Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland have a drug problem or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Shoelaces wrote: »
    Not even slightly. Heroin figures have steadily dropped and we have next to no use of crack in the country thank jaysus. As for Coke, its used but not on the 70% in a pub (ha!) some lad was saying above. Drugs are there but its not INCREDIBLY easy to get them. Only so much to go around once it finally reaches this part of Europe.

You are very very very wrong about the crack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Bars? How American of you. Guess you don’t live in Dublin either do you. I was in the pub last night and there was lads in their 60s in sniffing away. Groups of young lads going in together and sniffing away. So yes I reckon about 70% of people do it in a pub.

70% is a ridiculous figure.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

70% is a ridiculous figure.

Go to any pub in Dublin and you’ll agree with me. Go even during the week. It’s feckin rampant. There are lads outside my pub most nights waiting for others to buy off them. Blatantly obvious that they’re doing it. It’s ridiculous. Guess the garda are too busy checking our tax discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭howsitgoingboy

Sleepy wrote: »
    Our main problem with most drugs is that we allow illegal drug dealers to sell them instead of legalising them and reaping the taxation benefits. I'm a 38 year old man, if I want to smoke a bit of marijuana that shouldn't be anyone else's business unless I get behind the wheel of a car whilst under the influence (or similar).
    Is getting 'high' not the point of smoking the stuff?

Yes i'd assume so. But 'a bit' could be just a puff of a joint. That's what i was wondering. Surely getting high would lead you to not being in control of some of your actions? therefore that's why it shouldn't be legalized.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Tiguan Joe

No.Not at all.The war on drugs solved that problem.

• Advertisement

Yes i'd assume so. But 'a bit' could be just a puff of a joint. That's what i was wondering. Surely getting high would lead you to not being in control of some of your actions? therefore that's why it shouldn't be legalized.

Well it leaves people in much more control of their actions than alcohol does. I think it should be legalised and regulated like alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

greenspurs wrote: »
    I think youre just here to declare you take drugs ? Because most of the rest of your posts don't make sense, and aren't realistic !!

Well, it's more a case of how I know what I know, than a case of what I do.

It also amazes me how my posts only ever "not make sense" to people who never do drugs. Strange one that...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

They're dead right though, I've seen a number of different friend groups grow up through college (in the last 5 years) and the go to were cheaper drugs like E's, Ket and MDMA, as it was muck cheap.

These same groups now have moved on to Coke because they can afford it with full time jobs.

Times are changing , the older teens are into now as i said just google teen arrested Dublin for coke you'd be there for a month reading cases,

Some people here where saying about the expensive of it,
    It'll no doubt go the way of Liverpool , Manchester and lots of England ,where people gladly sell bags for 20 pounds, as that's what the younger crowd want as it more affordable

As country its better to take the stand that there is a problem and it is rampant its the only way that anything will be done about it,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Same can be said about alcohol though. When drunk you’re not fully aware of your actions. Do we ban the hooch now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

Bars? How American of you. Guess you don’t live in Dublin either do you. I was in the pub last night and there was lads in their 60s in sniffing away. Groups of young lads going in together and sniffing away. So yes I reckon about 70% of people do it in a pub.

Maybe I don't go to the **** holes that you do but 70 per cent of every pub in Ireland?? Come on like that is ridiculous. You do realize that's 7 out of 10 people are taking coke. This stat is ridicolous.

What drug are you on now?

• Advertisement

turdball wrote: »
    Maybe I don't go to the **** holes that you do but 70 per cent of every pub in Ireland?? Come on like that is ridiculous.

What drug are you on now?

It's a known fact that 120% of internet statistics are exaggerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Yes of course there’s a drug problem. It’s blatantly obvious. I’d say about 70% of people in a pub at any time is on coke. Weed hash is no longer a massive issue. Coke is the main problem. MDMA is more s country thing. Ketamine is huge among younger groups. 18-25 year olds. Because it’s cheap as ****.
    Speaking from my past as someone that couldn’t go for s pint without cocaine it’s too easy to get and doesn’t take much persuasion to get some.
    So yes we do have s massive drug problem

70%!? Where exactly did you get that figure from?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Well, it's more a case of how I know what I know, than a case of what I do.

It also amazes me how my posts only ever "not make sense" to people who never do drugs. Strange one that...

In fairness, if you live outside the country and you're only potentially trying to access drugs from time to time in Ireland, you're going to have quite a different view of things.

It's pretty easy to access drugs in Dublin, from I'd say mid-teens onwards. Most people (in a boys school anyway) would go to school with someone who sells or at least a few people who know people who sell. If you're on a sports team or have a large enough group of friends outside school, it's going to be even easier.

Yeah, if you're a teenager asking randomers on the street, you're not going to get anything. Even if you ask people who are selling, they often wouldn't sell to young people. It's different though when you have connections that are friends. Same applies for buying smaller amounts or splitting up amounts among a group of friends.

For adults trying to get drugs in Dublin, it just takes a bit of common sense and confidence to be honest, it's really not difficult.

There's lot of substances that are legal that lead you to not being in control of some of your actions. That's a pretty low bar to set when considering legalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Anyone who says we don't, I envy your sheltered life!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

The drug problem in my home town is unbelievable, you'd get a bag of coke here easier than the city centre, every pub toilet cistern is coated in vaseline to try deter would be users.

ya cuz toilets are the only place you can snort a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

hurler32 wrote: »
    Huge problem in rural Ireland with cocaine , travellers mostly selling it , young people with a few drinks been lured into it and hey presto they end up with a cocaine habit and the drug dealers watch the money rolling in as the young persons brain slowly but surely becomes fcuked up and they mess up their education and end up in a dead end job with mental health issues in their 30s ...

Reading too many leaflets.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Amirani wrote: »
    In fairness, if you live outside the country and you're only potentially trying to access drugs from time to time in Ireland, you're going to have quite a different view of things.

It's pretty easy to access drugs in Dublin, from I'd say mid-teens onwards. Most people (in a boys school anyway) would go to school with someone who sells or at least a few people who know people who sell. If you're on a sports team or have a large enough group of friends outside school, it's going to be even easier.

Yeah, if you're a teenager asking randomers on the street, you're not going to get anything. Even if you ask people who are selling, they often wouldn't sell to young people. It's different though when you have connections that are friends. Same applies for buying smaller amounts or splitting up amounts among a group of friends.

For adults trying to get drugs in Dublin, it just takes a bit of common sense and confidence to be honest, it's really not difficult.

I know a little about Dublin as well as I'm back fairly frequently. I tend not to do anything because of cost and most of my time is spent with family. The drug that was claimed to be used is the most expensive (fact) and the hardest to acquire (what I've heard and limited experience). Ultimately, I believe, ease of access depends on what, exactly, one is trying to obtain.

But the point was made that, beacuse someone overheard some teenagers boasting on a football pitch, that must mean loads of teenagers are doing it every weekend. I'm not saying none of them are and I'm not saying its impossible to get, I'm saying is not happening on the scale claimed. Not even close.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,518 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I’ve come to the conclusion that all drugs should be legal. Let them take what they want as long as they have been told the dangers in school and don’t expect my taxation money to fix them afterwards.

Take drugs and become addicted yourself, then fix your own problems yourself afterwards. Don’t expect me to pay for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I’ve come to the conclusion that all drugs should be legal. Let them take what they want as long as they have been told the dangers in school and don’t expect my taxation money to fix them afterwards.

Take drugs and become addicted yourself, then fix your own problems yourself afterwards. Don’t expect me to pay for you.

But I'll just Rob your stuff when you're not home and sell it to make cash to buy more drugs

• Advertisement

But the point was made that, beacuse someone overheard some teenagers boasting on a football pitch, that must mean loads of teenagers are doing it every weekend. I'm not saying none of them are and I'm not saying its impossible to get, I'm saying is not happening on the scale claimed. Not even close.

Agreed. Worth pointing out too; many teenagers aren't always the most reliable storytellers when chatting about the activities they've got up to with their mates!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,518 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

But I'll just Rob your stuff when you're not home and sell it to make cash to buy more drugs

And I’ll pretend I’m not home and blow your balls off when you’re coming in my window. And if I’m not there “I’ll find you ......”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

tbf any drugs in Ireland are ****e quality. Cant imagine any thrill knowing someone to take coke which pretty guaranteed was cut maybe 10 times reaching final destination, and came trough someones rectum at least once.

painkiller usage is very small - given state here didnt hand out for decades like it does in US for every bump and scratch for weeks to no end, and stuff is stupidly expensive.

even habit of weed is overestimated as most will get some crap grade that was prob grown in ****ty conditions and went trough couple extractions before sold on. was it 50quid average for 2-3g last time article was put out, where in US its no more then 20$ for 1g of pure organic stuff, which wont get mixed with ton of tobacco culture which exists here.

final thoughts there are rec users who take smth but they would be more keeping to themselves, some will take shrooms but most of these people would do it in moderation and would have better understanding in what their up to against.

think worst drug is alcohol plenty of puke and underage drinking in Ireland every weekend, yet no one cares to tackle it as a problem, as better to put fear of big MJ into people while tobacco and alcohol industry rakes in billions, everyone's happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just a general Q to your point. I know you said a 'a bit' of marijuana but what about the people who don't want 'a bit' and want more until they're high. Would it not get out of hand a bit? Just being curious.
    Hence why I added the bit about it not being anyone else's business unless I got behind the wheel of a car or similar...

If I want to get high in the comfort of my own home (or more realistically, garden), that's my business. It's no different to someone having a bottle of wine of an evening: a pleasant distraction from the daily grind.

Sure, it might lead to me binge watching crap TV or eating more calories than are healthy but once I'm paying my own way in life or not doing anyone any harm, there's no reason for the state to be involved in that decision (barring perhaps the sensible option to use my desire for thise product to raise some taxation from that activity via VAT / Duty)

scamalert wrote: »
    tbf any drugs in Ireland are ****e quality. Cant imagine any thrill knowing someone to take coke which pretty guaranteed was cut maybe 10 times reaching final destination, and came trough someones rectum at least once.

Actually not true anymore.

I've had friends who take the stuff come back from travelling and have said that a lot of the stuff in Dublin is now on par with the states, which would have it come directly up through South America.

What you've said about weed would have been the case 20 years ago, but the quality is near perfect now, with standards getting lower the less you pay.

The other drugs such as ecstasy are now stronger than ever, with little to no adulterants in them. A lot of these come from the Netherlands, from the same group. Of course there'll always be a bad one here or there.

Online markets have opened the door as well and as one gets taken down, two are opening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I know a little about Dublin as well as I'm back fairly frequently. I tend not to do anything because of cost and most of my time is spent with family. The drug that was claimed to be used is the most expensive (fact) and the hardest to acquire (what I've heard and limited experience). Ultimately, I believe, ease of access depends on what, exactly, one is trying to obtain.

You keep going on about expense
    Literally 40 euro for half a bag and an adult would be off your head for most the night,

Is 40 euro expensive ?

Not overheard its a common enough topic between big groups of 17/18 year old lads in Dublin ,

To say its difficult to get is laughable ,maybe if you live on the out skirts of a town in the country but in Dublin every single 17/18 year old in school would know someone or friends with someone who knows someone selling it ,

Its incredible naive to think there isn't a huge problem with older teens and this drug,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I like a good crossword with my pint but each to their own

That Simplex **** - absolute pure ****ing gateway.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

OMG - you bucked a junkie. Puke :-)

Actually she wasn't on drug's, a vegan yogi :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

Getting Stoned is not like necking 12 pints and a few shots and not been on control of your actions or like been on LSD. You can hold a normal conversation been stoned

Still shouldn’t smoke it before driving though as decrease your reaction speed
    and awareness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

What about benzos? It seems benzos (and downer/depressant drugs) in general like opiates, benzos, GHB, bdz's, are for some reason not as popular here

Advertisement