Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is Mountjoy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Are you Frank McCourt??

Angela?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

dar100 wrote: »
    Angela?

When I was growing up we didn’t even have a house, just a puddle. And we weren’t given swimming lessons. We had to fight over dirt to eat for dinner. Oh woe is me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

When I was growing up we didn’t even have a house, just a puddle. And we weren’t given swimming lessons. We had to fight over dirt to eat for dinner. Oh woe is me!!

You still managed to master some fairly good keyboard warrior skills in that there puddle.... moma must of having a second more affluent puddle on the side

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

dar100 wrote: »
    You still managed to master some fairly good keyboard warrior skills in that there puddle.... moma must of having a second more affluent puddle on the side

I could'nt help reading your profile, and posts, and have to admit, your the kind of man who can sway the heart and mind of the hardest right winger.

Many stay stuck in the rut. Others fight it. Some finally succeed. Your in the last category. Sorry if I sound like a patronising prick..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I can’t imagine mountjoy is pleasant. I know that if I was sent there I wouldn’t cope. I think anyone who is able to survive that and then better themselves is commendable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Jane_Dough

Are there any D4s in Mountjoy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Jane_Dough wrote: »
    Are there any D4s in Mountjoy?

Probably, apparently white collar criminals get to work in the kitchen all day and then locked up at night so it's a type of segregation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There was a documentary on one of the Irish channels tonight about the Midlands prison. I only caught a few minutes of it. It's a lot more modern than Mountjoy but for anyone interested in this thread might find the documentary interesting. I'm sure it will be on rte player

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There was a documentary on one of the Irish channels tonight about the Midlands prison. I only caught a few minutes of it. It's a lot more modern than Mountjoy but for anyone interested in this thread might find the documentary interesting. I'm sure it will be on rte player

That's a 4 part documentary filmed over a full year called "Inside Ireland’s Biggest Prison - True Lives" and tonight's was part 2 of 4. the first one aired on Wed Feb 6 2019.

It's on Virgin media One

Player

https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/player/show/1618/154426/0/Inside-Ireland%27s-Biggest-Prison

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

It’s a 4 week documentary, started last week, on virgin media one 😉 inside Ireland’s biggest prison

What gadgetman said 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

4 years with 25%off for good behaviour =3 years.

How did you get out after 1 year? Was some of the 4 years suspended by the judge?

Part suspension

GAA Beo wrote: »
    Places like Mountjoy are worse if you don't know people in there. I'd say a lot of lads in there know each other from outside, also all the gangs etc. Could be hard to keep your head down. Seen an Irish prison film on netflix decent enough called Michael inside, wonder how accurate it is?

Wonder how often lads get slashed in the face with a blade or get the boiling water and sugar treatment? You could be minding your own business and some toerag could take a disliking to you.

Just saw the very poignant Michael Inside on Netflix tonight and I've the precise same curiosity so a search on Boards brought up this thread. How common is such violence in Mountjoy? Do you have to have some sort of gang protection in real life? If a prisoner, like Michael in that film, did inform the prison authorities that he feared for his life, would they protect him or would things just get worse?

Also, is sexual assault common in Irish prisons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Just saw the very poignant Michael Inside on Netflix tonight and I've the precise same curiosity so a search on Boards brought up this thread. How common is such violence in Mountjoy? Do you have to have some sort of gang protection in real life? If a prisoner, like Michael in that film, did inform the prison authorities that he feared for his life, would they protect him or would things just get worse?

I know someone who did 9 months and said Michael Inside is very accurate.

There's an ASK ME ANYTHING with a fella who did a few years in there, there's one from a prison warden aswell. Can't link but it's on here somewhere

From what I've heard no rapes or anything it's all a myth but then again nobody would admit it. Fellas giving blowjobs for drugs or tabacco alright

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

One of the most ridiculous myths about prisons is that sexual assault is endemic, people can't become gay anymore than they can become black, there's bound to be sound people you'd get on with in there as well, it's also nonsense that they're a permanent war zone or a riot is always on the brink of kicking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Any1 rember a tv show called Oz? If they werent killing each other they were riding each other!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Any1 rember a tv show called Oz? If they werent killing each other they were riding each other!!

Yeah, horrible show, depressing as it was probably pretty realistic, the scum in there - plus the scum working and profiting from the whole system.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,960 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

macnug wrote: »
    Depends on the prison itself, Mountjoy is probably the worst in ireland. US are one of the worst in western world imo, Californian prisons are the worst for white inmates, East Coast not as bad. South American prisons are way worse though, don't even get a bed in most just a rat infested floor.
    And is there no crime in those places with horrible prisons?

US2 wrote: »
    From what I've heard no rapes or anything it's all a myth but then again nobody would admit it. Fellas giving blowjobs for drugs or tabacco alright

There is rape but not like in films. They call it “bullying” instead of rape, for some reason. And they almost never report it so the stats say there’s no rape, but that’s not the full story. Telling tales isn’t really well regarded in prison. Snitches gets stitches, and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

OP why don’t you commit a heinous crime and get to spend a nice long spell in there. Then you can come back and tell us

Thee is rape but not like in films. They call it “bullying†instead of rape, for some reason. And they almost never report it so the stats say there’s no rape, but that’s not the full story. Telling tales isn’t really well regarded in prison. Snitches gets stitches, and all that.

Bigge load of nonsense. You have been watching too much TV mate.

Plenty of posters are prison officers or have spent time in prison. Not a single one would agree with your assumption

• Advertisement

Bigge load of nonsense. You have been watching too much TV mate.

Plenty of posters are prison officers or have spent time in prison. Not a single one would agree with your assumption

Which assumption are you referring to? I made 4 claims in that post.
    1. There is rape in prison but not like in films.
    2. Rape in prison is referred to as “bullying”
    3. It’s under reported, because,
    4. Reporting crimes to the prison guards isn’t well regarded.

Which assumption is nonsense?

I’d add in another claim, it tends to be vulnerable inmates who are targeted for sexual assault - the learning disabled are an easier target

Which assumption are you referring to? I made 3 claims in that post. 1. Rape in prison is referred to as “bullying†2. It’s under reported, because, 3. Reporting crimes to the prison guards isn’t well regarded.

Which assumption is nonsense?

All three to be honest.

1. Rape in Irish prison is called Rape. It has NEVER been classified as bullying

2. Its not under reported. It almost never happens in Irish prison. You are talking one every 5 to 10 years.

3. Inmates report crimes daily in Irish prison, to prison officers and to the governor.

Here is what you don't understand. The rapist has more to fear than the victim in Irish prison. The rapist can & will be sliced up. He will have to spend the rest of his sentence on 24 hour lock up. The worst label you can have in a regular Irish prison is being a jockey. A rat comes close 2nd BUT not if you rat out a jockey. Someone who "outs" a jockey or a rat is "the man" in prison. He is never seen as a rat.

Your assumptions aren't fact based. You watch too much TV or you are talking about prison in a different country.

All three to be honest.

1. Rape in Irish prison is called Rape. It has NEVER been classified as bullying

2. Its not under reported. It almost never happens in Irish prison. You are talking one every 5 to 10 years.

3. Inmates report crimes daily in Irish prison, to prison officers and to the governor.

Here is what you don't understand. The rapist has more to fear than the victim in Irish prison. The rapist can & will be sliced up. He will have to spend the rest of his sentence on 24 hour lock up. The worst label you can have in a regular Irish prison is being a jockey. A rat comes close 2nd BUT not if you rat out a jockey. Someone who "outs" a jockey or a rat is "the man" in prison. He is never seen as a rat.

Your assumptions aren't fact based. You watch too much TV or you are talking about prison in a different country.

Ok. My mrs works with inmates and she’s my only source. But you seem to feel you know more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mark25

Have seen that too and it is pretty realistic in some ways. But that type if violence wouldn't be happening all the time like people think. Most of the trouble that goes on is from things that have happened on the outside. One of the first things you get asked when you go in is if you are fighting with anybody on the outside and that then decides what landing you get put on. Peoplegrt into trouble inside for things like drugs, gambling or "borrowing" something. It mostly doesn't happen for no reason.

People from gangs do hang out together but you don't need gang protection. It is easier if you know or know of people in there and you tend to get with people you have something in common with - like being from the same area etc. If you don't go looking for trouble or causing trouble or being something you are not you are normally OK. I only had 2 issues with people when I was in there and nothing too serious either time. If you have hundreds of young/youngish lads locked up together that's bound to happen but far from an every day thing.

Yeah you could tell the Officers if you are having a problem but most people don't - just not done. If something happens its normally sorted out among the different prisoners in some way. If you went to the screws you would probably end up on protection which most people don't want.

Sexual assault - well heard the odd rumour but didn't see anything myself. When I was there St Pats was still there so everybody in Mountjoy was over 21. Mountjoy was better than it used to be - slopping out was gone and it was mostly single cells (think it's all single cells now) so much less chance of anything like that happening. Like it's bad enough being there but it's not a total war zone there either.

Ok. My mrs works with inmates and she’s my only source. But you seem to feel you know more about it.

Obviously yes I do

Obviously yes I do

How do you know so much?

How do you know so much?

That's a little personal but I am very knowledgeable about Cloverhill, Wheatfield, Mountjoy and Lachlan House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

How do you know so much?

There was an accusation of rape in 2000 in Mountjoy. The lad who had been allegedly raped had been bullying someone. Another couple of lads from the bullied lads area found out. When the bullier was taking in drugs off a visit, he was pulled into the toilets at the end of the wing. When he wouldn't hand over the drugs, they were taken out with a metal spoon.

So that's at least one false allegation of rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

pablo128 wrote: »
    There was an accusation of rape in 2000 in Mountjoy. The lad who had been allegedly raped had been bullying someone. Another couple of lads from the bullied lads area found out. When the bullier was taking in drugs off a visit, he was pulled into the toilets at the end of the wing. When he wouldn't hand over the drugs, they were taken out with a metal spoon.

So that's at least one false allegation of rape.

So the story was 'pulled out of his arse'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

So the story was 'pulled out of his arse'?

???

Advertisement