Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

How would you still have a stock of FRF stamps after 19 years. Madness.
    Bottom of the junk drawer in granny's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭KevRossi

joujoujou wrote: »
    Some Eurozone countries still allow using pre-euro stamps! :eek:

Recent ebay purchase came from France with quite a big amount of stamps affixed:

553238.jpg

Quick research and the green one is quite recent, worth 1 Euro, while blue ones were issued in early nineties, worth 3.2 French Francs each. 1 Euro equals 6.55957 FRF. Postage paid - 3.9 EUR.

Some shops in France still give their customers receipts with both FRF and EUR on them. Same applies to utility bills.

Kind of fitting that the stamps were used to send a package to Roscommon.

We Rossies like doing things the traditional way.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

623836.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

New Home wrote: »
    623836.jpg

Now I want to see a person compared to the average bear!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

woah

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Cordell

That is because they will bring a large caliber gun to a claws fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Stolen from Stingy thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=117187605#post117187605

Back when people used code words to save on the number of words used in telegram messages.

In 1887 a wool dealer named Frank Primrose send a coded telegraph message to his agent saying he had purchased 500,000 pounds of wool. "I Have Bought" was the code word BAY. The fumble-fingered telegrapher accidentally sent the words BUY, which means (surprise surprise) "buy". Morse for "A" is dot-dash, while "U" is dot-dot-dash. Very easy to make a mistake. The agent got the incorrect message and duly purchased 500,000 pounds of wool. Primrose lost $20,000 (about $270,000 in 2010 dollars).

He sued the telegraph company, but unfortunately he had failed to pay the two cents extra for the message to be verified.

So the court awarded him a refund of $1.15, the cost of the message.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cordell wrote: »
    That is because they will bring a large caliber gun to a claws fight.
    The poll was for unarmed Americans so there's not even that excuse.

• Advertisement

Unarmed? Perhaps, it you don't count their guns (cue above-mentioned American kissing his biceps).
    Unharmed? Nuh-uh. Not even a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

When Mt St Helens erupted in May 1980, a photographer called Robert Landsberg was too close to survive the eruption so he took as many photos as he could of the eruption then lay down on his camera to protect it and waited to die. The camera was found intact and the photos developed. Incredible.

https://petapixel.com/2011/09/07/photographer-died-protecting-his-film-during-the-1980-mt-st-helens-eruption/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Evade

Americans wouldn't need to fight bears as often if they didn't have a constitutional right to keep (and) bear arms.

Evade wrote: »
    Americans wouldn't need to fight bears as often if they didn't have a constitutional right to keep (and) bear arms.
    Bare arms? Not in winter, surely!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't know if it's come up on this thread before, but you can quickly check if an AA or AAA battery is good or bad by dropping it arse-first from about a foot onto a solid surface.

Dead batteries bounce, good batteries don't.

I showed my OH this morning and her mind was blown.

I read up on the physics behind this fadó fadó but I've completely forgotten why it works now.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Its the 8% could beat an Elephant that gets me, lol
    9% vs a croc ?

It's a killing machine that hasn't changed much in the last 80 million years.

Big things like platyoposaurus and prionosuchus had a very, very similar design 270 million years ago. Long before dinosaurs or grass or flowers.

seamus wrote: »
    I don't know if it's come up on this thread before, but you can quickly check if an AA or AAA battery is good or bad by dropping it arse-first from about a foot onto a solid surface.

I read up on the physics behind this fadó fadó but I've completely forgotten why it works now.
    That's gas.

Gas pressure build up, doesn't work for all battery chemistries.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

9% vs a croc ?

It's a killing machine that hasn't changed much in the last 80 million years.

Big things like platyoposaurus and prionosuchus had a very, very similar design 270 million years ago. Long before dinosaurs or grass or flowers.

depends where the fight takes place. If it is in the water your chances are slim but if it entirely on land you might be ok. If you can avoid them biting you and get on top of them it is relatively easy to keep their mouths closed. you then poke their eyes out and then kill them at your leisure. Not that I have thought about this a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

With a good knife you'd stand a decent chance against a croc... even better odds if you had some some rope to hand as well. Completely unarmed? I just can't see it. They're cold-blooded predators that are used to lying in wait for their prey. You're not going to be able to punch one to death while holding it's mouth closed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Are people stone mad or what?? I wouldn't take on any of those without an M4 carbine and a couple of hundred feet of distance! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭Evade

jimgoose wrote: »
    Are people stone mad or what?? I wouldn't take on any of those without an M4 carbine and a couple of hundred feet of distance! :pac:
    A lot of the bigger animals wouldn't be stopped quick enough, if at all, by that calibre.

EDIT: To expand on this a bit. It is illegal in a lot of places to hunt anything bigger than a very small deer or fox with that calibre because it takes far too long to kill something and it's considered cruel. Which is kind of the reason it was adopted for military use. In conventional army vs army warfare it is thought to be more effective to wound the enemy soldiers and have them tie up medical resources and personnel that to kill them outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Evade wrote: »
    A lot of the bigger animals wouldn't be stopped quick enough, if at all, by that calibre.

I know, but like most people I'm too weedy to fire a Ma Deuce from the hip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

seamus wrote: »

Quietly runs to get a car battery to test this out!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Quietly runs to get a car battery to test this out!
    Don't. And don't ask me how I know. Seamus, you bastard. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

jimgoose wrote: »
    I love how 17% reckon they could take a chimp. A chimp would rip off your arms and beat you to death with the soggy ends for sport. I'm surprised an eagle was high enough in the rankings. Maybe because they asked American folks and the Bald Eagle being a cultural thing over there? Eagles though incredible predators are like all birds(ostriches and rheas notwithstanding) pretty delicate and it wouldn't take much to take one out. Just avoid the beak and talons.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Wibbs wrote: »
    I love how 17% reckon they could take a chimp. A chimp would rip off your arms and beat you to death with the soggy ends for sport. I'm surprised an eagle was high enough in the rankings. Maybe because they asked American folks and the Bald Eagle being a cultural thing over there? Eagles though incredible predators are like all birds(ostriches and rheas notwithstanding) pretty delicate and it wouldn't take much to take one out. Just avoid the beak and talons.

Best of luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Wibbs wrote: »
    There are also geo-cultural biases about what constitutes an eagle.
    b1l6n0xe0b7y.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I don't see the bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

mikhail wrote: »
    There are also geo-cultural biases about what constitutes an eagle.
    https://i.redd.it/b1l6n0xe0b7y.png

I doubt this really fits the thread but:

I hit a wedge tailed eagle with my car in Australia, it was on the verge munching some roadkill kangaroo, saw me coming and went to take flight but flew straight toward the car and into the windscreen, it bounced up into the air, landed on the road behind me - dusted itself off and went back to it's meal. Car was fine bar the "wing dust" you'd see in the kitchen at home if a starling or whatever flew into it

Still have the image burned into my head of the entire windscreen being blocked out by it's wings as I hit it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I don't see the bias.
    If you'd only ever seen chihuahuas, the prospect of wrestling an Alsatian might not seem so bad. There are dogs, and there are dogs. Likewise, eagles.

Advertisement