Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MotCE - To the Lakes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

sullivlo wrote: »
    Aurora ordered a double espresso, and glanced at the pamphlet of books. Nothing jumped out at her, so she considered trying to catch the eye of the stranger reading a few seats down, perhaps to start a conversation about his book.

Jacques notices one of the other passengers looking at him, or more accurately his book, so he drains his tea and goes over to spark up a conversation. "Have you read this fine tale?" He asks the lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

The lady seems to be fidgeting with something upon his arrival but he doesn't get a clear look at what exactly it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Alexander takes a stroll to see if he can identify his target. He passes by a closed cabin door, the shutters down, noticing the large and rather ugly man loitering and doing a poor job of looking casual. From his mannerism Alexander realizes the man is military trained. Alexander pretends to go further up the train to the drinks carriage, returning to see the man still there, confirming the suspicion that he is no mere loiterer - a guard, posted in plainclothes but uncomfortable enough to be obvious. Alexander uses the bottle of wine and glass in his hand as an excuse to squeeze by the man, sizing him up. About six foot tall, almost as wide, with a pistol kept in his inside pocket. Not built for speed necessarily, but definitely powerful. A pungent stink of stale sweat and cheap hooker comes off the man, and up close the warts on his squished in nose make him if anything uglier. Alexander wonders if whoever he is guarding might be of interest.

Alexander moves back towards his cabin, noting the passengers as he goes. One catches his eye, a young lady fumbling with an unmistakably broken USB key. She’s too open about it to be a spy, playing with it in plain sight. Who is she then? Another question to answer. Alexander laughs to himself- good luck with the layers of encryption even if you manage to fix the shattered flash memory and remove the unfortunate remnants of someone’s vindaloo that were in the toilet bowl.

Alexander catches the young ladies eye and gives her a small smile. Her own expression turns to one of realization. He considers that a conversation may be needed later in the day- the girl is pretty and reminds him of Svetlana - ah Svetlana, even thinking of her brings the pain back..... He notes also the traveling companion. A smallish man with a look that’s a cross between a librarian and a policeman, an immaculate three piece suit worn elegantly. The man is idly reading his paper and Alexander shuffles back to his cabin, his limp seeming more pronounced for the cold and the memories of Svetlana.

In his cabin he considers his own traveling companion briefly. And who are you underneath it all he wonders....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

[OOC: do we all have smartphones? Heta needs to get online but I just wanna be sure I'd have access to it]

Meryl settles into her seat and waits for the attendant to come along to request some water. Her head is throbbing and she needs to take some tablets.

She thinks back to the hospital and the doctors wanting her to stay in there. But she’d had dreams/flashbacks (she couldn’t tell which) of this train station, the time and The Canadian Express. She had to leave. The pain of not knowing who she was was worse than the physical pain in her head.

The attendant arrived. “May I have some water, please? Oh, and make it sparkling”.
    “Well, you know what type of water you like” she thought to herself. “That’s a start”.

She took her tablets and closed her eyes ready for a sleep. She thought back to the ticket area of the concourse and the people that looked vaguely familiar. Hopefully her dreams would provide another piece of the puzzle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

(OOC - is editing posts allowed?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

(OOC - is editing posts allowed?)
    OOC: Yes, it's usually no problem. If you're going to make a change to something that I or others have acted off just explain the edit first before making it. However if it's something that nobody else has used, you can just go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭opentarget

(OOC, Sorry im late to the train, I guess most have boarded the train on time, ill attempt to write my lateness into my first post)

Eli wakes up as the sun light hits his face through a crack in the his blinds.
    Slowly he stretch's and stumbles over his gym gear to the kitchen, making up a french press full of tar like coffee.

That sparing session must have taken a tole, he feels like he has been through 100 rounds with a rhino...but he cant be showing weakness in front of these young upstarts in the gym...he has a reputation to keep up.

How long was he out he wonders, he feels groggy and overslept, his head pounding.
    Getting the coffee into him heads towards the bathroom, only to spot a file has been slipped under his door.

A confidential file from HAMMER his new employer. He has another coffee and sits down with the file.
    He reads through and sees that Sasuke will be aboard a train and has a hit on him and Eli is charged with bringing in the assassin...all very straight forward.

He scans the rest and his ticket falls out, he picks it up only to notice the boarding time....hours ago! He spits out his coffee and jumps up in a panic.

Dashing about the place stuffing some essentials into a bag and dressing himself, his head pounding.
    His med bag and some cloths for various occasions, god knows if hes got a matching outfit in there
    This is not a good start to a mission.

He runs out the door cursing as the door closes behind him as he realizes he forgot his gun, he roots for his keys only to find hes locked out.
    Great he thinks....he roots again in his pockets for the keys and is greeted by the comforting outline of his knuckleduster...that will have to do, he was a terrible shot with a gun anyway.

He runs out the apartment rudely dismissing the old lady down the hall who asked had he seen her cat MooMoo....MooMoo has been dead for years.

Thinking as he enters the street and a cab passes, he hails it down and hops in pulling out a map to see if he can intercept the train and get on at a later stop.

The cab driver asks "where to"

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    [OOC: do we all have smartphones? Heta needs to get online but I just wanna be sure I'd have access to it]
    OOC: Yeah, you have a smartphone if you want

Heta takes a sip and sighs, 'oh that just hits the spot, thank you sir. I didn't catch your name?'
    "Steven Miss" he says with a nervous smile.

• Advertisement

Alexander considers his options. With very little to go on about bloodroot, the biotech executive seems a better starting point. Are the two linked? Who knows but at some point Alexander will need to piece it together if he’s to succeed. First things first, snoop around fawkes. A slight display of queasiness for his traveling companion allows Alexander to feign travel sickness and leave the confines of his booth....for a slightly open window situated conveniently close, but not too close, to the closed booth and guard. Even turned slightly away a discreetly angled phone camera allows Alexander to watch while availing of “fresh air”

[ooc: can I assume my contact was able to give similar levels of detail re fawkes as Hetas, I.e. bio, pics, carriage he’s traveling in etc.]

She took her tablets and closed her eyes ready for a sleep. She thought back to the ticket area of the concourse and the people that looked vaguely familiar. Hopefully her dreams would provide another piece of the puzzle.
    Meryl stands on a bridge overlooking a river? An ocean?

Three men with rifles aim at her.

"Not this way G7" the tallest of the men shouts.

She's hit...she falls slowly into the...

"Water Miss, you asked for sparkling water?" an attendant stands over her with a forced smile on her face.

Fourier wrote: »
    "Steven Miss" he says with a nervous smile.

'Steven, it;s so nice to meet you, I hope we'll become bosom buddies during the trip.' She winks at him shamelessly.
    'Speaking of friends, a good friend of mine is supposed to be travelling on this train too, would you be able to find out which cabin he's in for me? The silly forgot to tell me before we left. His name is also Stephen. Stephen Fawkes. I want to surprise him.'

opentarget wrote: »
    The cab driver asks "where to"
    After hearing his situation, well the train he needs to catch, the cab driver heads as quick as he can to the station and arrives at the next stop, a small pick up station just outside Toronto. The train has yet to get here.

"Good luck pal" he says and Eli sees the station all but empty except for himself and an older couple.

From the giant train brochure they have out they're obviously heading on the same train as him.

She decided to try occupy herself for a brief time, by trying to fix the usb and see what someone didn’t want anyone to know.
    The USB seems to be thoroughly crushed, little hope of retrieving the data, not to speak of the water damage to the circuitry.

tritium wrote: »
    Alexander considers his options. With very little to go on about bloodroot, the biotech executive seems a better starting point. Are the two linked? Who knows but at some point Alexander will need to piece it together if he’s to succeed. First things first, snoop around fawkes. A slight display of queasiness for his traveling companion allows Alexander to feign travel sickness and leave the confines of his booth....for a slightly open window situated conveniently close, but not too close, to the closed booth and guard. Even turned slightly away a discreetly angled phone camera allows Alexander to watch while availing of “fresh air”

[ooc: can I assume my contact was able to give similar levels of detail re fawkes as Hetas, I.e. bio, pics, carriage he’s traveling in etc.]
    OOC: Yep that's correct

Fawkes's booth remains closed with little activity, except for a change of guard after about ten minutes. A much leaner man with a fighter's build takes the previous one's place.

'Steven, it;s so nice to meet you, I hope we'll become bosom buddies during the trip.' She winks at him shamelessly.
    'Speaking of friends, a good friend of mine is supposed to be travelling on this train too, would you be able to find out which cabin he's in for me? The silly forgot to tell me before we left. His name is also Stephen. Stephen Fawkes. I want to surprise him.'
    "He's in the closed booth Miss, 67A. It's back up that way"

He points toward carriage 3.

"You'll need to head through that carriage and then you'll see it in Carriage two"

After hearing his situation, well the train he needs to catch, the cab driver heads as quick as he can to the station and arrives at the next stop, a small pick up station just outside Toronto. The train has yet to get here.

"Good luck pal" he says and Eli sees the station all but empty except for himself and an older couple.

From the giant train brochure they have out they're obviously heading on the same train as him.

Eli looks around the small station hoping for a cafe, much to his dismay.
    His stomach rumbles catching the attention of the older couple.
    Eli asks "I hope your brochure has a menu..."
    After a less than satisfactory response Eli wonders if perhaps one of this older couple could be the dreaded Bloodroot...or maybe both Blood //Root!? He steps back and keeps an eye on the couple, will they do anything out of the ordinary.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Otto opens his eyes and realises that he's been snoozing. For how long, he wonders? He looks out the window to gauge the time of day. He notices the lady that had been sitting opposite has now left. He does however notice that she has left behind one of her sleek silk silver gloves.

He winds his watch, an ancient gift that had once belonged to his grandfather, and ponders whether he's hungry enough to find the dinner carriage.

(OOC: does this take place in real-time? ie, is it about 24 hours since yesterday? Is it evening time as it is is now in RL. Or do I gauge from others' posts what day and time it is?)

Outside the lobby a huge jeep pulls in and a man in shades and crocodile boots leaps out, handing a Fosters to the chauffeur.

He strides confidently into the lobby bare chested save his short jacket is open, the golden tanned skin beneath attracting a few eyes.

He doesn't need a ticket handed to him...he printed it out at home.

Christopher steps onto the Third Carriage and is directed to his seat.

• Advertisement

OOC: Yep that's correct

Fawkes's booth remains closed with little activity, except for a change of guard after about ten minutes. A much leaner man with a fighter's build takes the previous one's place.

Alexander quickly does the maths in his head to work out the likely cycle for the guard roster. He commits the two faces to memory. He’ll watch a little longer and then work out a schedule to check how many guards are there and their frequency of change. A quick feigned retch out the window for effect buys him a little longer.

"He's in the closed booth Miss, 67A. It's back up that way"

He points toward carriage 3.

"You'll need to head through that carriage and then you'll see it in Carriage two"

'You are such a sweetheart, I owe you one'

Heta does some quick research on Fawkes before making her way towards carriage 2.

opentarget wrote: »
    Eli looks around the small station hoping for a cafe, much to his dismay.
    His stomach rumbles catching the attention of the older couple.
    Eli asks "I hope your brochure has a menu..."
    After a less than satisfactory response Eli wonders if perhaps one of this older couple could be the dreaded Bloodroot...or maybe both Blood //Root!? He steps back and keeps an eye on the couple, will they do anything out of the ordinary.
    The couple seem to also keep an eye on Eli, his height at over 6' 6'' and large frame gives the woman an idea.

"You wouldn't carry our bags honey, when the train gets here?"

OOC: Your big build is from your Strength 10

quickbeam wrote: »
    (OOC: does this take place in real-time? ie, is it about 24 hours since yesterday? Is it evening time as it is is now in RL. Or do I gauge from others' posts what day and time it is?)
    OOC: Gauge from others and myself. It can be hard to tell sometimes so ask me for clarification, but basically the train hasn't left yet and only about 30-40 minutes has passed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Otto is pleased to learn that his snooze wasn't so long as to disturb his chance of sleeping that night.

On the other hand, if he runs in to the lady with the missing gloves, maybe he won't be getting much sleep at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Aurora is getting frustrated with the USB. She has seen one similar before - perhaps at a conference - but she can’t place it. Despite her valient efforts, it was not possible for her to un-mangle it, so the potential “thrill of the chase” she had planned on amusing herself with would not come to fruition.

Defeated, but not deflated, she turned her attention back to the stranger reading in her carriage, and immediately tried to figure him out. What was his story.

She perused others in the carriage, and regretted not booking first class. She saw a stunning man board the train, however he was further along. She contemplated going for a wander, but decided to engage her carriage mate in conversation first:

“Business or pleasure? I’m Aurora by the way”

The couple seem to also keep an eye on Eli, his height at over 6' 6'' and large frame gives the woman an idea.

"You wouldn't carry our bags honey, when the train gets here?"

OOC: Your big build is from your Strength 10

"Of course madam, it would be my pleasure.I wonder are we staying in the same carriage?"
    Eli presents his ticket and shows the lady.

Eli says "I have been looking forward to this trip for such a long time...is this your first time? perhaps an Aniversary?"

An announcement is made over the intercom.

"WE'RE ABOUT TO HEAD OFF LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. PLEASE ENJOY YOUR TRIP ON THE EXPRESS!"

The train heads off to a smooth start.

tritium wrote: »
    Alexander quickly does the maths in his head to work out the likely cycle for the guard roster. He commits the two faces to memory. He’ll watch a little longer and then work out a schedule to check how many guards are there and their frequency of change. A quick feigned retch out the window for effect buys him a little longer.
    He continues waiting....

OOC: Just saying that by the time the train leaves he has yet to see a full cycle of guards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Christopher flops into his assigned seat before taking a quick (and very non-chalant) look around the carriage.

He cracks one of the two remaining cans from his six pack (1 to the chaffeur, 3 already drank) and proceeds to down the can in one fluid, uninterrupted motion.

Once that has been completed, he repeats the process with the final can.

Smacking his lips at the beery taste of the cans, he calls over one of the people working for the train company.

'Beer?' he asks jovially.

Advertisement