Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord at house every week....

Options
  • 06-02-2019 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

We are at the end of our tether with our landlord, he has been at the house at least once per week practically every week over the last 3-4 months. He finds a reason every week, be it putting salt in the water filtration system (be won't allow us do this) repair or gardening work in the garden, collecting the mail he refuses to reroute, whatever it is he finds it. He is looking to move back in when our contract is up and it is my firm belief he is doing this to try annoy us into going sooner. He is a passive aggressive arsehole so would never have the decency and guts to just say that however. The tenancy is not registered with the prtb so he's breaking the law to my knowledge and if this constant invasion of privacy keeps up, I am seriously considering reporting him so they can deal with him.
    Thoughts on this issue and what action I should take?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

He shouldn't call to the property or enter without permission. He might own it but it's your home and you have a certain right to privacy there. He can request access at reasonable intervals to carry out repairs and inspect the place but this must be done at a date and time agreed in advance. Every week or more is certainly not reasonable.

Have a word with him and tell him the weekly are concerning you, that he is not allowed as per above and you would like him to only come at reasonable intervals and when pre arranged. If he doesn't want to hear this then I'm afraid you'll have to stand up for yourselves and say that you will seek external advise through the prtb if needs be. If he isn't registered then this should spook him into line but if it doesn't then your perfectly entitled to go down that route if you think he deserves teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

terrydel wrote: »
    be it putting salt in the water filtration system
    Is it locked? Is there anything stopping you from doing it yourself? I don't care that he doesn't want you doing it.
    The tenancy is not registered with the prtb so he's breaking the law to my knowledge and if this constant invasion of privacy keeps up, I am seriously considering reporting him so they can deal with him.
    Thoughts on this issue and what action I should take?
    Cheers.
    https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/rights-and-responsibilities/
    Privacy – the landlord can only enter the property with the tenants permission, unless every attempt has been made to contact the tenant
    Perhaps next time he wants to pop over, say no?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

the_syco wrote: »
    Is it locked? Is there anything stopping you from doing it yourself? I don't care that he doesn't want you doing it.

re water; we added salt at one rental and very easy...

Maybe an official letter as he seems insensitive to other ideas... and yes NO works and do not answer the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

the_syco wrote: »

The filtration system is in the garage which he will not give us access to. Its an external garage.
    He claims it needs salt once per month, but its often gone 2 or 3 months without it with no issues (hes called up for different reasons in that period - collecting the mail or taking something from the garage mainly). I personally think the filtration system is a convenient excuse for regular visits, hence him not allowing us to manage it.

I've told him no on numerous occasions and told him his notice the night before just isnt acceptable.
    He recently planted hedging out the back, and this took a full day of a weekend for 4 full weekends.

Graces7 wrote: »
    re water; we added salt at one rental and very easy...

Maybe an official letter as he seems insensitive to other ideas... and yes NO works and do not answer the door.

I know its easy, its pouring salt into a container essentially, but he wont allow us access to do it, so its not in our power to do it, however easy.
    I am considering a letter if he turns up next weekend (hes already here this weekend to paint fences or some other ****e).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Is he actually coming into the property or just painting and doing stuff round the grounds?

Can you not just close the curtains and ignore him?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

....... wrote: »
    Is he actually coming into the property or just painting and doing stuff round the grounds?

They shouldn't have to.

They shouldn't have to.

Well there is a difference between someone coming into the property and someone doing grounds maintenance.

I lived in a managed apartment block where there would regularly be people doing grounds maintenance right outside my window, cleaning windows, leaf blowing, planting shrubs, gardening etc...

Now it could be argued that they were interfering with my peaceful enjoyment of my own home, but they were keeping the place looking nice so if they bothered me I just shut the curtains.

Im struggling to see the problem if he is confining his visits to the area to outside the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Well there is a difference between someone coming into the property and someone doing grounds maintenance.

I lived in a managed apartment block where there would regularly be people doing grounds maintenance right outside my window, cleaning windows, leaf blowing, planting shrubs, gardening etc...

Now it could be argued that they were interfering with my peaceful enjoyment of my own home, but they were keeping the place looking nice so if they bothered me I just shut the curtains.

Im struggling to see the problem if he is confining his visits to the area to outside the property.

There is a big difference between a private dwelling and the communal areas of an apartment block

There is a big difference between a private dwelling and the communal areas of an apartment block

Yeah thats why I asked if he was coming in or just doing stuff on the grounds - the OP mentioned a garage that they had no access to so presumably he is entitled to access that?

Also a fence that he is painting - if he is only hanging around the outskirts at the fence then its not a big deal IMO.

Now its a different matter if he is up at their windows or asking to use the loo/sink/kitchen while he is working outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Return all post to the sender with 'not at this address' written on it.

Mainly outside, but why should I have to do as you suggest? I pay him a lot of money and work long and hard for a bit of privacy, spending my weekends with my landlord over my shoulder for a whole day is not my idea of privacy.
    I'm a landlord myself actually, and I'd visit the property once a year tops or only at the request of the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Mainly outside, but why should I have to do as you suggest? I pay him a lot of money and work long and hard for a bit of privacy, spending my weekends with my landlord over my shoulder for a whole day is not my idea of privacy.
    I'm a landlord myself actually, and I'd visit the property once a year tops or only at the request of the tenant.

Well man up and deal with it, seeing as you know the score. A landlord looking for advice on here for a situation with his own landlord is bizarre!

You dont have to do anything but its not entirely clear what the issue is?

If he is outside at the perimeter or going into a garage why is it bothering you?

As for his post - return to sender it all, not known at this address.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

The filtration system is in the garage which he will not give us access to. Its an external garage.
    He claims it needs salt once per month, but its often gone 2 or 3 months without it with no issues (hes called up for different reasons in that period - collecting the mail or taking something from the garage mainly). I personally think the filtration system is a convenient excuse for regular visits, hence him not allowing us to manage it.

I've told him no on numerous occasions and told him his notice the night before just isnt acceptable.
    He recently planted hedging out the back, and this took a full day of a weekend for 4 full weekends.

It is his property and he is allowed to plant a hedge, and he did not rent the garage, so it is still his to enter without asking any persons permission

You dont have to do anything but its not entirely clear what the issue is?

If he is outside at the perimeter or going into a garage why is it bothering you?

As for his post - return to sender it all, not known at this address.

Are you for real? We pay a lot of money and our landlord spends whole days of every weekend on the property and that shouldnt bother us? Are we not entitled to have the place to ourselves at weekends after a hard week in work? We rent the whole property, garden included. We are not his lodgers.
    You think its ok that a landlord has probably made 20+ visits to the property since early November, many of them he has spent the entire day there?

Are you for real? We pay a lot of money and our landlord spends whole days of every weekend on the property and that shouldnt bother us? Are we not entitled to have the place to ourselves at weekends after a hard week in work? We rent the whole property, garden included. We are not his lodgers.

But you do have the place to yourselves? He is outside, planting hedges or painting fences? He isnt in the house with you?

Would you look after the maintenance of the garden/perimeter/hedges if he stopped coming?

Would you mind if he sent someone else to do the work? Is it just that its him or that someone is maintaining the grounds?

I genuinely dont see what being in work for the week has to do with it - lots of people work weekends and wouldnt even notice their LL planting hedges of a Saturday.

You think its ok that a landlord has probably made 20+ visits to the property since early November, many of them he has spent the entire day there?

It seems the garage is not included in your deal, as you said that you do not have access to it, you already stated this in an earlier post, would want to read contract again to see if this is true

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Do you rent the house and the path to the front door? Or do you rent the whole property?

If the whole property then you should have enjoyment of the whole property.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Does the lease specify that you are obliged to maintain the exterior of the property?
    If it doesnt then he has every right t o maintain it at his convenience. You are a landlord but happy to have a situation where your tenancy isnt registered with the useless PRTB.

• Advertisement

I did rent at one time, and law is, it is u to me to keep the place in good order,
    If a tenant came out to me and said I were a nuisance, I would tell them to start looking for alternative accommodation

If he hasnt come in or bothered you then I dont see the problem.

Im not home most of Saturday myself because Im out doing the shopping/going to the gym/getting bits etc... so its unlikely Id notice if my landlord was there until I saw the fruits of his labour and then Id just be glad he was keeping the place nice.

I used to rent a granny flat and the landlord was regularly in my little garden area painting and treating a fence/ gardening etc... I never minded, I used to go out and offer him tea.

If you just dont like the guy then maybe thats a different issue. But on the face of it I cant see what is freaking you out so much.

But you do have the place to yourselves? He is outside, planting hedges or painting fences? He isnt in the house with you?

Would you look after the maintenance of the garden/perimeter/hedges if he stopped coming?

Would you mind if he sent someone else to do the work? Is it just that its him or that someone is maintaining the grounds?

I genuinely dont see what being in work for the week has to do with it - lots of people work weekends and wouldnt even notice their LL planting hedges of a Saturday.

Are you just trolling now?
    I do maintain the garden.
    If you dont see merit in someone wanting to have their home to themselves at weekends then I personally cant help you. Your point about people working weekends is utterly irrelevant as we do not, we have time at home at weekends only and he is in the garden for entire days, knocks in to get his mail etc. Why do you have such an issue with the simple desire to have a house properly to ourselves?

Edgware wrote: »
    Does the lease specify that you are obliged to maintain the exterior of the property?
    If it doesnt then he has every right t o maintain it at his convenience. You are a landlord but happy to have a situation where your tenancy isnt registered with the useless PRTB.

Im not happy, but I cannot put a gun to his head and make him register can I?

If you dont see merit in someone wanting to have their home to themselves at weekends then I personally cant help you. Your point about people working weekends is utterly irrelevant as we do not, we have time at home at weekends only and he is in the garden for entire days, knocks in to get his mail etc. Why do you have such an issue with the simple desire to have a house properly to ourselves?

Now that you say, you maintain garden, he is lucky to have you, because I have not seen many tenants keeping a property in good order on the outside

Do you rent the house and the path to the front door? Or do you rent the whole property?

If the whole property then you should have enjoyment of the whole property.

We rent the entire house, front and back garden. We are not allowed access to the garage, which I accepted. But to come every single week for some or other reason is excessive in my view. It staggers me but doesnt suprise me that plenty seem to find no issue with that.

Why are you becoming personal?

You have a problem with your LL. I am asking you what the problem is.

Nothing you have posted clarifies what the issue is except that you dont like him in your garden.

You may not like him in your garden but it sounds like you havent rented the entire property - if there is a garage you dont have access to.

If your attitude towards him is anything like your attitude on this thread then perhaps it is YOU who is the problem eh?

goat2 wrote: »
    Now that you say, you maintain garden, he is lucky to have you, because I have not seen many tenants keeping a property in good order on the outside

I cut the grass, trim the hedges regularly, it is kept better than when we arrived.

Im not happy, but I cannot put a gun to his head and make him register can I?

You can report him to PRTB.

• Advertisement

He must be bored , and looking to do something, get out and about

Advertisement