Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭worded

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I hate to say this but I've talked to hunters in America who say that cougar tastes delicious.

75% of male smokers who try Camel go back to women

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭worded

The endangered mountain snow leopard can whistle but chooses not to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Take a large calf's head. Scald off the hair. Boil it until the horn is tender, then cut it into slices about the size of your finger, with as little lean as possible. Have ready three pints of good mutton or veal broth, put in it half a pint of Madeira wine, half a teaspoonful of thyme, pepper, a large onion, and the peel of a lemon chop't very small. A ¼ of a pint of oysters chop't very small, and their liquor; a little salt, the juice of two large onions, some sweet herbs, and the brains chop't. Stand all these together for about an hour, and send it up to the table with the forcemeat balls made small and the yolks of hard eggs.

- Mrs. Fowle's Mock Turtle Soup

Heh, that sounds vile. You can buy loads of soft shell turtles on donedeal for a bit of nothing. Add salt, pepper, Cajun spice, onion, and chili in a slow cooker. Best soup you will ever have heh. Nothing like the real thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Heh, that sounds vile.
    It's Fowle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,087 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Yesterday, 80 years ago on the evening of Thursday, August 31st, 1939, an unnamed inmate of a German concentration camp was taken by members of the Gestapo to a radio transmitting station outside the frontier town of Gleiwitz. He was then dressed up in a Polish army uniform and shot. A propaganda story was subsequently concocted alleging that the Poles had attacked Germany, thus enabling Hitler to invade Poland ‘in self-defence’, without needing to declare war first. ‘Operation Himmler’, as this farcically transparent pantomime was codenamed, thus encompassed the very first death of the Second World War.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

The world’s first known fatal car accident happened on 31. August 1869 ... in Ireland.

You probably know about the Parsons, the Earls of Rosse of Birr Castle in Offaly. The third Earl, William Parson, was a famous scientist of his time and built the then largest telescope of the world (in the 1840’s) and discovered the spiral nature of some galaxies.
    Scientists and engineers were common guests at the castle, and so was Mary Ward, a cousin of William and a scientist in her own right who devoted her curiosity in researching insects and published some papers and books about them.

William’ sons were all engineers and created various machines, among others a steam-powered car.

On this sunny August day in 1869 the Parsons went for a spin with that contraption. At the steering wheel was Biggs, the house teacher, beside him and at the back on heightend seats were the two youngest Parsons and Mary Ward with her husband Henry. The speed was unhurried, people on foot overtook the car twice while they trundled along around Birr.

Biggs steered the car around a sharp bend and suddenly the car “jumped”, as witnesses recounted. Mary Ward fell forward from her heightened seat and directly in front of the car under the wheels. She died minutes later.

As an aside: The ancestral home of Mary and Henry Ward was Castle Ward in County Down. It has an interesting history of it’s own, since it was built in two different styles because the ancestors of Henry Ward, Lord Bangor and his wife, differed in their architectural preferences. The solution? One side is now Palladian, the other is Georgian Gothic.

In more recent times Castle Ward became famous as part of “Winterfell”, a location in “Game of Thrones”.

Phew. I managed to make a connection from the world’s first known car accident to Game of Thrones. And all that in Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The world's first aviation fatality was also in Offaly, bizarrely

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt Sr., one of the members of the famous Vanderbilt family and a wealthy businessman, according to some sources, had bought a ticket for the maiden voyage of the Titanic, but didn't board the ship. He later died in the sinking of the Lusitania.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

cdeb wrote: »

I’d be surprised if it wasn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Bizarrely indeed. There must be something in the Offaly air or water or such like... :D

I looked it up: https://www.thejournal.ie/balloon-crash-tullamore-2463007-Dec2015/

Incidentally Ireland was also the first country of the Eurozone that fell into a recession after the crash of 2008/09. The then Taoiseach, Brian Cowen, who messed it up royally, was from - ta dah - Offaly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

More Guinness is sold in Nigeria than in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Carry wrote: »

Bizarrely indeed. There must be something in the Offaly air or water or such like... :D

I looked it up: https://www.thejournal.ie/balloon-crash-tullamore-2463007-Dec2015/

Incidentally Ireland was also the first country of the Eurozone that fell into a recession after the crash of 2008/09. The then Taoiseach, Brian Cowen, who messed it up royally, was from - ta dah - Offaly.
    It's an Offaly dangerous place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Paddy Cow wrote: »

It has about 40 times the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Paddy Cow wrote: »

They love the black stuff! :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ipso wrote: »

It is also one of the biggest producers of Guinness, IIRC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

eight_col_Bobby_Leach__Buffalo_Erie_County_Historical_Museum.jpg?1541471673

In 1911, Bobby Leach was the 2nd person to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel. He spent six months in the hospital recovering from injuries he sustained during the fall, which included two broken knee caps and a fractured jaw.

He died 15 years later when he slipped on an orange peel. His leg became infected, and eventually gangrene necessitated the amputation of the leg. Despite this procedure, he died of complications two months later.

Ipso wrote: »
    Ireland is the third largest consumer but we're nowhere near the third largest country population wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Bookies are not actually legally or contractually obliged to ever pay out winnings to a punter.

A Bookies can decide not to pay out if they have suspicions of match fixing etc and they do not have to prove this.

There have been cases where small Bookmakers have been face to make a huge payout to a customer and instead have just closed the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

If two gay people marry. can one of them take the others surname? Or is it generally left as their own surname?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,167 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If two gay people marry. can one of them take the others surname? Or is it generally left as their own surname?

anyone can take any name they choose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

, thus encompassed the very first death of the Second World War.
    Though the Chinese, Russians, Mongolians and Japanese may disagree.

The Second Sino-Japanese War started on the 7th of July 1937.

More people died in the Battle of Wuhan than total UK AND US deaths in WWII

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I am sure this will be instantly disproved

But I just read that grasshoppers are called locusts when they swarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,167 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I am sure this will be instantly disproved

But I just read that grasshoppers are called locusts when they swarm.

almost. locusts are a species of grasshopper. they are the only species that swarm and only do so when population density is high enough. other species of grasshopper are solitary and do not swarm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

That buoy is pronounced boo-ee in American English.

Well, maybe you did know that, but it was new to me.

I almost prefer their pronunciation. If we pronounced it that way, I wouldn't have freaked out as a child when I was told there were buoys in the water, wondering why nobody was going out to rescue them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

KevRossi wrote: »

We all know hippos are very fast and agile in the water, but they are also surprisingly quick on land, they can run at roughly 30km an hour. Therefore the bike is your best bet for beating one in a triathlon.:D

quickbeam wrote: »
    That buoy is pronounced boo-ee in American English.

Well, maybe you did know that, but it was new to me.

I almost prefer their pronunciation. If we pronounced it that way, I wouldn't have freaked out as a child when I was told there were buoys in the water, wondering why nobody was going out to rescue them.
    I don't know why but I learned it as boo-ee and it doesn't matter how many times I'm corrected, boy just seems wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

That the two species of venomous lizards are from Mexico. The Gila Monster Lizard and the Mexican Beaded Lizard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I have dealt with a few same sex couple in England.

They tend to double up with the surnames.

A guy I used to work with actually took his wife's surname and double barrelled it on the basis it looks more prestigious. The same guy also took time off when his hamster died and went into proper mourning. Spent nearly £2k on vets for the fckuing hamster. Work told him to cop on to himself which he did not appreciate- left soon after.

Bell end.

• Advertisement

I have dealt with a few same sex couple in England.

They tend to double up with the surnames.

A guy I used to work with actually took his wife's surname and double barrelled it on the basis it looks more prestigious. The same guy also took time off when his hamster died and went into proper mourning. Spent nearly £2k on vets for the fckuing hamster. Work told him to cop on to himself which he did not appreciate- left soon after.

Bell end.
    Trying to keep it on topic so did you know that hamsters only live about 3 years and spending 2k on one is insane?

Advertisement