Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Congress 2019

  • 07-02-2019 4:14pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 33,588 ✭✭✭✭ PTH2009


    Motion 11 — The Newbridge or Nowhere motion. Home venues for all senior inter-county championship games will be decided on the basis of meeting health and safety criteria and being approved by the Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC).

    Motion 14 — The Armagh/Laois/Waterford motion. Any collective senior inter-county training that involves an overnight stay from April 1 to November beyond 10 days from a game (or 17 from an All-Ireland final) is not permitted unless written permission is provided by the CCCC. Phased winter inter-county training bans now determined on an annual basis.

    Motion 16 — Individuals hit with proposed suspensions/penalties must now reply to the charges within two days instead of three.

    Motion 17 — The Donal Moloney motion. No longer would an individual be allowed a stay of execution, ie an appeal won’t delay the effect of any penalty.

    Motion 18 — The addition of a Camogie Association representative as well as one from the Ladies Gaelic Football Association to Management Committee as non-voting members.

    Motion 19 — The Liam Miller motion. Central Council to have the power, in exceptional circumstances, to make available GAA property held by provinces or counties, but not clubs, for activities other than those controlled by the Association.

    Motion 21 — Central Council to be empowered to establish a new means of deciding the victor in “winner on the day” fixtures such as the All-Ireland SFC qualifiers, the All-Ireland SHC preliminary quarter-finals and the Joe McDonagh Cup.

    Motion 22 — U20 footballers who are members of senior inter-county panels can return to play for their county’s U20 team providing the senior representatives have been knocked out of the All-Ireland SFC.

    Motion 23 - Finalised team line-ups in the senior inter-county championships to be issued to the referee 40 minutes before throw-in instead of 20. Penalties for not doing so are fines and/or a removal of sideline privileges for the manager in question.

    Motion 28 — Put forward by Central Council/the GAA’s Talent Academy and Players Development Review Committee, the separation of U17s from adult football and hurling at club level and a redefining of the juvenile age grades to U19, U17, U15 and U13. There are five other age grade-related proposals from Kildare, Kerry, Clare, Tipperary and Tyrone, some of which contradict the GAA one.

    Motion 31 — Allowed one proposal at Congress, the Gaelic Players Association called for representation on the CCCC.

    Motion 39 — Donegal propose that no team is allowed to nominate Croke Park as their home venue in the Super 8.

    Motion 40 — Kilkenny club O’Loughlin Gaels seek the All-Ireland finals be played on or before the third Sunday in September. Central Council/CCCC have an opposing motion, numbered 24, which states the finals be played on or before the 35th Sunday in the year or in the case when January 1 falls on a Sunday the 36th Sunday in the year.


«1345

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭ ArmaniJeanss


    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Motion 11 — The Newbridge or Nowhere motion. Home venues for all senior inter-county championship games will be decided on the basis of meeting health and safety criteria and being approved by the Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC).

    Motion 14 — The Armagh/Laois/Waterford motion. Any collective senior inter-county training that involves an overnight stay from April 1 to November beyond 10 days from a game (or 17 from an All-Ireland final) is not permitted unless written permission is provided by the CCCC. Phased winter inter-county training bans now determined on an annual basis.

    Motion 16 — Individuals hit with proposed suspensions/penalties must now reply to the charges within two days instead of three.

    Motion 17 — The Donal Moloney motion. No longer would an individual be allowed a stay of execution, ie an appeal won’t delay the effect of any penalty.

    Motion 18 — The addition of a Camogie Association representative as well as one from the Ladies Gaelic Football Association to Management Committee as non-voting members.

    Motion 19 — The Liam Miller motion. Central Council to have the power, in exceptional circumstances, to make available GAA property held by provinces or counties, but not clubs, for activities other than those controlled by the Association.

    Motion 21 — Central Council to be empowered to establish a new means of deciding the victor in “winner on the day” fixtures such as the All-Ireland SFC qualifiers, the All-Ireland SHC preliminary quarter-finals and the Joe McDonagh Cup.

    Motion 22 — U20 footballers who are members of senior inter-county panels can return to play for their county’s U20 team providing the senior representatives have been knocked out of the All-Ireland SFC.

    Motion 23 - Finalised team line-ups in the senior inter-county championships to be issued to the referee 40 minutes before throw-in instead of 20. Penalties for not doing so are fines and/or a removal of sideline privileges for the manager in question.

    Motion 28 — Put forward by Central Council/the GAA’s Talent Academy and Players Development Review Committee, the separation of U17s from adult football and hurling at club level and a redefining of the juvenile age grades to U19, U17, U15 and U13. There are five other age grade-related proposals from Kildare, Kerry, Clare, Tipperary and Tyrone, some of which contradict the GAA one.

    Motion 31 — Allowed one proposal at Congress, the Gaelic Players Association called for representation on the CCCC.

    Motion 39 — Donegal propose that no team is allowed to nominate Croke Park as their home venue in the Super 8.

    Motion 40 — Kilkenny club O’Loughlin Gaels seek the All-Ireland finals be played on or before the third Sunday in September. Central Council/CCCC have an opposing motion, numbered 24, which states the finals be played on or before the 35th Sunday in the year or in the case when January 1 falls on a Sunday the 36th Sunday in the year.

    This weekend. How exciting.

    Can anyway explain Number 11 to me?
    I understand it's in response to 'Newbridge or Nowhere'.

    But is the aim of it to copper-fasten that Kildare were right and to maintain the same outcome going forward?
    Or is it to ensure that no county can get so 'uppity' again and that given the same tie this year Kildare would have to play where they are told?


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭ seligehgit


    This weekend. How exciting.

    Can anyway explain Number 11 to me?
    I understand it's in response to 'Newbridge or Nowhere'.

    But is the aim of it to copper-fasten that Kildare were right and to maintain the same outcome going forward?
    Or is it to ensure that no county can get so 'uppity' again and that given the same tie this year Kildare would have to play where they are told?

    I'd imagine a bit of both.:)


    Croke Park could use the health and safety criteria in a cynical fashion to determine venues.

    TBF it's a complex issue,there will still be games where demand exceeds capacity in certain home venues and there are likely to be real live health and safety issues.Yet nobody wants to give up home advantage as we learned to our cost last year.

    When I first caught sight of motion 23 I thought it might try to address all the shadow boxing in naming teams pre games.

    That motion re Valentina club who were promoted last year is interesting.

    I believe they've only 12 or 13 adult players and are seeking under 17s to be allowed play for the senior club.A welfare issue versus the stark reality of dwindling numbers available to field teams in rural Ireland.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭ blowitupref


    This weekend. How exciting.

    Can anyway explain Number 11 to me?
    I understand it's in response to 'Newbridge or Nowhere'.

    But is the aim of it to copper-fasten that Kildare were right and to maintain the same outcome going forward?
    Or is it to ensure that no county can get so 'uppity' again and that given the same tie this year Kildare would have to play where they are told?


    That i can imagine. Last summer they couldn't use the H&S card and had no choice but to play the game in Newbridge.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog


    seligehgit wrote: »
    That motion re Valentina club who were promoted last year is interesting.

    I believe they've only 12 or 13 adult players and are seeking under 17s to be allowed play for the senior club.A welfare issue versus the stark reality of dwindling numbers available to field teams in rural Ireland.


    That motion will be opposed by CP but will have a fair bit of support I think.


    My old club played 16/17 yer olds a few times when we were stuck.

    Of course problem is that stronger teams might use it to their advantage if they have good underage players playing junior for example. Some Dublin clubs had rule that first pick was junior lads but practise was to replace them with good minors during the game.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭ Gael85


    seligehgit wrote: »
    I'd imagine a bit of both.:)


    Croke Park could use the health and safety criteria in a cynical fashion to determine venues.

    TBF it's a complex issue,there will still be games where demand exceeds capacity in certain home venues and there are likely to be real live health and safety issues.Yet nobody wants to give up home advantage as we learned to our cost last year.

    When I first caught sight of motion 23 I thought it might try to address all the shadow boxing in naming teams pre games.

    That motion re Valentina club who were promoted last year is interesting.

    I believe they've only 12 or 13 adult players and are seeking under 17s to be allowed play for the senior club.A welfare issue versus the stark reality of dwindling numbers available to field teams in rural Ireland
    .

    This rule has to be altered especially for rural clubs. My father club in Clare won a junior championship 5 years ago with 5 lads u 17. If they didn't have them lads probably wouldn't have fielded a team. 2 years ago same club had 3 u17 players who weren't allowed play adult football under new rule. This in area with no other sports. GAA have this myth about player burnout which this essentially applies to intercounty of players who play with county and third level colleges. Meanwhile club players can often be left idle for months and that includes players at juvenile level.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭ Gael85


    Is there any motions from the CPA?


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭ CatInABox


    Motions 1 to 17 were all rubber stamped.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Its laughable they have these votes every year yet the most obvious change you could add isn't even up for debate, never mind in the association for years.

    Stop the clock when players go down for injuries and any other non play related issues.
    Its a short enough game as it is and 50% is wasted on dead ball play time.

    Its absurd that wasn't the first topic voted in at the first Congress.
    You'd never have to worry about a refs discretion either or the chance he'll be lynched if he blew up at a particular time... the game clock would be the game clock and not in someone's hands to play with.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭ seligehgit


    It's mindboggling alright.
    Can't see what's the reasoning behind it.
    The clock works so well in the ladies games..


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭ blowitupref


    John Costello, Dublin GAA: On Donegal propose motion that no team is allowed to nominate Croke Park as their home venue in the Super 8.

    "I have been attending congress since I was a youth delegate in the late seventies, and I think this is the first motion I have experienced that is divisive and mean-spirited.

    Is this man for real?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭ blowitupref


    Motion 39 is defeated after a No vote of 64%

    The county reps that voted against that motion knew which side their bread is buttered on..


  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Clareman


    County grounds opened up to other sports, great decision. 4 conditions
    1) Only applies to county grounds
    2) Application must be made by national governing body of sport in question
    3) It should be an event of national significance
    4) It must in furtherance of GAA aims

    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-opens-county-grounds-to-other-sports-1.3803439

    Should be interesting to see how many applications are made


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog


    Motion 39 is defeated after a No vote of 64%

    The county reps that voted against that motion knew which side their bread is buttered on..


    As said before, for all the complaints, any time Dublin being taken out of CP is put to a vote it is overwhelmingly defeated.

    Would like to see Costello's remarks in overall context, and I personally would favour Dublin being able to choose CP as a home venue for 8s but in turn that they would not have the designated "Croke Park" game there if that was wish of opponent.

    Donegal motion was badly worded as I said a good while ago.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,661 ✭✭✭✭ OldMrBrennan83


    I've just seen a mushroom cloud over Portlaoise.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,661 ✭✭✭✭ OldMrBrennan83


    Clareman wrote: »
    County grounds opened up to other sports, great decision. 4 conditions
    1) Only applies to county grounds
    2) Application must be made by national governing body of sport in question
    3) It should be an event of national significance
    4) It must in furtherance of GAA aims

    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-opens-county-grounds-to-other-sports-1.3803439

    Should be interesting to see how many applications are made

    Good result there. I'd never let another sport through the gates but it was always coming in so it's good to see strict conditions around it.


  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Clareman


    Good result there. I'd never let another sport through the gates but it was always coming in so it's good to see strict conditions around it.

    County grounds are woefully under utilized so no harm making them available but I can't see other sports wanting to pay rent to the GAA when they have their own ground, I'd say they'd prefer a sold out rather than a move, for example Ireland v England in the 6N could have sold out Croke Park no problem but the IRFU was never going to ask for it. The 1 ground I can see being used though is Galway by Connacht Rugby but they have their plans to do up the greyhound stadium so that mightn't happen either.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    The Donegal vote just goes to show there's a disconnect between the hierarchy and the life blood of the association; players and supporters.

    There isn't a hope in hell that any fan/player vote would agree with keeping the 5 in a row chasing, dominant to a negative degree(on the sport) team in an advantageous position.

    I think the long term goal has to be a GPA led strike to put the focus back onto the sport itself and not the aspects the suits have attributed to.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog


    Congress is made up of delegates who have been elected through county conventions and mandated as to how to vote.

    Would you prefer they ask the people who turn up for finals maybe?

    Anyway, I and others in Dublin agree with only having one CP game but Donegal motion was badly framed. but no idea of what debate was like or what Costello was referring to, so won't say anything about that.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Congress is made up of delegates who have been elected through county conventions and mandated as to how to vote.

    Would you prefer they ask the people who turn up for finals maybe?

    Anyway, I and others in Dublin agree with only having one CP game but Donegal motion was badly framed. but no idea of what debate was like or what Costello was referring to, so won't say anything about that.

    The fact that a vote for transparency in how delegates were voting was obliterated tells enough about the mandating.

    They can vote whatever way they feel like regardless of the mandate.

    Secondly the votes aren't taken in the interests of fairness.
    Id say they is no vote on the clock so they can manufacture draws.

    They won't restructure the championships as it means giving up power.

    If the decisions being made aren't in the interests of the games then the process is wrong IMO.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,661 ✭✭✭✭ OldMrBrennan83


    I'd love to see a strike and a massive shake up at this stage. The whole setup is antiquated.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 Dots1982


    The Donegal motion was fairly pointless in that all it proposed was moving a game from croker to Parnell. However the motion’s defeat will further mobilize opposition to Dublin’s advantages so it will have an impact in a roundabout way.


  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭ dog_pig


    Former GAA president Sean Kelly:
    This is a very negative motion and deserves a negative response. Anyone who wants to beat the Dubs should aspire to do so in Croke Park. That's certainly what we aspire to do in Kerry as we bid to stop the 'Drive for Five',"

    ???


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    The Donegal motion was fairly pointless in that all it proposed was moving a game from croker to Parnell. However the motion’s defeat will further mobilize opposition to Dublin’s advantages so it will have an impact in a roundabout way.


    Sounds like it was drafted in the pub after a few pints.

    Why didn't they propose that CP only be used by any county for one game in 8s, or words to that effect?

    A motion that would have allowed Dublin to pick CP if it wished as home game but not be allowed use it for another game in the group.

    As you say all it would have done was for us to have one game in Parnell and then the Croke Park game in CP.

    Not exactly Plato and Aristotle who look after such matters in Donegal, although I suspect they had another plan which would have stopped Dublin having any games in either Croke Park OR Parnell.

    "When first we practise to deceive …" and so on :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,958 Dots1982


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Sounds like it was drafted in the pub after a few pints.

    Why didn't they propose that CP only be used by any county for one game in 8s, or words to that effect?

    A motion that would have allowed Dublin to pick CP if it wished as home game but not be allowed use it for another game in the group.

    As you say all it would have done was for us to have one game in Parnell and then the Croke Park game in CP.

    Not exactly Plato and Aristotle who look after such matters in Donegal, although I suspect they had another plan which would have stopped Dublin having any games in either Croke Park OR Parnell.

    "When first we practise to deceive …" and so on :)

    However the fact this was voted down is not a good result for Dublin GAA as this is going to shine a spotlight on Dublin’s advantages and the GAA’s willingness to accommodate and even foster them.

    The rule itself was of little value but public pressure is going to mount seriously on the GAA now since it was voted down.

    This is not a good day or result for Dublin GAA.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭ Brian017


    dog_pig wrote: »
    Former GAA president Sean Kelly:



    ???

    If I was in a team that knocked out the AI Champions and favourites I wouldn’t care less if it was in Croke Park or in front of a man or a dog in his back garden tbh


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭ RMAOK


    Any word on motion 40? The O'Loughlin gaels motion to move the date for the all-ireland finals back to September.


  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ grbear


    So is there anything to stop every team that makes the Super 8s nominating Croke Park as their home venue? That could be fun to see.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog


    Dots1982 wrote: »
    This is not a good day or result for Dublin GAA.


    It is not of CLG Áth Cliath's making.

    People need to be reminded of that. Seen it for years in Leinster council with all the go by the wall sleeveen antics of county delegates acting the big man at home about "the jackeens" and then voting in Portlaoise to keep Dublin footballers in Croke Park.

    If people want not to have Dublin having two group games in CP - which I think is fair - then they should frame a proper motion to that effect.

    Do agree also that there should be a recorded vote on contentious motions to stop the sort of thing I refer to above, if that is what is happening.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭ Brian017


    RMAOK wrote: »
    Any word on motion 40? The O'Loughlin gaels motion to move the date for the all-ireland finals back to September.

    I read it’s unlikely to get the required support since moving them to August got such a massive support only 2 years ago. I’d like them to be moved back though, but that’s just me


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭ RMAOK


    Brian017 wrote: »
    I read it’s unlikely to get the required support since moving them to August got such a massive support only 2 years ago. I’d like them to be moved back though, but that’s just me

    I'd be of the same opinion - September is the time for the all-ireland final. Has been for years - August felt too early and the build up didn't seem the same imo.


Advertisement