Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

today-i-learned-facts-11.jpg

A man named Göran Kropp from Sweden rode his bicycle to Nepal, climbed Mount Everest alone without Sherpas or bottled oxygen, then cycled back to Sweden again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

today-i-learned-facts-19.jpg

Suzanne Somers was fired from ‘Three’s Company’ for asking for equal pay with her male co-star, John Ritter, who was earning five times her salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AlejGuzman68

New Home wrote: »
    today-i-learned-facts-19.jpg

Suzanne Somers was fired from ‘Three’s Company’ for asking for equal pay with her male co-star, John Ritter, who was earning five times her salary.

But Janet and Jack were funnier and had a better chemistry, IMO.

That's how they wrote the characters, Janet was not scripted as being the ditzy blonde. Christmas Snow, seriously?!

Anyway, FIVE times the salary? Chemistry or no chemistry, that's despicable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That's how they wrote the characters, Janet was not scripted as being the ditzy blonde. Christmas Snow, seriously?!

They didn't write the characters because it was a copy of Man About the House of which George and Mildred was a spin off, which itself was copied in the US as The Ropers.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, who could forget Yootha Joyce.

This sea slug, which looks like a leaf, can go without eating for 9 months, because it can photosynthesize just like a plant while basking in the sun.

interesting-rarely-seen-things-13.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

John McEnroe and Martina Navratilova commentators at Wimbledon. I think one earned £500k, the other £50k. Shocking!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

3939_0dc2.jpeg

• Advertisement

617370.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AlejGuzman68

617370.jpg

Any pics of the inside? I would love to see how he made it work,lol.

Well, for one thing, I'm pretty sure you're only allowed to walk sideways, and you can only sleep on your sides. Think Egyptian hieroglyphs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Well, for one thing, I'm pretty sure you're only allowed to walk sideways, and you can only sleep on your sides. Think Egyptian hieroglyphs. :D

The Bangles rented it for a few years ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

When Montenegro gained independence from Yugoslavia, it's Internet domain changed from .yu to .me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

And it took the Deutschmark as its currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Wait until Kanye West finds out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭its_steve116

"Maniac 2000" reached #137 in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

"Maniac 2000" reached #137 in the UK.

It deserved to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭its_steve116

It deserved to.

Can't tell if you mean that in a good or bad way.

• Advertisement

Lockheed Martin managed to reduce the total number of identified problems with its F-35 Lightning II stealth fighter by two in 2020 – though 871 deficiencies remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭The White Feather

There was once an incident where bits of meat rained down from the sky. It happened in Kentucky, USA in 1876.

It was called the Kentucky Meat Shower and was supposed to be seen by very reliable people.

The theories that fit best was that it was from Vultures who dropped the meat. Some thought it was lamb or deer but a piece was supposed to be identified to be from the lung of either a horse or human infant!!!! :eek:

Wikipedia page here

Scientific American article

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭Kat1170

There are 96 bags of human waste on the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Some thought it was lamb or deer but a piece was supposed to be identified to be from the lung of either a horse or human infant!!!! :eek:
    Colour me sceptical that those two things look alike.

620197.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Cuckoo clocks were invented in Germany, not Switzerland.

Tempura was invented in Portugal and brought to Japan by monks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Panko was in invented by the Japanese during WW2.

It's made by passing an electrical current through a baking tin so no oven - therefore you don't get any crust and the bread becomes brittle all the way through.

"Pan" is the word for bread in Japanese and come from the Portiugese word "Pao" and "Kanji" is Japanese for Crumbs.

Pankanji- Panko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The President of Chad, Idriss Deby died on the battlefield this week, leading his troops in a war.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/20/chad-president-idriss-deby-dies-military-says

The last known European head of state to die in battle was Charles XII of Sweden who died in 1718 over 300 years ago. While a number of heads of state have been killed in assassinations or bombings, very few have died in actual battle over the past 300 years. Salvador Allende died defending his presidential palace from Pinochet's forces in a coup in 1973, but that's about as near as it gets in the past century at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭Evade

humberklog wrote: »
    Panko was in invented by the Japanese during WW2.

It's made by passing an electrical current through a baking tin so no oven - therefore you don't get any crust and the bread becomes brittle all the way through.

"Pan" is the word for bread in Japanese and come from the Portiugese word "Pao" and "Kanji" is Japanese for Crumbs.

Pankanji- Panko
    Ko* is Japanese for flour/meal/powder/dust. Kanji* are Japanese characters derived from Chinese.

*They could potentially mean a lot of things depending on the context and pitch in spoken Japanese or the kanji in written Japanese.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The Georgian word for "I peel it" is vprtskvni

Good luck pronouncing that after no pints

Advertisement