Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord at house every week....

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

....... wrote: »
    Why are you becoming personal?

You have a problem with your LL. I am asking you what the problem is.

Nothing you have posted clarifies what the issue is except that you dont like him in your garden.

You may not like him in your garden but it sounds like you havent rented the entire property - if there is a garage you dont have access to.

If your attitude towards him is anything like your attitude on this thread then perhaps it is YOU who is the problem eh?

What is personal in asking you are you trolling when thats what it looks like?
    If you cant read what the issue is then you clearly lack basic intelligence.
    We rent the garden he spends whole days of each weekend in.
    If you dont find that kind of thing excessive from a landlord, lucky you.
    Happy to discuss offline with you if you have an issue with my attitude.

You can report him to PRTB.

I have no great desire to do that, hes an adult and if we wants to break the law thats his choice. We need a home and insisting on him registering may have cost us that, so we dont have great bargaining power, if you cant understand that in this market i give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

terrydel wrote: »
    What is personal in asking you are you trolling when thats what it looks like?
    If you cant read what the issue is then you clearly lack basic intelligence.
    We rent the garden he spends whole days of each weekend in.
    If you dont find that kind of thing excessive from a landlord, lucky you.

Ive zero interest in a pm exchange with someone like you tbh.

Ill leave you to it as yet again you are unable to articulate what the actual issue is, you dont like him in your garden, but you cannot seem to say why.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This sort of suggestion is not acceptable due to the threatening undertone to it

You have one choice in this situation - RTB. If you don't want to do that, that's your decision but there are no other solutions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I have no great desire to do that, hes an adult and if we wants to break the law thats his choice. We need a home and insisting on him registering may have cost us that, so we dont have great bargaining power, if you cant understand that in this market i give up.

If you are afraid to rock the boat in that sense then your only option is to have a friendly chat with him and ask if he'd mind planning his visits more to get a few things done at once rather than coming around once a week. You'll probably find out a lot from his reaction to this. Maybe he is trying to escape a home situation by spending as much time out of it as possible (do you know why he's planning to move into the house you rent when your lease is up?)

Sorry I don't have any more advice for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The filtration system is in the garage which he will not give us access to. Its an external garage.
    He claims it needs salt once per month, but its often gone 2 or 3 months without it with no issues (hes called up for different reasons in that period - collecting the mail or taking something from the garage mainly). I personally think the filtration system is a convenient excuse for regular visits, hence him not allowing us to manage it.

I've told him no on numerous occasions and told him his notice the night before just isnt acceptable.
    He recently planted hedging out the back, and this took a full day of a weekend for 4 full weekends.

We had one like that once. When we locked the gates he blew steam and when we told him why we checked he had registered the tenancy and he hadn't so prtb "pursued" him

He had land on a slope behind the house and would pace past the kitchen window every day, back and forth these legs! Any excuse. So I closed the curtains

I left. I would do better these days though.

It was the house he grew up in and he could not let go.

Im not happy, but I cannot put a gun to his head and make him register can I?

You can report him. He is breaking the law. RTB will do the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

But you do have the place to yourselves? He is outside, planting hedges or painting fences? He isnt in the house with you?

Would you look after the maintenance of the garden/perimeter/hedges if he stopped coming?

Would you mind if he sent someone else to do the work? Is it just that its him or that someone is maintaining the grounds?

I genuinely dont see what being in work for the week has to do with it - lots of people work weekends and wouldnt even notice their LL planting hedges of a Saturday.

I actually think you are being obtuse, just for the sake of it.

Your personal experiences have no bearing on what the OP is going through, so what's sauce for you, may not be sauce for the OP.

If it bothers the OP that the landlord is around every weekend, that's their issue. I don't think it could be simpler than that.

OP, my suggestion is that you inform the landlord that you are not happy with his constant visits to the dwelling. Assert your rights to privacy, and a reasonable period of notice, when he NEEDS to visit. You do not have to explain your reasons why you want this. Do this in writing. I'd also add a note that if he continues to invade your privacy you will contact the RTB and open a dispute.

Why are you becoming personal?

You have a problem with your LL. I am asking you what the problem is.

Nothing you have posted clarifies what the issue is except that you dont like him in your garden.

You may not like him in your garden but it sounds like you havent rented the entire property - if there is a garage you dont have access to.

If your attitude towards him is anything like your attitude on this thread then perhaps it is YOU who is the problem eh?

It is an invasion of privacy. It really is. Inexcusable. At weekends you should; be able to relax in peace and quiet not having work going on right outside the windows .... His exaggerated and invasive behaviour is ruining privacy and peaceful enjoyment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

Maybe he's hiding something in the garage? Like a grow house or something or a human.

On a more serious note Have to agree with OP. Landlord arriving at any time and been around the property would drive me absolutely insane. Its an invasion of privacy. Summer months when you want to sit out would make it 10 times worse.

I'd politely say to be him that your coming around a bit too much and if you feel the need report it. Landlords like that are never going to change so maybe start looking at a new place.

And to ...... There's a big difference to someone working in a communal area in apartments than someone walking around your property knocking on your door taking control of your own personal garden and space which you do not get with apartments

• Advertisement

Ill leave you to it as yet again you are unable to articulate what the actual issue is, you dont like him in your garden, but you cannot seem to say why.

And I've no time for pathetic trolls like yourself.
    It is abundantly clear what my issue is, if you cannot ascertain that then you are beyond my help.

Cant seem to say why?
    You really, really are a troll or just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Rules may have changed but if you are there less than 6 months can he ask you to leave with no reason given. Do you want to pick a fight over this.
    Tell him you are a private person, you have a stressful job and you just want some peace and quite at the weekend, ask him to call around less often, suggest no more than every two weeks. Get him to put a letter box on the garage door and you'll pop the post in.

Don't bring up the RTB at this stage see how it goes. If you go all guns blazing he may just say move out! Right now you have rented part of the property, he has the garage so he can technically do what he want with it. However you may want to ask him is he using electricity ?

Rules may have changed but if you are there less than 6 months can he ask you to leave with no reason given. Do you want to pick a fight over this.
    Tell him you are a private person, you have a stressful job and you just want some peace and quite at the weekend, ask him to call around less often, suggest no more than every two weeks. Get him to put a letter box on the garage door and you'll pop the post in.

Don't bring up the RTB at this stage see how it goes. If you go all guns blazing he may just say move out! Right now you have rented part of the property, he has the garage so he can technically do what he want with it. However you may want to ask him is he using electricity ?

We are over 18 months there now. Maybe I'm naive and judging people by my own standards, but I really dont feel i should need to explain or justify why I dont want him there for prolonged periods every week.
    There is a letter box outside the front gate and I've suggested he collects his mail from there.
    I really dont want to mention the rtb as its not my goal to have a dispute, but if someone is blatantly walking on us and our privacy, eventually I will have no option.
    As I said, hes been to the house over 20 times in the last four or so months. That is madness imho.
    He was asked a number of times in the last few weeks if we are actively looking to find a house to buy (he knows full well we are because we all know the contract is up in September and hes made it clear he is moving back in). In my opinion he is clearly trying to unsettle us, whether consciously or subconsciously.
    We dont feel we can relax with our landlord out the back garden (often with his father in tow) and able to see into the kitchen and into the living room as he walks past, it staggers me I have to actually explain that to any reasonable minded person (not you, but some other posters in this thread). I've been a landlord over 10 years and I know the score. I know how to treat tenants with respect. I know when I'm not being respected. I and my partner are model tenants, in fact when he called our previous landlord for a reference, he joked that she was my sister, given how good the reference was.
    It was his choice to not register with the prtb, I told him to do it, but we needed somewhere to live and choice was very low, so we could not force him.
    Going to the prtb is the last straw and I dont wish to do it, but if he keeps turning up every weekend, by the end of this month that will be the action I will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Has he actually issued you with an eviction notice for September, stating that he is moving back into the property? Just because your contract is up then doesn't mean he can turf you out without sending you an official notification.

Treviso wrote: »
    Has he actually issued you with an eviction notice for September, stating that he is moving back into the property? Just because your contract is up then doesn't mean he can turf you out without sending you an official notification.

Nope he hasn't. He's no Einstein so I doubt he knows what's required.

I'm perfectly aware of the requirements, however I'd be happy to be out by September and we are working towards that, trying to buy somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

In that case, you've nothing to lose by bringing this up with him. Totally sympathise with your situation as I wouldn't be able to relax in the house either, knowing that the landlord could arrive at any time. By saying it to him, whats the worse that can happen?

He's lucky to have a tenant like you, that is looking forward to leaving. Imagine if he encountered a tenant that didnt pay the rent and dig their heels in when being evicted!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I genuinely dont see what being in work for the week has to do with it - lots of people work weekends and wouldnt even notice their LL planting hedges of a Saturday.
    The landlord enters the garage on a near weekly basis, and then enters the house to collect his mail.

OP; is the garage joined to the house by a door? Put something big and unmovable in front of said door.
    Only if not on a fixed term lease.
    We are over 18 months there now.
    he knows full well we are because we all know the contract is up in September and hes made it clear he is moving back in
    Nope he hasn't. He's no Einstein so I doubt he knows what's required.

I'm perfectly aware of the requirements, however I'd be happy to be out by September and we are working towards that, trying to buy somewhere.
    If he wants to play silly games, play silly games.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html
    If you have been renting for at least 6 months and haven't been served with a valid written notice of termination, in general you automatically acquire security of tenure and can stay in the property for a number of years.

If your tenancy started after 24 December 2016, this period is 6 years

This security of tenure continues in 6-year (formerly 4-year) cycles.

So, after the first 6 months, your tenancy becomes what is known as a Part 4 tenancy
    However, I wonder if the LL keeps access to the garage to circumvent this rule, as you aren't renting the full house, only part of it. Someone else may be able to correct me on this.

the_syco wrote: »
    The landlord enters the garage on a near weekly basis, and then enters the house to collect his mail.

OP; is the garage joined to the house by a door? Put something big and unmovable in front of said door.

Only if not on a fixed term lease.

If he wants to play silly games, play silly games.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html

However, I wonder if the LL keeps access to the garage to circumvent this rule, as you aren't renting the full house, only part of it. Someone else may be able to correct me on this.

The garage is separate to the house, they are not connected.
    To be clear, I've no problem with him accessing it, I would have liked to have use of it for my motorbike but he wouldnt agree to that. What I've issue with it is him using it as an excuse to drop up once per week, to get something from it, collect mail, spend a whole day of a weekend out the back garden (this has happened 5 times since Christmas). I think thats excessive and unfair on us.
    One occasion he told me the night before and I told him that simply isnt on, and got a sob story about him arranging to do it with his son and his son looking forward to it etc etc. He routinely has this feel sorry for himself stuff to throw back. As said before, he is extremely passive aggressive in my view, in fact I've never met someone so bad in that regard.
    And I wouldnt credit him with the intelligence to be doing anything to circumvent any rule, he hasnt a clue quite honestly. This is his first time renting, and as a long time landlord myself, I had to tell him what to do when we were agreeing the initial lease. He really didnt have a clue. I told him then to register with the prtb but it become clear very quickly he had no intention, and we needed a place so had to acquiesce.
    But it staggers me that anyone feels I'm being unreasonable in suggesting that weekly visits from a landlord (for whatever reason), many of them lasting for 8-9 hours +, is excessive and out of order.
    Have things really got that bad where a tenant cant even expect to have the place to themselves at weekends the majority of time?
    Its depressing to me if what I'm suggesting here is considered unreasonable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I don't see how a disconnected garage could make this a licencee setup. Actually I don't even see how a connected garage that didn't happen to contain a legally habitable bedroom could either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Aside from the problem of him accessing the property whenever he feels like it, which is totally unacceptable, can you do the rest of us a favour and report him for not being registered as a landlord (if you are positive that he is not registered). Here is the link Registration Enforcement Referral Form What are the chances he is not declaring the income to revenue as well...? Anyway best of luck OP

Aside from the problem of him accessing the property whenever he feels like it, which is totally unacceptable, can you do the rest of us a favour and report him for not being registered as a landlord (if you are positive that he is not registered). Here is the link Registration Enforcement Referral Form What are the chances he is not declaring the income to revenue as well...? Anyway best of luck OP

My partner is worried that if we do that he will take retribution some way and I can understand her concerns. We have 2 dogs, in fairness he was good to let us rent with them, and we are happy to pay for any damage they might cause, but if we get into a dispute like that he could very easily enter the house and let them out to go missing or whatever. We dont need that in our lives.

Last summer he was looking to sell the place and knew we'd be interested and came to us with a price. after some haggling (the price was more than we are comfortable paying) I offfered him his asking price and he changed his mind. Hes perfectly entitled to do that, but I made him aware of the stress and hurt it caused us to do that. After that, I demanded another fixed term contract (the previous one expired in july 2018) as i had no clue whether he would change his mind from one end of the week to the next, I told him I was not prepared to live with the uncertainty that a for sale sign could go up at any moment if he had another change of mind. He gave it, mostly because he knew we'd leave and he needs the money from the rent. It was signed in September for a year.
    It gave us a bit more security and time to find a place.
    At this stage I just want out, but it means buying in a very tough market which will take time, renting will be nigh on impossible with 2 dogs in this market, and we simply will not live without them, I'd sleep under a bridge with them rather than lose them.
    I'd be 90% positive he did not declare the rental income at least at the start, and that was some of the motivation for not registering with the prtb. He keeps saying lately that he has maintenance payments to make but half his rental income is going on tax, but he knows this because I told him when we first signed a the initial lease that I pay approx half of mine, but thats because I earn in the higher tax bracket. He barely works to my knowledge, on and off it seems, so he is likely not earning in the higher income tax bracket, so I very much doubt he would be paying half the rental income in tax anyway. My guess is hes paying none or has recently been collared for it due to his maintenance payment problems.
    So I think hes now trying to force us out and make living there so uncomfortable that we move on, maybe to either sell or rent for increased income. He claims he wants to move in but given he barely works, I cant see how this would help with the maintenance he has to pay.
    Its a mess and we are in the middle of it really and being treated very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I've been following this thread for a couple of days.

The issue is that he is coming around too much (which is valid). You have two options; either you can talk to him about it and ask him to tone it down as it's making you uncomfortable OR you can report him to the PRTB.

I have been renting in Dublin for 15 years and a landlord who is NOT registered, in my opinion, should be reported in any case. Why you don't do that, being a landlord yourself, baffles me.

I don't think there is a magic answer here. You have to deal with it and accept that it will make things harder until you move out. You knew at the start of your first lease that he wouldn't register the tenancy - that makes things harder from the get go. Dodgy start = dodgy tenancy and he has you cornered. I wouldn't allow him to continue to take the mickey out of me any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My partner is worried that if we do that he will take retribution some way and I can understand her concerns. We have 2 dogs, in fairness he was good to let us rent with them, and we are happy to pay for any damage they might cause, but if we get into a dispute like that he could very easily enter the house and let them out to go missing or whatever. We dont need that in our lives.
    You refuse to do anything to stop him from coming over in fear of retribution, so IMO the only option left is for you to move.

You refuse to do anything to stop him from coming over in fear of retribution, so IMO the only option left is for you to move.

I agree with you actually. I think that speculation of letting the dogs out is a bit dramatic though.

I agree with you actually. I think that speculation of letting the dogs out is a bit dramatic though.

Its just an example of what could happen if we got into a very bitter dispute with him, which could easily happen if we report him and he has more financial/legal issues on top of his serious issues over child maintenance.
    If you push someone too far you don't know what they'll do. And more for our sake than his, I'm very reluctant to risk that. Call that dramatic if you want.

Its just an example of what could happen if we got into a very bitter dispute with him, which could easily happen if we report him and he has more financial/legal issues on top of his serious issues over child maintenance.
    If you push someone too far you don't know what they'll do. And more for our sake than his, I'm very reluctant to risk that. Call that dramatic if you want.

To be fair, you came to a forum seeking advice. You have options: say nothing (which won't work for you as it's clearly bothering you), talk to him or report him (which you don't seem to want to do either) OR move (which is a huge ask in the current rental market). I do think it's dramatic. Do you have evidence that he is that sort of person? Has he done something like that before? Has he entered the property without telling you? I've been in bad rental situations before, and I won't let anyone walk all over me or take away my rights. If he can't hack being a landlord then he shouldn't be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

OP you need to say
    “ look it landlord your a nice guy but you have to stop calling around. This is currently my home, and you are making us uncomfortable. “

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

I know its easy, its pouring salt into a container essentially, but he wont allow us access to do it, so its not in our power to do it, however easy.
    I am considering a letter if he turns up next weekend (hes already here this weekend to paint fences or some other ****e).

The landlord is under no obigation to allow you to carry out anything maintenance related, carrying out maintenance related tasks should be scheduled, but you shouldnt be complaining about it.

We rent the entire house, front and back garden. We are not allowed access to the garage, which I accepted. But to come every single week for some or other reason is excessive in my view. It staggers me but doesnt suprise me that plenty seem to find no issue with that.

You dont rent the garage, it doesnt matter whether or not you accept it, you stated yourself you dont rent it, its none of your business.

The garage is separate to the house, they are not connected.
    To be clear, I've no problem with him accessing it, I would have liked to have use of it for my motorbike but he wouldnt agree to that.
    And I wouldnt credit him with the intelligence to be doing anything to circumvent any rule, he hasnt a clue quite honestly. This is his first time renting, and as a long time landlord myself, I had to tell him what to do when we were agreeing the initial lease. He really didnt have a clue. I told him then to register with the prtb but it become clear very quickly he had no intention, and we needed a place so had to acquiesce.
    But it staggers me that anyone feels I'm being unreasonable in suggesting that weekly visits from a landlord (for whatever reason), many of them lasting for 8-9 hours +, is excessive and out of order.
    Have things really got that bad where a tenant cant even expect to have the place to themselves at weekends the majority of time?
    Its depressing to me if what I'm suggesting here is considered unreasonable.

Tbh, after reading the thread following a few added comments, it seems you do have a problem with him accessing the garage, otherwise why keep bringing it up, it was never in the agreement and you dont have any say on whether he accesses it or not, it doesnt matter if you mind, youre not renting it off him, he can go to the garage every day if he likes, its his. You make it clear you were interested in the garage, but that he didnt want that, so it was never in his plan. You insult someone saying they dont have the intelligence who cant defend themself here. You sound fairly hostile, maybe youre annoyed about it, you seem bothered by it all, so why dont you just have a plain and to the point discussion and say you dont wnat him at the house in the bounds of the area you rent more than a certain amount of time, I still think once a month is reasonable and that sounds like it would be a huge improvement.

Last summer he was looking to sell the place and knew we'd be interested and came to us with a price. after some haggling (the price was more than we are comfortable paying) I offfered him his asking price and he changed his mind. Hes perfectly entitled to do that, but I made him aware of the stress and hurt it caused us to do that. After that, I demanded another fixed term contract (the previous one expired in july 2018) as i had no clue whether he would change his mind from one end of the week to the next, I told him I was not prepared to live with the uncertainty that a for sale sign could go up at any moment if he had another change of mind. He gave it, mostly because he knew we'd leave and he needs the money from the rent. It was signed in September for a year.
    It gave us a bit more security and time to find a place.
    At this stage I just want out, but it means buying in a very tough market which will take time, renting will be nigh on impossible with 2 dogs in this market, and we simply will not live without them, I'd sleep under a bridge with them rather than lose them.
    I'd be 90% positive he did not declare the rental income at least at the start, and that was some of the motivation for not registering with the prtb. He keeps saying lately that he has maintenance payments to make but half his rental income is going on tax, but he knows this because I told him when we first signed a the initial lease that I pay approx half of mine, but thats because I earn in the higher tax bracket. He barely works to my knowledge, on and off it seems, so he is likely not earning in the higher income tax bracket, so I very much doubt he would be paying half the rental income in tax anyway. My guess is hes paying none or has recently been collared for it due to his maintenance payment problems.
    So I think hes now trying to force us out and make living there so uncomfortable that we move on, maybe to either sell or rent for increased income. He claims he wants to move in but given he barely works, I cant see how this would help with the maintenance he has to pay.
    Its a mess and we are in the middle of it really and being treated very badly.

You seem to be without cause accusing the person of doing something you and your wife have come to the conclusion in your own mind that he will do, given that he agreed to rent with dogs, and resigned a lease, that seems a bit unlikely. Poor you about the stress and hurt!? he is perfectly entitled to not sell to you, you said he changed his mind, but just before that you said, he came to us with an offer, and after some haggling? maybe you caused him stress trying to downgrade the offer, you sound difficult to deal with especially as you state, you demanded a fixed term lease, as a landlord as you claim, you should know hese are virtually of no point after 6 months anyway and as you are saying you want to buy somewhere, they could actually cause you a problem having one. Id say you had no right to demand a fixed term lease, you were already covered by part4.
    Going through this point by point, you really seem to be bothered he is sticking his nose it your business, but you are doing the exact same, its none of your business what rate he is on, you have no idea what his earnings are. You are all over the place, youre not happy there, you have dogs and state he let to you with them and you would have difficulty finding anywhwere with dogs, so you seem a bit ungrateful.

Youre speculating, and nothing you said about him here suggests here that would be the case. So you know he has financial issues, and are aware of issues with child maintenance payments? what relevance is that, again none of your business, at the least are you not sympathetic?
    Seriously, you need to grow a pair, you actually seem very passive aggressive, all you need to do is have a frank civil discussion about his over attendance, all the rest seems to be in your heads and a lot of it seems to be because you are dissatisfied about not getting the garage for your motorbike and knowing you might not get elsewhere with dogs, thats your responsibility, its not his fault or responsibility.

• Advertisement
Advertisement