Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would you rather have a pint with Nigel Farage or Jean-Claude Juncker?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭alloywheel

Juncker still gets my admiration for his speech on the night of the Brexit result to the effect that "if your media and politicians have spent the past 40 years blaming the EU for everything bad and Britain for everything good about EU membership, this result is the inevitable consequence." Most accurate summary ever of what happened.

Actually not the most accurate summary ever of what happened.

If that was the case, I suppose you think the Italian media and politicians are to blame for most Italians wanting out of the EU?

"Less than half of Italians would vote to stay in the EU: survey"

https://www.thelocal.it/20181017/italy-eu-eurosceptic-italexit-brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I dont agree with his politics at all but Farage comes across as a fairly nice bloke, the kind you could have a pint and a fag with, and a bit of craic. His personality is probably part of why leave ended up winning no doubt. Juncker comes across as a slippery sleazy Sepp Blatter clone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Gravelly wrote: »
    Farage - Junker looks like one of those sloppy drunks who would ruin your night and get you barred from your local.

Under-rated comment. When I read this I couldn't stop laughing.

alloywheel wrote: »
    Actually not the most accurate summary ever of what happened.

Yeah, it was. A British media dominated by a small, unelected oligarchy of ultrarich Tories, and a political class which supports an unelected House of Lords, unelected Head of State and a huge plethora of other political positions held by an unelected elite in a society where the permanent government, the civil service, is full to the rafters with a self-appointed elite from Cambridge/Oxford/Eton/Harrow etc. Now and again they might allow a token pleb with a rough accent from a polytechnic in to give the appearance of inclusivity.

And then the same Tory/UKIP Brexiteers turn around and give out about EU institutions being "undemocratic". Get off the stage with that plebeian drivel from the same propaganda mouthpieces of the above elite.

The benighted morons in working class England who voted for Brexit are the same class of British society who have been screwed over by the very same globalisation-pushing, low-taxation-for-the-rich, bring-in-immigrants-to-make-labour-costs-cheaper, Tory class that are now putting themselves forward as great defenders of what they term "the UK" (i.e. England and their control of it). Poor English people who voted for Brexit and who support the Farage, Rees-Mogg and Johnson types are the most duped section of all the duped sections in European society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Yeah, it was. A British media dominated by a small, unelected oligarchy of ultrarich Tories, and a political class which supports an unelected House of Lords, unelected Head of State and a huge plethora of other political positions held by an unelected elite in a society where the permanent government, the civil service, is full to the rafters with a self-appointed elite from Cambridge/Oxford/Eton/Harrow etc. Now and again they might allow a token pleb with a rough accent from a polytechnic in to give the appearance of inclusivity.

And then the same Tory/UKIP Brexiteers turn around and give out about EU institutions being "undemocratic". Get off the stage with that plebeian drivel from the same propaganda mouthpieces of the above elite.

The benighted morons in working class England who voted for Brexit are the same class of British society who have been screwed over by the very same globalisation-pushing, low-taxation-for-the-rich, bring-in-immigrants-to-make-labour-costs-cheaper, Tory class that are now putting themselves forward as great defenders of what they term "the UK" (i.e. England and their control of it). Poor English people who voted for Brexit and who support the Farage, Rees-Mogg and Johnson types are the most duped section of all the duped sections in European society.

I think you are mixing Britain up with the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'd have a pint with Juncker and I'd use the empty glass on Farage.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Jean-Claude without doubt.

Loved Double Impact. Hated Chariots of Fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Farage has got one of the most punchable faces of all time - and you know he'd leave you hanging when it's his round.

So it'd have to be the other fella - any other fella really

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Being a pint lad, not sure I'd tipple with the Juncker's fella

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Nige.

Junker would probably pinch a bar girls arse and say it was you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Farage by a country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Nigel, as long as he dresses up as a Welsh coal miner and I can bring Liam Neeson along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Nigel, of course. At least there would be a chance of interesting conversation. Juncker has the vibe of a degenerate sex pest and the possibility of him fluffing out my hair while breathing his geriatric wine fumes into my face is not appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,998 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Farage so I could pour the two pints over him

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Jean Claude Drunker

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

Juncker. They do better beer in his area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'd say nigel would be gas craic.
    Plus he looks like Mr Grinch, and that's one for the photo opportunity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I'd be a remainer but people are acting as though Farage is this monstrous human being. He isn't though, at all.

Think for yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Farage, if it was promised that nobody would come looking for him afterwards. Throw in Morgan and JRM too. 3 pieces of sh1t for the price of one.

Love the fantasies of violence towards people for their opinions.

• Advertisement

Yes, the ''glassing'' him fantasies are particularly disturbing. Must be 2 or 3 so far, and each one made me do a WTF.

Zorya wrote: »
    Yes, the ''glassing'' him fantasies are particularly disturbing. Must be 2 or 3 so far, and each one made me do a WTF.
    If it were said about a liberal man though - fascism.
    And a liberal woman? Misogyny.

Hey, it's AH, it's all light-hearted. Do you think anyone here who has said it, would actually assault him if they were face to face? Of course not.

And it's not about opinions, it's about actions. Farage is a scumbag. He has demonstrated that continually. He has been campaigning for years to drive political policies that will personally enrich him, to the cost of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

seamus wrote: »
    Hey, it's AH, it's all light-hearted. Do you think anyone here who has said it, would actually assault him if they were face to face? Of course not.

And it's not about opinions, it's about actions. Farage is a scumbag. He has demonstrated that continually. He has been campaigning for years to drive political policies that will personally enrich him, to the cost of others.

And Junckers not much better with his anti democratic guff... They used to line fellas like that up against a wall..

If it were said about a liberal man though - fascism.
    And a liberal woman? Misogyny.

Well I know I would have gotten an outright ban for saying I would ''glass'' anyone whose opinions I unpopularly disagree with, and Lord knows there are many, so it seems quite jarring (if that's not a loose pun too far). Glassing is horrific, reads like gutting or stabbing or lynching. Meh, what do I know, maybe it's a fashionable thing to say....

I like the way you say things here that have also occurred to me, Gimme, that I don't have the guts to say.

And Junckers not much better with his anti democratic guff... They used to line fellas like that up against a wall..
    Ah yes, the old British propaganda. I bet you believe he's an alcoholic too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Ah yes, the old British propaganda. I bet you believe he's an alcoholic too.

Here you are... The "anti democratic guff"

On Greece's economic meltdown in 2011
    "When it becomes serious, you have to lie.

On EU monetary policy
    "I'm ready to be insulted as being insufficiently democratic, but I want to be serious ... I am for secret, dark debates"

On British calls for a referendum over Lisbon Treaty
    “Of course there will be transfers of sovereignty. But would I be intelligent to draw the attention of public opinion to this fact?,”

On French referendum over EU constitution
    “If it's a Yes, we will say 'on we go', and if it's a No we will say 'we continue’,”

On the introduction of the euro
    "We decide on something, leave it lying around, and wait and see what happens. If no one kicks up a fuss, because most people don't understand what has been decided, we continue step by step until there is no turning back."

On eurozone economic policy and democracy
    “We all know what to do, we just don't know how to get re-elected after we've done it”

Yeah it must be a bottle of sciatica that makes him stumble around like he **** himself..

Zorya wrote: »
    Well I know I would have gotten an outright ban for saying I would ''glass'' anyone whose opinions I unpopularly disagree with, and Lord knows there are many, so it seems quite jarring (if that's not a loose pun too far). Glassing is horrific, reads like gutting or stabbing or lynching. Meh, what do I know, maybe it's a fashionable thing to say....

I like the way you say things here that have also occurred to me, Gimme, that I don't have the guts to say.
    Hah, cheers Z.

You know, there were people shouting at JRM's children over their father. You read that correctly. He's an old skool conservative - so? What crime is he committing? Is he abusing people? Disagree with him, fine - I disagree with him. But what's the personal abuse about? From adults like

And e.g. "I'd glass a trans athlete" would guarantee a ban. It certainly, and rightly, wouldn't be viewed as "light-hearted".

49f7469e2062e9febf8693e04b318e9d?width=1024

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Haha.. What's the next thing on talking sheet...this is hilarious.

Advertisement