to your liver is not entirely true (in rare cases albeit)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3304646/

My point was more the fact that anyone taking five tablets of an antibiotic at any one time would surely raise alarm bells in your average person let alone someone who is signed up to adhere to WADA code and would have mandatory anti doping training through the club and IRFU

Not really, dosage instructions were on the bottle as per the review from the EPCR, I think most people probably wouldn't question the dosage on a prescription that's printed and handed out by a pharmacist. I know I probably wouldn't as I haven't a breeze about those kind of things

If he was using PED's, why did he get them from a pharmacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Because it's the last place they'd look.

• Advertisement

Presumably Aldi’s Thursdays specials were out of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

They're all at it. Hard to know if you can believe what's happening out on the pitch in front of you anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭phog

On this day 2001

EWHY8yAU0AYgSBq?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

If Cronin tests positive again is that a lifetime ban then? That's how it works in sports that take doping more seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Why wouldn't he there have been a large number of doctors in recent times embroiled in scandal in recent years. Probably less likely to be caught that way than having a package go through customs.

While the unlikelihood of it happening has been questions has anyone done the probablilty from the other side?

What are the odds that there would be a name match in a local pharmacy AND that both would have a prescription to be collected on the same day AND that the other patient just happened to be taking a known PED AND the pharmacy would make a mistake.

Forget sport Cronin should have just done the lottery and retired with clicking those sort of odds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's Cork, sure they're all named Cronin. And as a corollary to that fact, would generally need a fair amount of medication.

I'll get me coat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

In fairness I'm from a small town and can think of 5 James Cronins off the top of my head. Scale that up to a city and it's more likely than you'd think, especially during flu season. Would be entirely different if his name was Tyler Bleyendaal for example, rather than a fairly common combination of Irish names.

If Cronin tests positive again is that a lifetime ban then? That's how it works in sports that take doping more seriously.

Poor effort.

Why wouldn't he there have been a large number of doctors in recent times embroiled in scandal in recent years. Probably less likely to be caught that way than having a package go through customs.

While the unlikelihood of it happening has been questions has anyone done the probablilty from the other side?

What are the odds that there would be a name match in a local pharmacy AND that both would have a prescription to be collected on the same day AND that the other patient just happened to be taking a known PED AND the pharmacy would make a mistake.

Forget sport Cronin should have just done the lottery and retired with clicking those sort of odds

So you didnt read the report and you dont know anything about steroids.

phog wrote: »
    On this day 2001

EWHY8yAU0AYgSBq?format=jpg&name=small

And not a beer to be had in town by midnight

you dont know anything about steroids.

Nope, not a thing, enlighten me...

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Nope, not a thing, enlighten me...

Take a high dose of prednisolone for a month and try to run a 10k. See if your performance has been enhanced.

Take a high dose of prednisolone for a month and try to run a 10k. See if your performance has been enhanced.

Or take it acutely and see benefits in submax exercise, CHO and fat utilization and oxygen consumption as per research.

also anecdotally refer to the US National 10k record holder and see if prednisone negatively affected his performance

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Or take it acutely and see benefits in submax exercise, CHO and fat utilization and oxygen consumption as per research.

also anecdotally refer to the US National 10k record holder and see if prednisone negatively affected his performance

Well as per the article you linked to he was also taking testosterone, an anabolic steroid. That would surely balance the catabolic effects of a corticosteroid.

Athletes suffering from injury used to get corticosteroids the whole time. There was a famous incident at Man United in the 90s, where Roy Keane told Alex Ferguson he wouldn't play without a cortisone injection. To which David Beckham objected that if Keano was getting a new car then he wanted one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭phog

There's one or two posters here who seem to want to say that Cronin deliberately took performance enhancing drugs and when found out, the team doctor, Munster and Irish Rugby and a pharmacy collaborated to dream up a chain of events that would go some way towards clearing Cronin or trying for him not getting a ban or getting a reduced ban.

It might be less painful for the normal followers of this thread if we just nod in agreement and let them get on with their conspiracy theories. They might tire and move on to a thread on how the world is square.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Mod note

If Cronin is to be discussed. Stick to the facts of the case there's a judgement and all to reference. What has happened in other sports bears little to no weight in this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

phog wrote: »
    There's one or two posters here who seem to want to say that Cronin deliberately took performance enhancing drugs and when found out, the team doctor, Munster and Irish Rugby and a pharmacy collaborated to dream up a chain of events that would go some way towards clearing Cronin or trying for him not getting a ban or getting a reduced ban.

It might be less painful for the normal followers of this thread if we just nod in agreement and let them get on with their conspiracy theories. They might tire and move on to a thread on how the world is square.

The rugby gemmaroids are invading the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Now thats a scary thought

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    The rugby gemmaroids are invading the thread.

Very good. Will add this to the lexicon along with Gemtrails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

This had occurred to me as well ..with all the professional parts of the IRFU... possibly the most important non playing part is doping .. there is most definitely a need for an in-house pharmacy to eliminate any chance of a further disaster...

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/if-ever-there-was-a-perfect-week-for-munster-and-the-irfu-to-bury-bad-news-this-was-it-james-cronin/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This had occurred to me as well ..with all the professional parts of the IRFU... possibly the most important non playing part is doping .. there is most definitely a need for an in-house pharmacy to eliminate any chance of a further disaster...

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/if-ever-there-was-a-perfect-week-for-munster-and-the-irfu-to-bury-bad-news-this-was-it-james-cronin/

They're definitely not going to license and run their own pharmacy, but they could certainly bring in a pharmacist for a few hours a week, which is what they/the provinces do on the medical side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Shouldn't need to be said, but if you're taking your inspiration from Rugby Pass, you're doing it wrong.

I can't think of anything less likely to happen or more pointless than an in house pharmacy.

And if we got one, who would we blame for the next f**k up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Shouldn't need to be said, but if you're taking your inspiration from Rugby Pass, you're doing it wrong.

I can't think of anything less likely to happen or more pointless than an in house pharmacy.

And if we got one, who would we blame for the next f**k up?

Unfortunately, it was an idea I had myself... but there has to be some checks put in place..to make the players responsible is fundamentally flawed.
    My thinking was that it would be the doctors responsibility...if a player needs meds...he gets them.
    Surely in this day and age the provinces can work out a deal with a particular pharmacy and try to eliminate this kind of mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The solution to this mess is getting the players to understand the rules and their responsibilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Unfortunately, it was an idea I had myself... but there has to be some checks put in place..to make the players responsible is fundamentally flawed.
    My thinking was that it would be the doctors responsibility...if a player needs meds...he gets them.
    Surely in this day and age the provinces can work out a deal with a particular pharmacy and try to eliminate this kind of mess

The pharmacy made a mistake. How would having an in house pharmacy mean that a mistake was impossible?

Advertisement