Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements increasing by 23% on Nov 1st

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ei9go

Tesco already increased their prices.

1000mg Vitamin C 1.29 to 1.45

1000mg Omega 3 Oil 2.85 to 3.85

Wonder will they reduce them now

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

cronos wrote: »
    I'm dieting to drop some weight and doing a good bit of exercise including weights/situps etc...

Wondering if there's anything worth getting. Currently not taking anything in terms of Protein etc...

If your goal is health check this, also don't forget if your goal is aesthetics, good aesthetics will naturally come with good health :)

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Chicken is good

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

cormie wrote: »
    If your goal is health check this, also don't forget if your goal is aesthetics, good aesthetics will naturally come with good health :)

I love it!

I've been looking at the protein explosion over the last few years wondering was it just the latest rubbish trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The protein shake = muscle concept is nonsense. Marketers are putting protein on everything, including Snickers bars, to appeal to the moron demographic.

But there is nothing faddy about getting enough protein on board.

Supplements should be treated as just that: a supplement to your diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

Magnatu wrote: »
    Yeah. They buckled under the pressure.
    A shame as vitamins and supplements are a scam. Pointless and unnecessary in the vast majority of cases.

My OH and I are both on vitamin supplements recommended by consultants as complementary to the prescription medications we're on (for severe arthritis and an esophageal condition that permanently limits what can physically be swallowed and the extent to which it can be digested.) You may not need anything and more luck to you, but don't label it all as "pointless and unnecessary" when you don't know other peoples health circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,182 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Boots have 3 for 2 on vitamins at the moment, if nothing else, pick up some cheap B12 or something and let the placebo effect do its magic!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

cormie wrote: »

That chap should probably have thought through his argument a little better.

The only relevant point in there was the quantity of protein required per lb/kg of body. A meta-analysis would indicate that the absolute maximum would be 0.82 g/lb but a lot of studies indicate it's 0.64 g/lb. So his figures are a little off but at least it's in some way relevant.

Talking about Kwashiorkor and breast milk is a little bit bullsh*tty.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

tcif wrote: »
    My OH and I are both on vitamin supplements recommended by consultants as complementary to the prescription medications we're on (for severe arthritis and an esophageal condition that permanently limits what can physically be swallowed and the extent to which it can be digested.) You may not need anything and more luck to you, but don't label it all as "pointless and unnecessary" when you don't know other peoples health circumstances.
    You're the perfect example of someone going around looking to be offended. So so common nowadays.

Do you both have the esophageal condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

vargoo wrote: »
    You're the perfect example of someone going around looking to be offended. So so common nowadays.

Do you both have the esophageal condition?

You could not be further from the truth if you tried and I'm at a loss at why you're taking such an aggressive tone with my post. All I was saying was that everybody's circumstances are different and that I don't concur with someone writing anything off as pointless simply because they themselves have no need of it. I don't think advocating considering other peoples circumstances in life makes me a snowflake. If anything you're the one who seems to have taken offence here for some reason.

And while I did raise the subject of medical conditions to try to make the point my OH and I weren't just on a bender at the supplements shelf for the fun of it, I don't appreciate your attempt to further question me on who has what. None of your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Supplements are an absolute scam!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I think we will put this thread on hold till further details are announced closed to November first. The date may even be put back again.

Temporarily Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement