Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver indicating but doesn't turn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

an indicator gives an indication. Just an indication. It's up to a driver to ensure the vehicle is or isn't turning. He/she is responsible for making sure they are proceeding safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Would I have been at fault had we collided?

Yes.

I think that is just a good rule in general.

Statistically accurate statement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

Never trust an indicator, it is only a signal of intent, that signal could be true or misleading which in this case it was.

I got marked on my driving test a few years back for failing to proceed (Or something like that) Because I DIDN'T pull out in front of an approcing car who was indicating to turn to where I was coming from. :pac:

But I agree, Never trust an indicator or a wet fart. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Back when I was getting lessons my instructor told me, the only thing a flashing indicator means is that the cars electrics are working OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sligojoek wrote: »
    .... the only thing a flashing indicator means is that the cars electrics are working OK.
    Except if its a Renault as it could just mean that the driver is braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Touché

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

An exit from a housing estate that I visit regularly, is a T junction on to a busy main road. The main road has a bus lane to the right of the exit with oncoming traffic, but the bus lane ends just before the exit and does not continue at the other side.

As a result, cars on the main road are traveling towards the estate exit junction, in the lane that is outside the bus lane, and they are then instructed by road painted arrow to pull in to where the bus lane ends and then continue closer to the kerb. This lane re-alignment move is required just before the oncoming estate exit junction. Drivers on the main road that are pulling back into the resumed kerb lane have been known to indicate left while doing so, giving the impression to cars ahead waiting to exit the estate that they are intending to turn into it, therefore suggesting that it is safe to exit.

Several people waiting to exit the estate have have been caught by pulling out to continue left onto the main road, assuming that the oncoming car is turning left into the estate when instead they are incorrectly indicating that they are merely moving into the re-aligned kerbside traffic lane when the bus lane ends.

There have been a few prangs and to be honest while it is never safe to trust an indicator and cars incorrectly indicating are at fault, but in this case the road layout design also has a considerable part to play in encouraging the confusion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If I see someone on the road, indicator or not, I'm thinking about what I need to do if they come my way. When joining a road, it doesn't matter to me if people are indicating to possibly turn off before where I am. As with that loch Ness movie, "seeing is believing".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

steo_magra wrote: »
    Tough going bud

It was indeed but I passed my test next time around and it was a valuable lesson I suppose!
    This country keeps amazing me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Isambard wrote: »
    an indicator gives an indication. Just an indication. It's up to a driver to ensure the vehicle is or isn't turning. He/she is responsible for making sure they are proceeding safely.

A town close to where I live has bus only parking a few hundred yards from a junction. 2 lanes on a one way system. People regularly park there so the buses stop on the road in the left hand lane. Cars then drive up the right hand lane (often without indicating) and back into left hand lane (indicating left). The amount of near misses from people assuming the cars are turning left at the junction and driving out into oncoming traffic is high. I never trust indicators alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

freddyuk wrote: »
    Have a read through this and then come back with anything you don't understand. There are people here who are happy to guide you to be a safe driver.
    http://www.drivinglessonsdublin.ie/rules.html

Done.
    I read through this all.

And didn't find a word confirming that person pulling out from side road is at fault in accident, when driver on the main road was indicating left turn and therefore giving signal to person pulling out from side road that their routes would not collide.

So yes - I'm coming back with something I don't understand.

CiniO wrote: »
    Done.
    I read through this all.

And didn't find a word confirming that person pulling out from side road is at fault in accident, when driver on the main road was indicating left turn and therefore giving signal to person pulling out from side road that their routes would not collide.

I don't use indicators. And don't see them either... It's safer that way...

grogi wrote: »
    I don't use indicators. And don't see them either... It's safer that way...

Be consistent, turn off your brake lights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Done.
    I read through this all.

Of course it's their fault. They have right of way. Anything else would be stupid.

Regardless of them doing anything that could lead you to believe they might be turning, they still have right of way.

Sur eif it was that simple anyone that pulls out in front of someone could just try it on and say the other person had an indicator on and get away with it.

Of course it's their fault. They have right of way. Anything else would be stupid.

Regardless of them doing anything that could lead you to believe they might be turning, they still have right of way.

Sur eif it was that simple anyone that pulls out in front of someone could just try it on and say the other person had an indicator on and get away with it.

I must admit it's quite beyond me how can a person going straight have a right of way if they are clearly indicating that they'll turn left ?

I must admit it's quite beyond me how can a person going straight have a right of way if they are clearly indicating that they'll turn left ?

Rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Because they have right of way. An indicator doesnt change right of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

It can also work the other way too. A friend of mine was behind a jeep pulling a trailer, friend put on his indicator to over-take the jeep and the guy just turned right as the over-take was in progress with no indicator. My friend ended up in a ditch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

stoneill wrote: »
    Never trust other drivers
    one thing i always remind myself of - approximately half the drivers you meet on the road are of below average intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

one thing i always remind myself of - approximately half the drivers you meet on the road are of below average intelligence.

Yeah, and the other half are stupid.

Because they have right of way. An indicator doesnt change right of way.

How can they have a right of way going straight, if they are not planning on going straight.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

How can they have a right of way going straight, if they are not planning on going straight.

How do you know their intentions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

I despair
    There are people driving around who just do not get it. It is very very scary.
    Still as others have rightly said expect every other driver to be a blithering idiot and drive accordingly. We may then survive intact.

Be consistent, turn off your brake lights too.

Where is flaw in my logic? Since nobody can trust an indicator, what is the point of using them?

Break light are consistent and signal not an intend, but an actual manoeuvre.

How do you know their intentions?

Indicator is for showing intentions.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Indicator is for showing intentions.

Is it for the junction you are thinking they are taking or perharps the next one on? Or is their auto cancel broken?

grogi wrote: »
    Where is flaw in my logic? Since nobody can trust an indicator, what is the point of using them?

Break light are consistent and signal not an intend, but an actual manoeuvre.

Brake lights are an actual manoeuvre, agree. Brake lights are not working and you brake. Guy behind hits you. Who is in the wrong?
    Same logic, no?

Is it for the junction you are thinking they are taking or perharps the next one on? Or is their auto cancel broken?

It's their duty to indicate appropriately.
    If they are not doing it, then they are breaking the law.

And if there is an accident when someone is breaking the law, then I can't see the reason why this person should be blameless.

• Advertisement

It's their duty to indicate appropriately.
    If they are not doing it, then they are breaking the law.

And if there is an accident when someone is breaking the law, then I can't see the reason why this person should be blameless.

They might be signaling actual intend, which changed shortly before the junction.

You cannot really prosecute anybody solely for having thoughts.

Advertisement