Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland have a drug problem or not?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,592 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'm not saying none of them are, I'm saying that the idea that it's every weekend is bull****. I'm an adult living in Berlin in full time employment and I have problems sometimes. And that's before we get to the expense part. How is a random 17 year old going to obtain and afford it?! We're talking drugs here. They don't just use a little pocket money and nip down to the local off-license and casually asking someone to nip in and get it for them.

And they certainly are not so careless that they get overheard talking about it!! "Talking openly"...?! That's bull**** right there - and hilariously so!

You really have no clue do you ,

You know the way an adult might drink 12 can's of beer and a teen may only be able for 4 , It's the same thing ,

Lets say a grown adult pays 80/100euro for a bag of coke ,

Many adults would go half's on one, so 40 euro/ 50 euro each and that would do them the night ,

The dealer could sell, 40/50 euro bags if wants,

These are teens they don't need to be speeding a fortune like some coke addicted adult would,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,235 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That's more ecstacy. Although similar, cocaine highs tend to be more intense, much shorter and without the jaw-clenching and MUCH more expensive.

and tend to be in addition to, and not instead of, alcohol. which makes it all the more expensive as you can drink like a fish.

Out of interest, do you have any idea how much a gram of cocaine would actually cost? Care to hazard a guess?

Who says they have to buy a gram ????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

IMO cocaine is everywhere now, and people aren't even trying to hide their use of it.

And they certainly are not so careless that they get overheard talking about it!! "Talking openly"...?! That's bull**** right there - and hilariously so![/QUOTE]

Look go up to a soccer or Gaa training session with 17/18 year olds in Dublin , You'll get a fare fright when you hear what they talk about openly ,

Obviously if there Da is involved in the training session they tend to be quitter but the rest don't care, Plus there not always talking about themselves but other lads from school who aren't always involved in the teams .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Howaya Danny!
    hurler32 wrote: »
    Huge problem in rural Ireland with cocaine , travellers mostly selling it , young people with a few drinks been lured into it and hey presto they end up with a cocaine habit and the drug dealers watch the money rolling in as the young persons brain slowly but surely becomes fcuked up and they mess up their education and end up in a dead end job with mental health issues in their 30s ...
    Most towns and villages have no guards or else the guards are too busy bagging 70 year old women going to mass so the drug dealers are cleaning up and kicking the crap out of if not killing anyone that challenges them .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You really have no clue do you ,

You know the way an adult might drink 12 can's of beer and a teen may only be able for 4 , It's the same thing ,

Lets say a grown adult pays 80/100euro for a bag of coke ,

Many adults would go half's on one, so 40 euro/ 50 euro each and that would do them the night ,

The dealer could sell, 40/50 euro bags if wants,

These are teens they don't need to be speeding a fortune like some coke addicted adult would,

Teenagers actually know and are mindful of their limits with drugs...? That's a new one.
    Who says they have to buy a gram ????

The dealers. They tend to be very strict about that or it's not worth their while. They're also careful about who the sell to and people even close to looking under 18 will be ignored. It's one thing to be caught distributing, it's a whole new ball game if you're caught distributing to a minor. They have enough customers so that they can afford to be choosy who the have nothing to gain from falling into a potential sting operation.

Of course, if could be an older relative obtaining it, but the amount of kids with that kind of access is minimal to say the least and completely rules out them doing it "every weekend".

Your claim falls apart on several aspects: 1) mass access, 2)cost, 3)the idea that you actually overheard them talking about it (not to mention the fact that they were actually telling the truth and not just boasting, and 4) they're responsible with their useage (!!)

Ultimately, it's not easy to get, to use and not cheap to get it for an adult, the idea that most teenagers have it every weekend simpley because you overheard an unlikely conversation completely laughable.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

I dont get,,, if the above is true about all them on cocaine etc and not actually drinking much whats the attraction over drink? Few beers and knakker drinking was good fun. relaxing chilled. Is cocaine not like running around like a looper chewing the jaw of yourself? not exactly my idea of a great weekend after a long stressful working week lol:confused:

Its not really how youve described it. its just a different/better form of high really

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

I was at a party somewhere and coke was going around like cocktail sausages...

I met a lady on a night out in Liscannor and herself and her friends rented a house in North Clare for the weekend.

Most of her friends were paired up,so she asked me would I like to come back to a party.
    I wasn't drinking so I was able to drive us back to the holiday home.

An extremely attractive lady in her mid 40's came up to me within 5 minutes asking me would I like a punch.
    Im totally out of the loop with drug culture and house parties, I'm a bit of a loan wolf.

She had a tiny little spoon, and a bag of coke.
    I declined.
    She was shocked I wouldn't take a "punch" these were all very middle class Dublin people.
    They call coke "Banger"

I could have been a guard, they didn't give a toss.
    I was way out of my league in social status, these people had high end jobs with lots of responsibility. All BMW's and Audi's parked outside.

Anyhow I'm glad I'm not part of the drug or "banger" culture.

They were snorting it like it's as casual as having a mint.

They were nice pleasant people and they were intrigued with the native Clare guy who didn't drink or take drug's.

Each to their own I suppose.

Teenagers actually know and are mindful of their limits with drugs...? That's a new one.

The dealers. They tend to be very strict about that or it's not worth their while. They're also careful about who the sell to and people even close to looking under 18 will be ignored. It's one thing to be caught distributing, it's a whole new ball game if you're caught distributing to a minor. They have enough customers so that they can afford to be choosy who the have nothing to gain from falling into a potential sting operation.

Of course, if could be an older relative obtaining it, but the amount of kids with that kind of access is minimal to say the least and completely rules out them doing it "every weekend".

Your claim falls apart on several aspects: 1) mass access, 2)cost, 3)the idea that you actually overheard them talking about it (not to mention the fact that they were actually telling the truth and not just boasting, and 4) they're responsible with their useage (!!)

Ultimately, it's not easy to get, to use and not cheap to get it for an adult, the idea that most teenagers have it every weekend simpley because you overheard an unlikely conversation completely laughable.

I don't mean to be rude but your clueless,

You've got your opinion of cocaine is from watching some movie from 1970 or something,

What you said is like something the parish nun would tell you in the 80's its so so so wrong ,
    This is the problem most adults have no idea how bad it is,

"They're also careful about who the sell to and people even close to looking under 18 will be ignored " you must be taking the absolute piss , teens sell drugs, a quick google of teen caught selling coke Dublin and hundreds will pop up ,

The cost ? going half on a 1er bag would be 40/50 euro once a week , ?

As I said get yourself up to a Soccer or GGA training session with late teen's and prepare for shock if you think they don't talk ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Muckka wrote: »
    I was at a party somewhere and coke was going around like cocktail sausages...

I met a lady on a night out in Liscannor and herself and her friends rented a house in North Clare for the weekend.

Most of her friends were paired up,so she asked me would I like to come back to a party.
    I wasn't drinking so I was able to drive us back to the holiday home.

An extremely attractive lady in her mid 40's came up to me within 5 minutes asking me would I like a punch.
    Im totally out of the loop with drug culture and house parties, I'm a bit of a loan wolf.

She had a tiny little spoon, and a bag of coke.
    I declined.
    She was shocked I wouldn't take a "punch" these were all very middle class Dublin people.
    They call coke "Banger"

I could have been a guard, they didn't give a toss.
    I was way out of my league in social status, these people had high end jobs with lots of responsibility. All BMW's and Audi's parked outside.

Anyhow I'm glad I'm not part of the drug or "banger" culture.

They were snorting it like it's as casual as having a mint.

They were nice pleasant people and they were intrigued with the native Clare guy who didn't drink or take drug's.

Each to their own I suppose.

But....did you get your hole or not?

I don't mean to be rude but your clueless,

You've got your opinion of cocaine is from watching some movie from 1970 or something,

What you said is like something the parish nun would tell you in the 80's its so so so wrong ,
    This is the problem most adults have no idea how bad it is,

"They're also careful about who the sell to and people even close to looking under 18 will be ignored " you must be taking the absolute piss , teens sell drugs, a quick google of teen caught selling coke Dublin and hundreds will pop up ,

The cost ? going half on a 1er bag would be 40/50 euro once a week , ?

As I said get yourself up to a Soccer or GGA training session with late teen's and prepare for shock if you think they don't talk ,

I live in Berlin and have access to it. I could get it when I'm back in Dublin, I don't because it's too expensive (try 60-80 euro - but full disclosure: that wasn't recent. Can't imagine it's gone down though) and the guy doesn't know me well enough. Far cry from what an 80s nun or 70s movie would tell me (which, even if you were correct, would not be even close to these sources would tell me (nuns used scare-tactics, I believe it's hyperbolic; and 70s movies glamourised the sale, I'm saying they're ultra-careful and realistic) so what nuns you knew and what movies you watched, once can only guess.

BBuuuut - you overheard a coversation between some teenagers on a GAA pitch and that's enough to claim everyone else is cluless...??

Also, while hiding behind the "clueless" ad homeinem, you haven't countered the flaws in your story that I highlighted:
    our claim falls apart on several aspects: 1) mass access, 2)cost, 3)the idea that you actually overheard them talking about it (not to mention the fact that they were actually telling the truth and not just boasting, and 4) they're responsible with their useage (!!).

Care to try again, this time addressing the content?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

But....did you get your hole or not?

Of course, sure I did.
    Nothing better than being a novelty, I was intrigued with them as much as they me.

I live in Berlin and have access to it. I could get it when I'm back in Dublin, I don't because it's too expensive (try 60-80 euro - but full disclosure: that wasn't recent. Can't imagine it's gone down though) and the guy doesn't know me well enough. Far cry from what an 80s nun or 70s movie would tell me (which, even if you were correct, would not be even close to these sources would tell me. Nuns used scare-tactics; 70s movies glamourised it).

BBuuuut - you overheard a coversation between some teenagers on a GAA pitch and that's enough to claim everyone else is cluless...??

Also, you haven't countered the flaws in your story that I highlighted:

Care to try again, this time addressing the content instead of bailing out on an ad homeinem?

I'll say it again you are totally clueless,

Adults share a 1er bag so that 40 /50 euro , Can a teen not afford 40 euro at a weekend ? Dealers can break a bag down to whatever price they want to sell it ,

You seem to think theses teens are buying it of drug kingpin's themselves ,
    There buying it off other teens and lads in there early 20's who don't give a crap were the money comes form as long as they have the cash to pay off the next person in the chain

Did you use your google, There are teens getting caught selling Heroin let alone coke, .

There are no flaws in the story its obvious you are totally unaware of what goes on in the City you lived in ,

Drugs especially cocaine are rampant in Ireland, its a FACT bury your head in the sand all you want ,

Care to try again, this time addressing the content?
    I'll say it again you are totally clueless,

Adults share a 1er bag so that 40 /50 euro , Can a teen not afford 40 euro at a weekend ? Dealers can break a bag down to whatever price they want to sell it ,

You seem to think theses teens are buying it of drug kingpin's themselves ,
    There buying it off other teens and lads in there early 20's who don't give a crap were the money comes form as long as they have the cash to pay off the next person in the chain

Did you use your google, There are teens getting caught selling Heroin let alone coke, .

There are no flaws in the story its obvious you are totally unaware of what goes on in the City you lived in ,

Drugs especially cocaine are rampant in Ireland, its a FACT bury your head in the sand all you want ,

Another ad homeinem. Guess you don't care to try again, then.

Another ad homeinem. Guess you don't, then.

Its freighting how unware people are,

You didn't answer any of my question

Could a 17/18 teen not afford 40 euro on a weekend ?
    Did you use your google machine there and just have look at the ages of dealers being caught daily ?

Have you ever been around a large group of 17-18 lads from Dublin , Cork wherever do you honestly think they would be shy about talking about the local going on's ?

You think drugs are hard to get in Dublin , im not joking when i say one text into a wat's ap group for these teens and they would be sorted,

It's a horrible cancer on our society and its a scary place to raise kids in as if we keep sticking our heads in the sand like yourself there, it will only get worse,
    As a parent it worries me greatly for my own kids when they are late teens in school but hopefully the fact im not blissfully ignorant of it may help me steer them away form it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭enricoh

No offence princess consuela but u haven't a clue.
    U can get 4 e's for a tenner where i am, god only knows whats in them. All the new designer drugs dirt cheap too.
    Difficult to get - hilarious, harder for a 15 year old to get cans than drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Shoelaces wrote: »
    Not even slightly. Heroin figures have steadily dropped and we have next to no use of crack in the country thank jaysus. As for Coke, its used but not on the 70% in a pub (ha!) some lad was saying above. Drugs are there but its not INCREDIBLY easy to get them. Only so much to go around once it finally reaches this part of Europe.

Guess you don’t live in Dublin then do you

Guess you don’t live in Dublin then do you

I refuse to believe someone is that far from reality
    I think she is just arguing for the sake of arguing .

The line about a drug dealer wouldn't sell to someone who looks under 18 is taking the absolute mick ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

The vast majority of people's heroes are on drugs

Johnny cash, eminem, chill peppers and the Beatles are my favourite artists. Every type of drug.

I like the rock. Christian bale. Steroids.

I listen to a bit of joe rogan podcasts. Loads of drugs.

The vast majority of international reality tv stars use or used drugs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

Coke is not the choice for younger people. Ketamine,Speed(horrible drug) and the number one drugs ecstacy and Weed.

And about people talking about it openly on a sports team, doesn't happen.

Coke is more of a drug for the middle class, it's not abused as much as pills and Ketamine by younger people

And 70% of people in bars are on coke? Haha,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Muckka wrote: »
    Of course, sure I did.
    Nothing better than being a novelty, I was intrigued with them as much as they me.

OMG - you bucked a junkie. Puke :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Our main problem with most drugs is that we allow illegal drug dealers to sell them instead of legalising them and reaping the taxation benefits. I'm a 38 year old man, if I want to smoke a bit of marijuana that shouldn't be anyone else's business unless I get behind the wheel of a car whilst under the influence (or similar).

turdball wrote: »
    Coke is not the choice for younger people. Ketamine,Speed(horrible drug) and the number one drugs ecstacy and Weed.

Coke is more of a drug for the middle class, it's not abused as much as pills and Ketamine by younger people

" Coke is more of a drug for the middle class " 1990 is that you ?

enricoh wrote: »
    No offence princess consuela but u haven't a clue.
    U can get 4 e's for a tenner where i am, god only knows whats in them. All the new designer drugs dirt cheap too.
    Difficult to get - hilarious, harder for a 15 year old to get cans than drugs.

Not doubting the first bit - E is much cheaper and much easier to get that cocaine. I'd rather pay more though, than buy something when "God only knows what;s in them".

The last part is is bull**** though. Why the hell would someone risk jail and **** knows what else to sell at "dirt cheap" prices...?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭howsitgoingboy

Sleepy wrote: »
    Our main problem with most drugs is that we allow illegal drug dealers to sell them instead of legalising them and reaping the taxation benefits. I'm a 38 year old man, if I want to smoke a bit of marijuana that shouldn't be anyone else's business unless I get behind the wheel of a car whilst under the influence (or similar).

Just a general Q to your point. I know you said a 'a bit' of marijuana but what about the people who don't want 'a bit' and want more until they're high. Would it not get out of hand a bit? Just being curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

" Coke is more of a drug for the middle class " 1990 is that you ?

They're dead right though, I've seen a number of different friend groups grow up through college (in the last 5 years) and the go to were cheaper drugs like E's, Ket and MDMA, as it was muck cheap.

These same groups now have moved on to Coke because they can afford it with full time jobs.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

turdball wrote: »

Bars? How American of you. Guess you don’t live in Dublin either do you. I was in the pub last night and there was lads in their 60s in sniffing away. Groups of young lads going in together and sniffing away. So yes I reckon about 70% of people do it in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Just a general Q to your point. I know you said a 'a bit' of marijuana but what about the people who don't want 'a bit' and want more until they're high. Would it not get out of hand a bit? Just being curious.

Is getting 'high' not the point of smoking the stuff?

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Not doubting the first bit - E is much cheaper and much easier to get that cocaine. I'd rather pay more though, than buy something when "God only knows what;s in them".

The last part is is bull**** though. Why the hell would someone risk jail and **** knows what else to sell at "dirt cheap" prices...?

I think youre just here to declare you take drugs ? Because most of the rest of your posts don't make sense, and aren't realistic !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Advertisement