Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who is at fault?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

grogi wrote: »
    What if it is 12:05 ?!

Then its after 12....:confused:

TheChizler wrote: »
    It's not safe to enter another lane while there's someone else in it. Whether they should be there or not has no bearing on the safety and should not guide your actions.

I didnt say it did, I said the other person is in the wrong lane and disobeying the rules of the road.
    If the lazy gits had marked the lanes correctly then the OP wouldnt be changing lanes, the red car would, so which has priority ROTR and lack of signage to the contrary, or a circular dotted line which is, to me at least, meaningless?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Probably not the best tactic, but I'd try to speed ahead of the person in the outer lane and I'd probably try to cross into the outer lane prior to exiting the roundabout to ensure the person in the left lane doesn't go into the side of me. It's all well and good saying "well, I indicated, and I'm allowed to exit from the inner lane" but you're still crossing into a lane that another motorist is in and other drivers can be awful.
    That's if I found myself in your position of being in the second lane. Most of the time, I'd probably only be in that lane if I wanted to turn right.
    OT but I was in Israel and noticed all the dual carriageways either had traffic lights rather than roundabouts (the green light flashed prior turning to amber to give you a chance to slow down), or they reduced to one lane before a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

GreeBo wrote: »
    Then its after 12....:confused:

You seem pretty sure you'll be able to distinguish between 11:55 and 12:05 exits... Especially then you're entering the RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Sono wrote: »
    You are both wrong, the person in the left lane could be coming from 9 o’clock and is perfectly entitled to drive past that exit in that lane if they are.
    Is red supposed to stop on the inner lane, indicate that he's going to take the exit and then only proceed when safe to do so?

Technically you're probably correct but it's not particularly practical. Red would have seen blue if blue was coming into the roundabout from an entrance in front but it's much more difficult if blue is parallel or behind. Any accident would have been 99% blue's fault for being in the wrong lane initially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I like to close my eyes and shout "Jesus take the wheel!". Works every time.

You seem pretty sure you'll be able to distinguish between 11:55 and 12:05 exits... Especially then you're entering the RB.

Signage shows you where your exit is.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2537875,-6.1774864,3a,60y,15.94h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTgNhdSF-tESWg2VCcgHzVA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I like to close my eyes and shout "Jesus take the wheel!". Works every time.
    I tried that in Mexico and 12 people tried to get into my car.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Is red supposed to stop on the inner lane, indicate that he's going to take the exit and then only proceed when safe to do so?

Yes. Or even better keep going around.

The signage at the exit suggest that left lane is for exiting or staying in the RB, right for keeping on the RB only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

The signage at the exit suggest that left lane is for exiting or staying in the RB, right for keeping on the RB only.

What? That sign in the image shared by GreeBo means left lane for Leopardstown only, right lane for Southbound....... You do not go past 12 o'clock in the left hand lane of a roundabout.

Yes. Or even better keep going around.

Lol.
    Perhaps we should setup traffic lights at the junction of you have just described.

Actually, maybe a roundabout would allow for more freeflowing traffic....oops.

More reasonably, the blue car should stop and wait until their way is clear, since they are the ones making a bags of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Lol.
    Perhaps we should setup traffic lights at the junction of you have just described.

Actually, maybe a roundabout would allow for more freeflowing traffic....oops.

More reasonably, the blue car should stop and wait until their way is clear, since they are the ones making a bags of everything.

I'm somewhat flabbergasted, and alarmingly concerned, about how people believe that the blue car is not at fault. Jesus, you do not go passed 12 o'clock in the left hand lane EVER, unless of course signage indicates otherwise. I'm driving over 10 years and have never come across a roundabout where you take the left hand lane to go passed 12 o'clock.

jaxxx wrote: »
    I'm somewhat flabbergasted, and alarmingly concerned, about how people believe that the blue car is not at fault. Jesus, you do not go passed 12 o'clock in the left hand lane EVER, unless of course signage indicates otherwise. I'm driving over 10 years and have never come across a roundabout where you take the left hand lane to go passed 12 o'clock.

There was one posted earlier, but it was clearly signposted as "different".
    I've never (knowingly!) come across one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

other driver is in wrong lane to go round roundabout to 3rd exit.

doesnt every post on roundabouts say that?

seamus wrote: »
    In the absence of any road markings, you are primarily in the wrong. You crossed the lane of the other driver. His position may be incorrect, but he still has right of way and you would not be entitled to leave your lane without giving way.

This is not correct. I can think of at least one roundabout where you may take the 3rd exit from the left-hand lane. Consequently on that roundabout you *cannot* take the second exit from the right-hand lane.

Edit, Here: https://goo.gl/maps/DsqzyHEKc9s
    Look at the markings.

This is the post I referenced above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The blue car is in the 'wrong' lane. But they are not at fault if red and blue crash.
    Those two statements are not contradictory.
    Turning into a car in the wrong lane, makes the turner the one at fault.

Compare :
    Straight single lane in each direction road with broken line. Blue and Red car are travelling in the same direction. Blue moves into the other direction lane to overtake red. Yellow turns out of a side road in the other direction. Yellow claims blue is at fault because they were in the wrong lane. We all know this is nonsense, and that blue can be in the other side of the road even though they are not in the correct lane for the direction they are travelling, and that yellow is entirely at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

jaxxx wrote: »

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.0625,-113.6067555,4z

There you go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

This is nuts. The photo posted above showed the left lane continues into the exit only. The right lane continues into the right lane of the exit and continues on the roundabout. Red didn't cross anyone elses lane so he can't be at fault.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

IMO, you're both in the wrong. However, I'm on that roundabout at least twice a day and from what I can see, people are in the wrong lane 90% of the time there. I usually come on at the ballyogan road and off at the exit you were taking, but I always double check there's nobody in the left lane before turning off, I wouldn't just assume someone in that lane was going straight, even if they had their indicator on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok here we go, here is the exact spot where I made my exit. Me Red, Other driver blue. Is my exit right or wrong ?

Your in the wrong lane....He/she is in wrong lane

Both should be banned for life off the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Sono wrote: »
    You are both wrong, the person in the left lane could be coming from 9 o’clock and is perfectly entitled to drive past that exit in that lane if they are.
    If they came on from the OPs left, they would have had to wait for the OP to pass, so it wouldnt have been an issue, from what I got, they started in the same location, other driver at fault.
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Your in the wrong lane....He/she is in wrong lane

Both should be banned for life off the road

The OP might be better in the left lane but it looks from the images provided that he/she can continue on. It also looks like there are road markings that say the left lane can proceed past 12 oclock, but Ive seen a few examples where the lane markings say you can do stuff and its outright incorrect or some examples near me which says you cant and its also outright incorrect, either down to incompetence of the person who drew the plans/authorised them/and ultimately the company/people who put the markings down without questioning it.
    Two lanes on and two lanes off, OPs done little wrong here, in this example the other person was a complete clueless/lazy/oblivious idiot.
    Essentially going right at a roundabout is bad practice and not one to done unless (road markings say so and you use your own intelligence to confirm if this is correct AND you are completely aware of your surroundings such as other vehicles).
    Its not worth the hassle, like everyone the OP just needs to be cautious of other people on the road who are clueless morons, one poster even suggested flooring it ahead of the car, which would more likely put 2 cars in a collision, best thing is to avoid or go around rather than be involved in that.
    Ive seen other examples where people just use roundabouts poorly despite the markings, in one example its because straight is offset from 12 in one direction (and 11 from the other) they just park in the lane for doing a right turn/go around the roundabout, 99% of people do it.
    One person I knew even told me it was the shortest way across, meaning to cut lanes while going around!? some people are both selfish and clueless, when I asked hom why he didnt just drive over the island, he just smiled.
    Improving markings/signage might help but some people are beyond help, how they ever got licenced given its supposed to be a bit more difficult than many other jurisdictions is astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

palance wrote: »
    Well ye're both in the wrong lane to begin with. Red going to the 2nd exit should have been in the left-side lane in the first place. Blue, going into the 3rd exit should have been in the right-side lane. There would have been no issue then.

63 people as of this morning are wrong.

2 lanes on approach, 2 lanes on the roundabout, 2 lanes off it at the exit the OP took.

OP was perfectly entitled to exit as they did. Other car was in the wrong here, but the fact that so many people here think the same as the above poster is why situations like this arise in the first place.

1874 wrote: »
    If they came on from the OPs left, they would have had to wait for the OP to pass, so it wouldnt have been an issue, from what I got, they started in the same location, other driver at fault.

Why would they wait if there was a perfectly free lane to enter and drive on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Try driving the 6 road, three lane Walkinstown roundabout at lunchtime weekdays for heart stopping performances from sudden ambush parkers on Ballymount rd or vans up your ass when someone suddenly stops in front of you leaving you stuck in the middle with no escape.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Why would they wait if there was a perfectly free lane to enter and drive on?

You mean if the OP was already on the roundabout?!
    If you're saying what I think you're saying thats a serious concern, Just because another lane (other than the one in use) is empty does not mean you can drive onto a roundabout when someone is already there!
    Yield right of way or give way is the rule,

That more or less confirms what I see a lot of, me going right, in righthand lane, cars coming up slip road from opposite direction drive out onto roundabout becuase they think that the nearside lane is empty, if thats the thinking thats going around, people need to get some lessons.

1874 wrote: »
    You mean if the OP was already on the roundabout?!
    If you're saying what I think you're saying thats a serious concern, Just because another lane (other than the one in use) is empty does not mean you can drive onto a roundabout when someone is already there!
    Yield right of way or give way is the rule

That more or less confirms what I see a lot of, me going right, in righthand lane, cars coming up slip road from opposite direction drive out onto roundabout becuase they think that the nearside lane is empty, if thats the thinking thats going around, people need to get some lessons.

But in this case the Blue could enter and drive 100 m without interfering with the op's Red. It was only when Red suddenly decided to cut across a traffic lane the danger occured.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    63 people as of this morning are wrong.

2 lanes on approach, 2 lanes on the roundabout, 2 lanes off it at the exit the OP took.

OP was perfectly entitled to exit as they did. Other car was in the wrong here, but the fact that so many people here think the same as the above poster is why situations like this arise in the first place.

OP is in wrong lane to exit roundabout.
    A lot of roundabouts are marked incorrectly.
    They are a series of left hand junctions

Junction rules.
    Exit from the left lane only
    Like any junction, the left lane can be used to continue ie stay on the roundabout.
    It is a lane, like any other lane and OP can not "cut across" - same rules as any lane he or she will use

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

But in this case the Blue could enter and drive 100 m without interfering with the op's Red. It was only when Red suddenly decided to cut across a traffic lane the danger occured.

he didn't do that at all, he was in one of the two correct lanes to go straight on. The other car was in the incorrect lane to be going one exit further.

This is so clearly the case, that it makes me wonder about the general standard of people's driving. Whoever taught you to drive? (answer : No one, they just sat in and drove on a Provisional)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

OP is in wrong lane to exit roundabout.
    A lot of roundabouts are marked incorrectly.
    They are a series of left hand junctions

Junction rules.
    Exit from the left lane only
    Like any junction, the left lane can be used to continue ie stay on the roundabout.
    It is a lane, like any other lane and OP can not "cut across" - same rules as any lane he or she will use
    I'd mostly agree, they're technically not in an exit lane as the lane marking continues around the roundabout. But there's nothing wrong with checking your mirrors, indicating, and crossing out of the inside lane to exit when safe to do so. No law prohibits this.

Any guideline or convention on which lane to be in from entrance to exit is subjective, as long as you obey the law at the point you're at then you're not doing anything wrong. The problem comes when, due to convention, other people might not expect you to carry out your perfectly legal maneuver, and this is why guidelines are important to follow.

Of course when it comes to insurance and blame, it's all about subjectivity! :D

Advertisement