Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭silver_sky

@Black_Knight Any idea what the count is on remaining AC43?

@DrPhilG yeah, not impressed - even less so that the 22kW they're putting in isn't doing close to that... or isn't even being included in some sites like Mayfield. Means a stop in the town where would be better to stop at services for food, rest break etc. The nearest ecars 22kW unit to Mayfield crapped out when I tried use it. When I tried report it all I got out of customer services was asking how some football match went...

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

From what I see, 72 sites have tethered type 2 plugs. No site has more than one of those triple head units, so there should be 72 remaining AC43 plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Great, thanks for that! I'm wondering how many of those have been used in the past month. There is a rake of them that are non-functioning for quite some time. ecars abandoned it long ago and have been denying it ever since... until now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

In all my years driving EVs I’ve never understood those AC 43kW connections

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Its the simplest of connections, any where with 3 phase could supply a car with a box no bigger than a wall charger, shame every car cannot utilize it. Instead we get a thing the size of a fridge freezer and costs about the same when you fill it with cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's because Renault needed a fast charger for the Zoe 40 but for whatever reason decided not to use CCS

To be fair, I actually like the idea of high powered AC and wish more cars had it, but going above 22kW seems a bit pointless for now

11kW seems to be the new standard for 3 phase AC on cars, hopefully it goes to 22kW as standard in the next few years

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

69 have been used (at least once) in the last 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭innrain

Most likely by some waiting for DC or one of those cars with socket but no cable. AC43 was a lost bet with just one manufacturer backing it up. Unfortunately it cannot go higher than that without the fridge attached to the cable. The advance in tech made possible for a 45k car to charge 5 times faster than AC43 would deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just noticed this past 2 weeks that my local "fast" (50kw) charger at the circle k on templeville road seems to have become a taxi hub!! Almost every single day in the last 2 weeks when I passed it there was at least one taxi charging. On 2 consecutive days there were 2 taxis charging at it.

I think it was 2 Friday nights ago I was passing it at half 10 and it was empty so I said I'd take on 40 minutes before going home to bed. In the time I was there 1 taxi pulled in and then drove off. An ID4 pulled in and drove off. 5 minutes before my time was up a taxi man pulled up in a Peugeot EV. Had a good chat with him out the window about his fuel savings etc. He was getting the home charger the following week but was still going to use templeville during his shift if it was free.

It's getting very, very busy out there.

Yeah. That 69 is just 69 unit charge sites have had their AC43 in a charging state at some stage in the last 30 days. Could get a breakdown of use across all the units, that'd give a better idea of use, but I'm certain the usage is flip all. With the majority in hotels and NI.

• Advertisement

I've been added to the regular users list of it too in last couple of weeks - though home charger getting installed on Monday so I'll leave you to it from then on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

To be honest I only use it really if I'm very low and I know it will be free.

Granny cable gives me about 30 - 35% at night if I need it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

2.5 units - Newcastle 50 kW, Headford Road 30 kW, Carnmore 50 kW. That's two and a half 😁

Now one and a half because Carnmore will be offline "for several weeks".

1.5 DC units for 1 City is a shocking state of things.

The whole Chademo and Ac43 is ridiculous - so basically 100 odd units have 66% connector capacity dedicated to cars from 2 manufacturers. It's nuts...

I suppose the Efacecs aren't configurable/adjustable so even if Ecars wanted to eliminate/reduce Chademo and AC43, and replace with CCS, they can't do it. Taxpayer's money well invested!

Nissan Leaf owners were the earliest of adopters, these cars forged the way and should not be abandoned just yet.

Without the success of the Leaf and the push from Tesla we'd all still be in ICE

True but irrelevant for evidenced based policy. Its about rebalancing not abandoning.

Chademo connector to Chademo cars ratio is excessive.

AC43 connector to AC43 cars ratio is highly excessive.

Zoes essentially have a private charging network....paid by public money.

Chademo - is an Asian standard that has nothing to do in the EU market, long term. It's an analogy of an electrical appliance with a Japanese plug sold in the EU and then the owners demanding installation of Japanese sockets in their houses free of charge 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Laviski

The argument should to have more units at every station, this then can facilitate 2/3 CCS points per 1 chademo.

unless your willing to pay for all leaf conversions to CSS then i'm all ears.

Ah, the AC43 is a given, that deffo can be replaced now, essentially seeing as those batteries have degraded and a AC22 can suffice.

CHAdeMO isn’t really an Asian standard, it was here first (that’s why Tesla had the CHAdeMO adapter years before the CCS conversion) before CCS came along.

Anyhow, bit of an academic debate, we are where we are now and CHAdeMO needs to be phased out and my actual point remains which it it should not be abandoned.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I agree don’t abandon it, just don’t install any more of it…

continue upgrading the old 50kW units as they are, but in sites like Rochestown last week, that 150kW unit needs to be Twin CCS only. 1 CHAdeMO is enough at any of these sites now.

The argument that “there are still loads of old Leaf’s out there” is irrelevant.. yes there are, and they all have a perfectly decent charging network almost exclusively for them…..

Absolutely no need to be expanding a dying standard.

the split is still 50/50 at every eCars site except Mayfield…. That’s madness!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Is there any reason that Nissan couldn't provide an adapter or CCS conversion in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,968 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They don't want to?

I don't think we should be adding any more Chademo chargers in Ireland. The network for them is ok and the amount of cars on our roads using that connection will only reduce in years to come as owners swap over to CCS cars.

No, but they won't, if you really want to you can stick a BMW i3 CCS charge port into it but that would be an enthusiast step as the are better off with sticking to CHAdeMO (lesser demand, higher supply on public charging)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bixler3

For the last two months I have had an 'adjustments' charge on my monthly eCars invoice, anybody know what this is?

Apologies if this has been covered already

Thanks in advance.

Call Ecars on 01 258 3799 24/7 or email them on ecars@esb.ie

They'll give you a far more accurate answer than anyone here likely can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭innrain

Sounds like an overstay?

4.05*1.135=4.6. Check your charging history. Do you have any FCP over 45 mins? Did you starts a second session on a FCP quicker than 5 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭wassie

I've been caught like that before. Charging on AC whilst waiting for the DC to free up and not allowing 5 mins between swap-overs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

The earth impedance bci curse of the Zoe, is also a major problem in rural areas.

NiE decided,I suppose long before Evs,that a figure of 200 ohms was their standard acceptable earth impedance, in fact when I got them out to check,they measured 500 ohms.

The Engineers final comment to me was " You bought the wrong car mate"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

A carnmore eCars upgrade update.

Pic from Monday evening.

The dug up area is where the old charger used to be, you can see it currently chilling on a pallet at the edge of the site.

it looks like there may be two chargers going in, maybe a hpc and the 50kw?

• Advertisement

Did not realise the 45 minutes was per unit, not per socket. That's annoying.

So is carnmore and Tuan services both getting "hubs"?

Advertisement