Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements increasing by 23% on Nov 1st

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

ImARebel wrote: »
    I disagree my friend suffers from fibromyalgia and she'd given up all hope of anything other than than serious drugs to relieve her symptoms

She started on CBD and has never looked back, she's like a new person when her doctor couldn't believe the improvement and he said to continue taking it, and he was sceptical when she approached him first and he was basically saying its your money to waste.

So to say it's got no health benefits is just plain wrong

Anyway I know ye will all lynch me for the above saying its horse ****... But it's not.
    unless it has some thc in it cbd itself is rubbish hype placebo effects at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,278 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The vast vast majority of people that take vitamins don't even need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Agreed, my 73 year old father in law was spending a fortune on vitamins as advised by his local pharmacy, he was asked to bring all his medicines into hospital before a procedure and the consultant told him he was pi55ing money away literally as your body can only absorb so much and he should spend his money on a health diet instead
    lol this reminds me times ive taken vit b supplements, youd think you had chemo when pissing orange rainbows.

correct on that body only can take certain amounts rest goes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

kneemos wrote: »
    Folic acid for pregnant women and vitamin D in the winter.
    The rest is fancy urine.

Some extra vitamin C is handy for if you sick or wounded or inflamed,
    that said you can get it from foods as well the Kiwi fruit for example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Will this affect iHerb?

• Advertisement

OmegaGene wrote: »
    It won’t affect oregano

Shut your hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Peter File

Just a few days left to beat the 23% price increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Some extra vitamin C is handy for if you sick or wounded or inflamed,
    that said you can get it from foods as well the Kiwi fruit for example

Good if your going on a long boat journey as well

Good if your going on a long boat journey as well

Lol or you could just squeeze lime juice into the grog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

kneemos wrote: »
    Folic acid for pregnant women

No! If one starts taking folic acid when they are pregnant, they miss the most of the critical period where the woman needs to be on folic acid to reduce the risk of birth defects. The medical advice is that all women, of childbearing age, should take 400 mcg daily whether planning a pregnancy or not. More here.
    ted1 wrote: »
    The following foods can help you obtain your recommended amount of folic acid:

The overwhelming number of womans diets do not contain enough folic acid through diet alone. The amount of veg that one would need to eat to get 400 mcg of folic acid per day is huge.

The reality is that supplementation is the only realistic way to get 400 mcg per day of folic acid. It is outrageous that a 23% price hike on such an important supplement, to prevent birth defects, is going to occur from Friday. Folic acid should be zero rated or exempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

men should take folic aswell, not just women

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

Its easy to say yes you can get plenty of vitamins from your diet but in reality the quality of our fruit and vegetables, fish etc is depleting. Biodiversity loss and poorer soil quality are having and will continue to have huge effects on the quality of nutrition taken from foods. In addition, most people don't hit their RDA for anything so supplementation makes sense.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214109X17301286

Anyway, not really related to bargain alerts but yes... stock up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Can anyone recommend a decent place to buy CBD oil for reasonable value ?
    I had been getting it from Holland and Barrett but its 40 odd quid for a tiny bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

I had been getting it from Holland and Barrett but its 40 odd quid for a tiny bottle.

What % is it for what size? Lab tested?

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I think the H+B CBD is piss like actual piss

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

So supplements like protein powders from bulkpowders will also increase by 23% on Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

THE VAT ON food supplements will remain unchanged until 1 November 2019, it has been confirmed.

https://www.thejournal.ie/vat-on-vitamins-and-minerals-4514444-Feb2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

I'm dieting to drop some weight and doing a good bit of exercise including weights/situps etc...

Wondering if there's anything worth getting. Currently not taking anything in terms of Protein etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

clevtrev wrote:
    THE VAT ON food supplements will remain unchanged until 1 November 2019, it has been confirmed.

Goddammit just ordered a load of stuff . I'd better not die for the next year or total waste!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

cronos wrote: »
    I'm dieting to drop some weight and doing a good bit of exercise including weights/situps etc...

Wondering if there's anything worth getting. Currently not taking anything in terms of Protein etc...

Chicken is goodðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yergrand

https://dutchnaturalhealing.com/en/cbd-oil-10-ml-p95c60.html

dutch natural healing a very good brand, very concentrated oil. you use 1-2 drops a go instead of an entire dropper so one 30 euro bottle will last you well over a month, easily

you can also purchase it from hemp company on capel st (i think that's where they are, only ever order online) https://hempcompany.ie/product/dutch-natural-healing-cbd-oil-10ml/?v=884546945267
    they buy the raw materials from dutchnaturalhealing and make their own version of it afaik, or maybe it's just a wholesaler/branding deal. exact same product either way

the only issue with this oil is that it's so concentrated you have to place the bottle in a glass/cup of hot water for a minute or two before you use it as it's almost a solid at room temp.

they also have a spray that you can just spray into your mouth like a breath freshner. it's water soluble so you dont have to hold it under your tongue but it's quite a bit more expensive. Convenient though.

there's also a more expensive oil called gold edition. This is a more concentrated version of the oil above but it's made with hemp oil as a carrier so it is liquid at room temp and doesn't need to be heated before use. I like this one but it's bloody expensive and I can rarely justify the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

seefin wrote: »
    So supplements like protein powders from bulkpowders will also increase by 23% on Friday?

Protein is already at 23%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

yergrand wrote: »

dutch natural healing a very good brand, very concentrated oil. you use 1-2 drops a go instead of an entire dropper so one 30 euro bottle will last you well over a month, easily

you can also purchase it from hemp company on capel st (i think that's where they are, only ever order online) https://hempcompany.ie/product/dutch-natural-healing-cbd-oil-10ml/?v=884546945267
    they buy the raw materials from dutchnaturalhealing and make their own version of it afaik, or maybe it's just a wholesaler/branding deal. exact same product either way

the only issue with this oil is that it's so concentrated you have to place the bottle in a glass/cup of hot water for a minute or two before you use it as it's almost a solid at room temp.

they also have a spray that you can just spray into your mouth like a breath freshner. it's water soluble so you dont have to hold it under your tongue but it's quite a bit more expensive. Convenient though.

there's also a more expensive oil called gold edition. This is a more concentrated version of the oil above but it's made with hemp oil as a carrier so it is liquid at room temp and doesn't need to be heated before use. I like this one but it's bloody expensive and I can rarely justify the cost.
    This is good info.

I bought some from hempture, grown and produced in Ireland, I think Wicklow, but it's only 3%.

I am on the lookout for some good quality/legit stuff, so will definitely look up those brands.

vargoo wrote: »
    What % is it for what size? Lab tested?

Link?

This is it here, it’s currently half price
    https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/jacob-hooy-cbd-oil-5-60018333

Usually 65 a bottle 5%
    30ml

yergrand wrote: »

Thanks so much, it’s for a close friend.
    Funny enough the H&B stuff is actually working really well but it’s expensive.
    Luckily getting it at half price sometimes.
    Currently half price at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    The vast vast majority of people that take vitamins don't even need them.

Citation needed

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

The increase has been postponed until November! Well done to all involved in the protest/petition etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

oopsies wrote: »
    The increase has been postponed until November! Well done to all involved in the protest/petition etc.

Yeah. They buckled under the pressure.
    A shame as vitamins and supplements are a scam. Pointless and unnecessary in the vast majority of cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I take cod liver oil daily but I'll stop now. I'm not paying the government 23% for a health choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement