Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK looking at Newry for potential nuclear waste site

Options
  • 05-02-2019 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

I will seriously lose my sheet if this happens. Might even come out of my hermitage and march on the place, occupy it even. Where's me tent! I mean it. :mad:
    The UK Government are investigating the suitability of Newry and surrounding area of Mourne Mountains and Slieve Gullion as a potential venue for the storage of radioactive waste.

In a Radioactive Waste Management report it explains the potential suitability of the area for Geological Disposal Facility (GDF) "There are granites and similar strong rocks around Newry, in which we may be able to site a GDF. We would need to do more work to find out whether these rocks have suitable properties and thicknesses in the depth range of interest for a GDF.""

The report adds "In the vicinity of Newry (from Slieve Gullion to Slieve Croob), the basement rocks comprise a sequence of granite masses, several kilometres deep, which were emplaced into the Ordovician and Silurian rocks about 400 million years ago. These Newry Igneous Complex rocks range from granodiorite to granite and are potential HSR host rocks."

https://www.newry.ie/news/9-news/latest/6591-newry-area-under-investigation-for-radioactive-waste-disposal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Sure at least with the Brexit the radiation won't be able to pass the border

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

tgdaly wrote: »
    Sure at least with the Brexit the radiation won't be able to pass the border

Very True

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'quick lads, chuck our nuclear waste over to Northern Ireland before we lose it after Brexit!'

Educate yourself on nuclear waste and it’s storage before losing the head over it. It’s not a big deal at all, people’s fear of nuclear power and handling the waste is one of the biggest irrational fears of all time.

It’s also held back the roll out of nuclear power and also proper waste handling, in fact in the us for example stupid irrational fear and bad politicians have prevented nuclear reprocessing which would drastically reduce the amount of radioactive waste needing to be stored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Have to go to work now but will be back later to emote at greater length on this. First the fcukers try fracking, now this!!! I am seriously cross. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Carnsore Point would be a great place for a nuclear plant. We should build one of them yokes.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

OldGoat wrote: »
    Carnsore Point would be a great place for a nuclear plant. We should build one of them yokes.

Get the hairy bikers off the beach first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The cynic in me says this is a Brexit-based threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Educate yourself on nuclear waste and it’s storage before losing the head over it. It’s not a big deal at all, people’s fear of nuclear power and handling the waste is one of the biggest irrational fears of all time.

It’s also held back the roll out of nuclear power and also proper waste handling, in fact in the us for example stupid irrational fear and bad politicians have prevented nuclear reprocessing which would drastically reduce the amount of radioactive waste needing to be stored.

The us government wanted to store most of the us nuclear waste at yucca mountain in Nevada...a highly seismic region of the country and within 30-40 miles of the fastest growing city in the country, Las Vegas.

The fact Nevada itself has no nuclear power plants and that the plan called for shipments of waste to be transported right through the city of Vegas to Yucca mountain and that the leader of the senate came from Nevada was the reason it was shot down.

I see similar thing happening in Northern Ireland. Tories need the DUP votes and they won't agree to having the six counties used as a dumping site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Meh. Nitrogen oxides and sulphur oxides will have killed so many of us through cancers that an actual Sellafield disaster would hardly be noticed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How would it work if we had a unified Ireland at some stage and the UK had a waste site on our land?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

kneemos wrote: »
    How would it work if we had a unified Ireland at some stage and the UK had a waste site on our land?

We'd have to build giant catapults to fuck it back to them. Bonus points for nobbling Boris Johnson on the noggin with a shkelp of Strontium-90. :cool:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

We took cork in the treaty didn't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,481 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Whatever about this proposal, looking at the citizens of Larne would lead me to believe that the brits have already been secretly dumping nuclear waste for decades

I'm sure the people of South Down will give the people assessing this a personal welcome.

Whatever about this proposal, looking at the citizens of Larne would lead me to believe that the brits have already been secretly dumping nuclear waste for decades

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort%27s_Dyke

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

And that's why the UK are placing it as far away from the home counties as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Is this a DUP plan to turn everyone in the North orange,

And effing stupid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Just look out for the English boats with the nuclear symbols on the side. They come very close to the island when dumping the old 'glow in the dark'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Peoples fear of handling Nuclear waste! what :eek:, thats with fairly good reason and you tell others to educate themselves, sweet jesus, not a big deal! :D

The overall cost of Nuclear power is not positive, billions is hoovered up and gigawatts of electrical power consumed before 1 watt of power is even produced, never mind the by products and costs in storing the waste, or the Co2 produced in the whole process of start to finish to create a nuclear power plant, its a false economy. By the time Nuclear power starts producing electrical power its all payback for the electricity/power consumed, its then a losing battle until decommisioning and the cost of indefinite storage of the by products, risk of harm to the environment (including us).

we'd be better off going down the route of integrating the maximum amount of a range of green options, like PV and wind, hydro, pumped storage and clean (as clean as possible) fossil fuels, until someone magics up a fusion reactor or some new means to create power or store energy.
    In the interim where possible a means to reduce our consumption by increasing efficiencies/reducing the heating demand of buildings, and a modernisation/switch over to either electric and/or hydrogen for large vehicles (like trains/buses) which is already happening and available, yes hydrogen powered trains exist.
    While Im all for EV cars, more benefit environmentally will be made switching public/mass transport fuel to hydrogen and electric than personal EV cars.
    Nuclear power, unless some new form is available is an evolutionary dead end at the moment.

If you are happy with it, maybe site your home on a toxic nuclear waste site?

Meh. Nitrogen oxides and sulphur oxides will have killed so many of us through cancers that an actual Sellafield disaster would hardly be noticed..

Righhht

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    And that's why the UK are placing it as far away from the home counties as possible.

from the linked article
    Thirteen regions in total are under investigation including Northern Ireland, Northern England, Pennines and adjacent areas, Eastern England, Wales, Welsh Borderland, Central England, East Anglia, Bristol and Gloucester, London and the Thames Valley, South West England, Hampshire Basin and Wealden District.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

With so much of the Electricity in Northern Ireland and the Republic coming from Nuclear power it is no surprise that this is one of the areas being considered. Once we signed up to the inter connector we became a nuclear powered nation. I wouldn't like it but I accept the waste has to go somewhere and therefore it should be in the most geographically suitable place. I imaging security concerns will rule out this site. The UK government have been pushing back a decision on permanent nuclear storage for years so it is unlikely to be made soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That would be way down the list of problems to be fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Zorya wrote: »
    I will seriously lose my sheet if this happens. Might even come out of my hermitage and march on the place, occupy it even. Where's me tent! I mean it. :mad:

https://www.newry.ie/news/9-news/latest/6591-newry-area-under-investigation-for-radioactive-waste-disposal

I would have thought Portadown would have been the more likely site, given its already toxic atmosphere and mutated population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I'm sure the people of Fukushima are delighted they were selected for their nuclear project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

We should not have electricity from nuclear power if that's what the inetrconnector deal meant. I didn't sign it.

We do not produce nuclear energy on this island, there is no way another country should even be considering using this island to dump their nuclear waste. In a couple of decades the North will be integrated with the Republic and to have another nations nuclear dump deep in the bowels of the Mourne mountains! No way.

I love the way people use the word ''store'' as a euphenism for ''dump''. When we landfill rubbish we don't call it stores, we call it dumps, because that is what they are. The inability to properly deal with nuclear waste is the reason I am anti nuclear power. This inability continues.

Look at Fukushima - still seeping out large amounts of radioactivity into the Pacific ocean, which no one talks about any more. It is a dangerous technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwY2E0hjGuU

John Oliver talks about the costs associated with Americas solution to storing nuclear waste.
    (And also that many of the facilities were meant to be replaced years ago but weren't)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nukery

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Anything that improves Newrymust be welcomed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Honestly, what's the fuss about? Sticking seals blocks of recycled waste in purpose built underground structures makes perfect sense - far more sensible than leaving it on the surface and it's not going to be shot into space.

Advertisement