Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow / Ice warning Mon 21 pm to Tues 22 Jan 2019

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Like Vilain, drop of circa 3c on clearance here,the 6.6c max was only an hour ago
    Not much rain here ,only started around 4pm

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1087424347659292672?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Heavy showers with a mix of hail and sleet Letterkenny, dirty night out there

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Knock reporting sleet at 1900.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Had a short snow shower, the roof of my van is white.
    SE Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Had a short snow shower, the roof of my van is white.
    SE Sligo.

What colour is the rest of the van ?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

What colour is the rest of the van ?? :)

Ha! dark blue :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Ha! dark blue :D

A mountainy area in Sligo is a good oul spot fot snow, from westerlies, north westerlies, northerlies. I think hills in Cavan can get it from all spots.

Easterlies probably the only one not so good. You're guranteed a snowfall or two every winter above 250m.

My homeplace is high ground south east Laois. Usually we get snow every winter, very seldom we don't. However a north westerly has often dried up by the time it's down here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

here in South Meath we get snow every winter, but for the majority of winters it usually amounts to nothing more than a bare and temporary dusting, usually from a north-westerly.

We usually have to rely on an easterly or north-easterly for any measurable snow. Last winter was an exceptional winter in my area with one decent snowfall from the north-west and several minor dustings before we even got to the Beast From The East/Storm Emma.

So far this winter not a flake, not even sleet or hail. If I don't see snow, even a bare dusting by 11.59pm on February 28th, this would be the first winter in my living memory with no lying snow whatsoever. I can't see February passing without lying snow of some description, so let's see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Gonzo wrote: »
    here in South Meath we get snow every winter, but for the majority of winters it usually amounts to nothing more than a bare and temporary dusting, usually from a north-westerly.

We usually have to rely on an easterly or north-easterly for any measurable snow. Last winter was an exceptional winter in my area with one decent snowfall from the north-west and several minor dustings before we even got to the Beast From The East/Storm Emma.

So far this winter not a flake, not even sleet or hail. If I don't see snow, even a bare dusting by 11.59pm on February 28th, this would be the first winter in my living memory with no lying snow whatsoever. I can't see February passing without lying snow of some description, so let's see what happens.

You may be in luck tonight

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big blustery shower of hail just gone through here near Tralee, wind avg 27 km/h atm, gusting close to 60 km/h

The last shower knocked the temp down by nearly 2C to 4.2C , Dp 2.1C . Front dropped 5mm

Plenty of big showers on the way in tonight, looks like snow in Northern counties atm

Oju4X1G.jpg

B7FyI40.gif

iP0Whge.png

puG7TmF.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

There was a few flutters of snow and a clap of thunder at about 6.30pm up at 290m asl over Slieve Thoul near Brittas in Dublin earlier.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

An opportunity to see how the models perform with predicting snowfall.

kgMcGzl.png

30-780UK_rbm8.GIF

hirlamuk-45-29-0_urc3.png

aromehd-56-29-0_ixc4.png

nmm_uk1-45-34-4_lql0.png

Icon not going there

ARPEGE underwhelming as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Not quite as mountainy as Mountainy Man - just out for a walk and it's clear but crisp underfoot already - frosty and chilly. Winter has arrived with daffodils.

South Sligo
    90M asl

Recent Temperatures and Dew points

temp_uk_ugk6.png

pointrosee_uk_jaa0.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Gonzo wrote: »

It stays the bit longer with altitude. You'd get a day or 2 out of a snowfall that i'd find would be gone in 2 hrs in Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I cant wait to wake up to 1-2cm of water tomoro;)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Moderate snow. Donegal town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Met Eireann alert now only valid til 11 tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

There’s something magic about even the word snow to me maybe simply because we get feck all!If I don’t get any here in the next 4 weeks I’ve a trip to Iceland booked so hopefully see a bit there! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I should be preparing for an interview tomorrow, but the prospect of a Level 1 Snow/Ice warning has me here instead. Priorities!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Seen some flashes of Lightning about 2 hours ago, showers of hail in the mix aswell. (Donegal)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I should be preparing for an interview tomorrow, but the prospect of a Level 1 Snow/Ice warning has me here instead. Priorities!

Tell them this is far more important as the very trustworthy MSM have informed us that this is a life threatening event and we'll have snow walls on our windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Pangea wrote: »
    Seen some flashes of Lightning about 2 hours ago, showers of hail in the mix aswell.

THUNDERSNOW!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The loss of location info on boards is a bit of a nuisance.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

That is a permanent annoyance for me on these threads.

"Its snowing here where I am".

And where TF is that?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

That is a permanent annoyance for me on these threads.

"Its snowing here where I am".

And where TF is that?!?

Jamaica

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

It has become extremely windy here in past twenty minutes, could hear it coming down the chimney, went outside to check and very loud wind blowing in a little drizzle. South County Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

First time I've noticed that! Time for a feedback thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,963 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Leaving aside the utterly ridiculous snow I experienced in Kildare last March the three best snowfall events of my lifetime all came from direct northerlies (1995, 2000 and 2010).

Froze were the days! The 2000 event was perfect timing, it snowed for nearly alll of christmas week. I would love to see something like that and 2010 again.

However, Oneiric is right, events like that sadly seem to be a thing of the past due to what's happening in the Arctic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Have a look at Donegal Weather Channel on facebook, lots of photos of snow this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

sdanseo wrote: »

I think there is - D'aul catch all GDPR excuse.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Give me hope Joanna!

She is forecasting decent snow showers tonight. At least the mountains will be white which is a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

and we have our first sleet shower of the the year in Cork City ladies and gents!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

sdanseo wrote: »

There isn't a current Feedback thread, but there is one in the Helpdesk:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057944113

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I think there is - D'aul catch all GDPR excuse.

Location is optional.
    Spear wrote: »
    There isn't a current Feedback thread, but there is one in the Helpdesk:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057944113

I found some thread in there and commented. Moderated, so can't check my history to show you which one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭lolie

Light snow shower falling now, s cavan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Lashing rain here until a couple hours ago (Tipp/Kilkenny border) Clear sky now and very windy. Temperature down to about 3 but it feels much lower. Roads are going to be a nightmare in the morning around here and I’ve to be an hours drive away at 9am for a hospital appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Lashing rain here until a couple hours ago (Tipp/Kilkenny border) Clear sky now and very windy. Temperature down to about 3 but it feels much lower. Roads are going to be a nightmare in the morning around here and I’ve to be an hours drive away at 9am for a hospital appointment.

For whiplash by any chance??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Give me hope Joanna!

She is forecasting decent snow showers tonight. At least the mountains will be white which is a great start.
    Good man Eddie, 2 Jamaicans here tonight. On a snow thread. What are the odds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

TheDriver wrote: »
    For whiplash by any chance??

If you give him a lift it’s a car with aDriver and Whiplashy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

Temperature drop during that thundery squall this evening

EB076260-57-B7-4554-B06-A-58078-AEE1-FD5.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Should be an exciting drive to work in the morning about 4:30 in the Curragh. Hopefully see some white gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

quite visibly sleeting in cork city now. Can see the drop hitting the car and can see them dissappering like ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A messy mix of rain, hail and sleet in Letterkenny, the odd snowflake settling on the wheelie bin out the back but immediately melting, exciting stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

quite visibly sleeting in cork city now. Can see the drop hitting the car and can see them dissappering like ice.

Exactly the same here in limerick city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

For the second night in a row , the car is frozen over , Laois .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

A whopping 1-3 cm of snow forecast at Knock overnight and up to 11 am.

EIKN AD WRNG 02 VALID 212300/221100 SNOW FBL 1 TO 3CM FCST =

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

How desperate have we become that we are posting about the odd snow showers here and there ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

A whopping 1-3 cm of snow forecast at Knock overnight and up to 11 am.

EIKN AD WRNG 02 VALID 212300/221100 SNOW FBL 1 TO 3CM FCST =

I reckon Knock will get >3cm, given that we already have a scattered covering on low ground in Roscommon and its only turned to heavy wet snow (after heavy cold rain sleet) in the last 15 mins

Advertisement