Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Trying to keep it on topic so did you know that hamsters only live about 3 years and spending 2k on one is insane?

Hold on. It wasn't me- I didn't spend £2k on a hamster. Well, yes we knew that they only live for a few years. But the guy was inconsolable- we genuinely thought he was pulling the piss to begin with but no he was distraught- even took time off work.

It was a guy who used to work here. The same guy who took his wife's surname to double barrel it up.

The English can be very weird when it comes to their pets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That the two species of venomous lizards are from Mexico. The Gila Monster Lizard and the Mexican Beaded Lizard.
    Komodo dragons are venomous too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well the jury is still up in teh air about that Cap't. They have glands that among other things contain proteins that appear to cause toxic effects, but they're very mild and wouldn't be deadly nearly quick enough to be useful as a venom. Iguanas and other related speices have the same thing going on and aren't considered venomous. The idea that Komodo dragons saliva is so full of dangerous bacteria that it causes rapid shock on death to victims has also been disproved. It seems their primary method of hunting and killing prey is to use their incredibly powerful jaws and razor sharp teeth to lunge and bite down and tear open veins and arteries causing blood loss, enough to cause a slow death in the prey they're after. Now some of the proteins found in their saliva appears to be an anti coagulant so this might be in play too. They simply follow the injured prey and wait for it to be incapacitated. They can track prey over great distances because of incredibly acute senses of smell and taste.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Hold on. It wasn't me- I didn't spend £2k on a hamster. Well, yes we knew that they only live for a few years. But the guy was inconsolable- we genuinely thought he was pulling the piss to begin with but no he was distraught- even took time off work.
    Don't worry, I know it wasn't you ;) I was trying to word my post so that it agreed with you without turning this into a discussion about how your former colleague is clearly overly attached to his hamster, which would derail the thread.
    It was a guy who used to work here. The same guy who took his wife's surname to double barrel it up.
    The English and their class system! If he lived in the past that would make sense. They started hyphenating last names because traditionally a woman took her husbands name but if the woman was of a higher social standing and didn't want the family name to die out, they hyphenated it. Prestigious back then but pretentious now. Ask any kid who has a double name and nine times out of ten they will tell you they wish their parents had chosen one and not left it up to them to chose when they are older.
    The English can be very weird when it comes to their pets.
    It's not just an English thing. I knew someone who told me that if her cat died she would need a week off work to mourn.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    The English and their class system! If he lived in the past that would make sense. They started hyphenating last names because traditionally a woman took her husbands name but if the woman was of a higher social standing and didn't want the family name to die out, they hyphenated it. Prestigious back then but pretentious now. Ask any kid who has a double name and nine times out of ten they will tell you they wish their parents had chosen one and not left it up to them to chose when they are older.
    Apsley Cherry-Garrard was one of the youngest of Scott's party to visit the Antarctic in 1910-13, which of course ended in Scott's death (as well as others - Oates being the most infamous; "I'm just going out and may be some time")

Anyways, he was born Apsley Cherry, but when his grand-aunt died and left her estate to Apsley's father, one of the conditions of the inheritance was that Cherry Sr had to add "Garrard" to his name, hence the new family, the Apsley-Garrards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

We all know trees can't fend for themselves...

Except of course the Mexican fighting tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

But their not Mexican so I am biased heh .Forgive me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We all know trees can't fend for themselves...

Except of course the Mexican fighting tree.
    Is not a fighting tree , is a ham bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Blue is the most common colour on a country's flag, then red. There are only 10 countries that have neither blue nor red in their flag, Ireland is one of them.

Of those 10, 9 have green, leaving Bhutan as the only country that has neither blue, red nor green in its flag.

The list:

Republic of Ireland
    Jamaica
    Bhutan
    Mauritania
    Ivory Coast
    Niger
    Nigeria
    Cyprus
    Saudi Arabia
    Pakistan

flaghasredorblue1.png

And the very cool flag of Bhutan...

2000px-Flag_of_Bhutan.svg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Lewis Teague, the director of such films as The Jewel of The Nile, Cats Eye and Cujo only graduated from film school in 2016 at the age of 78.

*Scroll down to the bottom of the article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

KevRossi wrote: »
    Blue is the most common colour on a country's flag, then red. There are only 10 countries that have neither blue nor red in their flag, Ireland is one of them.

Of those 10, 9 have green, leaving Bhutan as the only country that has neither blue, red nor green in its flag.

The list:

Republic of Ireland
    Jamaica
    Bhutan
    Mauritania
    Ivory Coast
    Niger
    Nigeria
    Cyprus
    Saudi Arabia
    Pakistan

IMG

Incidentally, the map has incorrectly labelled Bhutan as having red or blue. Bhutan is squeezed between China and India, directly north of Bangladesh (to the east of Nepal, also between China and India).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well the jury is still up in teh air about that Cap't. They have glands that among other things contain proteins that appear to cause toxic effects, but they're very mild and wouldn't be deadly nearly quick enough to be useful as a venom. Iguanas and other related speices have the same thing going on and aren't considered venomous. The idea that Komodo dragons saliva is so full of dangerous bacteria that it causes rapid shock on death to victims has also been disproved. It seems their primary method of hunting and killing prey is to use their incredibly powerful jaws and razor sharp teeth to lunge and bite down and tear open veins and arteries causing blood loss, enough to cause a slow death in the prey they're after. Now some of the proteins found in their saliva appears to be an anti coagulant so this might be in play too. They simply follow the injured prey and wait for it to be incapacitated. They can track prey over great distances because of incredibly acute senses of smell and taste.

They're nasty, as this article shows. Apart form the recorded deaths since 2007.
    Imagine being in that group of divers shipwrecked in shark infested waters and eventually making it to an island where an estimated 1300 live? :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The list:

Republic of Ireland
    Jamaica
    Bhutan
    Mauritania
    Ivory Coast
    Niger
    Nigeria
    Cyprus
    Saudi Arabia
    Pakistan

flaghasredorblue1.png

That is not a great list of countries to be lumped in with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

The list:

Republic of Ireland
    Jamaica
    Bhutan
    Mauritania
    Ivory Coast
    Niger
    Nigeria
    Cyprus
    Saudi Arabia
    Pakistan

Slight correction. Mauritania adopted a new flag in 2017 that features red stripes so now there's one less.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That is not a great list of countries to be lumped in with.

Neither is the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

cdeb wrote: »
    The world's first aviation fatality was also in Offaly, bizarrely
    Carry wrote: »
    Bizarrely indeed. There must be something in the Offaly air or water or such like... :D

I looked it up: https://www.thejournal.ie/balloon-crash-tullamore-2463007-Dec2015/
    I can't see any mention of a fatality in the link or elsewhere. It was the first aviation-related disaster alright, causing major damage and the town to be rebuilt, but I think the first fatality was in France a month later. (Sorry for being pedantic.:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

The list:

Republic of Ireland
    Jamaica
    Bhutan
    Mauritania
    Ivory Coast
    Niger
    Nigeria
    Cyprus
    Saudi Arabia
    Pakistan

flaghasredorblue1.png

Am I the only one that sees red in that flag?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Am I the only one that sees red in that flag?

yellow and orange to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

yellow and orange to me

Ok, reddy orange.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Nope, orange orange. Might be your screen resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

New Home wrote: »
    Nope, orange orange. Might be your screen resolution.
    not resolution but down to the devices's screen technology used. Crappy screens or TFT( awful viewing angles ) is rubbish at colour reproduction, IPS/OLED are the best at colour reproduction. VA panels are middle of the road between TFT and IPS, better refresh than IPS but worse than TFT and worse colour repreduction than IPS but better than TFT and better viewing angles than TFT.

I have an IPS and the colour on it is sublime as its calibrated and everyone that sees it is shocked at how good it looks. I also have a VA panel for gaming, its good for middle of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Ok, reddy orange.

Straight from the horse's dragon's mouth:

The National Flag of Bhutan is divided diagonally into equal yellow and orange halves. The division starts from the lower corner of the flag where it is hoisted and runs along the diagonally opposite corner.

The yellow portion lies on the upper part of the diagonal division and it represents the yellow scarf worn by His Majesty, which in turn represents the being of His Majesty, the King. The orange portion lies on the lower part of the flag and it represents the orange scarf worn by the Je Khenpo, the religious head of the country.

The National Flag has a white dragon which spreads equally along the diagonal division towards the upper end. The dragon holds norbu(jewel) by its claws.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

It has to be said. That is one hell of a cool flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

It has to be said. That is one hell of a cool flag.

And it mostly follows the rules for a great flag:
    1. Keep it simple (the dragon might be a bit too complicated to meet this rule)
    2. Use meaningful symbolism
    3. Use two to three basic colors
    4. No lettering or seals of any kind.
    5. Be distinctive
    From the excellent podcast 99% Invisible:
    https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/vexillonaire/

Belfast City's flag is a decent one:
    Flag_of_Belfast.svg

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    And it mostly follows the rules for a great flag:
    1. Keep it simple (the dragon might be a bit too complicated to meet this rule)
    2. Use meaningful symbolism
    3. Use two to three basic colors
    4. No lettering or seals of any kind.
    5. Be distinctive
    From the excellent podcast 99% Invisible:
    https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/vexillonaire/

Belfast City's flag is a decent one:
    Flag_of_Belfast.svg

I don't know about that Belfast flag..

Not simple
    What's the symbolism? There's so many objects! Ships, bells, two tone bells, the sea...
    5 colours
    It's defintely distinctive though, but looks too much like a picture than a flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

lmimmfn wrote: »
    not resolution but down to the devices's screen technology used. Crappy screens or TFT( awful viewing angles ) is rubbish at colour reproduction, IPS/OLED are the best at colour reproduction. VA panels are middle of the road between TFT and IPS, better refresh than IPS but worse than TFT and worse colour repreduction than IPS but better than TFT and better viewing angles than TFT.

I have an IPS and the colour on it is sublime as its calibrated and everyone that sees it is shocked at how good it looks. I also have a VA panel for gaming, its good for middle of the road.

Now, I certainly didn't know that! :D
    Though I'm not sure if I'm any wiser after reading it. But TFT, IPS/OLED, IPS, VA, their various minglings and awful viewing angles sound interesting - somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I don't know about that Belfast flag..

Not simple
    What's the symbolism? There's so many objects! Ships, bells, two tone bells, the sea...
    5 colours
    It's defintely distinctive though, but looks too much like a picture than a flag.

Yeah if it was on a pole flapping in the breeze I think it would actually fail the 'good flag' test.

There's way too many colours on it, I think if they took off the ship, blue V thing and sea it'd be a good one. White and blue with the red bell/ship in the centre. (Not sure what the bell represents though, the maritime heritage maybe? I couldn't find a description online)

Took me 5 minutes to throw this together:
    490334.jpg

• Advertisement

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Yeah if it was on a pole flapping in the breeze I think it would actually fail the 'good flag' test.

There's way too many colours on it, I think if they took off the ship, blue V thing and sea it'd be a good one. White and blue with the red bell/ship in the centre. (Not sure what the bell represents though, the maritime heritage maybe? I couldn't find a description online)

Took me 5 minutes to throw this together:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=490334&stc=1&d=1568190308

We can tell. :pac: ;)

Now, THIS would make one cool flag.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111222770&postcount=3023

Advertisement