Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is Mountjoy?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

So the story was 'pulled out of his arse'?

You have the perfect username for that comment! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Ok. My mrs works with inmates and she’s my only source. But you seem to feel you know more about it.

I work with ex prisoners quite a bit and would be involved in support around trauma and can honestly say I've never heard of anything like you describe , I'm aware of a single solitary event that got into the media.
    I've got a couple of friends who are prison officers too and a couple of friends who are ex prisoners too , all saying it's almost none existant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I work with ex prisoners quite a bit and would be involved in support around trauma and can honestly say I've never heard of anything like you describe , I'm aware of a single solitary event that got into the media.
    I've got a couple of friends who are prison officers too and a couple of friends who are ex prisoners too , all saying it's almost none existant.

Yeah it seems I’ve got faulty info.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

In saying that , I only work with a particular subset , however I'm aware of young offenders being victims of that type if assault, under 18s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Where did you get this faulty info from? Your mrs?

The AMA here on boards from a former inmate and prison guard are both great reads.
    Both saying there is not the same rape culture in Irish prison as there is in other countries.
    There may be some consensual stuff happening but it's kept very low key as they would not want any other inmates finding out.

In fairness to you and your wife, she can only go on information given to her by inmates. Inmates like to wind up the teachers sometimes and most of the teachers believe what they are told.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    In fairness to you and your wife, she can only go on information given to her by inmates. Inmates like to wind up the teachers sometimes and most of the teachers believe what they are told.

She’s not a teacher. She only works with inmates with mental health problems or learning difficulties or both.

But she’s my only source of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Loads of consensual stuff goes on but very little in the way of sexual assaults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

nannerby wrote: »
    Loads of consensual stuff goes on but very little in the way of sexual assaults.

In other counties rape is used as punishment and means to have control and fear over another inmate. Any info I've read would indicate this is not a thing in Irish prisons, other means may be used but not rape.
    A rapist in an Irish prison would have to be moved to Arbour Hill for his own protection, it's not tolerated.

• Advertisement

Arbour Hill may be full of rapists but there are protection wings in almost every prison with as many if not more rapists/sex offenders than Arbour Hill.

nannerby wrote:
    Arbour Hill may be full of rapists but there are protection wings in almost every prison with as many if not more rapists/sex offenders than Arbour Hill.

Arbour Hill is one of the most laid back prisons. They take in wife killers & sex offenders. They can't take violent sex offenders or regular murders. The troublesome & violent sex offender has to be kept on seg units in more secure prisons. Wheatfield and the Midlands have secure seg wings. I'm not sure about other prisons like Cork and Castlereagh

They also have protection wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

kneemos wrote: »
    Was watching a documentary on American prisons and "turning out" as they call it.

Ain't pretty.

https://youtu.be/QKbnWW-4K-A

Watching Sergeant Anderson trying to put his weapon back in his pants was priceless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Compared to prisons in Mexico,your Mountjoy is like a daycare,heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

in the showers...solitary confinement

Advertisement