Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

No shortage of Garavogue water this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Why does Ray have jockeys on his radio/TV show but still won't introduce the racing from Cheltenham?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I'd say at the family meeting that it was decided for him by Jenny mutually agreed that Michael Jackson was now a bad man. Knowing Ray, he will be back playing Michael Jackson records this time next year - he's never been a man to stick with his convictions

ya, didn't he say he'd leave the country if enda kenny became taoiseach??

he just goes with the flow...he's our Oprah

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

sligojoek wrote: »
    No shortage of Garavogue water this evening.

Short and Garavogue belong in the same sentence :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

To be fair to D'arcy, at least he is taking a stand. He will have to be consistent about it, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Why does Ray have jockeys on his radio/TV show but still won't introduce the racing from Cheltenham?

He also looks to talk to shops that sell large winning lotto tickets. But I forgot the lotto isn't gambling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

They had the radio on today in the office, and there it was - an advertisement for Boyle Sports, in the middle of the Ray D'Arcy radio show. Now I frequently think that I'm just after waking up in an actual parallel universe these days, so maybe some might be able to correct me. Is this not the same self righteous, pontificating, man that went on numerous rants about the dangers of gambling in the past 18 months?

What an absolute f**king hypocrite the man is. I bet his fridge is full of donuts and ice cream as well. He has no license or no credibility to lecture the Irish people on any topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

mzungu wrote: »
    To be fair to D'arcy, at least he is taking a stand. He will have to be consistent about it, though.

Taking a stand ? Pfft.
    Like his stand on leaving the country if Enda was made Taoiseach ? :pac:

Talking out through both sides of his mouth,you mean.

Typical RTE double standards crap.

Darcy was lauding the postman (Tony 10) who gambled millions. He also chases lotto winners for interviews. He has an agenda and it's sickeningly unprofessional.

Em em ,sugar is bad for ya,em,eat your porridge and don't gamble,em em. Go for a run if your are tempted to gamble. Em em.

Fcuk off Darcy. :(

They had the radio on today in the office, and there it was - an advertisement for Boyle Sports, in the middle of the Ray D'Arcy radio show.
    in fairness, I don't think broadcasters have any involvement with (or prior knowledge of) advertisements that happen during their broadcasts. In fact, given that RTÉ is a national broadcaster, I doubt it would be legal for a broadcaster to impose his or her personal restrictions.

Having said that, and as other posters have mentioned, it's clearly irrational how Ray D'Arcy rails against gambling but is is keen to pursue lottery winners and anyone associated with them.

in fairness, I don't think broadcasters have any involvement with (or prior knowledge of) advertisements that happen during their broadcasts. In fact, given that RTÉ is a national broadcaster, I doubt it

I can't buy that. It's his name on the tin. Surely if you were taking responsibility and backing up what you said there would be no grey area, you would be saying this 90 minutes has my name on it and there will be no promotion of gambling during this time. Could you imagine what D'Arcy himself would be saying about it if he was still on Today FM and still giving out about the national broadcaster. He would not be separating the show's presenter from the very prominent advertisement.

People need to know that this man who RTE have given the license to lectures us all on how to live our lives is a complete fraud and does not live by the high ideals that he sets for other people.

Oh ffs, I'm angry again, and now I'm going to bed angry, which means I'll wake up angry, and then I'll hear Ray D'arcy tomorrow.. :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Uncharted wrote: »
    Taking a stand ? Pfft.
    Like his stand on leaving the country if Enda was made Taoiseach ? :pac:

Talking out through both sides of his mouth,you mean.

Typical RTE double standards crap.

Darcy was lauding the postman (Tony 10) who gambled millions. He also chases lotto winners for interviews. He has an agenda and it's sickeningly unprofessional.

Em em ,sugar is bad for ya,em,eat your porridge and don't gamble,em em. Go for a run if your are tempted to gamble. Em em.

Fcuk off Darcy. :(

I am prepared to take him at his word and see if he is a new man, so to speak (channelling Joe). If this just happens to be a passing fad with him, then he is indeed a spoofer. But from here on in if he genuinely (I'm channelling Miriam now) backs off on interviewing lotto winners and is consistent with his anti gambling stance, the I would say fair play to him.

The media game he is in makes it difficult to make any kind of a stand. Which is why I am surprised he did. What's happening with him may very well be like when people become vegan for a few months after seeing a documentary on how food is made. Then that all goes out the window next time they step into McDonalds. Time will tell.

I will give D'arcy a chance to show his sincerity.

I can't buy that. It's his name on the tin. Surely if you were taking responsibility and backing up what you said there would be no grey area, you would be saying this 90 minutes has my name on it and there will be no promotion of gambling during this time. Could you imagine what D'Arcy himself would be saying about it if he was still on Today FM and still giving out about the national broadcaster. He would not be separating the show's presenter from the very prominent advertisement.

People need to know that this man who RTE have given the license to lectures us all on how to live our lives is a complete fraud and does not live by the high ideals that he sets for other people.

Oh ffs, I'm angry again, and now I'm going to bed angry, which means I'll wake up angry, and then I'll hear Ray D'arcy tomorrow.. :mad::mad::mad:

You're a big fan of D'arcy I take it? :D

mzungu wrote: »
    I am prepared to take him at his word and see if he is a new man, so to speak (channelling Joe). If this just happens to be a passing fad with him, then he is indeed a spoofer. But from here on in if he genuinely (I'm channelling Miriam now) backs off on interviewing lotto winners and is consistent with his anti gambling stance, the I would say fair play to him.

The media game he is in makes it difficult to make any kind of a stand. I think this might be like when people become vegan for a few months after seeing a documentary on how food is made. Then that all goes out the window next time they step into McDonalds.

I will give D'arcy a chance to show his sincerity.

Wow !! <said in Duffyesque high pitched voice>

I can only respond by saying that I respect your public display of naivety.

* No offence intended btw.

Uncharted wrote: »
    Wow !! <said in Duffyesque high pitched voice>

I can only respond by saying that I respect your public display of naivety.

* No offence intended btw.

None taken. :D

I'm no fan of gambling myself, but if someone else wants to do it, off with them. I actually enjoy the athmosphere around racing. Today's stunt by him was like a little spoilt child. He had his rant about being shoved into a tiny studio. So what. How big does the studio have to be? There's just him and the mic. He drew out the interview with a guy who was on Countdown yesterday till the ad break. We came back to a race (The feature race of the day if I'm not mistaken) that was already on. No intro. No telling us the runners and riders. As soon as the race was over there was an ad for Boyle sports, then straight back to Ray. Any producer worth their salt would have been in his ear telling him to wind down sooner. Maybe they did and he ignored it.

I dunno, I dunno.

As I said earlier he should shag off for the week and let someone with a bit of charisma do the show.

he should shag off FOREVER and let someone with a bit of charisma do the show.

FYP :)

Short and Garavogue belong in the same sentence :)

The Garavogue river or the Garavogue pub? I've no intention of going into either any time soon. :D

The Garavogue river or the Garavogue pub? I've no intention of going into either any time soon. :D

Fookin River. Didn't know about the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

in fairness, I don't think broadcasters have any involvement with (or prior knowledge of) advertisements that happen during their broadcasts. In fact, given that RTÉ is a national broadcaster, I doubt it would be legal for a broadcaster to impose his or her personal restrictions.

Having said that, and as other posters have mentioned, it's clearly irrational how Ray D'Arcy rails against gambling but is is keen to pursue lottery winners and anyone associated with them.

When there are features on the show like horse racing the advertising sellers will ring up companies that have an interest in the topic and sell advertising to them directly on that basis.

As such the broadcaster would be aware that it is entirely likely indeed highly probable that there will be related ads.

This is why there are frequently ads on RTE related to the topics being featured, in between ads for other RTE ventures of course.

There used to be a lad around here that knew the machinations of it all and would educate us so to speak

As I said earlier he should shag off for the week and let someone with a bit of charisma do the show.

I said this last year Joe, but how did all this stuff not come up when he was doing the interview for taking the job with RTE. He had a problem with handing over to the Nuacht being on at 3.30pm (so they moved it for him), he now seems to still have a problem with handing over to them at 4pm, he wont present the horseracing. All of these things Derek Mooney did with professional and in an obliging manner. All of these things should surely have been decided on when his contract was being negotiated.

• Advertisement

Exactly

Em em em ....... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

3,000 chickens in a shed is not replicated in nature as far as I know. He was probably picked and clawed to death...poor f****r.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ray if women didn't drink a man like yourself would never get sex

• Registered Users Posts: 19,968 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

sadly I'll miss his interview with the German Shepherd today :(

2smiggy wrote: »
    sadly I'll miss his interview with the German Shepherd today :(

Do you want me to tape it for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

cnutfunadoo?:D

Ray if women didn't drink a man like yourself would never get sex

Ill probably get a ban for sniggering at that one :)

Do you want me to tape it for you?

Stick up an aul link when you have it .

• Advertisement

Ill probably get a ban for sniggering at that one :)

I'm even afraid to thank it.

Advertisement