Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver indicating but doesn't turn

Options
  • 21-01-2019 10:25pm

I was stopped at a stop sign earlier this evening looking to turn right.
    I looked to my right and saw a car and a motorbike both indicating left. I kept looking and saw the car slowing down and starting to make his turn.
    I looked to my left and could see a car in the distance but I had enough time to make my turn....

I moved off but the motorbike never turned.
    My wife let out a shout and I saw the bike swerve out to avoid me hitting him.

I feel really awful about it. I was very close to hitting him and I was really shook by it. However, it is frustrating when somebody signals and fails to do what they signalled.

Would I have been at fault had we collided?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

You often see bikes with indicators on by accident. It's an easy mistake to make when you're riding as you don't hear them and unless you're looking you might not realise they're on.

I wouldn't feel bad about it as the rider would have realised his mistake. I have no idea where the responsibility would lie if there was an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Unfortunately if you had hit him you would be in the wrong even though he had indicated that he was turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

VeryTerry wrote: »
    You often see bikes with indicators on by accident. It's an easy mistake to make when you're riding as you don't hear them and unless you're looking you might not realise they're on.

And interestingly you see drivers of cars, vans, trucks etc also doing this and they can hear them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Never trust an indicator, it is only a signal of intent, that signal could be true or misleading which in this case it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

I had about a week ago situation where car shows the clear sign to turn left. My car was on that left turn road and I start moving out because the signal was clear over 3 cycles. Unfortunately the driver means the next road, the gas station. We did not had accident only thanks for slow speed. It was the close call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

And drivers of one particular motor brand are famous for doing exactly opposite, e.g. not indicating at all. ;)

Anyway, one of the most important rules of the road says - expect unexpected. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Jackie Stewart wrote an article about this some years ago. Never rely on the indicator. Wait for the first sign of a turn, the driver turning her head in the intended direction, the car starting its move. I never depend on the other driver's indicator as a prediction that can be relied upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Unfortunately if you had hit him you would be in the wrong even though he had indicated that he was turning.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

My golden rule of driving which has served me well all these years: never assume anything, except that they will do wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I had a woman do this to me during my full license test and because of it I failed.
    She signalled to turn and didn’t turn but she hit the breaks and apologised while letting me go.
    Obviously neither of us were driving fast. I gave her the death stare and yeah failed my test. I learned a valuable lesson though.
    Never trust an indicator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

steo_magra wrote: »
    [...]

^^ This. ^^

My personal rule is even wider - trust nobody. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

CiniO wrote: »
    Why?

He had right of way. You are supposed to drive only the distance you can see to be clear. You cannot assume anything in your path will move. Look at the guard in Cork last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Bike indicators don't cancel automatically like in cars. You have to remember to turn them off and sometimes even if you hit the button they still don't turn off.

GM228 wrote: »
    And interestingly you see drivers of cars, vans, trucks etc also doing this and they can hear them...

And how do you think a biker can hear them exactly, because they would have had ear plugs in, a helmet on, the wind blowing and the motor running.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

zubair wrote: »
    And how do you think a biker can hear them exactly, because they would have had ear plugs in, a helmet on, the wind blowing and the motor running.

I never said a biker can hear them :confused:

Re-read what I posted and the post I replied to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

If I went by indicators on a round about I would have been in ten thousand accidents by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

zubair wrote: »
    Bike indicators don't cancel automatically like in cars. You have to remember to turn them off and sometimes even if you hit the button they still don't turn off.

My current ones do and the indicators on my past 3 bikes did. They're common enough on most modern bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

It’s in the rules of the road not to trust indicators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

Like others have said don't rely on indicators. Especially indicators from a vehicle 2nd in a queue.

Thanks lads, I'll take it on the chin and move on. Thankfully nobody was hurt and I'll learn the lesson for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

One memory as a child long before I ever drove is still stuck in my head regarding this.
    We were at a T-junction, 1 car back, the majority of the traffic is always coming from the right out of Clonmel, turning left for Dungarvan.

The car in front began to move when a 52 seater bus that was indicating left drove straight on through.

He had indicated left to exit the roundabout 3-400 yards before and the indicator never turned off.

The family in the car in front were inches away from been bits getting collected off the road.

Never trusted an indicator since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

joujoujou wrote: »
    ^^ This. ^^

My personal rule is even wider - trust nobody. :cool:

This is the rule I live by (well drive by).

Just think that everyone else on the road are idiots. Helps a lot.

It's noticeably so much worse on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

CiniO wrote: »
    Why?

Have a read through this and then come back with anything you don't understand. There are people here who are happy to guide you to be a safe driver.
    http://www.drivinglessonsdublin.ie/rules.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,266 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Wheety wrote: »
    This is the rule I live by (well drive by).

Just think that everyone else on the road are idiots. Helps a lot.

It's noticeably so much worse on Sundays.

I think that is just a good rule in general.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The best thing to do is to expect all other drivers to suddenly accelerate directly into you. If you work from that assumption you'll be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

w211 wrote: »
    I had about a week ago situation where car shows the clear sign to turn left. My car was on that left turn road and I start moving out because the signal was clear over 3 cycles. Unfortunately the driver means the next road, the gas station. We did not had accident only thanks for slow speed. It was the close call.
    Happened last night to me in carrigaline and to make matters worse he actually stopped on the roundabout ,taking instructions from front passenger who was gesturing wildy with phone stuck in her face,I'd say he couldn't see past her head ,and probably couldn't see me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

steo_magra wrote: »
    I had a woman do this to me during my full license test and because of it I failed.
    She signalled to turn and didn’t turn but she hit the breaks and apologised while letting me go.
    Obviously neither of us were driving fast. I gave her the death stare and yeah failed my test. I learned a valuable lesson though.
    Tough going bud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Had the same experience recently though there was no speed involved. It's quite scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Sometimes a driver will indicate too soon, giving the impression that he's turning onto a road when he actually intends to turn onto the one following it. If the radio is too loud in a car a driver may fail to notice that the indicator is on. You can never trust an indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Tough going bud

It was indeed but I passed my test next time around and it was a valuable lesson I suppose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Never trust other drivers

Advertisement