Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

Zzippy wrote: »
    Roux isn't first choice. We do have 15 players who are all better at their job than Roux is at his. That's why he's not first choice. You expect a 3rd choice lock to be at the same level as first choice players. That's just silly.

Edit: Silly is the most polite word I can think of.

No, you've missed my point entirely! Roux came in and did fine. That's the level he's at. We need better than fine though, that's why I think other players like Best could be in trouble.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Perifect wrote: »
    No, you've missed my point entirely! Roux came in and did fine. That's the level he's at. We need better than fine though, that's why I think other players like Best could be in trouble.

We manifestly don't, for our 4th/5th choice lock. I've given you the example of NZ winning a World Cup with Steven Donald at 10.

aloooof wrote: »
    Steven Donald was 3rd choice. So, following your point to it's conclusion, when have we ever had our 15 first choice players, and their 15 back-ups injured simultaneously? Never, is the obvious answer.

We have world class players. And we have able back-ups. Roux is in the latter category. What you're calling for is a depth chart that no team in world sport has.

I'm not calling for that at all!

We manifestly don't, for our 4th/5th choice lock. I've given you the example of NZ winning a World Cup with Steven Donald at 10.

I've shown you that they didn't have 15 Donald standard players!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,249 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No, you've missed my point entirely! Roux came in and did fine. That's the level he's at. We need better than fine though, .

so who do you think is better than "fine" outside of Toner, Henderson, roux, Beirne, Ryan and Dillane ???

• Advertisement

I've shown you that they didn't have 15 Donald standard players!

Precisely. And we don't either!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    so who do you think is better than "fine" outside of Toner, Henderson, roux, Beirne, Ryan and Dillane ???

No one. :confused:

Precisely. And we don't either!

That's what is questionable!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Steven Donald was 3rd choice.

4th! Somewhere, Jack Carty and Ross Byrne are still dreaming of winning the RWC.

That's what is questionable!

You think our starting 15 are questionable enough that they may be at the same level as Steven Donald?

It's at this point, I jump ship as it's making absolute sh*t of the thread...

• Advertisement

You think our starting 15 are questionable enough that they may be at the same level as Steven Donald?

It's at this point, I jump ship as it's making absolute sh*t of the thread...

No, I'm saying we may have players who are at that level, not the entire 15!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I've never had this conversation with you and I don't really care what you're interested in. Beirne is ahead of Roux!

If Henderson and Toner are injured, then he’s not.

He’s not in competition with Roux to start or Ireland, he’s in competition with James Ryan.

Will you read posts before responding to them?

Faugheen wrote: »
    If Henderson and Toner are injured, then he’s not.

He’s not in competition with Roux to start or Ireland, he’s in competition with James Ryan.

Will you read posts before responding to them?

No, he's ahead of Roux no matter what! It's because he adds so much more. Which is my point, fine won't cut it!

No, he's ahead of Roux no matter what! It's because he adds so much more. Which is my point, fine won't cut it!

Roux calls line outs for Ireland. Beirne doesn’t. Therefore, Beirne won’t start ahead of Roux.

I couldn’t give a ****e what Beirne offers because until he starts calling lineouts for Ireland then the won’t start ahead of Roux in this situation, unless it’s for James Ryan.

You don’t start 2 non-callers, you start one of each. Since Roux called them against Italy when both he and Beirne were both playing, and he also led the lineout against Scotland, he’s the next in line.

If you’re missing your first two lineout callers then you play your third lineout caller, which is Quinn Roux. I know you may not like that fact, but it is a fact.

Roux calls line outs for Ireland. Beirne doesn’t. Therefore, Beirne won’t start ahead of Roux.

I couldn’t give a ****e what Beirne offers because until he starts calling lineouts for Ireland then the won’t start ahead of Roux in this situation, unless it’s for James Ryan.

You don’t start 2 non-callers, you start one of each. Since Roux called them against Italy when both he and Beirne were both playing, and he also led the lineout against Scotland, he’s the next in line.

If you’re missing your first two lineout callers then you play your third lineout caller, which is Quinn Roux. I know you may not like that fact, but it is a fact.

Beirne is a caller, you've been told this. He's also a far superior player to Roux. If he's back you start him and you give him experience calling for Ireland. You do this because you want a Beirne standard of player playing at the World cup and not a Roux standard of player.

Beirne is a caller, you've been told this. He's also a far superior player to Roux. If he's back you start him and you give him experience calling for Ireland. You do this because you want a Beirne standard of player playing at the World cup and not a Roux standard of player.

He's not a caller for Ireland. You have been told this.

He could have got experience calling line outs vs Italy and USA in the Autumn, but Joe decided to go with Roux and Henderson.

You said Beirne plays ahead of Roux 'no matter what' and you're wrong. Simple as that. There's really no need to get upset about it.

And the 'Roux standard of player' has always been up for the task when playing for Ireland. I want my locks calling lineouts and hitting rucks. They can dance around all they like but if they don't do your bread and butter then they're almost pointless.

Beirne doesn't call enough lineouts and unless he's stealing ball then he's almost worthless around the breakdown.

He's not a caller for Ireland. You have been told this.

He could have got experience calling line outs vs Italy and USA in the Autumn, but Joe decided to go with Roux and Henderson.

You said Beirne plays ahead of Roux 'no matter what' and you're wrong. Simple as that. There's really no need to get upset about it.

And the 'Roux standard of player' has always been up for the task when playing for Ireland. I want my locks calling lineouts and hitting rucks. They can dance around all they like but if they don't do your bread and butter then they're almost pointless.

Beirne doesn't call enough lineouts and unless he's stealing ball then he's almost worthless around the breakdown.

:D This is me smiling!

Beirne is a caller, I know this is news to you but you learn something new every day they say. He also made his first start in November. Since then he has been outstanding for Munster and has pushed himself far ahead of Roux.

If the only choice left is between Beirne and Roux, you pick Beirne and let him call the lineout. Simple.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Beirne is a great prospect, but he has very little experience calling lineouts. He does some flashy stuff like turnovers and scoring tries, but he also tends to go out of games for periods too. He certainly doesn't show the consistent workrate of Toner, Ryan or Roux. He's also a bit underpowered in the scrum. I guess if Toner is out and Beirne comes back, we'll see who Joe picks, but the smart money is on Roux at this point in time.

Beirne is a great prospect, but he has very little experience calling lineouts. He does some flashy stuff like turnovers and scoring tries, but he also tends to go out of games for periods too. He certainly doesn't show the consistent workrate of Toner, Ryan or Roux. He's also a bit underpowered in the scrum. I guess if Toner is out and Beirne comes back, we'll see who Joe picks, but the smart money is on Roux at this point in time.

I guess we'll find out then. In my book, Roux is not in the same league as the front 4 locks.

:D This is me smiling!

Beirne is a caller, I know this is news to you but you learn something new every day they say. He also made his first start in November. Since then he has been outstanding for Munster and has pushed himself far ahead of Roux.

If the only choice left is between Beirne and Roux, you pick Beirne and let him call the lineout. Simple.

He’s not a caller for Ireland. Jesus Christ. Just because he calls them for Munster sometimes doesn’t mean he’s instantly one for Ireland.

He had a chance in Autumn to get some line out calling experience. Joe decided not to.

You can keep telling me all you want that he’s a line out caller but until he calls them for Ireland, Beirne takes a back seat unless Ryan get hurt as well.

I’m honestly done here. Just sheer ignorance and absolutely no basis for the points being made and it’s just going around in circles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I guess we'll find out then. In my book, Roux is not in the same league as the front 4 locks.

Yes. If you ignore facts. And stats. And recent history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yes, this many times over.

I posted in the lead up to the game that Roux was unproven at full-on test level. He did a solid job against Scotland, and while it's still a step up to the NZ, England, SA of the world, he's earned the right to stay in the conversation.

Beirne on the other hand? One start against Italy A, one start against USA and 20 minutes (at blindside) over two tests against Australia doesn't tell us much about his top-tier credentials. On an international evidence level, he's probably behind Roux. As you say, he might be underpowered.

Interesting times ahead.

He’s not a caller for Ireland. Jesus Christ. Just because he calls them for Munster sometimes doesn’t mean he’s instantly one for Ireland.

He had a chance in Autumn to get some line out calling experience. Joe decided not to.

You can keep telling me all you want that he’s a line out caller but until he calls them for Ireland, Beirne takes a back seat unless Ryan get hurt as well.

I’m honestly done here. Just sheer ignorance and absolutely no basis for the points being made and it’s just going around in circles.

No need to get so upset about it. :D

Beirne made his first start in November for Ireland! If he wasn't injured now he would have started ahead of Roux in my opinion, we might find out for certain later in the tournament. He's a far superior player.

Yes. If you ignore facts. And stats. And recent history.

Again, Beirne only made his first start a few months ago and now he's injured. In the meantime, Beirne moved closer to challenging for a starting place than challenging Roux for a squad place.

In the meantime, Beirne moved closer to challenging for a starting place than challenging Roux for a squad place.

What's your evidence that this is what Joe thinks?

Again, Beirne only made his first start a few months ago and now he's injured. In the meantime, Beirne moved closer to challenging for a starting place than challenging Roux for a squad place.

I know I said I was done, but Beirne isn’t getting anywhere near the team unless Ryan gets injured especially when Dev and Henderson are back.

What's your evidence that this is what Joe thinks?

Am, Beirne was picked in the original squad, Roux is only there because of all the injuries.

I know I said I was done, but Beirne isn’t getting anywhere near the team unless Ryan gets injured especially when Dev and Henderson are back.

He'll be ahead of Roux though for sure!

In the interest of moving things along, is Jack McGrath still injured? And is there an argument that Killer is now playing himself into the position of 2nd choice Loosehead?

My thinking is if all are fit, Kilcoyne may start on the bench, but if Healy gets injured, McGrath would likely start?

• Advertisement

Am, Beirne was picked in the original squad, Roux is only there because of all the injuries.

Dillane was ahead of Roux in the initial squad as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement