Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6n 2019 Ireland v England Build Up Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Can we not?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Can we not?

Ah cmon FF it's a staple of every international window these days. We've already had the Rob Kearney debate, SOB and whether he's over the hill, now the foreign players.

We're just missing the claims that Joe doesn't bring in the next big thing and we'll have a full house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

jacothelad wrote: »
    What would be your criteria for players eligibility?

I'd rather players have some family from Ireland anyway. Winning with 15 Irish players would mean more. This is just my opinion of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Ah cmon FF it's a staple of every international window these days. We've already had the Rob Kearney debate, SOB and whether he's over the hill, now the foreign players.

We're just missing the claims that Joe doesn't bring in the next big thing and we'll have a full house.

When is McFadden back from injury?

Can we not?

Jesus, I didn't know this was such a sensitive subject! So, not allowed to mention this, Rob Kearney, SOB or bringing in the next big thing, whatever that is?

• Advertisement

Perifect wrote: »
    I'd rather players have some family from Ireland anyway. Winning with 15 Irish players would mean more. This is just my opinion of course!

Does that include children born in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Adam Byrne has remained with the Ireland squad this week at Carton House. I'm delighted for him as earlier in the season it was hard to see him getting into the Leinster squad let alone the wider Irish one. Played mostly in the Celtic Cup for the A side before a few injuries moved him back to the senior team. Took his opportunity with both hands and hasn't looked back.

Although, he's only there due to Andrew Conway's injury. Looking into it a bit more I guess he's still not fully recovered.

Do you mean players who have kids here? Well, their kids would be qualified!

Do you mean players who have kids here? Well, their kids would be qualified!

Just saying they have family from Ireland, if they have an Irish born child. I would like to see that as law, I wonder would unions pay for the child support and then there is the issue of finding willing participants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Can we not?

Jesus, I didn't know this was such a sensitive subject! So, not allowed to mention this, Rob Kearney, SOB or bringing in the next big thing, whatever that is?

It's not sensitive, it's just exhausting. Every time the internationals start there's a blow in who brings up the same old **** about foreign players, Kearney is ****, Schmidt isn't innovative and SOB is crocked.

It's boring. There are some people who don't like foreign born people playing for Ireland. Fine.

But it's a fact of life and rugby is no different to any other sport.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Can we not?
    Yes.

We're not.

Move on.

What a great welcome to the rugby forum! :D

What a great welcome to the rugby forum! :D

Talk about rugby on the rugby forum.

To be fair though, you probably weren't to know how ball numbingly repetitive your post was.

troyzer wrote: »
    Talk about rugby on the rugby forum.

To be fair though, you probably weren't to know how ball numbingly repetitive your post was.

You seem like a nice, charming fella. :D I was talking about rugby. How was I to know there's a clique running this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Clegg wrote: »
    Adam Byrne has remained with the Ireland squad this week at Carton House. I'm delighted for him as earlier in the season it was hard to see him getting into the Leinster squad let alone the wider Irish one. Played mostly in the Celtic Cup for the A side before a few injuries moved him back to the senior team. Took his opportunity with both hands and hasn't looked back.

Although, he's only there due to Andrew Conway's injury. Looking into it a bit more I guess he's still not fully recovered.

Well Conway is back, so if he’s still there it’s not due to Conway’s absence any more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lads ffs desist from quoting

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You seem like a nice, charming fella. :D I was talking about rugby. How was I to know there's a clique running this forum?
    No clique, but you stumbled on a subject that has been done to the death and always ends up with pages of nonsense. Please read the charter, and don't question mod decisions on threads.

And welcome. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So.....

Zebo for full back anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It'll never happen, but I'd love to see Ringrose play at 15. Great boot, really elusive and always finds a gap to make a line break. Superb defender as well.

They said that about BOD...and then he played there against Western Australia for the Lions (18 years ago f****g hell)...and he never played there again...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Adam Byrne would be a surprise inclusion.
    It's possible that we may see a little more of a spread this tourney?
    Maybe 3 starting rotations every match?
    I don't think it would harm us.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Dubinusa wrote: »

I think the closest we'll come to rotation is the 50/50 calls..... Aki or henshaw v England, and the recpricol v Scotland. Healy and Mcgrath might switch. Possibly even conan for cj in the France or Italy game. Addison may play a game or two at 15. Larmour will get game time on the wing I think.

Full strength though for Wales away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Dubinusa wrote: »
    We shouldnt rotate for the sake of rotation. There is nothing to be learnt from that
    Not sure we necessarily will see more of a spread of players this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

We shouldnt rotate for the sake of rotation. There is nothing to be learnt from that
    Not sure we necessarily will see more of a spread of players this year.

Apart from the Eng game, three rotations per the following four games would be about right. Which is rotation for the sake of proper game time for the backup squad, not for the sake of rotation.
    Scannell, Beirne, Porter, SOB, Carbo, Farrell, Larmour, Conway, Jordi at 8, Addison everywhere, all have to get a full game or two. Add in the established Healy/McGrath, Best/Cronin, Hendie/Toner, VDF/SOB/Leavy, Aki/Henchie combos, and there is plenty of scope for meaningful developmental rotation, while retaining a useful interest in winning those games.
    The scrumhalf situation is unfortunate. But there it is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Every single year people start muttering about more rotation and every single year it fails to materialise. Why does anyone think this will be different??

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Every single year people start muttering about more rotation and every single year it fails to materialise. Why does anyone think this will be different??
    • Its a world cup year.
    • 6N titles and Grand Slams have been ticked off at this stage. Not quite hum-dum, but another wont really change the history record of this team and Schmidts tenure.
    • How they do in the world cup will crown it or leave an eternal black mark against it.
    • Its Schmidts last year.
    • Joe learns lesson. The last world cup quarter with a hobbled team was a lesson he learned. It has been a personal work-on for him since then to fix that.

Those are the reason it is different this time.

Podge_irl wrote: »

Because a long term injury can rule you out of the world cup unlike other years.

I don't expect much rotation outside horses for courses and the 50/50 calls. Carbery might get the start against France and Italy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think people overestimate the importance of the World Cup to Ireland. Or rather, underestimate the Six Nations in a World Cup year. It's vital we do as well as we can every year. We're not going to rotate to build depth in such a tournament. We've already built the squad over the last three and a bit years.

An agressive aki tackle in the first 10 mins could do wonders against an England team set up to won collisions. He gives us gain line, we have plenty of footballers, including our tight head prop! I would have aki to start, itrespective of whether we can fit henshaw in or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Non guaranteed first choicers I think could start at least one game are J.McGrath, Scannell, Porter, Beirne, Henderson, VDF, Leavy, Conan, Carbery, Aki, Larmour, Addison. Even at that I think it's pushing it.

• Advertisement

baas baa wrote: »
    Non guaranteed first choicers I think could start at least one game are J.McGrath, Scannell, Porter, Beirne, Henderson, VDF, Leavy, Conan, Carbery, Aki, Larmour, Addison. Even at that I think it's pushing it.

Given the England game will be a first choice selection given that Eng are likely the strongest challenge, and that it comes first up, spreading that dozen among the 4 remaining games, thats three per game. About right. The details dont really matter. Its about giving experience in an almost first team, to a down or so key non first choicers where our coverage of experienced players is light.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement