Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Taylor-made CVPL Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭blackwhite

ganmo wrote: »
    wales never rebelled so never got their own flag ??

There was an earlier version (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Great_Britain) to mark the union of the Kingdoms of England & Scotland in 1707 comprising the flags of St. George & St. Andrew. After the 1801 act of union, St. Patrick's Cross was added to create the union jack.

Wales was part of the Kingdom of England since the 1500s, so didn't get it's own recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

blackwhite wrote: »
    ... After the 1801 act of union, St. Patrick's Cross was added to create the union jack...

The so-called St. Patrick's Cross was only invented then so that it could be added to the flag.

Which is why your average Irish person doesn't run around with a red X on a white background on March 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The so-called St. Patrick's Cross was only invented then so that it could be added to the flag.

Which is why your average Irish person doesn't run around with a red X on a white background on March 17th.

Almost true - it was a British contrivance alright, but originally for a different purpose.

It was invented approx. 20 years prior to that to serve as the flag of the British-created Order of St Patrick (a chivalric order created to allow the British to bestow "Irish" knighthoods :pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

blackwhite wrote: »
    Almost true - it was a British contrivance alright, but originally for a different purpose.

It was invented approx. 20 years prior to that to serve as the flag of the British-created Order of St Patrick (a chivalric order created to allow the British to bestow "Irish" knighthoods :pac:).

Ah, feck, I was close enough!

My second sentence is still true!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

New Home wrote: »
    Have you seen this tree?

544452.jpg

Now, look again.

I looked :confused: ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

quickbeam wrote: »
    I looked :confused: ?

Can't see the birds for the leaves

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Ahhhh! Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The same is true of all flags though.

St. Patrick's flag was for Ireland not Norn Iron.
    Not a bad flag to be fair. Looks good on a shield.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

New Home wrote: »
    just FLAG it. :cool:

Sweet Lord:mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be prepared for Lorenzo.
    B28kD3J.jpg

Fires are a common-enough result of severe floods - electrical shorts, damaged gas pipes, arson, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm sure if I looked up the definition of arson, it's not gonna say it's caused by floods! :D

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,129 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It's even better with audio, the kid has a great laugh:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Tabnabs wrote: »
    sciwvl2b2aq31.jpg

Plastic Surgery anonymous

Im disappointed to see a lot of new faces here today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

8643_b3ac_800.jpeg

Sounds amazing too thanks to the sub woofers.

At first I wanted to groan, but it's too good not to lolz. :)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Victor wrote: »
    ^^^

492235.png
    It was going to hurt me if someone didn't point out that post said 2009, not 2019!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

492342.jpg

They were easy to find as they were the only lumberjacks there. Lumberjacks? I meant Tree Fellahs

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/the-most-irish-thing-ever-ballyhaunis-three-identified-in-quick-time-1.3891835
    We can predict what happened. Within an hour the trio had been identified as Seán Tighe, Bernie Waldron and John Devaney from Ballyhaunis, in Co Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

2440_614a_640.jpeg

"You wouldn't steal / download a 3 printer."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

For roughly a week, I can't see any of Capt'n Midnight's posts.
    They show up as either broken links, or blank posts. Quoting them or copying link location doesn't help...
    But wondering if it's at my side. Anyone else have that issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Suckit wrote: »
    They show up as either broken links, or blank posts. Quoting them or copying link location doesn't help...

We can't all be that lucky :D

Works for me on a PC (win 10 and chrome).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Suckit wrote: »
    my3cents wrote: »

I can't see anything from boombang or phelant. Just blank posts that seem to be getting likes.

giphy.gif?cid=790b761176c2b78cbc0c024ccbd41f08f78dab530852866c&rid=giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

my3cents wrote: »

I can't see anything from boombang or phelant. Just blank posts that seem to be getting likes.

I think my issue is my VPN. But only on some Countries, most pages load fine, but some are really slow to load if they load at all. I'll be firing them an email to find out what's going on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sometimes it's an issue with browsers, sometimes with ad-blockers/ page security. Have you guys tried accessing them from a different device?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

That photo was posted ages ago in Reddit and the guys were identified so I'm not sure what's funny about it? :o

What is this reddit you speak of?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What is this reddit you speak of?
    It's like boards but more Americany. Imagine After Hours, but fewer posts about travellers and the dole, and more about police/school shootings and PewDiePie. Pictures of the Cliffs of Moher and Michael D Higgins with his dogs are weirdly popular and reposted almost weekly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

*WHOOSH!*

SirChenjin wrote: »
    That photo was posted ages ago in Reddit and the guys were identified so I'm not sure what's funny about it? :o
    The internet never forgets, frequent flashbacks will haunt them forever.
    dont-post-it.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The internet never forgets, frequent flashbacks will haunt them forever.
    What goes on tour stays on tour

What goes on the internet ...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

9023_5a4a_500.jpeg

What am I missing here?

• Advertisement

NBTD wrote: »
    What am I missing here?
    The glass table top has smashed.

Advertisement