Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I live just up the road from the Racecourse.
    Whatever about the actual crapness of this 'experience', I have had to endure 10 hours of the same CD blaring away on repeat all day....
    ....."Bing Crosby sings Christmas Songs on his death-bed".
    Honestly, the most maudling, depressing Christmas Carols you could find.

And apparently this sh!te continues every day until the 20th December.

Ah jaysus. Reminds me of my time working in retail at Xmas as a youngin. I actually feel more sorry for you than I do the people paying for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

I live just up the road from the Racecourse.
    Whatever about the actual crapness of this 'experience', I have had to endure 10 hours of the same CD blaring away on repeat all day....
    ....."Bing Crosby sings Christmas Songs on his death-bed".
    Honestly, the most maudling, depressing Christmas Carols you could find.

And apparently this sh!te continues every day until the 20th December.

scumbags going to get karma anyway coming to them. hope the place will be shut down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

See the twats statement blaming everyone only themselves
    535304.jpg

I thought it was a good bit quieter around here today ;).

I don't think anybody can possibly feel any sympathy towards this Crowd, despite their pathetic 'blame everyone else' cancellation statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I thought it was a good bit quieter around here today ;).

I don't think anybody can possibly feel any sympathy towards this Crowd, despite their pathetic 'blame everyone else' cancellation statement.

So does anyone actually know who the organisers are/were? I haven't seen any named group/organisation laying claim to this shambles of a venture?

Was it just some bunch of local chancers or was it organised on a bigger level with similar efforts tried on across the country?

Comhra wrote: »
    So does anyone actually know who the organisers are/were? I haven't seen any named group/organisation laying claim to this shambles of a venture?

Was it just some bunch of local chancers or was it organised on a bigger level with similar ventures tried on across the country?

Some were saying in Comments of Leader it was train shambles guy from last year.
    i saw some place suppose to be another one for tralee

Deleted Post. I jumped in too quick when I saw Eventbrite on top of the Cancellation Statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,773 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Wow that's totally crap set up what planet were they on.

Saw the story about Curraghchase and thought best to give this crowd a wide berth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Imagine how bad it could possibly be... then go even further...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Go handy with the bait your not fishing @ all :D:D:D

Dont worry, I know how to use the report button
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Ah twitter - the home of verbal diarrhea.

Nah thats facebook :D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

Interesting to see if Limerick CB can deflect the farce that occurred with the womens match if Limerick win.

How do you manage to allow a pitch to be booked for a national qualifier, knowing full well you'll need it the same day for training, in a time with no ticket sales?

Its like someone was trying to hedge their bets, if Limerick didn't get into the All Ireland at least they'd get something for hosting the LGFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭phog

Interesting to see if Limerick CB can deflect the farce that occurred with the womens match if Limerick win.

How do you manage to allow a pitch to be booked for a national qualifier, knowing full well you'll need it the same day for training, in a time with no ticket sales?

Its like someone was trying to hedge their bets, if Limerick didn't get into the All Ireland at least they'd get something for hosting the LGFA.

The county board?

How do you make out that they are anyway responsible for the farce?

They had one condition on the booking of the ground ad the ladies football assoc still went ahead and booked it. Unbelievable stuff from them.

Our Sports and Social club book a venue every year for the Children's Christmas Party. We book it early in the year & before the H/Cup rugby fixtures are announced so if the venue we're looking at has a clause that they want it available if we clash with home Munster match then we just move on and book somewhere else.

How did the Ladies Football Assoc not foresee the probability of Limerick getting through to the All Ireland Final.

Then, to make matters worse, when they knew the venue wasn't available to them they didn't look at Thurles/Ennis as an option but moved the game to Dublin.

phog wrote: »
    The county board?

How do you make out that they are anyway responsible for the farce?

They had one condition on the booking of the ground ad the ladies football assoc still went ahead and booked it. Unbelievable stuff from them.

Our Sports and Social club book a venue every year for the Children's Christmas Party. We book it early in the year & before the H/Cup rugby fixtures are announced so if the venue we're looking at has a clause that they want it available if we clash with home Munster match then we just move on and book somewhere else.

How did the Ladies Football Assoc not foresee the probability of Limerick getting through to the All Ireland Final.

Then, to make matters worse, when they knew the venue wasn't available to them they didn't look at Thurles/Ennis as an option but moved the game to Dublin.

A training session was given precedence over a scheduled competitive fixture. Which everything aside, is bonkers for sport run mainly on a volunteer basis, when titles are all the players have to work towards.

We could ask how did Limerick not foresee the hurling team was going to make the final and therefore need the grounds? Its not as if they would have lost the revenue of ticket sales by rejecting the semi final booking. If anything, had ticket sales been allowed, they probably would have made more money allowing people in to see Limerick train.

The Heineken Cup is a professional tournament, with teams of logistical experts to resolve any last minute cancellations and pools of funds to legally secure venues, the GAA/LGFA is volunteers. Its not easy to compare the two when one is a multi million euro professional organisation and the other is made up of people with other day jobs.

The teams thought Limerick would respect the importance of their semi final by allowing them to use the pitch they had booked. Instead it was pulled out last minute and triggered a series of unfortunate events.

A training session was given precedence over a scheduled competitive fixture. Which everything aside, is bonkers for sport run mainly on a volunteer basis, when titles are all the players have to work towards.

We could ask how did Limerick not foresee the hurling team was going to make the final and therefore need the grounds? Its not as if they would have lost the revenue of ticket sales by rejecting the semi final booking. If anything, had ticket sales been allowed, they probably would have made more money allowing people in to see Limerick train.

The teams thought Limerick would respect the importance of their semi final by allowing them to use the pitch they had booked. Instead it was pulled out last minute and triggered a series of unfortunate events.

Limerick Count Board made it known that if they get through to the final they would want the ground - the reason why they needed it is irrelevant.

Why would anyone go ahead and book the ground with that condition. Amateurish at best.
    The Heineken Cup is a professional tournament, with teams of logistical experts to resolve any last minute cancellations and pools of funds to legally secure venues, the GAA/LGFA is volunteers. Its not easy to compare the two when one is a multi million euro professional organisation and the other is made up of people with other day jobs.

You've completely missed the point I was making about our S&S Club

Limerick Count Board made it known that if they get through to the final they would want the ground - the reason why they needed it is irrelevant.

Why would anyone go ahead and book the ground with that condition. Amateurish at best.

You've completely missed the point I was making about our S&S Club

Its an amateur sport run by volunteers, amateurish is its definition.

I didn't miss your point about the kids Christmas party. A competitive fixture in a national league that teams and backroom staff spent weeks preparing for should be viewed with more respect and levity than a training session where the home team have multiple alternative stadiums to train in within an hours drive.

The HC is a massive earner for hotels and could be a week/months worth of takings in a night. The hotels hedge their bets by taking Christmas party bookings in case Munster don't get through. In this case, the training session was seen as the HC match, rather than the actual semi final game. Which indicates Limerick view the womens semi final as a kids Christmas party that can be held elsewhere using your analogy. The events that followed would be akin to moving your Christmas party to another hotel, finding out its flooded and you need to move again, Santa broke down on the way there, and the food only coming in the last 10 minutes you've the venue booked for.

This is about respecting the leagues in the Gaelic Games. A semi final, no matter if its hurling, football, mens, ladies, shouldn't be shunted out of a venue to facilitate a training session. And especially not last minute when it was clear Limerick had a good chance at making the final early in the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Personally I think it is very bad form BUT the booking was made with the condition being called our well in advance, Dublin was chosen as the next neutral venue (I would have thought Ennis would have been a better fit) but when Parnell Park wasn't available then Croke Park was made available, now I might be foolish but I would have thought that of being given the choice of Gaelic Grounds, Parnell Park or Croke Park that EVERY player would pick Croke Park.

Clareman wrote: »
    Personally I think it is very bad form BUT the booking was made with the condition being called our well in advance, Dublin was chosen as the next neutral venue (I would have thought Ennis would have been a better fit) but when Parnell Park wasn't available then Croke Park was made available, now I might be foolish but I would have thought that of being given the choice of Gaelic Grounds, Parnell Park or Croke Park that EVERY player would pick Croke Park.

It was such bad form that the match was brought forward and Galway only found out when they were 50 minutes away. Most of the team were travelling separately so I've heard it took a while to get through to everyone, hence why they only got to Croke Park so late. Cork as well had to wait on the pitch, unsure if it was going ahead or not and then it couldn't be televised because the changes were so last minute TG4 couldn't arrange everything to covid standards.

If it was a mens match, the pitch inspection would have been earlier and the Mayo fixture would have been delayed to allow Galway time to warm up, or else it would have been rescheduled.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Unfortunately with pitch inspections they are left to the very last minute so there isn't a whole lot that can be done there, not too long ago the Ireland France rugby international was called off at the last minute.
    h
    I think accommodations should have been made to allow for amble warm up time, there is a lot of contingency built in for extra time in matches when the chance of extra time is slim, delaying throw in by 10 minutes which then would have taken off the buffer for the next match's extra time would have been common sense but unfortunately this doesn't happen often enough. Playing matches in December is a nightmare at the best of times and when people are scrambling there's always going to be someone to lose out, it's rarely the TV companies. I think this match shouldn't have been brought to Dublin at all, Ennis would have suited both teams but there was probably a reason for that as well.

Totally off topic and nothing to do with Limerick, but the "One Club" initiative that the Camoige, LGFA and GAA are looking to get brought in will hopefully look to solve issues like this in the future, if all 3 organisations were all 1 then the whole "renting" of a group becomes a non-event.

• Advertisement

Its an amateur sport run by volunteers, amateurish is its definition.

I didn't miss your point about the kids Christmas party. A competitive fixture in a national league that teams and backroom staff spent weeks preparing for should be viewed with more respect and levity than a training session where the home team have multiple alternative stadiums to train in within an hours drive.

The HC is a massive earner for hotels and could be a week/months worth of takings in a night. The hotels hedge their bets by taking Christmas party bookings in case Munster don't get through. In this case, the training session was seen as the HC match, rather than the actual semi final game. Which indicates Limerick view the womens semi final as a kids Christmas party that can be held elsewhere using your analogy. The events that followed would be akin to moving your Christmas party to another hotel, finding out its flooded and you need to move again, Santa broke down on the way there, and the food only coming in the last 10 minutes you've the venue booked for.

This is about respecting the leagues in the Gaelic Games. A semi final, no matter if its hurling, football, mens, ladies, shouldn't be shunted out of a venue to facilitate a training session. And especially not last minute when it was clear Limerick had a good chance at making the final early in the season.

They booked the ground KNOWING it had a condition which would mean the likelihood of the ground not being available. Why would anyone book a ground for any match let alone a SF with such a condition attached to the booking.

It was such bad form that the match was brought forward and Galway only found out when they were 50 minutes away. Most of the team were travelling separately so I've heard it took a while to get through to everyone, hence why they only got to Croke Park so late. Cork as well had to wait on the pitch, unsure if it was going ahead or not and then it couldn't be televised because the changes were so last minute TG4 couldn't arrange everything to covid standards.

If it was a mens match, the pitch inspection would have been earlier and the Mayo fixture would have been delayed to allow Galway time to warm up, or else it would have been rescheduled.

None of this is on the Limerick County Board, a lot of it is more of the same amateurism from the ladies football association.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

None of this is on the Limerick County Board, a lot of it is more of the same amateurism from the ladies football association.

Amateurism from an amateur association. My god. :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not sure where I mentioned Limerick CB in the post you're quoting...

Clareman wrote: »
    I think this match shouldn't have been brought to Dublin at all, Ennis would have suited both teams but there was probably a reason for that as well.

They apparently looked into Semple stadium but stewarding couldn't be finalised in time and Portlaoise was also ruled out.

I'd say Ennis might have been ruled out as if the pitch failed inspection, the next nearest (Limerick) was unavailable so it might have ended up back in Galway? Dublin might have been the better neutral ground at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

Reading this and your other comments on the matter you obviously have very little idea what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,773 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Any remember an arcade that used be on O'Connell St, where the Vodafone shop is and what it was possibly called?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Any remember an arcade that used be on O'Connell St, where the Vodafone shop is and what it was possibly called?

Buzz or something was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

Berty wrote: »
    Buzz or something was it?
    The Buzz from what I recall, a grand place to mitch, along with the Vic

• Advertisement

Treepole wrote: »
    Reading this and your other comments on the matter you obviously have very little idea what you are talking about.

Never claimed to be an expert, just debating the optics for Limerick.

The conditional booking was described by one journalist as something they'd see used when the U13s chance their arm at booking the better pitch the weekend of a senior county final, not something they'd expect to be used for a national level game, or allowed by the GAA.

Limerick and the GAA pledged towards 20x20, so by not allowing the womens semi final a secure booking (again, they should have rejected outright if they couldn't follow through), they are contradicting their pledge to actively combat gender inequality in sport and provide access to facilities to the national level LGFA/Camogie teams when available.

Limerick were within their right to book the pitch for training, and I'm not saying the LGFA are perfect (or even sometimes functional) but when we're seeing training being prioritised over national semi finals, for a booking made weeks in advance, its time the GAA/LGFA/Camogie review what clubs/counties are allowed to include in terms and conditions and how to ensure competitive match fixture bookings become final. Adding gender into the mix makes it even worse as female teams consistently lose pitch priority over men, but purely for player welfare they should be allowed the certainty of knowing where they are playing when the fixture locations are announced.

Advertisement