Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is Mountjoy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Read a book many years ago called

Junkyard , about all the junkies in the joy sharing their experiences with needle sharing, aids, gear etc

Very depressing

Changed days these days, very few inject . When I was younger they would inject coke too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

dar100 wrote: »
    Paths was ok, very similar in many respects to the Joy in layout, environment , lock up times, etc. However, cells were more modernised with toilets and sinks, and it was good that you got a single cell if sentenced, remand had to share. Yes officers were both gender, and generally they were ok.

Ah Cork was a long story, I spent a year there, then two months in The Block, which is like solitary confinement for 23 hours a day with no access to aTv, radio, smokes if you smoke etc,. I then moved up to the old portlaoise to finish my sentence, that was my first sentence and unfortunately not my last.

However, i was released from prison in 2007 and haven't been back since, i did receive a 6 year suspended sentence in 2009 for offences committed in 2005. Ironically that was my first suspended sentence, my first ever conviction was 4 years in prison.

Anyway, that all in the past, I've a degree, a masters and on my way to a Ph.D now. I rarely speak about my past this is bringing back lots of memories for me

What were you in prison for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Murdering a nosy forum poster :D;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Murdering a nosy forum poster :D;)

Perhaps but I'm just curious that with his degree and masters and all that if he has paid any compensation to those he has injured, defrauded or what ever.

Perhaps but I'm just curious that with his degree and masters and all that if he has paid any compensation to those he has injured, defrauded or what ever.

I'm also curious as to how he paid for a masters and PhD -they don't come cheap- if he was locked up?

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    I went to a boarding school. It was actually the cheapest boarding school in the country.
    St Flannan's? I'll have you know my old school pipped you to the post! (Wilsons, both now in the public system, more or less)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

I was awaiting such a post. The convictions I have are not something that I am going to get into on a forum. However, the purpose of prison is one of punishment, and 'payment' to those victimised.

I believe you are looking through this as some type of civil case where monetary value is attached to said perceived harms. These were criminal matters, punished by a loss of liberty over sustained periods, that was my 'payment'.

In addition to the above, I will forever have lifelong criminal convictions on my record, impacting on the countries that I can travel to, types of employment I can engage in, insurance prices, and the shame and embarrassment this evokes in me. Ultimately, irregardless of what I do, and how long I do it for, I will always have this follow me. In many instances, these were crimes committed when I was 14, 15 and 16; yes I committed criminal acts when older to. I take full responsibility for this and I try to give back by providing guidance and support to those still engaged in this and other types of behaviour.

But to answer your question fully, no I have never provided for financial redress to any party.

I'm also curious as to how he paid for a masters and PhD -they don't come cheap- if he was locked up?

Ah the old i dont like others getting on with life....

My degrees were funded by myself through private fee paging colleges, on a part time basis while working full time. I also raise my two young children as a single father, and bought my house.

How have you paid for yours, on the susi grant by the state?

I was awaiting such a post. The convictions I have are not something that I am going to get into on a forum. However, the purpose of prison is one of punishment, and 'payment' to those victimised.

I believe you are looking through this as some type of civil case where monetary value is attached to said perceived harms. These were criminal matters, punished by a loss of liberty over sustained periods, that was my 'payment'.

In addition to the above, I will forever have lifelong criminal convictions on my record, impacting on the countries that I can travel to, types of employment I can engage in, insurance prices, and the shame and embarrassment this evokes in me. Ultimately, irregardless of what I do, and how long I do it for, I will always have this follow me. In many instances, these were crimes committed when I was 14, 15 and 16; yes I committed criminal acts when older to. I take full responsibility for this and I try to give back by providing guidance and support to those still engaged in this and other types of behaviour.

But to answer your question fully, no I have never provided for financial redress to any party.

That's fair enough you have moved on. You say you have several convictions so I assume some victims were out of pocket but will not receive anything back from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

My degrees were funded by myself through private fee paging colleges, on a part time basis while working full time. How have you paid for yours, on the susi grant by the state?

I for one are glad you have moved on in your life and are no longer engaged in crime and instead doing well in life. Well done, I can't imagine it's easy either.

• Advertisement

My degrees were funded by myself through private fee paging colleges, on a part time basis while working full time. How have you paid for yours, on the susi grant by the state?

No problem with you getting on with life we all have to do that but most of us didn't act the bolox beforehand.

No problem with you getting on with life we all have to do that but most of us didn't act the bolox beforehand.

Your questioning style and assertions would allude to something different; but thats your choice.

he has repaid his debt to society in the most dramatic way at our disposal, the deprivation of personal liberty. Try to imagine what that is like, being taken away by the State and removed from your life and loved ones, including a partner and children if you have them. I can't even imagine.

The guy now seems to be doing all the right things, you'd think everyone would be glad for him, but...

Like you're acting now?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

It’s not even that he did his time

He appears to have turned his life around, contributing to society in many ways

Can’t undo your past, but this guy appears to have left it behind and doing the best he can

What else can he do?

he has repaid his debt to society in the most dramatic way at our disposal, the deprivation of personal liberty. Try to imagine what that is like, being taken away by the State and removed from your life and loved ones, including a partner and children if you have them. I can't even imagine.

The guy now seems to be doing all the right things, you'd think everyone would be glad for him, but...

You could also try to imagine what it is like to be dragged out of bed in the middle of the night, terrorised robbed and the **** beaten out of you by a bunch of cowardly scumbags who if they do mend their ways will educate themselves etc but will not even consider paying back their victims.

You could also try to imagine what it is like to be dragged out of bed in the middle of the night, terrorised robbed and the **** beaten out of you by a bunch of cowardly scumbags who if they do mend their ways will educate themselves etc but will not even consider paying back their victims.

Probably because most of them cannot. judges can impose an obligation to pay a sum of money to victims, but that will inevitably lead to a lower penalty of imprisonment. There is a Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/WP15000110

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Can’t undo your past, but this guy appears to have left it behind and doing the best he can

What else can he do?

I can see the point he is trying to make even if I don't agree,

I guess he is trying to say why do people say well done when the person in question is just now doing what everyone else has done there whole life, by trying to better themselves and not being involved in crime ,

You hear the same when you see fat people losing weight, People will congratulate them with well done and others will say why praise them when it was there fault to begin with ,

Basically people can be assh*les and don't realise how hard it is to turn or change yourself style when it is all you know , They can't put themselves in someone else's shoes and see the world from there view,

Its quite easy to make a wrong choices as a kid and go down the wrong road that's hard to escape not everyone was brought up the same or given the same chances in life,

Some people grow up around crime and know nothing else, in the same way some people grow up with a butler, holiday homes and get sent to private schools and think its the norm ,
    Your environment shapes you

Prison is for reform as much as punishment so well done to
    anyone who has come out the other side and bettered themselves

What else can he do?

What else can he do?
    Lets see, he now has a degree + masters so presumeably is earning very decent money. How about making some attempt to repay his victims?

I can see the point he is trying to make even if I don't agree,

I guess he is trying to say why do people say well done when the person in question is just now doing what everyone else has done there whole life, by trying to better themselves and not being involved in crime ,

You hear the same when you see fat people losing weight, People will congratulate them with well done and others will say why praise them when it was there fault to begin with ,

Basically people can be assh*les and don't realise how hard it is to turn or change yourself style when it is all you know , They can't put themselves in someone else's shoes and see the world from there view,

Its quite easy to make a wrong choices as a kid and go down the wrong road that's hard to escape not everyone was brought up the same or given the same chances in life,

Some people grow up around crime and know nothing else, in the same way some people grow up with a butler, holiday homes and get sent to private schools and think its the norm ,
    Your environment shapes you

Prison is for reform as much as punishment so well done to
    anyone who has come out the other side and bettered themselves

Yes, completely understand. I’m not a liberal in any way but there are 2 paths the guy could take

Carry on being a scumbag

Or

Move forward with his life in a positive way

I’m not even saying congratulations, I’m acknowledging the fact that he has done this and have some respect in doing so

• Advertisement

Yes, completely understand. I’m not a liberal in any way but there are 2 paths the guy could take

Carry on being a scumbag

Or

Move forward with his life in a positive way

I’m not even saying congratulations, I’m acknowledging the fact that he has done this and have some respect in doing so

Exactly

They guys said his crimes where when he was young and he as changed his life around so fair play to him ,

Obviously if he I'd have a different view or not interested in reforming himself or committed horrible crimes,

What else can he do?
    Lets see, he now has a degree + masters so presumeably is earning very decent money. How about making some attempt to repay his victims?

In theory perhaps

I doubt it though, a degree doesn’t mean high paying job, might not be working in the field of his degree

Also 20 years later, tracks down his victim here is £xxxx

Would the victim want it? Would he want to be Reminded about the guy?

Is there a victim in the sense we are assuming?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

What else can he do?

He's doing a PhD so probably not making much money at all.
    How do you know the victims weren't already compensated through insurance or whatever?
    Why do you think he should do time and continue to punish himself?

He's doing a PhD so probably not making much money at all.
    How do you know the victims weren't already compensated through insurance or whatever?
    Why do you think he should do time and continue to punish himself?

There may not have even been any victims ?
    He good have done any number of victimless crimes to end up in prison ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What about victims of horrible crimes, who have to live with the actions caused by others, for the rest of their lives. There is no day release or good behaviour remission for them.

What about victims of horrible crimes, who have to live with the actions caused by others, for the rest of their lives. There is no day release or good behaviour remission for them.

Every action has consequences, and yes, you are correct in what you say.

But those actions can't be undone, so the consequences for the victims are horrible but the perpetrator doesn't get away scot free either.

It's a two fold dilemma that leaves two different roads to be traveled by both parties involved, none of which are easy. There are no winners in these situations.

While some say "Time is a great healer", for some reason the reformed perpetrators of crime never seem to be let leave their past where it belongs, in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Also. Are you not going down the avenue with basically compensation. So if someone does a crime and has money to pay the victim/s. They instead offer cash as a way out of going to prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What else can he do?

What if his convictions were for sale or supply of drugs, who does he pay then? The cartels? Not everything is black and white. For so you know, some victims want nothing to do with perpetrators after the fact as it could open up all wounds.

You asked a question, got a very detailed and personal reply and I notice you didn't thank the poster for their effort.

What else can he do?

You seem to be caught up in my education a lot!!!

I work in the not for profit sector, i don't earn a lot, my educational endeavours, paid for at my own expense, not with Susie grants are my love for education not necessarily needed to do my job . I now work in an area where i don't receive increments, nor pensions (my choice of course). My main body of work entails providing interventions aimed at limiting the impact of those using the service have on Joe Public, so they are not out stealing from you or any others in society.

I could quite easily, like you, ask where is the financial redress for the impact that illegally being excluded from school system at 10 years of age and not having alternatives for schooling offered? This is just one small example of the types of impact that in some manner impacted on my offending as a child.

I was brought up with nothing, in an environment stuck in the most extreme social deprivation you could imagine, where people had to lie about their address to try even get an interview, crime and drug abuse was at epidemic levels, denied by governmental institutes as not a problem, 80% unemployment, intergenerational issues going back years, all placed in ghettos with no services, no hope, and an overwhelming sense of powerlessness. This is without even mentioning the traumas perpetrated behind doors and by those placed in positions of power.

I hope this can in some way contextualize the issues, not excuse or rationalise, but provide the structural, political, and socioeconomic parameters in which crime and criminality occurs in. Sadly, I was not of the variety that wears a shirt and take millions from people at the a stroke of a pen, those individuals are not classed as criminals as those that legislate for law identify with them.

Now, of course all who grow up in such environments don't commite crime, but, its not that simple. Some people engage like this as its all they know, and in some cases the only way they can survive, what's a child to do when the parents are addicts or alcoholics, and food is a scarcity?? This is the reality currently for children in Ireland, and was far more serious in the late 80's early 90'.

Going to school.and getting good grades, or even attending school is not a priority when your hungry or trying to be a parent to an adult. This is Ireland, and this is the reality for many children, the same children who commit crime, end up in prisons, and drugs. Its our hidden harm, but only hidden until it impacts on others outside of these environments.

Feck, just realised this post is in Afterhours😀😀😀😀

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You seem to be caught up in my education a lot!!!

I work in the not for profit sector, i don't earn a lot, my educational endeavours, paid for at my own expense, not with Susie grants are my love for education not necessarily needed to do my job . I now work in an area where i don't receive increments, nor pensions (my choice of course). My main body of work entails providing interventions aimed at limiting the impact of those using the service have on Joe Public, so they are not out stealing from you or any others in society.

I could quite easily, like you, ask where is the financial redress for the impact that illegally being excluded from school system at 10 years of age and not having alternatives for schooling offered? This is just one small example of the types of impact that in some manner impacted on my offending as a child.

I was brought up with nothing, in an environment stuck in the most extreme social deprivation you could imagine, where people had to lie about their address to try even get an interview, crime and drug abuse was at epidemic levels, denied by governmental institutes as not a problem, 80% unemployment, intergenerational issues going back years, all placed in ghettos with no services, no hope, and an overwhelming sense of powerlessness. This is without even mentioning the traumas perpetrated behind doors and by those placed in positions of power.

I hope this can in some way contextualize the issues, not excuse or rationalise, but provide the structural, political, and socioeconomic parameters in which crime and criminality occurs in. Sadly, I was not of the variety that wears a shirt and take millions from people at the a stroke of a pen, those individuals are not classed as criminals as those that legislate for law identify with them.

Now, of course all who grow up in such environments don't commite crime, but, its not that simple. Some people engage like this as its all they know, and in some cases the only way they can survive, what's a child to do when the parents are addicts or alcoholics, and food is a scarcity?? This is the reality currently for children in Ireland, and was far more serious in the late 80's early 90'.

Going to school.and getting good grades, or even attending school is not a priority when your hungry or trying to be a parent to an adult. This is Ireland, and this is the reality for many children, the same children who commit crime, end up in prisons, and drugs. Its our hidden harm, but only hidden until it impacts on others outside of these environments.

Feck, just realised this post is in Afterhours😀😀😀😀

Are you Frank McCourt??

Advertisement