Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

Faugheen wrote: »
    Dillane was ahead of Roux in the initial squad as well.

Yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Dillane was ahead of Roux in the initial squad as well.

But this assumes Dillane and Roux are competing with each other.

What if Joe said, I have two proven, international tighthead locks in Toner and Henderson, so I don't need Roux, but I only have one proven loosehead lock in Ryan, so I'll call up both Beirne and Dillane to see how they go?

There was no way Roux was getting ahead of a fit Toner or Hendo, but a fit Dillane might actually be better than a fit Beirne.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Perifect wrote: »
    Yes?

Just pointing out there's a flaw to your theory that Joe rates Beirne more than Roux because Beirne was in the initial squad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Which is the equivalent assumption Perifect is making by saying Beirne is ahead of Roux.

What if Joe said, I have two proven, international tighthead locks in Toner and Henderson, so I don't need Roux, but I only have one proven loosehead lock in Ryan, so I'll call up both Beirne and Dillane to see how they go?

There was no way Roux was getting ahead of a fit Toner or Hendo, but a fit Dillane might actually be better than a fit Beirne.

Did you not read the post I quoted?

• Advertisement

Just pointing out there's a flaw to your theory that Joe rates Beirne more than Roux because Beirne was in the initial squad.

There's no flaw. Beirne was picked ahead of Roux because Joe considers him higher up the pecking order.

There's no flaw. Beirne was picked ahead of Roux because Joe considers him higher up the pecking order.

Dillane was picked ahead of Roux also. Yet started on the bench behind him on Saturday. There's your flaw.

Ok.

You just ignore everything that's been said to you and go with your own assumptions despite the fact they are all deeply flawed.

aloooof wrote: »
    Which is the equivalent assumption Perifect is making by saying Beirne is ahead of Roux.

Beirne was selected ahead of Roux, he was next in line behind Toner and Henderson!

Dillane was picked ahead of Roux also. Yet started on the bench behind him on Saturday. There's your flaw.

How can you not remember that Beirne calls the line outs for Munster? It was literally on the last page!

• Advertisement

How can you not remember that Beirne calls the line outs for Munster? It was literally on the last page!

And when both Beirne and Roux were on the pitch at the same time in the same jersey, Roux called them.

Beirne was selected ahead of Roux, he was next in line behind Toner and Henderson!

Beirne was selected ahead of Roux
    Dillane was selected ahead of Roux.
    Roux started ahead of Dillane on Saturday.

The above are factually accurate. The last bit of your post you're just asserting yourself, without any idea if it's true or not.

Ok.

You just ignore everything that's been said to you and go with your own assumptions despite the fact they are all deeply flawed.

They're not flawed at all! Roux wasn't even in the original squad, Beirne was there as the third in line if Toney and Henderson were out.

And when both Beirne and Roux were on the pitch at the same time in the same jersey, Roux called them.

It would have been Beirne and Ryan starting, Roux wouldn't have replaced Ryan so I don't know what point you're trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Has anyone considered this instead?

GreatDisgustingAmericancrow-size_restricted.gif

Beirne was selected ahead of Roux
    Dillane was selected ahead of Roux.
    Roux started ahead of Dillane on Saturday.

The above are factually accurate. The last bit of your post you're just asserting yourself, without any idea if it's true or not.

3 callers were selected, Toner, Henderson and Beirne! You can't just ignore that. Roux wasn't selected.

b.gud wrote: »
    Has anyone considered this instead?

GreatDisgustingAmericancrow-size_restricted.gif

:D Yes, I have. They just can't face reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Can we maybe name the thread 'Ireland's Call?' (with a baffled emoji)…?

This might've been lost amid the last few pages. Anyone?
    In the interest of moving things along, is Jack McGrath still injured? And is there an argument that Killer is now playing himself into the position of 2nd choice Loosehead?

My thinking is if all are fit, Kilcoyne may start on the bench, but if Healy gets injured, McGrath would likely start?

Did you not read the post I quoted?

Yes, I did.

I was trying to post a different angle on this interminable debate.

What if saying 'Dillane was ahead of Roux' was like saying 'Cooney was ahead of Ross Byrne'?

I have no idea btw, but if Dillane was ahead of Roux in all circumstances, he'd have benched last week and started this week. He didn't, so there has to be more to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

let's leave the Quinn Roux/second row depth chat there for now

So can we please move on

Yes, I did.

I was trying to post a different angle on this interminable debate.

What if saying 'Dillane was ahead of Roux' was like saying 'Cooney was ahead of Ross Byrne'?

I have no idea btw, but if Dillane was ahead of Roux in all circumstances, he'd have benched last week and started this week.

The point I was making is that Beirne being in the squad ahead of Roux means shag all because Dillane was also selected and still benched behind him at the weekend.

You’re honestly quoting my post and making the same point to me that I was making.

EDIT: Just seen mod warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

This might've been lost amid the last few pages. Anyone?
    In the interest of moving things along, is Jack McGrath still injured? And is there an argument that Killer is now playing himself into the position of 2nd choice Loosehead?

My thinking is if all are fit, Kilcoyne may start on the bench, but if Healy gets injured, McGrath would likely start?

It's not entirely clear what the craic is. He was clearly unfit against Ulster which is why he was dropped for Toulouse. Then he went fine against Wasps and we haven't seen him since.

I find it hard to believe it's entirely on form but Kilcoyne is a great impact sub, similar to Cronin. Great ball carrier whereas McGrath seems to be more reliably nuts and bolts.

I'm surprised as well he hasn't featured.

troyzer wrote: »
    It's not entirely clear what the craic is. He was clearly unfit against Ulster which is why he was dropped for Toulouse. Then he went fine against Wasps and we haven't seen him since.

I find it hard to believe it's entirely on form but Kilcoyne is a great impact sub, similar to Cronin. Great ball carrier whereas McGrath seems to be more reliably nuts and bolts.

I'm surprised as well he hasn't featured.

Just posted on the Leinster thread that McGrath is back at Leinster but doesn't seem to be training, per the photos anyway.

He hasn't been fit for a while but we're lucky that Kilcoyne did a great job on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Beirne made his first start in November for Ireland! If he wasn't injured now he would have started ahead of Roux

So who would have called the lineout on Saturday then? Ryan has never called them and Beirne has all of a handful of caps for Ireland where HE HAS NEVER called the lineout.
    Maybe Kearney could call it or Furlong.

Edit...Just saw Mod Warning. Apologies.

mfceiling wrote: »
    So who would have called the lineout on Saturday then? Ryan has never called them and Beirne has all of a handful of caps for Ireland where HE HAS NEVER called the lineout.
    Maybe Kearney could call it or Furlong.

Beirne would have called but we're not allowed to discuss it. We shall find out in a few weeks hopefully. I'll be back then to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Killer has done very well for a man who hadn't played in the Six Nations for six years or something like that. Great impact sub to have with him and Cronin coming on at the same time. I'd agree with Aloooof - if Healy is out you'd think Jack McGrath is the one to go from the start - he's suffered a bit of a drop in form though, not hitting his pre-Lions heights. I recall him putting in insane amount of tackles for a fattie, doesn't seem to be posting those kinds of numbers any more - wonder is it a general fitness thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

French media reporting on players comments about not knowing where they were to go when coming on. Talk of senior players taking over from Brunel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    French media reporting on players comments about not knowing where they were to go when coming on. Talk of senior players taking over from Brunel.

Isn't that what happened in 2011?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Wow, France are in turmoil.
    Brunel won't make it to round 3!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement